1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yea... Here's the thing... Technical truths aren't Honesty.

And neither are truths fundamentally based on a lie.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey Zoat can you tell us what permanent Injuries the renegade has?
    Things like scars, missing digits?
    I seem to remember reading about him losing a finger?
    Can he heal himself with his ring or is his godhood preventing that?

Saw the title for what I think is the next alternate chapter.
    So the yellow lantern joined the suicide squad?
    I think you mentioned something about the group he belongs being sometimes heroes and sometimes villains?

3. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Becoming the Mask

At this point, I don't think simply say he's secretly Paul would be all that Honest.
    Because he isn't, anymore.
    And hasn't been for a long time.

4. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Yeah they aren't it was a plan designed to break the bearers despite them ostensibly keeping their virtues.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. desolatedsabers

desolatedsabers Know what you're doing yet?

plus when an evil god literally compared to satan in the same phrase decides you're his son, falsehood or not, you're his son now.

6. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

a true statement yes, but not an honest one
    I disagree with both of you, it is a True capital T statement but not an honest one.

7. dogbertcarroll

dogbertcarroll Random lurker

It'd be really ironic if the twisted group could activate the elements but instead of them twisting the elements to their purpose the elements act according to their nature and vape them.

8. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Pretty sure that it will. Chrysalis made a group of evil clones of the Mane 6 called the Mean 6 and the tree killed them when they tried to use the Elements of Harmony.

https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Mean_Six

9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    If it's not aggrivated damage he will heal it back flawlessly. The only scar he has is the one inflicted by the radion gun the thanagarians used.
    No Yellow Lantern just yet.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  10. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Last time someone checked it was over two million and that was a while ago.

11. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Dunno, Captain Jack Harkness might be more fun. :)

12. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Because those weren’t compatible. They no longer represented the elements. In fact, they supposedly represented the opposite of them. Though it’s a little hard to represent “anti-magic”. These ones do directly represent the elements of harmony. They just do so in evil ways.
    For example, kindness wants people to get hurt so that it can take care of them.

13. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

One of the problems is that 'mantled' doesn't mean anything, in common usage; only gamers familiar with one particular game 'mythology' might know it. You could use something like (took on the) 'aspect', which is a term that's been around a lot longer, and is in wider use...

Of course, you need to remember that I may have no idea what I'm talking about. :)
    ("Culture? Isn't that something that grows in petri dishes?" :) )

14. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Fortunately we both have wings, so while the initial surprise results in us dropping quite a way we both unfurl our natural parachutes and by the time we land on solid ground we're both fully under control

15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

16. Phrexia Unbound

Phrexia Unbound Oooh...that's good.

"Friendship=Exploitation"

17. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

It’s a little more than that, since “mantling” is more like taking on the being / existence than just an aspect. The being being mangled is in effect “reincarnated” as the mantle.

Alexandercctv likes this.
  18. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Not as such. Regardless of how it came about Darkseid and the Renegade regard one another as father and son.

SI isn’t lying when he claims to be the Illustrious of the Orange Lanterns, despite having made up the position only a few months ago.
    Renegade isn’t lying when he claims a family connection to Darkseid, despite only having been acknowledged as his son a few months ago.

What is true, changes.
    What is honest, is opinion.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paragon did not make up the position of Illustres, the GLC already has one and technically as the most skilled wielder of the orange light he qualifies for the position

20. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Like a few other posters mentioned, I did go back to reread the whole vision quest now that it was more clear what the evil dream-ponies actually were, and the clarity really helps.

I did watch the Nightmare Moon arc, though not much else of FiM, so I'm slightly confused as to whether Harmony (the gestalt concept or effect of all six Elements) is the same thing as Friendship, or Friendship and Magic are just two equal names for Twilight's element. From some wiki trawling, I also know the Elements have similar counterparts in the Pillars' virtues, which corresponds Twilight's Magic to Star-Swirl's trait of Sorcery, and the latter doesn't seem to have any friendship-related connotations (but I haven't actually seen media he's in, so I might just have missed it).

Regarding the whole truth/Honest mini-debate, I do think truthfulness isn't the same as Honesty; the Fae from Dresden Files come to mind here, with their technical truths usually accompanied by the intent to decieve.

21. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Right, I’m not sure if Mr Zoat just missed my message, or if he couldn’t be arsed to go and check, in which case I can’t really blame him, but just to be sure, I’’ ask again.
    Mr Zoat, what’s the word count right now?

Also, and this is to the rest of the community as well, and somewhat off-topic, but what would be the best way to enclose images in my messages? Would uploading them to Google Drive and using a spoiler bracket to house them work? Would I need some other hosting site, because no one I’ve seen uses google drive on this site. (They’re a lot of images, so I can’t hyperlink them). I’m asking because I’m going to try to write a fanfic of my own.

Speaking of, I’ve decided to set it in Gotham, so where would it be best for me to look for advice on the lore? Both the city and the DC universe in general.

Cuchulin likes this.
  22. Me. Joka-r

Me. Joka-r Professional Procrastinator

Could anyone tell me what exactly transpired here......?

DrThoth likes this.
  23. Mr Zoat

I didn't answer because how the heck would I know?
    I use ImgBB.

24. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Contrary to the usual correction: the semicolon should be a comma.

Closer, but still not "wouldst". It's not a contraction of anything.

25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

26. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

[​IMG]

27. Jack of Olives

Jack of Olives Knows just enough to be dangerous.

Sure thing.

Basically: the Elements of Harmony are empowered by/part of a magical tree known as the Tree of Harmony that's (as far as what's been explained) the source of Harmony magic (aka. Plot-Device/Deus-Ex-Machina magic) in Equestria. It let's its power be used by people who exemplify it's aspects (Generosity, Honesty, Kindness, Loyalty, Laughter, & Friendship/Magic). Notably the main cast of the show.

When Luna contacted Grayven in his dreams, the Tantabus (which is basically a dream-demon created by Luna to give herself nightmares in a fit of self-destructive guilt) fused with the shard of the Anti-Life Equation. The new entity (using the combined knowledge of Luna and Grayven) created twisted beings of Anti-Life who technically embody the aspects of Harmony, with the goal of corrupting the Tree of Harmony with the essence of the Anti-Life Equation, and thus corrupting the planet's thaumic field. But in order to do so, they need to be able to leave the realm of dreams, which they can if they become strong enough (like the Tantabus almost did in canon).

Someone let me know if I missed anything, or got something wrong.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Me. Joka-r, Ngamer11, MasterG and 8 others like this.
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Universal force of Honesty.

You don't get to play word games, you don't get to use technical truths, you have to be purely and unabashedly honest.

29. desolatedsabers

desolatedsabers Know what you're doing yet?

problem is, what started as a lie has become the truth because of a metaphysical awakening into a god state, he wasn't always grayven, but he sure as fuck is now, and feels that way even to Darkseid himself. so it's still honesty, he just didnt used to be grayven.

30. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

You didn't tag him and one sentence post are easy to miss.

In regards to your question this fic had over two million words when it was still hosted in SV (and i mean not long after the SB exile), so considering how long ago that was and a rate of around 1,200 words per update on average (365 days a year) that it should have this fic being way over three million words by now, maybe four million words.

If you want the exact numbers you can count them yourself, if you want recommendations in regards what episodes are plot heavy and/or good, and what episodes can be safely skipped that is a whole different thing.

Edit: Using simple math, the average update length and that Zoat has... (i think) posted an update per day (delayed by bans and thread closures, but an update per day is mostly true), will get you almost four million words (give or take a hundred thousand) or over four million words... No wait a few are double updates due to the queen of Fables shenanigans episode... But i guess its a margin of error.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    Ngamer11 and DAT_NOOB like this.