1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, whichever of your enemies you used as ammunition will cease to be a problem.

2. Razorfloss

Razorfloss I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well someones ambitious I'll give you that. It Anit going to work at all but I will very much enjoy the attempt and Paul may even survive with minimal issues.

Edit: also throwing vampires into space is a very creative solution and fucking hilarious.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  3. Korfayron

Korfayron Making the rounds.

Your goals are not small but I like.

4. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Understandable. The Sindar aren't worth shit in the end.

It is a massive shame that this story won't be continued.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Wonder if the 40k one will try something similar, creating an alliance of various powers.

I mean, compared to this setting everyone in that setting is insane and the only way to fix anything is to basically torch the whole thing and start over.

6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That's adorable.

If the Emperor couldn't do it, I seriously doubt some guy with a ring that gives Chaos a mainline into their soul will be able to.

7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

8. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

until they landed in some other planet with life on it and fuck shit up

or they hit a sun and burn until it go Nova

Alexandercctv and Arghonn like this.
  9. varoksa

varoksa Getting sticky.

This arcs interludes have probably made me the most interested in this story as i have been in years.

10. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Unless they enter a trajectory which will make them crash back on earth. Then you create a meteorite problem.

Man, when all those Pauls meet they will have crazy stories to swap.

11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The 40k one died.

Nothing survives appearing in orbit of Terra.

We know this because it's happened before, and the response was planet destroying levels of firepower being leveled against it.

12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

It's a nervous twitch, I suspect. I'll bet there's quite a bit of Fear running through her right now, if Paul wasn't managing her.

Assuming it had that much in common. While the Old World is western Europe through a lens of Moorcock and Heavy Metal, There's bound to be differences in local languages. God only knows how the Bretonnian tongue sounds. Badly mangled chivalric French?

Kind of hard to hide. I'm guessing this Paul got the hang of filaments, at least?

The fact that it also renders them near-invulnerable to non-magical weaponry is a minor bonus, really. Rerollable 2+ save on 3d6, perhaps?:D:V

In other words, pull anything and you're dead, your friends are dead, and your family line for three generations will be dead. Nehakaran royalty doesn't do 'community service' as a punishment...

Ah the lovely automatic responses of 'mindless' undead...

Yup. Many Tomb Kings warrior characters were strength 4. That's somewhere between 'fit person' and 'superheroic peak human'

A simple reminder that violence will not go unpunished.

And a blatant show of Queen Khalida's power and dominion.

Eh, didn't miss much. Like the ridable bone serpents you just mentioned. And don't even mention the Ossiarchs of Age of Sigmar... We all know how Mr Zoat feels about that setting...

Showing the due and proper respect to his master.

Ambassador? Paul has been busy.

A germanic spelling of his name, much like OL's 'Pavlos', eh? I suppose it makes it easier to announce himself. No surname? Would have thought an epithet like 'Beastslayer' would have been suitable...

Get that diplomacy skill working, Paol. You're going to need a lot of high rolls...

Bloody hell, trying to assemble a complete set of rulers, Paol? This could be one of the biggest alliances ever...

Yes, noteworthy indeed. Something big is in the winds... Of Magic...

Not that they'd want to make summer palaces or anything in this part of the world... Too much sand, and heat, you know...

Not a direct lineage, alas. But after two and a half thousand years, I'd be amazed if anyone of that line remained...

That part won't be a challenge. Power Rings Are Awesome.:V

'Manias' is putting it lightly, in some cases. There are cities were the population repeat a single day in the Ruler's life, without an concern for the condition of their surroundings. Skeletal guards patrolling across fallen rubble and wading through sand flows, while merchants and servants play out haggling deals in the markets...

Settra be a crazy dude, yo...

Oh gods, Tomb Kings with Steam Tanks and Cannons? Not likely to happen but a scary idea...

I bet their former owners did not part with them willingly...

Yuuuuup. Hopefully in a reasonably stable orbit, or on a slow trip into the sun. Don't want them to become somewhere else's problem...

...Wat.

Well, Paol isn't thinking small, is he? That is... not a small task, and likely to trigger the end of the world one way or another. I can just picture Tzeentch planning to flip the table out of spite if he succeeds...

13. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

There's no way for him to succeed.

Even just kicking them off the world would likely result in one or more of the Gods dragging the entire planet into the Warp as a final fuck you to everyone living there.

14. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Thinking on it, I think the biggest twist here is Paol's thoughts regarding Katarin.

This one has local metaknowledge.

15. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

There are lots of people who day in, day out, claim that any new idea they ever encounter someone having is impossible. They keep on claiming it, and quietly the innovator Moe's ahead and does it. Then they move on, while the naysayers keep claiming it's impossible until they eventually claim the next thing is impossible.

16. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

Except Pau... Paol has as much chance of Shiving the Chaos gods as OL has of beating the asembled Elemental Embodiments. That is to say, a fart in the wind.

AngelicKnight. and Darko like this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There is impossible that people can overcome and then there is impossible like trying put out the sun with a feather.
    Paol is trying to put out the sun with a feather in this case.

18. Doc Sithicus

Doc Sithicus Not too sore, are you?

Gotta say it Mr Zoat, those two chapters in WFB were nice palate cleansers after 25 chapters of ponies.

Prince Charon, vali, Nianque and 6 others like this.
  19. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

Inconsistent spelling (nehe/neha) and it's unclear whether High N. is Ancient N. or a different form.

if -> it

number agreement: manias is -> mania is or manias are? unless manias is a technical Warhammer term I suppose

20. Valiran

Valiran Seeker of fluffiness

He didn’t reform them, he branded them.

Warhammer Fantasy, ladies and gentlemen! One of the few universes where you don’t have to feel the slightest twinge of guilt about violating another person’s free will in the worst way imaginable, because some of them deserve that much or worse.

As a general rule, Druchii fit neatly into the “They Had It Coming” category.

Wait, what? I thought you had been permabanned?

Apparently whenever an Ork dies Gork and Mork just stick him in another body, so that’s less of a negative than you’d think.

Bramble Thorn, Ardy and Darko like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, he reached into their heads and completely reprogrammed their desires.
    That was a joke. Changing a princess to a prince..?
    That's what the orks believe, yes. You will note that no ork has ever been referred to as having past life memories.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They could lose their memories of their previous life.

23. ArKFallen

ArKFallen _____

I'd give him significantly higher chance against the Chaos gods because they arose and sustain from specific types of mortal interactions (hope, despair, rage, depression I think) while Elemental Embodiments are from immortal interactions (material elements). Changing the general trends of everyday life is significantly easier and less dangerous than with local physics(which is how the Chaos Wastes formed).

Even with those trends changed you'd probably need to actually go into Chaos and kill them the same way you'd do so to any large scope energy being. Then the daemons struggle against each other for power, eventually(30secs, a decade, epochs?) a couple of them gain enough of an edge to persist, and we have a new set of signifcantly weaker Chaos gods.

24. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

It's not when the WHF chaos gods are multiversal and just pulling thier punches for the lols of it.

25. Mr Zoat

That's not exactly it. The Chaos Gods exist in the Warp, an parallel universe based on a form of psycho reactive magic. They can affect the material universe, but that mostly happens by causing the two to merge in places. And as far as we know they can only do that with the one material universe they're next to.

26. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I'm not sure orks have present life memories
    non-canon but...

27. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

I'm not sure you thought this point all the way through....

28. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

*blinks* really?has there been another round of banishment's to the retconian ive missed- from memory, the Entity had two long-term plans for dealing with the warp- and one was catastrophically flawed-though to be fair, it WAS operating under incomplete information...
    my understanding is, that it was running two long-term goals beyond "cement power,fortify humanities holdings":

plan Two: either bore into, or reverse-engineer the Old one's webway gates using human psytech instead of wraithbone (which, to be fair, would massively reduce the influence of immaterial predators on the imperium-rendering the regular/routine use of warptech obsolete WOULD be a significant improvement as well as potentially reducing transit times significantly)-
    Plan one was essentially "starve the chaos gods to death", hence the imperial truth-and was, sadly, built upon a massive misunderstanding of HOW warp entities gain power (it thought it was direct worship-in actuality it was emotion itself)-
    i have no recollection of him working on Cadian Pylon-knockoffs- could you do me a solid and throw me a link, boss?

...and i...Agree with Vae about the....wildly optimistic nature of WHFB! Paul's Plans-
    especially since he just blurted his intent out loud-
    if he had more of a powerbase/resourses saved up, i could see a sneak attack with overwhelming force/exploiting an esoteric weakness maybe crippling/neutralizing ONE of the squabbling self-important daemons, but.....

and his..criticism about the.... well....
    Earth is where the High lords live. its in the same system as MARS. given that its one of the most strategically important locations in the imperium- and at least SOME of the mechanicus's vessels are both AI OPERATED (canon,minimum of ONE Ark mechanicus,its only survived by actively mindwiping anyone with implants who interfaces to both hide its own existance, AND that the ship is carrying a complete STC database that its been actively keeping the techprists away from since the collapse of the golden age) and have achronal targeting (temporal bullshittery- id say to ask the Ordo Chronos, but afaik they're still unstuck in time as of Mil42- from memory, said targeting system was half broken,and it was still retroactively adjusting its aim after/before/myheadhurts a "miss" to entire the shot at minimum clipped the target) for their SINGULARITY PROJECTORS-

IF the injection point was planetside or on Luna, i could see it being doable- theres things important enough to delay/slow firing at the unknown intruder long enough for you to get your barings,, but in orbit over the moon of the most heavily secured planet in the explored galaxy?

its...the one system in the galaxy where you can reliably expect the local guard AND Navy to send their best for the garrison- and actually have COMPLETE equipment loads (most of the ships probably have those wondrous archeotech autoloaders the shipwrights stopped building after they forgot what hydraulics/pnumatics were, the more advanced targeting systems that were too expensive for voidcraft sent to the outer segmentium....)- High Terra orbit is....not a place you can...be expected to survive the time it takes to get your bearings after being teleported there in your pajamas's with what you have no way of knowing in the few seconds you have is a working glowtech power ring-
    the standard SIP (SIPaul) insertion point in this case is..... pretty damned close to "right in the middle of a frakking killbox"
    the jokes about guardsmen having paper mache armour and a flashlight?
    the units operating in Sol probably have easy access to carapace and auto/boltguns as standard equipment...

the idiotic slave-labour setups requiring thousands of slaves/serfs to use a pulley to load a multi-thousand ton macrocanon shell? the ships on perminent sol assignment are probably picked from the ones that are either entirely using plasma macros, or have FF autoloading setups....

....essentially, its the location in the imperium where the training AND equipment of the local defensive forces is as close as it gets to 30k/the pre death of scientific literacy days, as well as there being that MASSIVE warp rift barely being held closed by the golden toilet- its like sticking your dick into a pickle slicer and praying that the power's turned off -

and as my Dragon would say, it doesnt matter how fancy or expensive your shielding system is,when its faced with an esoteric attack vector, that goes right through like it isnt there because it relies on a principle/physical law completely alien to the principles of the shielding device...

29. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

The ship-scale weapons with enough force to take out an Orange Lantern wouldn't have the accuracy to hit him. The smaller ones used to take out fighter craft wouldn't have enough force to take him out.

He'd just need to gun for Mars and he'd probably be fine. He'd just need to use the Ring to hack into the Martian datanets and find a Tech Priest willing to classify the Ring as Archaeotech.

I think Ghazhgul might?

30. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

See, the thing about space, its one really defining feature, is that it's big. Depending on the speed at which he threw them off the planet it could very well be millions of years until they encounter anything at all much less a planet with multicellular life.

The difference between "This is solved forever" and "This is solved until a period of time many times longer than humanity has existed as a species" is entirely academic.

And even that goes away if he aimed for an asteroid. They can be immortal all they like, they ain't getting off one of them without help.

Ardy, WereDragon, Lupercal and 4 others like this.