1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat is Snowflame going to show up anytime in your story?

True Ninja likes this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Almost certainly not. I don't think I could improve on the version in the webcomic.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Is Highfather the god of leadership and monarchy in your story?

4. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

5. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

The third possibility would be that she's superpowerful, but not taking the threats seriously and using them as training exercises for Twilight.

I mean, there's the example of Sombra, who her and Luna had dealt with previously, that she sent Twilight to handle and literally called it a test.

That the nature of the show means that no one ever actually dies from these threats (as implausible as that sometimes is) means that she has a little more latitude in not dealing with them in the most efficient manner possible, without turning into fanon!Dumbledore.

I clearly missed any previous references to the MC having been familiar with MLP. Was he just not familiar with EQ, and so didn't know how Sunset fit into things, or did he know her backstory all along?

So, I had to reread this twice before realizing I was misreading the antecedent, and Sunset didn't suddenly have wings. Maybe "Sunset spots Luna's wings"?

Darko likes this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Something like that.
    I really hope not.
    When the SI left Earth the Equestria Girls film was relatively new, and he didn't know much about it.
    I... Think it's okay.

7. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Who or what is Snowflame?

Darko likes this.
  8. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

He’s a DC supervillain powered by cocaine. He’s sort of a fan favorite, though he was only published in one comic. He has pyrokinetic powers, super strength and speed, is immune to pain, and touching him gives you a “contact high” that get stronger the more “lit up” he gets. Here is a fan comic about him I saw a link to on this page last week.

These are the most famous strips with him; including him snorting literal fistfulls of cocaine:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  9. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Where is best chaos? Will be come a d explore this new world and meet 5th dimensional imps?

10. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Any reason why the comic ends abruptly in deviant art and their comic site doesn't exist anymore?

Anyways the thing is interesting, but I feel blue balled.

I am right here.

AngelicKnight. and Darko like this.
  11. Mr Zoat

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What?
    Yes. The writer was trying to get a thinly veiled rip of the character published. I don't believed it worked.

12. Threadmarks: Equestrian Girls (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

1st April 2012
    22:36 GMT -6

Luna looks down at me with an expression of bafflement on her face, then turns her head toward Twilight.

"Twilight Sparkle, who are these ponies?"

"They-."

"I'm Sunset Shimmer, Celestia's last student. The one before Twilight." Sunset snorts at the absent solar demigoddess. "Unless she's had others she didn't bother telling anyone about?"

Twilight's ears perk up. "You were-? I didn't-." She frowns. "Why didn't Celestia ever tell me about you?"

I can't help but look at Luna. And not just because having a powerful female lying on me after a period of physical exertion is causing me to become more than a little aroused under my armour. I'm surprised that she hasn't gotten off yet, actually. Maybe I'm comfortable? Or maybe it's a pony thing.

Sunset clenches her jaw. "I don't know."

"Hey, Luna?" She looks down at me and I give her a friendly smile. "Could you either get off… Or wriggle a bit more? I'm good either way…"

"Ah. We apologise." I feel her wiggling, and for a confused moment I think she's actually going for Option 2, which might be awkward. Then she gives her wings a brief flap, rising off me and landing on the floor next to me.

Um. How do I get upright? No, no, stop thinking like a pony. Ring, give me a push.

By your command.

A construct piston appears and shoves me, causing me to roll onto my stomach. And getting up feels a little easier this time. I think I'm getting the hang of being a quadruped.

"Why did you ask Us to 'wriggle more'?"

"I'll tell you when you're older."

"-is she, anyway?" Sunset's looking at Twilight as she jabs her right forehoof at Luna, who doesn't exactly look impressed about being referred to in the third pony.

"We are Princess Luna, Princess of Equestria and Alicorn of the Night."

Sunset turns to face her. She doesn't appear to be irritated with Luna, just a bit put out about the whole situation. "And where did you come from?"

Luna takes a step towards Sunset, clearly not entirely up to speed. Possibly not understanding why she's getting this level of backchat from a peasant. "We were banished to the moon for a millennium. We hath only returned these last fourteen months."

Sunset snorts, but this time with amusement rather than anger. "Oh, did you try reading a history book too?"

"What dost thou mean?"

Twilight blinks in confusion. "What?"

Sunset shakes her head and rolls her eyes. "I stopped being Celestia's student when I got banished for reading 'Canterlot Castle: A History'. Volume Two."

Twilight Sparkle sits down hard and starts to visibly sweat. "Princess Celestia b-b-b-banished you?"

Luna's eyes harden. "If thou wert banished then why hast thou returned?"

"Because I got banished for reading a history book! For trying to get an education and constantly being held back by her."

"Okay." I stride forward and put a restraining hoof across Sunset's chest. "Time out, my little pony. Deep breath." I get a small scowl again, but she closes her eyes for a moment and actually does take a deep breath. "Deep breath. The anger powers the engine; it doesn't turn the steering wheel."

She turns her head away. "I'm… Fffffine."

I lean down. "Does somepony need a hug?"

And the glare's back. "Does somepony need a buck to the snout?"

"Dunno. Never had a snout before." I look up -though still somewhat down, she's quite a bit shorter than me- at the off-balance Luna. "Hi there. We got off on the wrong foot. My name's Grayven."

She looks me over, her eyes pausing momentarily on my wings and horn. "We have never met an alicorn stallion. And We are curious how you came to be in a place you claim was used by Equestria for the dumping of 'dangerous relics and creatures' when you so resemble a manifested umbrum."

"Alicorn stallion? No no no. Present appearances notwithstanding. Starswirl's Mirror transforms you when you pass through it. I don't usually look like this. This is-" I look down at my ponified chest. "-its best attempt to interpret my nature in pony terms." I pause for a moment. "Or it's just messing with me. Could go either way. I get the impression that Starswirl was kind of an arse."

Luna doesn't appear to appreciate me insulting him. "Starswirl was a great scholar and a hero of Equestria."

"He also dumped problem individuals and magic items through a portal to another world. My world. It was too long ago for me to have good records on how many people died as a result of his unwillingness to deal with his problems himself rather than pawning them off on someone else, but it wasn't a small number. Be grateful I'm only calling him an arse."

"People died?"

"Those sirens who mind-controlled people into fighting each other? Following the myths, they rampaged around the world for a few hundred years before Prince Jon Haraldson slew them. The people on the other side of the mirror can use magic, but there aren't many with a high enough level of skill to cope with creatures like that."

Luna bows her head slightly. I think? With the long neck and the normal angle of equine faces it's a little difficult to parse the gesture. "In that case, We apologise on behalf of Equestria. We shall take back anyone or anything which Starswirl sent through to ensure that it no longer endangers your people."

"Nah." I shake my head. "We've pretty much dealt with them now, and you would not believe how much studying those relics has taught Sunset about how your magic works." I smile down at Sunset, raise my right forehoof, and lightly pat-.

"Get-" She bats my hoof away. "-off m-."

She blinks.

"Wait. Fourteen months?"

"Yes, our-."

"What year is it?"

Luna pauses a moment, clearly unaccustomed to being interrupted like this. "In the modern parlance, it is one thousand and one of the Celestia Era."

Sunset's eyes widen. "That's over fifteen years in the future-."

My eyes widen too as Sunset and I stare at each other.

"Fifteen to one time ratio-."

"Yes, I can count." She turns to face the mirror. "Ah…" Orange light surrounds her horn. "Okay, stabilising the link.. should…"

Twilight looks from her to me. "What's going on?"

"By our reckoning Sunset Shimmer came to Earth a year ago. But it's been over fifteen years here. That means that time moves at different rates on each side of the portal. Which is fine for a visit, but it could be a bit of a nuisance for longer stays."

"But it's not a problem-problem. You're immortal and I'm going to be. Having fifteen minutes pass here for every one there won't adversely affect either of us." Sunset bows her head, a lance of orange magic striking the mirror and spreading around its frame. "But this should make it easier to change in the future."

"Wait." Twilight stares at the mirror and then at Sunset. "You just… Changed the spells on Starswirl's Mirror? That's…"

Sunset tosses her mane. "Yeah, I'm pretty good at magic. But-."

"Fifteen to one! That means-!" Her horn glows for a moment, then she sighs with relief. "Oh good, I'm not too late."

"Twilight Sparkle." I think we've expended Luna's patience. "To what do you refer?"

She looks at Luna and puts on a ridiculous fake smile. "Nothing! And.. I.. just need to visit the train station really quickly for no reason. Back soon!"

She vanishes in a flare of purple.

"So apparently Celestia makes crazy mares princesses now." Sunset turns to Luna. "Why did she make her an alicorn?"

"Mine Sister doth not-."

"Sister?" Sunset sits down hard in shock. "Celestia didn't tell me she had a sister!"

Luna huffs and rolls her eyes. "Sister decided that expunging Us from the historical record would act to preserve Our good name."

"But the only night-related alicorn I remember reading about is-."

"Yes." Luna ruffles her wings slightly. "We were Nightmare Moon. Twice we attempted to bring about an era of eternal night and twice we were thwarted."

I smile. "Look on the bright side: you're really bad at evil."

Her eyes briefly alight on me. "We are uncertain that that is a beatitude."

I shr-. Oh. Ponies can't shrug. "Would you rather be highly skilled at evil? Because if so, I know some people?"

"Nightmare Moon." Sunset doesn't look as if she believes it. "Foal-or-candy-eating Nightmare Moon. And that was Celestia trying to preserve your reputation."

"Not all of Sister's plans bear their intended fruit. Something I believe thou hast experienced for thineself. Tell me, did Sister ever tell you of the Elements of Harmony?"

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  13. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

@ Mr Zoat, the update hasn’t been indexed.

14. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

I imagine this should be red

15. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

Missing closing speech marks.

16. Irked

Irked Experienced.

Well on the bright side Sunset meeting Luna rather than Celestia first means this is more likely to stay civil, easier to bond/sympathize with someone else who Celestia has wronged.

Edit: also once Twilight has had time to digest whats actually happened she's going to freak, Sunsets situation of getting banished for trying to learn seems like something straight out of her nightmares.

17. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Not surprised to see the Narnia-esque time dilation effect. It causes a lot of things to make much more sense.

18. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Wait, wouldn't they have noticed that something was up by comparing how long ago the sirens were active on the DC side vs how long ago Starswirl lived on the pony side?

19. Lucidum

Lucidum Verifiably Bored

I believe that it should be "Princess". Otherwise, I have absolutely minimal clue what is happening but I'm strapping into the ride and ready to go where it takes me.

Simonbob, Bramble Thorn, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  20. DonLyn

DonLyn Getting out there.

Isn't the singular 'millennium'?

21. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Ah yes, here we go. Disillusionment and shattering of everything you thought you knew. The various Pauls have a knack for that, don't they?

Also, it's hilarious to imagine Sunset scream "colour her slash colour!"

22. Mr Zoat

Ugh. This site keeps eating my threadmarks.
    Thank you, corrected.

23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Only by knowing exactly when they were banished.

24. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Oh? So they weren't personally banished by Starswirl?

Relyt33 and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

They were, but there wasn't any way for Grayven or Sunset to know that.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat i see that one of upcoming alternate SI versions is going to be in He-Man.
    Can you give us any ideas or hint of what Old World Dudes is going to be about?

27. Tavarokk

Tavarokk Pursuer of perversion

What are Grayven's teeth like in this form?

28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I see Luna follows Celestia's example: Let Twilight Sparkle Handle It.

I'm sure she's had many over the years. How many of them turned evil, died ignobly or went mad, no-one is quite sure of.

Or maybe she's discreetly trying to 'get off'?x3 I mean, how many Alicorn Stallions has she met?

I'm guessing an eyebrow waggle would have had the wrong effect. Grayven is really enjoying this, in more ways than one.:p

Probability of Luna and Twilight mistaking that for unicorn magic: High.

Given how often Luna acts like a teenager on the show, that's probably more accurate than entirely intended...

"Well, when a Stallion loves a Mare very much..."

Heh. It's easy to believe, isn't ? Never mind all the evil, sentient books of magic. Read one unedited history book? Thousand Years MOON!

To be fair, it was in the same section of the library as the aforementioned evil books... You'd think they'd have higher security involved...

Banishment for something entirely minor being one of her long-term fears, as we know.

"I'm here to show her what I've learned, spit in her eye and become an Alicorn!"

I see Grayven's learnt to manage the Red light pretty well... Someone's bucking for a White Ring.

Do eeeeet. Boop the Snoot...

Ah, if only there were some way to show her what you really look like. Like say, something that can make constructs...:p

Doesn't mean he wasn't an arse. Who was it that made a spell that could switch Cutie Marks around again? Oh, yes...

"A long time ago, but yes."

She assumes there're any left alive? Equestrians are so naive...

Still not in the mood for fatherly encouragement, Grayven...

Uh-oh, time dilation effect? as thebishop8 noted, that solves quite a few plotholes...

Though I fully expect the calender to change soon enough. Triumvirate era, perhaps?

So anyone she knew are old and grey, or worse. though no time at all time is passing back on Earth.

Time to Science!! that mirror. With Magic!!

That's putting it mildly.

She says to the Princess of MagicFriendship...

I'd like to know that too... Something we're missing?

How odd of her...

...The 'Princess' part didn't clue you in? I'm pretty sure Cadence wasn't Alicorned up in your day, either, so that can't be a source of confusion.

...Well, she doesn't look as bad as the history books portray her?

Not helping, Grayven.

Please don't give the reforming princess ideas, Grayven... It'll end in tears...

So, going with the 'well-intentioned but short-sighted' kind of Celestia, eh? Probably better than the 'habitual troll' or 'memetic molester'.

Seriously, Celestia has some 'splainin' to do to all three ponies, Grayven not included. So much of this could have been made easier by simply telling people things... You'd think she's learn that in a thousand-plus years...

29. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

I wonder who's going to make the wrong but easy assumption that Grayven is that world's counterpart to Celestia?

Twilight is probably the most likely one since all she knows is that he's an alicorn on the pony side, was the voice of reason and friendship when she was tied up by Sunset, and that Sunset learned from him. Princess Luna is less likely because she actually knows what Celestia is like and she can feel the "dark magic" or whatever it actually is on him.

It'd be amusing if it was Celestia herself for the same reasons as Twilight.

Side note, why is Paragon's timeline off by so much compared to Renegade's? In the far future he visits their world as early as the early days of Nightmare Moon's banishment and visits often up until she's released. But here they've already passed that point after less than two years of Grayven-Paul even being in the DC universe.

30. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Oh damn. He's even worse at it than I thought. Illustress Paul can literally have the ring control his body. And iirc he already used that kind of thing long before merging with the Ophidian. Grayven literally made a piston construct to push himself!