1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Caerwen

Caerwen Know what you're doing yet?

Let's hope he doesn't lose best earring. Come to think of it. Sinestro suddenly talking to Luna might freak her a bit.

2. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Two episodes totalling forty chapters, or two episodes of 40 chapters each?

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Two episodes totaling into 40 chapters along with some parts about alternate SI's and paragon chapters.
    At least i think it will be this.

Cuchulin, Ardy and RichardWhereat like this.
  4. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

TIL that the English separated the original meaning of villain into an alternative spelling.
    Here in France, "vilain" still means both "peasant" and "being mean" (although both are out of fashion).

5. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Okay. So Luna/Grayven otp.

6. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

[Because-He-Is-A-Troll-Zoat]Yes.[/Because-He-Is-A-Troll-Zoat]
    [Also-Zoat-Still-A-Troll]SI doesn't know.[/Also-Zoat-Still-A-Troll]

7. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

IIRC Sombra has fear-inducing and other mindfuckery powers. Between the yellow ring and anti-life taint, his metaphysical presence probably feels just like Sombra's.

8. Ideomancer

Ideomancer Getting out there.

From context, I'd actually infer less the Dresden Files concept of Mantling and more something like what's found in the Elder Scrolls, where someone adopts a divine role hard enough that even the original entity they're mantling starts to be affected and changed in some fashion by their influence on the mythology surrounding it as a primer to the mortals ascension (as happened with Talos) to a novel divine role of their own, or potentially supplanting/subsuming the original entity entirely. To "walk like them until they must walk like you", in a way the direct converse of Dresden Files Mantles, stealing power and authority from and imposing something of mortal nature on the entity being 'mantled'.

Obviously it's not a perfect comparison to Grayven's actual situation with Conquest, but I can see why the term gets invoked.

Gantradies, Vorian, MasterG and 3 others like this.
  9. Timetech

Timetech Getting some practice in, huh?

Still fairly convinced nothing even remotely like manteling is canon to WTR, at least for NG powers. Perhaps something else that hasn't been encountered yet, but that seems highly unlikely given *how often* it's been refuted. (And it's in the faq)

Alexandercctv and Ardy like this.
  10. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

It's Starlight Glimmer and Sunset Shimmer.

I know they've all got basically the same name, but they are different ponies.

11. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Of course Celestia just catches them like that and takes pictures.

12. Mr Zoat

Funny you should say that. Originally, then end of tomorrow's episode had Celestia turning up. Then I realised that wouldn't work with what else I wanted to do with the episode, so she's now launching ships in Manehattan instead and will return to the capital in the next episode.

13. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

FAQ really needs corrected. It's annoying that it mentions mantling in reference to Dresden Files instead of Elder Scrolls. And of all the things I COULD get annoyed at around here, THAT's the one that bugs me....

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think New Gods get their powers from whatever domain they embody. They become gods of something by doing certain things and trying to adopt a certain mindset.
    Desaad could have for example been torturing people for some time and adopting a sadistic mindset until he gained the powers of a god of sadism and torture, like maybe having an instinctual knowledge of how to hurt someone even if he doesn't know anything about their biology or how they function and possibly causing anyone in his presence to feel pain. I think Zoat said that Desaad briefly confused renegade for Darkseid because he couldn't feel his soul and Darkseid supreses his power to the point where others can't feel him.

Metron could have been a knowledge seeker before he became a god of knowledge and because he dedicated himself to obtaining knowledge he became a god of it and gained powers of a knowledge deity, like super intelligence.
    Orion could have dedicated himself to warfare, specifically the positive aspects, and began to embody those aspects, while Kalibak focused on the horrifying aspects of warfare and became the Horror of War.

15. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Oh no, the one shipping them is Cadance, then? She is still in Canterot by this time period.

Chaoswind, masterofmadness and Darko like this.
  16. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Has Grayven always been this garbage at lanterning? I mean, he's worse than pre-enlightenment Illustress Paul. Now this makes me curious how Renegade managed for the first season's chapters and challenges, before meeting that Fatherbox.

17. Mr Zoat

This is set at roughly the same time as the Equestria Girls film; after series 4 and before series 5.
    He's less good, certainly, but I think I made it clear in the text that he isn't actually trying to seriously hurt her.

[​IMG]

18. Redhawk

Redhawk Getting out there.

I think he’s weaker this arc just cuz of where he is right now, figuring out how to be a pony and participating in what promises to be the most adorable fight in the entire fic.

19. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

For some reason, with the description, I kind of see Graven's "pony" form as something like a winged version of the FFX Ixion

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  20. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

You're enjoying this too much. Way too much.

Just thought I'd let you know. :D

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Renegade may simply be a very skilled wielder of orange rings.
    Paul is on a class of his own. I am pretty sure that even if someone else gets orange enlightenment they will still be inferior to Paul seeing as his soul is made of orange light.

22. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

Ok, I laughed out loud at this one.

Ngamer11, erebus1994, Vorian and 3 others like this.
  23. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Zoat is happy.

Yeah it was fairly obvious that he is trying to not hurt her, the construct tried to stop her by holding her in place, the dialog portraits Grayven reluctance to hit back, the only solid hit was on accident and he ended it in a grapple to try to subdue her... Its why the bite has me worried as QQ really opens up the possibilities of how this fight will develop.

Then again star crossed are the best two episodes of renegrayven so this one being similar bodes well for the amount of entertainment... We just may need some bleach to wash up the smell of the thread afterwards.

24. Mr Zoat

This is the SFW section. The only difference here is that I can link to NSFW material if I make it obvious that's where the link goes.

25. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Wait isn't the whole site NSFW... Oh I guess you are right.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

When are you going to make a new NSFW chapter Zoat?

Cuchulin, DAT_NOOB and True Ninja like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Pass.

28. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

Wait, so does this mean the recruitment of Luna into the OLC will happen on another Wilson? Or it was just an Ambush Bug illusion and it's not going to happen?

Grayven has really always used his rings more for Scanning/Communication/Inventory/Real-Time-Fabrication than for combat directly.

He mostly uses New God armor and weaponry for combat, or the Sword of the Fallen. He uses aerodiscs for flight rather than his rings. He uses purple healing rays to heal othersinstead of ring healing for most injuries, only using his yellow ring for stuff like reversing age or degenerative genetic conditions. He uses Velocity 9 instead of Ring mental acceleration. He uses Motherbox Boomtubes for long-distance travel instead of Ring Transitioning or Honden-of-Avarice teleportation. Honestly, half the time he needs minion fodder, he uses drone swarms rather than construct soldiers.

And that's before the Pony Magic of the WAAAAAGH messed with his constructs.

He didn't do ring training with the GLs on earth like Paulragon did, and he's consistently looked for other options instead of using his rings. So its no wonder he doesn't seem to be a match for pre-enlightenment Paul in terms of Lanterning.

Sceptic, Ngamer11, Darko and 5 others like this.
  29. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

True, but the flip side of that is that Grayven is FAR less dependent on his rings when something messes with them most of the time. For example if that issue with Truggs neural chaff grenades happened to Gravyven, he could have either powered through on spite and his training from Chester, or simply bent Bane into a pretzel with brute strength and durability.

Paul uses his rings exclusively, and while at first he did plan for a backup handgun, and also the various utility features of his power armour, Paul is still generally dependent on accessing most of his alternative options for attack and defense via the ring's storage (railgun ammo types, grenades, construct freeze ray guns etc). Grayven tends to carry his alternatives with him as part of his general kit (because walking about with a magitech sword and ray guns is the New Gods Stock and Trade), or have access to alternatives via boom tubes, which his motherbox OR the challanger base station can open independently of his ring based FTL and Storage.

Paul gets a fair amount of milage out of his empathic powers, and the minor mental and physical tweaks he's performed on himself, but aside from his various marks of unpowered and powered armour suits, he doesn't carry much else, and instead phones a friend on the team or corps. Which has a utility all it's own.

30. Threadmarks: Equestrian Girls (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

1st April 2012
    22:33 GMT -6

Right on the-! Flipping-! Neck!

I retaliate with a weak headbutt, but she's already leaning out of easy range in an attempt to bring her horn to bear! I wrench us left, causing us to roll, floor, corridor and ceiling flashing past as I go above and then below her! As she goes down the impact of her head against the floor breaks her concentration and her horn goes out. Rallying, she waits until she's above me once more and then pulls back at a sharper angle to fuck!

I just about get my head in position to awkwardly parry her attempted horn-stab, the smooth surface of my horn causing her face-spear to slide along it rather than locking. Our equine faces slam together, the muscles of our necks straining as we each try to push the other's head back! Ah, horse diaphragm should be there… I shift my hind legs up her body and squeeze! She grunts as I compress her lungs then flaps her wings, lifting us both into the air once more. I flap my own and ow, okay, mistake! She wiggles enough to bite the membrane of the left wing and it turns out that it's pretty vulnerable. I'm not sure whether my New God resilience just got replaced by alicornism or her bite is just that strong but-. Her neck's exposed! Carotid artery is there and I-.

That's a hoof. I don’t have hands, because I'm a pony.

It's surprisingly easy to forg-.

Waagh!

Oof.

The middle of her body might have been better for squeezing, but it wasn't quite so good for holding on. With my right forehoof off as well, one uneven flap was enough to fling us apart. I wiggle back into a lying position and then-.

Shield!

Luna's war beam.. splashes off my weak.. construct.. barrier..? Huh? I was getting ready to dodge out of the way, but it looks like I can take it. Sinestro, any ideas?

Perhaps her arcane abilities are limited to specific fields, and those do not include direct-

Luna ceases her assault, spreading her wings and floating in the air as a blue shimmer surrounds her body. I rise to my hooves, maintaining my barrier as I do so.

-war magics? Or possibly those-

The blue light intensifies, and as it dims I see that Luna has moved to her second stage.

-guards you dismissed earlier have spread their fear to the rest of the garrison?

Those were g-?

Luna thaumokinetically thrusts her spear at me, the tip effortlessly piercing my construct as I sidestep-. As I fall over to avoid it. Okay, construct to keep myself vertical as Luna recalls her spear. Draw my sword or not? Since this appears to be a low power interpretation version of Equestria, the daiklave -let alone the Sword of the Fallen- could probably kill her. And that armour doesn't look like it's up to taking serious hits.

Plus, I've.. had to reforge it after every significant fight I've used it in...

She floats her spear just behind her head, which isn't actually a sensible place to hold a spear. A javelin maybe, but with a spear she should be advancing, using her superior reach combined with small thrusts to force me back. Or… Maybe she's not sure whether or not it actually will pierce my armour and she doesn't want to risk getting back within grabbing range.

I grin.

"Is that a spear, or are you just pleased to see me?"

"We hath never been less pleased to see any being, thou dew-beating-"

She thrusts again to emphasise her point. Aim, aim-

"-clodomite!"

-and flap!

I hurtle past her spear, the left side of the blade lightly grazing the armour of my criniere. Luna's eyes widen as I slam into her chest to chest, knocking her into the ceiling -ugh- and then landing on her as we fall to the floor.

"Ough."

There's a clatter as she loses her arcane grip on the spear, and it looks like her armour is designed to prevent piercing damage and not blunt trauma. But she's only dazed for a moment, her-. Ow, that's my nose you midget-horse! Right! I grapple her again and roll us down the corridor from which she originally approached, trying her to make her impacts against the hard floor just a little heavier than mine. The look of frustration on her face is…

"Heh."

I'm wrestling a pony princess in a castle full of tiny garish horse people.

"Heh."

Luna gets annoyed enough at my amusement that she flat out headbutts me again, but she can't get that much force behind the blow. She takes a moment to stare at me, then I press my forehead into hers, forcing the back of her head to the floor-.

"Grayven, what are you doing?"

Luna and I both look around-. Sunset and Twilight are standing just this side of the mirror. Sunset appears puzzled, while Twilight is genuinely concerned.

Luna flexes, flipping me onto my back as her horn glows once more.

"Stand away, citizen!"

"Who are you?"

Luna's head jerks in Sunset's direction, clearly irritated. Though I'm not sure how much of that is with me and how much with the pony who couldn't know who she is due to having been on Earth since before she returned. Sunset spots her wings, frowns, then turns to Twilight and spots hers. Her frown turns into a glare, most likely aimed at the absent Princess Celestia.

"And why is everyone an alicorn now?"

"HaHAAhaha!"

"Hm." Twilight rubs her jaw with her right forehoof. "While it's an exaggeration to say that everypony is an alicorn, the population of alicorns has increased by one hundred percent since you left."

Sunset twitches, while Luna's horn glows as she recalls her sp-. I swing my head, banging my horn against hers, an action which causes her spell to fail and the spear to clatter once more to the floor.

"Ah… Mister Grayven? Why are you fighting Princess Luna?"

"She started i-hiheehahaha-t."

"Mine sister's 'prentice, explain thyself!"

"Prin-. Luna, you're shouting again."

"We hath goodly reason!"

Sunset turns her glare my way. "Grayven, what did you do to Princess Shouty?"

"I was just walking!"

"Who is this 'Graven' of whom thou speakst?"

"That's me." I raise my right forehoof and wave it in her face. "Hi."

She blinks. "Thou art not the fiend, Sombra?"

I give my head a little shake. "Don't even know who that is."

Alright, I do, but it's not as if he made much of an impression.

"Ah." She slumps slightly. "Then We fear that We may have-. No! Thou wert still attempting the scurrilous theft of Starswirl's Mirror! Explain thyself at once!"

"I'm from the other side, and I'm here to complain about you using my world as a dumping ground for dangerous relics and creatures." I crane my neck upwards towards her, smiling. "Which way to your complaints department?"

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020