1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Lifelink

Lifelink Every flavor in a poke-cup

Ah weird pony laws. Where on a specific day in a specific place, you can trade away another pony for their labor without their consent for (at the time) unknown amounts of time. The only thing stopping such a trade would be if the one who accepted the trade to call it off.

EDIT:
    Actually, this is proven untrue. There is an actual vet inside Ponyville proper.

Gantradies likes this.
  2. King0fHearts

King0fHearts Hedonist

I always assumed fluttershys job was the equivalent of a pet shop owner and a forest ranger

Chaoswind likes this.
  3. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Meh funny but not really believable.

4. Orabilis

Orabilis Vidi, Vici, Veni

I understand that Grayven is having a fun time in Equestria partially because he was a fan before becoming God of Conquest however he is being exceptionally irresponsible here. Not only is he essentially bullying children (which is the only way I can see the protagonists of MLP assuming they are close to canon) who understand neither the law nor complex emotional turmoil but still wield powerful mind-altering magics and WMDs. This is the reason most people are bringing up that he's being a bigger dongus than usual I think. But he is also spending a huge amount of time away from his business and family to essentially playfully deconstruct this childish universe. I can understand the desire to do so after all these stupid horses have such a bucolic existence despite their obvious incompetence that a quick dose of competent villainy would be very cathartic.

However if Grayven spends one day in Equestria his daughter won't see him for more than 2 weeks. So he is being quite irresponsible, to say nothing of the chaos that can befall DC in 2 weeks of time, not that that is his responsibility mind but he does have other commitments that could be endangered and are his responsibility, his "mother's" mental wellbeing for instance.

So whilst I don't mind this behaviour from a moral perspective, terrorising these equines seems very fun, he should probably be looking to cure his soul-cancer as quickly and efficiently as possible unless he wants to miss more than a month of his daughter's life because he would rather be playing with ponies, which means actually talking to the mane six about the Tree of Harmony and the true nature of his contagious curse. If that fails immediately going to believable legal threats of some kind, more severe than what is happening at the moment like selling high-tech machinery to competing farms and bakeries. Putting Pinkie and the Apple familly out of business pretty quickly.

Gantradies and Darko like this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Yes? She mostly sleeps in trees and spends her spare time training. It's the size she wants it to be. Cloud is free, so she could expand it if she wanted to.
    Twilight Sparkle is a librarian with no library. She didn't get a demesne when she ascended. I can only assume that Equestria has some sort of civil list.
    Flim and Flam rather disproved that.
    At this point they're in their late teens. And Celestia is fine sending them against evil demigods and dragons.
    Wrong way around. Grayven could spend two weeks in Equestria and she'd only miss him for a day. And Sunset could change that at will.
    Flim and Flam already did that. The Apples might know all about apples but they're terrible businessponies.

6. Orabilis

Orabilis Vidi, Vici, Veni

Ah gotcha. This does mean that Grayven should probably live in Equestria then since he can react to anything happening on earth fifteen times as fast as long as he can run a high bandwidth cable through the mirror, it'd be like being on Velocity 10 all the time. At the least he should move all his manufacturing to the place with hundreds of hours in the day, hopefully Wilson doesn't have some kind of technology destroying force like Harry Potter Wizardry.

So its a known tactic. Does Grayven just not want to do something that has already been done in the show or have the ponies wizened up enough that Psion-tech manufacturing equipment wouldn't put the mane six out of business? If so Grayven could just go full lawful asshole and make some medical devices to cure currently untreatable diseases, perhaps aging, then just sit on them until the protagonists have to confront a really thorny ethical question or two.

Of course now that I think about it more Grayven should probably offer Psion-tech to the Element Bearers first and when they inevitably turn him down for some dumb reason he can put them all out of business/mentally scar them and rehire them as the Equestrian Justice League or Stormwatch or whatever.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  7. Mr Zoat

And it would allow Applejack to actually make money as she'd get fifteen growing seasons to each Earth year.
    Oh, Grayven could totally wreck their economy. Medical stuff is a bit more iffy as no one in Universe 16 has studied their physiology.

8. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

What he did was give what could be considered a deliberately downplayed not-explanation that oh-so-conveniently avoids mentioning all the mass murder and contagious mind destruction:
    and then used the Mane Six's dismissal of him as an excuse to bully them. As much fun as this is to read, it's essentially a 30+ year old New God using a pile of gold and a bunch of lawyers to bully six teenagers into doing something that they would have done anyway if he had just explained himself properly.

Gantradies, Cuchulin, Aeess and 3 others like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Telling them that it destroys souls and leaves most of the people exposed to it brain dead at best while those who survive it become monsters that want to spread it would have been a better explanation of why they should help him.

The way he explained it to them seemed to be like it just causes sadness and some depression, while unpleasant not something that requires using super magic artifacts to cure, they probably thought he was simply being a drama queen when describing the effects and their severity.

10. Lifelink

Which is funny because they've "learned" lessons to not just ignore people's problems even if they think they're just being drama queens about it (Lesson Zero).

11. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

He censored himself because if he told them the raw version they would probably get scared and not come to his world when he invites them to come to earth for a visit. Grayven would probably give Celestia and Luna the uncensored one.

Wild Transient likes this.
  12. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wow, when did this story become Worm?

erebus1994, Old Knife, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  13. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

If he's inviting them to the DCU to face off against Darkseid they damn well should be scared, and have the right to know what they'd be potentially dooming themselves to.

DrThoth and Vorian like this.
  14. Mr Zoat

About the time a socially isolated teenager with incredible power was thrown unwittingly into a fight to save the world?

Also, I just found out about this. I managed five out of twelve.

15. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I actually got 0/12:eek:... and I wasn't trying:confused:
    [​IMG]

Jack of Olives likes this.
  16. Ardy

You forgot the bullying.

Also: Wow! Nobody ever needed that information, ever! Second time that's ever happened to me. Right after learning what "clopping" was.

dogbertcarroll and zerofarad like this.
  17. SebazuD

SebazuD Experienced.

This chapter reminded me of one of those horrible Harry Potter revenge/bash fics where the Harry goes to the goblins and sues everyone.

Ardy likes this.
  18. Caerwen

Caerwen Know what you're doing yet?

Your score: 7 out of 12

19. Mr Zoat

Did you read the one of the ones where they managed to get the Wizengamot's charter revoked?
    Twilight wasn't bullied.

20. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I initially read this as referring to the SI (generously/loosely interpreting him as a teenager) and With This Ring itself, before realizing it was MLP. In many ways it seems to work for both.

It probably happens in multiple fics, but I remember this from one where Harry and Sirius manage to meet the Queen before the former's trial.

Gantradies and Vorian like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

Ah yes, Long Live the Queen.

22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That's because Zoat, the writer, created a bunch of previously non-existent laws that if they had previously existed characters in the setting would have followed for the sole reason of his Self Insert bashing the characters of a setting.

Which is pretty much badly written bashfic 101.

Darko and Aeess like this.
  23. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

I like the somewhat realistic response fic White Squirrel wrote for that.

DrThoth likes this.
  24. Lifelink

Except they wouldn't because they tend to not know laws unless they were right in their faces just like how half the country knows Daring Do is a real life pony while the other thinks she's just a fictional character.

25. desolatedsabers

desolatedsabers Know what you're doing yet?

i'm gonna say this now. you nerds are taking a story about ponies way too bloody seriously.

If grayven actually wanted to hurt any of the mane 6 legally all he'd need to do is point out some of the more dickish moments from seasons 1-3 and be done with it like nothing. there's plenty of evidence there for at least a legal overview if not revokes. secondly, most of the actual blame can go back to the diarchs, so it'll just get swept under anyway. He's basically pushing and poking pacifists trying to get them to lash out over annoyances so he can get blasted with the skittles beam, not actually hurting them or trying to ruin them.

True Ninja and Wild Transient like this.
  26. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Oh, lighten up. We take everything about WTR this seriously. That doesn't change just because it's ponies. Yes, we know it's just a story. But it's a story specifically about a character who takes a comic book universe seriously. The whole idea is exploring the weirdness of comic book stories through this lens.

Cuchulin and WhiteNoise like this.
  27. desolatedsabers

desolatedsabers Know what you're doing yet?

sorry man but it's like, they're making out what zoat's done to be worse then it is just because we haven't seen anything be done in response. and Vaer is doing their bullshit again but that's not much of a surprise. anyway, i get that we're taking the story seriously, but there is a level we should take it to be, not just automatically the Nth degree. it's silly.

True Ninja and Wild Transient like this.
  28. Xmaster3000

Xmaster3000 Know what you're doing yet?

Wild Transient likes this.
  29. Ardy

Give Grayven a few more hours, she’ll get her turn.

edit: I’m not sure it’s called being bullied to be accused of being a serial killer, but I’m counting it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  30. Threadmarks: Equestrian Girls (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

1st April 2012
    Night

I look out across-.

"Grayven."

I smile. "Hey, you said it right."

I t-. Huh. Turning around as a pony isn't easy. Your legs get in the way. Careful… Careful…

And turned. Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer and a nervous-looking Pinkie Pie have approached me, Twilight in the lead.

"I'm.. not.. seeing any Elements of Harmony."

"We've been talking to Sunset about you."

I lean forwards. "Luna? That you?"

"'We' as in 'the Bearers'. And according to her, this… Unnecessarily confrontational way of behaving is how you handle everything."

"Sunset, have you been telling people the truth? That's a bad habit."

She glares at me. "I thought you were going to wait on this until after my ascension."

"If Celestia was actually here, yes. If they rainbow beam me tonight we can have it sorted before she gets back. Then it can all be about you because I'll be able to support you fully without having to worry about alienating her."

"But the point is-" Twilight looks at me sternly. "-you were right. When we went to rescue Rarity from the Diamond Dogs, all we thought about was getting her out. We didn't think about whether or not the Diamond Dogs had a legitimate complaint. And when we found out that they were going to let her leave we didn't question it. But I've learned that while sometimes being a good friend means supporting your friends completely, sometimes it means telling them when they're doing something wrong and helping them find a better way."

Did I just..? Teach her a friendship lesson?

"So..?"

"So we're going to visit the Diamond Dogs with the Attorney General of Equestria and we're going to negotiate a settlement properly."

"And are you going to stop off at the Tree of Harmony on the way back?"

"No. Because I don't think we're the only ones who should be learning a lesson here."

"No, you should be sending Spike to school, and should have been for years. I had wondered if perhaps Equestrian schools were just for ponies, but the legislation-."

"Yes, Spike will be.. starting school once I've talked things over with Cheerilee. I actually have been teaching-"

"Are you qualified to teach?"

"-him… No, I'm not, and that's why he's going to start school. But that wasn't what I meant. You could just have told us about any of these things. Instead-."

"You interrupted a PARTY!"

I regard Pinkie Pie's outstretched hoof for a moment. I actually did see her move, though it was very fast, and from Sunset's expression I think she missed it.

"You decided you were so important that you could just ruin everypony's day!"

"No, I decided the infectious curse I'm carrying was so important I could browbeat ponies into prioritising properly. This is objectively the most important thing happening right now."

"I disagree." She sits back with her forelegs crossed across her chest. "So do your worst, Mister, because there's nothing worse than having a party ruined."

"Twilight Sparkle. On the day-."

"Hey!" Pinkie renews her glare. "You said it was my turn!"

"This is just a bonus. Twilight, you remember when you wrote to Celestia about Nightmare Moon's forthcoming return, and she told you to get out and make some friends."

"She told me that because if I hadn't been in Ponyville I wouldn't have been able to get to the Elements."

"But what if you'd stuck with your Canterlot friends? What if you hadn't written to her about Nightmare Moon and gone to Moondancer's party instead?"

"Ah. Then-."

"Celestia prioritised saving the world over your existing friends, and she was right to do so. Now Pinkie, you-?"

"Wait…" Twilight stares at the ground as she tries to fault my reasoning. "But I needed to make friends in order for the Elements to work. But Princess Celestia didn't ask about my Canterlot friends before she sent me to Ponyville. But if I hadn't written to her, and she hadn't sent me…"

I lean forwards. "Is she going to be like that for a while?"

Pinkie nods. "Probably."

Well, if she's broken anyway

"You remember when you used the Mirror Pool to create duplicates of yourself?"

"I already said sorry to everypony about that! I did a scroll and everything!"

"Everyone?"

Pinkie regards me curiously. "And I'm supposed to say 'did I miss somepony', and get ready to say sorry to them as well, and then the actual thing you're going to use against me is something completely different and I'm not going to know what to do because I'm just thinking about saying sorry?"

"No." … "Yes." I give her a respectful frown. "You're surprisingly insightful."

"I know!" She nods confidently. "I surprise myself sometimes."

"Okay, put me off my game a little there… But given what Twilight just said about telling friends when they're in the wrong, don't you think you should have done something about all of the clones of you which Twilight brutally murdered right in front of you?"

"What?" Twilight looks up from her introspection death spiral. "Wait, you mean the Mirror Pool copies? They weren't really ponies."

"Huh. Hardcore. I hadn't realised that ponies went in for 'unpeopling'. Or that you had the authority to do it at-will. Though I suppose it does make murder far simpler, legally speaking."

Pinkie Pie starts to look uncomfortable. "Ah, Twilight? I thought they just went back into the Pool."

"No, I mean they really weren't ponies. They were just magic constructs, with no real internal life."

Twilight seems confident, but Pinkie Pie has started shaking. She knows where this is going.

"One moment."

Mother Box.

… Ping.

Because I may not be an expert in 'Friendship Studies', but I was paying attention during Sunset and Zatanna's talk on magic ethics. The sooner I do this, the less harm will be done.

Ping.

Boom!

The boom tube opens and a pony wearing a dull purple raincoat and fedora jumps through.

"Oooh, this is fun!" She takes a quick look around and then prances up to me. "Party Popper at your service, for all your celebratory needs." She pulls off her hat-

"Pinkie? Is that you?"

-then she catches sight of Twilight Sparkle.

The surviving Pinkie clone shakes in terror, eyes widening, poofy mane and tail collapsing and teeth chattering. "No, no, I don't wanna die I don't wanna die get her away from me!"

"Pin… Kie..?"

"Nononononononono…"

She collapses, tears streaming down her face and forelegs held protectively over her head.

"'No real internal life', huh?" Twilight starts hyperventilating and Pinkie's mouth drops open in horror. "Looks like she's got an internal life to me, Miss Twilight 'Serial Killer' Sparkle."

Sunset glares at me. "Grayven, what the hell?"

"Hey, someone needed to stop that madpony before she decided that anyone else wasn't a real person." I lift Pinkie 2 up-. I clean up the urine and then lift Pinkie 2 up onto my back, where she clings on for dear life. "Elements. Tomorrow. Or I pick someone else."

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020