1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ph34r_n0_3V1L

Ph34r_n0_3V1L The Best Monkey

One too many S on Tomb Princes?

2. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

wait, waitwait- you mean we should be getting paid for telling him he's wr-....
    .....suddenly, the proclavities of one of the long-time commenters makes a LOT of sense!

Vorian and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Chaoswind i think i remember asking Zoat if Saul and that woman were in a romantic relationship and i think he said no.
    They are probably just friends.

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

heyyy- another reader of https://www.fimfiction.net/story/238582/legacy ? sweet!
    again, Vae has a point-
    the Dice are so heavily LOADED when warhammer comes up, that the initial reaction of a Freshly ROB'd Blackhole in a PROGENITOR COMMANDER chassis (usually one of the most BROKEN SI injection types given how quickly they can exponentially expand), with a full blueprint load (and even after discovering a modification to progenitor generator tech that essentially "blended" the demons that'd normally "just" bounce off a ships Geller Field for additional power) was, essentially "OH FUCK IM DEAD fUUUUUUUUCUuUUUuCK!" *oneshots a wannabe loota, resumes panicked internal screaming about what the CG'sll do to his soul*,
    immediately followed by "ok. ok. im not dead yet. i can deal with the orks on the green coast. maybe find a way to stop the magpies and Alexander and the Tau from killing each other long enough to nuke Eliphas from orbit BEFORE they start murdering each other and powering his cults up, entrench temporarily, then start desperately searching for a way out of the fucking universe because i am LEAVING!"-and the main thing i know about FB is that, canonically, everybody died horribly-

the 40k galaxy at has at least SOME time until some idiot techpriest fucks up with routine maintenance on the imperium's pet Warp-Aberation/Daemon's (its one of the relatively few never-retconned pieces of Canon that the entity that Styled itself as "the god-emperor of mankind" was not remotely human- at BEST it was an artificial Daemon/construct created by a cult of suicidal psykers/sorcerers in antiquity- makes its catastrophic,imperium-ruining fuckup borne of its inhuman mindset make perfect sense,really- it was literally created without empathy/social skills)life support system and the astronomicon goes and takes out organized,meaningful resistance to the ruinous powers with it >.<

granted, given they work off emotion themselves i could see Glowtech potentially offering resistance, but loosing/doffing/draining your ring for a few seconds, and it could be all over- especially if one of the chaos Cults suddenly has reason to notice you as a potential threat/ amusing toy/fuckslave...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  5. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

No, but thinking about it, Nagash certainly fits the bill, no?

Lupercal likes this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

And I just got thrown off SV again.
    Though a nice woman, she doesn't have super powers. Or do much crime-fighting.

7. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

My general attitude to WH(F/40k) is to back away, while smiling politely. The settings are 'wallpaper' to (faintly) justify various army lists. Best rationale I came across was that Warhammer was part of The Matrix, where the sysadmins had a serious (probably terminal) mental breakdown, and, if you looked hard enough you could find the big red button marked 'RESET'...

But, if our brave author can wrench a readable story from the setting, congrats!

Vorian and Darko like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Once read a YJ fic where the author said WH40k was in a group of universes slated to be destroyed and recycled like the whole Dark Multiversr in DC.

The author even called the Chaos Gods retarded.
    Which thay are.

Plus I think there was a mention about the meteor that gave Savage his immortality was a shard of the Emperor and rewrote his personality to match his.
    Which makes sense seeing as they are both very similar, that being they are both general failures who go about their business in an inefficient manner, Savage founding the Light as well as his entire history, and the Emperor turning humanity into a xenophobic genocidal horde and also becoming a being of pure irony seeing how he turned out.
    Also they both have some very stupid and shortsighted beliefs.
    The Emperor and his manifest destiny belief in humanity, ignoring how that ended for previous civilisations, usually damaging them in terrible ways, and Savage in his survival of the fittest mentality, ignoring the fact that what he believes is survival of the fittest is not how it really works.

Though one thing I'll give that universe credit for is showing how a kingdom reflects their ruler.
    Humanity and the Imperium are basically a rotting corpse held together by numbers and inertia and are slowly going to meet a horrible end.
    The Emperor most likely becoming a Chaos God and humanity going the way of the Eldar, just with more shirty looking tech.

MechaNova, Gantradies and Cuchulin like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

In the Horus Heresy series, the Emperor's grand plan was to build devices which could control the warp and use them to eliminate chaos. He got two part-done when the Heresy happened, but if he'd finished then humanity would have won. Aliens trapped on their own worlds. The chaos gods dead. The Hive Mind dead. He also [2nd edition - didn't care about / 3+ edition - actually banned] worshipping him.

The chaos gods aren't retarded. They're distributed intelligences playing Sims with the universe.

Warhammer 40,000 is only miserable if you look on it from the top down. And from a human perspective. Of the Imperium's million or so worlds, most are at peace, happily paying their tithes to the empire which keeps them safe. An SI with a special perk could do wonders to improve the lives of the inhabitants of any one planet, millions for agri-worlds or hundreds of billions for hive worlds. That's more good than they could do in... Skyrim or wherever. Then there's the tau: a multi-species polity genuinely optimistic about the universe and their place in it. Orks... Orks are having a whale of a time.

10. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Yet these hands will never hold anything.
    So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works!

11. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Orks are the real winners. If I had to choose to live in 40k, I'd choose to live as an Ork. Who's got time to be depressed and full of existential terror when there's always a good scrap to be had with your Boyz wherever you go? :V

12. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

With the caveat that any peace to be had can and will end pretty horribly.

It might happen in an instant with random Dark Eldar capturing you and torturing you and everyone you love for semi-eternity.

Or it might happen slowly, with everyone running away from the Tyranid for centuries before being eaten.

Or one of countless other horrible fates.

And than there is the sheer, self-destructive stupidity of so many factions, the fact that the pain and horror is so utterly pointless.

I stand by saying that 40k desperately needs fixing.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

His plan would most likely have not worked and would have potentially resulted in a massive galaxy spanning warp storm, or turn him into a Chaos God and humanity suffering the same fate as the Eldar, or even just destroyed all sapient life.

Trying to control the Warp is the equivelant of trying to disable a nuclear device by hitting it repeatedly with a hammer like a lunatic.

Even if he banned worship of him he still did it in a half assed way.
    He burned innocents for doing that just to teach Lorgar a lesson.

His treatment of the Primarchs was also stupid.
    Even if he just considered them his tools he could have tried to be more attentive and less of a gigantic asshole to them.
    Magnus, Angron had good reason to hate him.
    Allowing Leman and others to bully Magnus and letting Angrons friends and allies die despite the fact that he could have helped him end the slavery on his world.
    And giving Angron, Kurze and Lorgar armies despite the fact that the first two were insane while the other one was a religious nutcase waas just.. an incredibly stupid decision that creates a new record of stupid decisions.

His whole 'humanities birthright is to be the masters of the universe' mindset was stupid seeing as what happened to other nations that had a so called manifest destiny mindset.
    You'd think that for someone who has seen most of human history he'd learn to not repeat its many mistakes.

Wiping out entire planets for having aliens on them or humans who didn't agree with him on every little thing he said was also stupid seeing as such a mindset is incredibly harmful, to both sides, and can lead to someone not even taking the slightest criticism, and some of those worlds were full of innocent peoples whose only crime was being different.

Despite wanting to create a secular empire he created a collection of fanatics and zealots.
    And this was true even when he was alive what with him telling people not to question him and killing those who disagree with his words and basically usung his psyker powers to subtly influence people to agree with him and considering those who disagree with him, even if they give good and rational reasons for disagreeing, as being completely blind and beyond convincing.

Humans don't live in some peaceful utopia nor do they live in peace.
    If they live in peace then its the peace of a farm animal who doesn't realise its the next meal.
    They have those lunatics in the inquisition above their heads who can destroy their world if they so much as step out of line no matter how mild or even beneficial stepping out of that line can be for humanity.
    Hive worlds are overgrown slums and agri worlds can only make food to support futile military endeavors and the corrupt government.
    Speaking of the government, it is a massively corrupt and inneficient nightmare that regularly loses entire planets, and the military is made up of mostly poorly trained meat shields who have tyrannical psychopaths as commanders.

Also letting those tech priests keep their backwater way of life and stupid attitude towards technology, despite being considered a god by them was incredibly stupid.
    How many intelligent, innovative and inventive people did those technophiles destroy by preventing them from inventing new technologies with their brainwashing and turning them into maintenance people that have no idea what they are maintaining is and how it works.

The Tiranids and Drukhari also exist.
    And even if he got control of the Warp, aliens could figure out another way to travel faster than light.

While the Chaos Gods may not be retarded they are ridiculously self destructive and deserve being called retarded.

Yeah the Orks have pretty much won as a species.

It really wouldn't surprise me if he used his psyker powers to influence the SI that ended up in his universe to do his bidding and agree with him.
    Even if you say he didn't do so Zoat, it would be perfectly in character for him to do so.

14. Lupercal

Lupercal Not too sore, are you?

Plus a new Beast is on the rise. The Orks are about to reach their highest point since M32.

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Chaos has corrupted more advanced.

Also Chaos is Magic.

It certainly seems that way.

Especially with his rather amusing belief that he turned Chaos Daemons.

Gantradies and Cuchulin like this.
  16. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Source?

Even the old ones can’t quite match the billions of years of continuous research that is Malthusian tech

17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Age =/= Technological Advancement

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I really recommend you read Codex Equus, especially the parts concerning Golden Scepter and his 19 sons.

They're basically expys of the Emperor and the Primarchs, but they got past they're more negative traits.
    For example Scepter becoming a benevolent and tolerant individual, even joining a group that wants to end racism as well as befriending a god of evil and criticising a group of morally puristic and extremist gods and consoling an assassin who tried to kill him because of pressure and doesn't underestimate mortals because the last time he did that he spent thousands of years as a skeleton, the Magnus expy becoming less of an arrogant asshole, the Russ expy abandoning his bigotry, the Angron expy abandoning his rage, the Lorgar expy adopting a more sensible form of faith and fighting blind faith etc.

Golden Scepter did go through a part of his long life where he was like his canon origin, but grew out of it.
    He even fought a ritualistically created entity that had all his negative past qualities, the qualities the Emperor embodies.

There was a small entry that stated the expys of the Chaos Gods were killed by his non divine daughter when she took them to a universe where there was no sapient life to feed on and they couldn't feed on her seeing as she only embodied the positive or neutral aspects they embody, but they had fattened themselves on the negative aspects.

One of the reasons why the Primarch expys are so good is because they had a good dad.

Who knows maybe that will be what that version of Paul does.
    As the last episode of TTS showed a loving parental figure truly is the greatest thing against the forces of evil and Paul is nothing if not a loving parental figure.

protoss16 and Cuchulin like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

Of course, Ork life expectancy is a bit rubbish.

zeebza, Ngamer11, Cuchulin and 8 others like this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Eh, nothing's perfect i suppose.

Cuchulin and Lazurman like this.
  21. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yes, but they have also apparently achieved immortality. An ork SI not focused entirely on fighting would be very fun.

22. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Rational SI? Which one is that?

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Rational SI is the Common Sense one.
    He's dating Paula

Cuchulin, Ardy, thebishop8 and 3 others like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

The one who told them how old he was? The one who's dating Paula?

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

When are we going to common sense Paul again?
    Next episode maybe?

Lupercal likes this.
  26. Mr Zoat

I haven't.. written it yet, so... Yes, maybe.

27. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

In a lot of countries on our Earth it is, but I'm not sure how illegal it is on any specific DC or Marvel Earth (where the specific definition may also vary from ours).

dogbertcarroll and Cuchulin like this.
  28. Threadmarks: Warlantern Fantasy Battle
    Mr Zoat

32nd Nachgeheim 2512
    Early afternoon

Prince Ahmose leads us towards the throne room, an escort of Tomb Guard marching in perfect time beside us. Meister Glook is taking the whole thing in his stride, though none of his men wanted to enter any of Lybaras' structures. For some reason Aranei can't seem to stop stroking the hilt of her dagger. I'm not sure what she thinks it would do; the locals don't have vulnerable points.

"Ambassador."

Before I arrived, I had wondered what the voice of someone without any obvious physical way of forming words would sound like. Would it be raspy? Whispery? Would their teeth click together as they talk? No, none of that. They don't move their mouths as they speak, and aside from a slight echo their voices are quite normal. According to Meister Glook, Prince Ahmose is speaking reasonable Reikspiel and as such is probably their official ambassador. It's all German to me, and I don't remember anything like enough of GCSE German to try conversing in it unaided myself.

"Your highness?"

"Explain the magic you are using upon your party."

The orange glow is rather obvious.

"A translation spell. Neither myself nor my colleagues speak High Nehekharan." Meister Glook does speak a couple of modern Nehekharan languages, but I doubt that the Queen would sully her lip-wrappings with them. "Will her majesty find it objectionable?"

"No. Some of Nehekhara's rulers would, but our Queen has stated that she is quite interested in your embassy. As such, I suspect that she will be more curious than offended. I will however caution you to do no more than that without her express authorisation."

"Of course. I thank you for your warning."

He leads us around a corner, turning away from the surprisingly intact guest quarters and towards the throne room. At the end of the corridor there's a thunk as the Tomb Guard protecting the doors to the throne room itself move as one from a 'rest' to a 'guard' position.

Prince Ahmose's eyes glow as he raises his right hand. "By the authority of our Queen, rest."

Their eyes glow faintly, then they step back to their rest positions. Prince Ahmose then strides up to the bronze-covered doors and knocks three times, the dull ringing sounding through the room. Another thing about the undead: they're a lot stronger than I thought they'd be. A living creature's strength comes from its muscles after all, and they don't have any. But Nehekhara's aristocrats derive their strength from the spells binding their souls to their corpses rather than any of their physical attributes; Prince Ahmose is far stronger now than he would have been in life.

A moment passes, and then the doors swing open.

Queen Khalida's throne is a.. relatively modest affair, though the wall behind it is clearly designed to draw attention to that part of the room. Designs in gold and bronze show scenes from mythology -or perhaps history- relating to the goddess Asaph and her champion. A small group of Tomb Guard stand in the corners of the room front and back, available but clearly not involved in the affairs of their betters.

Several skeletons stand near their queen as attendants. Though they're dressed they don't appear to have been granted mummification, so they were probably personal assistants, scribes and handmaidens in life. At her left hand stands the Hierophant, two lesser Liche Priests in turn standing a little back from him. In her right hand she holds her staff. Just before her throne stand her two personal guard… They aren't Tomb Guards; those are Tomb Princes. The wrappings and faintly glowing sigils on the armour and swords are a giveaway.

Towards the sides of the room the roof is supported by pillars, and between them stand large snake statues. They're patterned after the asp rather than the more common cobra design, but I've no doubt that if the queen ever came under attack that they would animate and smash the assailant to pieces just as surely. The 'animated statue' part of the Tomb King list came well after I stopped being interested in Warhammer so I'm not precisely sure how dangerous they are. Fortunately, I have no need to find out.

Prince Ahmose marches forward before coming to a halt a respectful distance from the throne. Then he falls to his knees before planting his face upon the floor.

"Rise, my herald."

Prince Ahmose lifts his torso, though he remains kneeling. "Oh High Queen Khalida, Wisdom of Asaph made flesh, the Voice of the Vengeful, the Lioness of the Hills, She Whose Legions Blot Out the Sun With Their Arrows, Guardian of Damned Lahmia, the Watchful Soul and the Serpent Queen. I bring to you the ambassador of the Reikland Empire."

I take that as my signal to bow, and Aranei and Meister Glook follow suit without prompting. It was interesting to know that most countries who have any dealings with the Empire call it that, much to the consternation of everyone outside of Reikland. Especially since 'reikland' literally just means 'empire place'. Which means that 'reikland empire' means 'empire place empire'.

"Paol, the Orange Lantern, cleanser of the Reikwald and scourge of the World's Edge Mountains."

Queen Khalida tilts her staff slightly, and Prince Ahmose takes that as his signal to rise fully. He then bows to the throne and carefully backs away and to the side.

"Ambassador. You may rise."

I straighten.

"High Queen Khalida. I bring you greetings from Emperor Karl Franz of the Reikland Empire-" Who is a surprisingly nice fellow. "-and from High King Thorgrim Grudgebearer of the Dwarfs-" Who is about what you'd expect. "-and King Louen Leoncoeur of Bretonnia-" Who is.. not the easiest person to have a civil conversation with, no matter how close a friend of his son you are. "-and Phoenix King Finubar the Seafarer of Ulthuan-" Or.. his ambassador to the Empire, anyway. "-and from Tzar Boris Bokha of Kislev." Ambassador again. Katarin isn't on the throne yet… Or.. perhaps I've already changed something? There is a Wood Elf ambassador in Altdorf, but after she ordered her bodyguard to shoot me I decided not to bother.

I take my scroll of authority out of my belt and hold it out. An attendant skeleton walks over, takes it with a bow and then takes it to the Hierophant. He inspects it for a moment -we included as near as we could to a High Nehekharan translation- and then nods.

Queen Khalida inclines her head very slightly to look at me. "I am surprised that such sovereigns would send an ambassador here, much less that they would do so together."

"Your majesty, in that part of the world… If something remains animate after its death, it is without exception due to the work of vampires or the disciples of.. He Who Shall Not Be Named. Though I know full well that such beings are your enemies as much of ours, that knowledge is not common. I came here because I wish to demonstrate the distinction to my masters, between intelligent beings such as yourselves and the monsters we have become all too accustomed to dealing with."

She doesn't move at all as she considers my answer.

"I thank your masters for their greetings and return them in kind. In particular, send my regards to the ruler of the Reikland, the heir of the man who struck down He Who Shall Not Be Named."

"It will be my pleasure to do so, your majesty."

"In your letters, you spoke of a grand alliance. Your masters have sent you to ask me to join. For what reason? There is no good route by land or by sea from Lybaras to their lands."

"Because of all of the rulers of Nehekhara, you are reputed to be the most… With the greatest respect to-."

"Because being undead has maddened me less." Something shows on my face. "The manias of my fellow kings and queens are not unknown to me."

"And while the mind of High King Settra the Imperishable is entirely whole, I felt that the chance of him treating with foreign rulers was.. minimal."

"An accurate judgement. But that does not explain why."

"There is something I want very much. And I believe that the best way of getting it is to encourage cooperation between all civilised people in the world. Nehekhara is the oldest human civilisation, and even now your learning in many fields outstrips that of other human nations. If we cannot aid one another with armies, we can aid one another with knowledge and agreements to respect one another's territory and property. I have -as a gift for you- books from the Imperial College of Engineers and from the Light Order. In addition, from me personally…"

I pull a small bag from my belt and hold it out. Another attendant walks over, takes it from me and then walks back to the throne before opening it and holding the opening out to its mistress. She turns her head slightly downwards, stares, then looks up at me.

"Vampire teeth?"

"I understand that you have a personal grievance against their kind. Their owners… I took measures which will make their future resurrections… Difficult."

With their souls bound to their bodies vampires can't be kept down permanently. However, throwing them into space certainly keeps them out of the way.

"Well judged." The attendant closes the bag and returns to her place. "Tell me, what is the goal which motivates you?"

"I want very much to kill the Gods of Chaos."

Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

the spells binding their souls is correct

you wrote 'binging their souls' which is incorrect

'I take my scroll' not 'I taking'

'reputed to be' not 'reputed to me'

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  30. Gazing Eye

Gazing Eye Compound, Lidless, Always Watching.

The noblest possible goal in any Warhammer setting.

Also the least likely to succeed but that hasn't stopped you before :p