1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

And now I want the lesbian bar to be one of H.I.V.E Academy legal business.

"An Academy of evil owns a lesbian bar? I... Don't know what to say to that."

"You would be surprised how many arguments with family about your sexual orientation tended to end in becoming a supervillain. Things are a tad better nowadays."

2. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Yeah....I'm kinda done with this arc. Overgirl is a disgusting character I want nothing to do with. While I still think Maxx's approach to kill them all is wrong (Daryl Davis's approach is both more moral and more effective in the long run) if I encountered someone like Overgirl I would get the hell away from them as soon as I possibly could.

Vorian, DAT_NOOB, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  3. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Honestly? Not really. I have a trans friend who was born in Russia. She doesn't pass for cis, even a little bit; if you are paying any attention and are aware that meeting a trans person on the street is a real thing that happens, you will clock her instantly from across the street.
    But in Russia, which is pretty damn bigoted against queer people of any variety, she only gets shit from the government and healthcare, because those are the only people who know the gender marker on her birth certificate says "male".

I think it's fair to say that Angelika's Germania is more bigoted than modern Russia. And she knew, at a gut level, that Gerri/Donner was a good person. And also knew at a gut level (incorrectly) that homosexuals were bad, subhuman people. Most likely the possibility that she was a lesbian wouldn't even have occurred to her unless she saw it happen repeatedly.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  4. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

It wouldn't really be a good point. Their science continued to progress after the end of the war. The mistakes they made in the 30s and 40s are long behind them. It's entirely possible (especially with Kryptonian technology available to them) that while their opinions on what traits are desirable is biased, their overall genetic science is solid now and they do happen to know how to monitor for actual genetic disorders in addition to their biased ideas.

You have to keep due process in mind. She hasn't been proven guilty of any of those crimes, and punishing someone for assumed crimes leads to things like the bloody noses you were JUST complaining about.

Ooh. That looks good. I might have to see if I can find some.

5. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Nazi. So, no, I really don't. I also recall not a single trial before OL wiped out a race. Or a trial before members of the OLC wiped out another race behind his back.

I'm actually rather sickened by all the "Be fair to the Nazi!" cheerleading in the chapter thus far.

I don't recall even mentioning a bloody nose.....like at all.

Or are you talking about the gay boy getting the shit knocked out of him for confessing to his crush? Because there isn't an assumed crime there. Just panic over the subhuman gay admitting his gayness and attraction to you.

Now, are you equating that, as in being gay and assaulted for it, to being a member of a genocidal regime that has murdered at least 6 million people?

Because I might have a hard time accepting that.

6. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

It should be noted that OL was opposed to that second genocide.

The first one occurred during ongoing hostilities. That doesn't excuse it, but it changes the context of the ethical discussion. It's not really a parallel.

It's not "be fair to the Nazi." Be fair to the person who was indoctrinated as a child through no fault of her own, who has a meaningful chance of redemption, who could have the ability to go back and change a world for the better.

Or is it better to kill one Nazi than it is to stop an entire world of them?

I'm equating beating someone up because you assume they're morally depraved and beating someone up because you assume they're morally depraved. That one category offends your personal senses and the other doesn't has little bearing on the ethics of the matter. "I really really don't like them" isn't a defense.

7. Maxx Crowley

Which is meaningless as he didn't even slap any wrists. Though, knowing OL, he was more upset not to be included then he was that it was done.

Ah yes, the "ethical" rules that make it sort of okay this time, but not that time. One was a race that was decimated because OL wanted them out of the way. The other was a race that was decimated because another OL wanted them out of the way.

That sucks. But I'm fairly certain that more than a few hitler youth caught a bullet or two.

Why not both?

And, lets be serious here, one person cannot change the world.

My personal senses govern pretty much everything I do.

As for the ethics of the matter. I don't give a fuck: Nazi.

Of course, I can accept OL being a hypocrite. All humans are. But he's still the guy who has assaulted, murdered, tortured, mind controlled, and genocided. But the cute Nazi gets a pass because she might be useful.

Gold K her, gather up a group from each of the affected Holocaust victims, and have a party.

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Punishing the people who did that would have effectively required that he take over the region and bring in significant Orange Lantern Corps resources to impose a settlement.
    No, he killed far more than one in ten.
    He has killed a lot of people, but I'm not sure about murder. Or torture. Murder requires a stable society with fairly enforced laws, and Vega doesn't have that.

And to be fair, he's giving Canis a pass too and across the galaxy there are far more people afraid of Apokolips than some weird human cult that barely lasted a decade.
    You realise that the holocaust happened at least a decade before she was born, right? Overgirl has never even met a Jew.

9. Sharp Card

Sharp Card Getting out there.

Mr Zoat : I think Maxx Crowley represents a tiny minority view (at least, judging by the relative like count he's been getting in this thread) and has explicitly stated he isn't going to change his mind on anything related to this topic, so I wouldn't get too worked up about what he says.

10. Mr Zoat

Humans naturally react against the things that hurt them. Maxx has encountered some very homophobic people in real life -some of whom were his family- and quite reasonably takes a strong dislike of this homophobic character.

I on other other hand got thrown off a website in a kangaroo court for politely disagreeing with the administrators. As such, I react by trying to engage with people who disagree with me rather than dismissing them, both because I want to persuade them and can't to that without dialogue and because I accept that I could be wrong.

Maxx doesn't have to like her. As she is now she isn't a very nice person and would quite happily send... Say, Dr Kameya, off to a death camp due to her sexual orientation. However, she is also capable of reforming and becoming a far better person, someone who -among other things- wouldn't do that and would view it as quite wrong. Despite being a Hellenist, the SI believes quite strongly in reform -where practical- and redemption. The Renegade path is of course always another option.

11. Maxx Crowley

Yeah, that sounds like a big pain in the ass. Way too much work. Sucks for the planet they burned though. Hopefully, they got some sensitivity training

Good to kniw.

He has deliberately inflicted pain upon others for information. Demon John for instance, and he did make that group that was with Prankster shit themselves. I would count those as instances of torture.

Beyond that, rules lawyering at its finest. Love you Zoat XD.

I had forgotten about Canis. The team shows up so little these days.

I did not know that. Now I do.

Sucks to be her in hypothetical Maxx SI land

No one should get too worked up about any of this.

Zoat is going to write his story, and good on him. Genuinely, good on him.

But comments are comments and as long as everyone stays on topic and in the rules, we can say what we want/feel.

Also, unless Zoat asks for help, and minus a in good fun push for Kon/OL, I'm not here to change his story.

12. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I'm not saying it makes it okay. I'm saying it makes the circumstances different enough that the arguments can't be directly compared. Philosophers and ethicists have debated over war for millennia and a couple guys arguing on the Internet aren't going to make some brilliant observation that resolves those long-lasting dilemmas, but when it comes to how individual people treat individual other people we can have meaningful discussion.

Of course. But even though the Hitler Youth were known to rat out their own families, there were also people who were recognized as members of the Nazi community while covertly working to help people escape.

Adolf Hitler was one person. The world has clearly changed.

One person can't change the world by themselves, but one person in the right place at the right time with the right thing to say can start a movement.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Bramble Thorn like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

Yes, running a city is a lot of work. Running a stellar cluster is a HUGE amount of work. Drop-every-other-project-mind-control-millions-to-make-it-even-possible amounts of work.
    Objectively, the psions were worse than the Nazis, having been doing it for longer and actually being competent at it. You've been saying that you would cheerfully kill someone for associating with the Nazis, regardless of their personal involvement in genocide, murder, or other offences. You think I'm giving Overgirl special treatment. Okay. Why are you giving the psions special treatment?
    They didn't.

Ngamer11, Darko, Cuchulin and 7 others like this.
  14. Maxx Crowley

Definately fall behind on your netflix.

Man...aliens are always better then humans.

No, I think Orange Lantern is giving her special treatment. While based upon, has been stated many a time, he is not you.

As for Psion treatment, I bring them and the Citadel up as examples of what has already been done to the "But the morals! The ethics!" Crowd.

She can get the same fire as them as far as I am concerned.

Damn, gotta get that OLC HR number.

15. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Not sure if this has been asked, because I haven't had time to read all the posts, but what would the Renegade do if Overgirl had showed up in his timeline? Assuming that he gets notified about the Bleed tear in the first place (does he have scanners in that area?).

Which also reminds me, I know Renegade dismissed the rumor of the Spear of Destiny, but I do feel like he would make the serious effort to track it down at some point, and given he has an Atlantean nation and Circe as allies, I don't think Krieger could effectively evade him if he was actively looking for it.

Thirdly, as far as I'm aware, you've stated that you have no plans for Paragon and Renegade to meet, but wouldn't the latter also be involved in the upcoming Crisis? Though it would be amusing and kind of poetic if there are so many Pauls that the primary two of the story just join different cliques and never meaningfully interact (Renegade with Sybarite, Red and Anti-Green would be a fun group to watch).

Ngamer11, Ardy, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  16. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Huh, that actually explains a lot to me about myself thanks Zoat.

Ardy likes this.
  17. Maxx Crowley

I'm actually just touched that you remembered. You're a good guy Zoat.

I'd rather just watch some Sumo. I think the next Basho happens soon. Are you a fan?

Yes, it would be a small tragedy to have them caught in the crossfire. To be clear, if Overgirl had shown up as one of them, stating those kinds of feelings, I wouldn't be so hard on her. To be frank...heritage-wise, I'm a proud Mutt. With so many mixes that it doesn't really matter anymore. But some of those mixed people further back in my bloodline lived in Germany. Do the math.

I wouldn't really say he changed the world, because then I'd have to give Stalin that credit too. Impacted the world certainly...but was it really one world one day, then another the next? I'm not sure. Around that time frame, I think dropping the A-bomb changed the world.

Fair enough.

But the SI is one person, and I am another. I won't claim to be a great person, or even a good one most days. I strongly believe in retribution, in fighting back. In making sure the bill has been paid.

Sadly, I'm no Charles Xavier.

(Properly written) Magneto for me.

erebus1994 and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

He hired a girl who murdered her maths teacher. He probably wouldn't bother trying to reform her.
    He could, but the Renegade really isn't worrying about him.

Ngamer11, erebus1994, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That's why this thing called "delegation" exists.

Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  20. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Would be fun seeing her and Scandal interact then. I don't remember why Elise murdered her teacher but I feel like the Renegade would have some reaction to her Nazism and try to turn in some typically Renegade asshole-who-gets-results kind of way. But he has enough super-strong women flying around (often literally) so I can see him thinking she's not worth it.

It's less about Krieger and more about the Spear of Destiny, which Renegade should very well know is out there. As a tool or weapon that could conceivably kill or counter Darkseid, or more mundanely be used by a typical supervillain, I feel like it should be a priority to track it down. If crossover kelpie-amulets are worth his time, this should be too.

Could be fun to see some Church figures getting in contact with him, like the battle monks John Constantine met, especially after his activities in the UK and his public appearances discussing non-Earth religions. The Church in either timeline doesn't seem interested in actually interacting with the SIs, besides Paragon-Mattias.

Ngamer11, Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I found it fun to read-up on kryptonite - some of the Pre-Crisis stuff was really, really, weird, one-shot, throw-aways. Green seems to have been the most stable over time, red was the 'humour' kryptonite, gold was the permanent powers killer, with no (known) antidote. Of course, seeing as this is QQ, and the current plot, pink might interest some. :)

DrThoth and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I haven't taken the time to seriously follow it but I have a whole lot of respect for the art.

23. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Overgirl is like Purity from Worm in that she has started to not believe the Nazi ideology.

And unlike Purity she is less of a hypocrite and murderer.

Think of it as her growing in a cult.

If instead of Nazis we had an Emperor of Earth Superman who used more or less facist methods only worse since he did lobotomies ala Red Son and the Justice Lords, would you still be so disgusted with Overgirl or want her to change sides?

Aoinfinity, Ngamer11, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  24. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

So I just did some research and if what I found is accurate the US only formally legalised Homosexuality nationwide in 2003, which means that theoretically if Overgirl does change her views and successfully gets Earth 10 to legalise it they'd be less than ten years behind the curve of the supposed Land of the Free

Obviously it isn't a one to one comparison since, you know, America didn't kill people for being Homosexual and several states legalised it in the '70s but that's still uncomfortably recent

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    DrThoth and Ardy like this.
  25. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Perriwinkle and Silver are good for humour too.

Silver- Superman "This isn't Taco Bell! Sniff sniff. Someone's baking brownies in Texas. Who wants brownies?"

DrThoth and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Maxx Crowley

Oh they people'd us friend. They people'd us hard.

Thankfully, their cakes are safe. Which is all I'll be saying about that, rules and all.

First boy I ever kissed, and wrote a letter to at 12 (which was about as vanilla as it could be because...well 12, what the fuck did we know?) got body slammed on the ground by his two older cousins until he vomited twice. His dad found the note, and decided as a good christian, of a good christian country, this just couldn't stand. "This is America! You'll be a real American, boy!" (Whatever the fuck that means) So he went and got his Brother's two older boys (Like 17), brought them over, and stood there while they picked up his son and body slammed him on the ground over, and over, and over. His whole back was a bruise.

I don't know if he ever said it was me that wrote it. But after he told me what happened, he never spoke to me again after that.

Land of the Free. Be afraid, or they'll freedom the fuck out of you.

27. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

I'm honestly rather impressed by the parallel you've been building between yourself and overgirl here. It's a remarkable example of how being opposed to someone who's in the wrong doesn't mean you're not just as wrong.
    It's kinda like watch an eating competition, like, wow imagining myself in your shoes makes me slightly nauseous but I'm still amazed.

reddraggone9, Cuchulin and DAT_NOOB like this.
  28. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Huh. I'm kinda surprised that I've been staying out of things...

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  29. Maxx Crowley

I was totally wondering how long it'd be before someone compared me to a nazi.

And that's about all the rules allow me to say to you. But rest assured, I'm thinking just what you can go do right now. Good day.

My man, I like you more already.

True Ninja and Ngamer11 like this.
  30. ⸺⸺⸺

⸺⸺⸺

del

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    DAT_NOOB, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.