1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Nekron would be smacked down like a little bitch in the Buffy Verse.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Ancalador

Ancalador Know what you're doing yet?

By what, exactly?

Not being sarcastic or anything, but what in the Buffyverse is powerful enough to take on Nekron?

3. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

In theory, The Powers That Be are nigh-omnipotent and nigh-omniscient and could do something about Nekron showing up. They supposedly care about Humanity and guiding the forces of good.

In practice, they do fuck all besides occasionally handing out visions that let heroic individuals stop demonic shit.

For whatever reason, they insist on not actively intervening. Only indirectly guiding people. To the point that when a character actually managed to ascend to their ranks she spent nearly every moment of her time as one of the Powers basically bitching about how she's not allowed to just zap problems away.

It's a thing I really fucking hate in fiction.

"Oh, there's actually a group of good aligned beings with the power of gods hanging around and they could easily solve so many problems with the forces of darkness . . . But they arbitrarily decided on a non-interference clause because apparently letting a shitload of people suffer and die at the hands of demonic forces is better than just nipping that demon problem in the bud."

So what the Powers would actually do if it looked like the Black Ring was nearing 100% charge is throw out a few prophetic visions to get other people to stop him from maxing out the charge.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  4. infinityDivided

infinityDivided ******** of Doom

Given that "The Powers That Be" relied on more or less mortal humans to do their job for them, and Nekron is a universe-level threat, I'm betting on Nekron. Admittedly, nearly everything I know about BtVS is from a crossover fanfic, and everything I know about DC is from fanfiction and the crappy wikis, so I could be wrong.

5. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Has Mr Zoat mentioned how he's handling the multiple incarnations of Death in this setting? I'm not sure what the mainstream DC canon's stance is on having Death of the Endless, Nekron, the Rot, the New Gods' Black Racer, the Speed Force's Black Flash (though since there's no Speed Force on Earth-16Z this one is pointless) all together. Sure, you have multiple gods and spirits linked to death like Hades, but that does seem different from these elemental embodiments.

WhiteNoise, Vorian and Darko like this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The best excuse the Powers have is that they aren't able to interfere that much with the mortal world, not just because of their rules but they can't do it because that is how their powers work and they do it through agents.

Zoat said that Old Gods in his story can't manifest their full powers in the mortal world when assuming an avatar, to the point that a high tier metahuman could defeat them with difficulty, so they either sire demigods or empower mortal to do their bidding, so maybe that is what is happening with the Powers in Buffy

Though yeah they do a pretty shitty job even if they are limited.

For Death of the Endless I think that Zoat would portray her as being the embodiment of all death, while the others like Nekron represent emotional death, the Rot physical death, the Black Racer could be some kind of Grim Reaper for the New Gods.

7. infinityDivided

infinityDivided ******** of Doom

From what I recall, Death of the Endless can be thought of as "That Which is Willingly Embraced", and Nekron is "The Final Opponent". The Rot is an Elemental Plane centered on Earth, and does not cover the entire universe. No clue about the others.

Ngamer11, jonasquinn, Jaron and 6 others like this.
  8. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Well, we do have one example of a Power that thought it was really fucking stupid to not actively intervene in Earth's affairs.

She had to set in motion a lot of convoluted and even nasty shit to basically exploit a loophole that would let her manifest on Earth without the other Powers stopping her.

Called herself Jasmine and her solution to world peace and the triumph of good was to basically mass-brainwash the world. The heroes eventually stopped her because knowing and uttering her true name fucks her avatar hard.

As for why they moved to stop her? Beyond not liking the mind control stuff, she had to eat people to sustain her avatar. And the greater her influence on Earth the more people she had to eat to keep her avatar going. (Because apparently mind-controlling people to be good is a real power hog.)

One of the last things she says before being defeated . . .

And how many will die because of you? I could've stopped it, Angel. All of it. War, disease, poverty. How many precious, beautiful lives would’ve been saved in a handful of years? Yes, I murdered thousands to save billions. This world is doomed to drown in its own blood now.

9. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Swamp Thing once travelled to Lantern Medphyll's planet or something, right? I thought that meant the Elemental Planes are actually universal in scope, like Hell is; it's just divided into sub-planes tied to specific places, and it's difficult to travel between them.

I remember coming across that quote on TV Tropes, and seem to remember Neil Gaiman disapproving of it, saying that Death of the Endless is the ultimate embodiment (and as a prequel story shows, she wasn't always the cheerful version we know and love).

I did forget that Paragon has identified the black light as a desire for nullity or death drive, so there's a clear distinction there (I'm still holding out for Desire meeting with Paul and/or Ophidian, since that's a bit analogous to Death and Nekron).
    Also, not to call you out or anything Darko, but I recommend using the Reply/Quote function, it provides some clarity on the flow of the conversation that I need sometimes when reading your posts, especially on the few occasions that you're replying to me and I've missed it.

10. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

There's one Dream and one Destiny, with the Book of Fate, for the whole DC universe, and the universe comes out of the Dreaming (in the pretty cosmological pictures that you can find online), so, odds are Death is the one for the entire universe, and maybe she keeps a Black Racer costume in her wardrobe...

Of course, DC may have thrown that out the window, in yet another retcon...

Nekron is up there with Trigon and Satanish, over-powers of evil...

11. WaleXdraK

WaleXdraK Not too sore, are you?

Death of the Endless said to Lex Luthor that her role is to be the death of all thing, even Nekron, so i guess then like someone said above me, Death is the true embodiment of Death (....i hope you don’t lose me on that one) while Nekron and the others are just embodiment of some of the facet of the concept.

12. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Atrocitus survived a black lantern taking his heart, because as a red lantern he wasn't using it anyway.

Doccer, jonasquinn, Darko and 5 others like this.
  13. Siiracai The Supernal

Siiracai The Supernal Shadows and Balance

I love that this story has been going on long enough that we have names for certain kinds of posts :). (No sarcasm, I legitimately love this)

14. liger0

liger0 Getting out there.

So, since we're in the middle of an event involving countless different versions of the SI, and one of the films (Justice League) is currently on my TV right now, I was just wondering, is there a version of him in the DC Extended Universe?

Darko and Cuchulin like this.
  15. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

IIRC the Black Racer/Black Flash is "Death as inevitable end".

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The Powers that Be, various surviving Old Ones, a number of other things capable of high level reality alteration.

Also possibly Buffy herself depending on what point in the timeline it is.

Doccer, Darko and Cuchulin like this.
  17. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

If it was any one else or if she was operating in any other universe i'd disagree, but Buffy becomes THE Slayer the Slayer to end all Slayers, the longest lived and most experienced slayer with the biggest most varied body count of any slayer ever.

Darko likes this.
  18. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Mr Zoat
    Are there any Pauls in a Power Rangers universe?
    Or Kamin Rider universe?

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Zoat said something about a April Fools episode with Rita Repulsa once.

Cuchulin likes this.
  20. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

He did say a while back that there was going to be an MMPR one, but I really think an orange ring in Kamen Rider OOO would be interesting.

Darko likes this.
  21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Given how much people underestimate the characters from that setting, that could be hilariously tragic.

Lupercal and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Hey, Xander crushed on Dracula. Sort of.

Also, his Spike comments.

The way I understand it it's a Mutual Assured Destruction situation. If both sides went full out, they and Earth would die. So they play an indirect game.

Remember that the bad guys are holding back as well: the Wolf, the Ram and the Heart could throw LA into a hell dimension on a whim. Yet they didn't.

Darko likes this.
  23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Pretty much.

Hell, the only reason BL Paul likely still exists is because one side or another is using him to further their own aims.

Doccer, Cuchulin and Handlewithcare like this.
  24. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

Alternatively, they've already got things handled, tossing issues just big enough to drain his energy fighting whenever he gets too powerful while making sure he doesn't get in such trouble that he goes on a murder spree and starts getting upper percentiles.

Cuchulin, Handlewithcare and Darko like this.
  25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And the only reason they would do something like that instead of just utterly destroying him is if one side or the other was using him for something.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The other reason Zaul may still exist is that he is just an insignificant individual at this point.

He has probably just been killing vamps this entire time and not doing anything that big to attract the attention of the big players yet.

The ring and its connection to Nekron also wouldn't count if the various powers can't sense the connection it has to him, or they think he is nothing special seeing as there are probably thousand of things that have a connection to some evil god like thing in the universe and they just think that Nekron is small potatoes either because they are underestimating him, or because he may very well be small potatoes in comparison to some of the things running around the Buffyverse

27. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, but April 2013 has a few segments where far future Grayven went there in an attempt to save the Justice League film from being rubbish. He openly states his motivation, allies with other somewhat-realised characters with believable motivations and actually wins a few fights to establish himself as a threat.
    Yep. Next year.

28. Threadmarks: Repetition (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

12th August 1997
    23:29 GMT -7

The fact that the library is called the Sunnydale Library doesn't mean that this is that Sunnydale. America has a line in places with odd names, Jump City being the case in point. Apparently it was a mishearing of a word from the local tribal dialect when the area was first settled by Europeans, though 'Sunnydale' sounds more like a fifties New Town.

If this is that Sunnydale, then was my orange alter-ego's ward set off by the mayor directly, or by whatever area effect thing he has that makes people actually want to live here? Atrocitus was kind enough to give me some basic lessons on blood magic, and I can do a few simple rituals, but anything sophisticated is beyond me. One of the simplest things I can do is blood divination, and that's probably going to be quicker than wandering around at random or asking my ring.

Of course, since I'm a neophyte, what I can actually get out of this is a bit basic.

I raise my hands, calling upon the spirits of the vengeful dead to answer my-

"Ah. Hey."

-call-.

I lower my hands and look at the…

That's Oz. This is that Sunnydale.

So many glorious targets. If the mayor isn't immortal yet then I'm pretty sure I could kill the serial killing monster baiting shit. I mean, the whole 'masquerade' thing barely made sense when it was just Sunnydale and the Hellmouth. Because if magic exists and has existed since human prehistory, on a power level where a few years' study grants the ability to conjure observable phenomena, civilisation should be unrecognisable. At the very least, the knowledge shouldn't be ring fenced like it is here.

I wonder if I can talk Time Trapper or Red Queen into sending me back here?

"Hello." I drift a little closer. "What can I do for you?"

"Are you..? A vampire?"

He sounds more curious than afraid. I land a short distance from him.

"No. I'm a superhero."

"Right. But a superhero who's a vampire, or a superhero who's not a vampire?"

"I'm not a vampire. Though I am looking for an undead. They should look like me, with a black ring?"

"Ah…" He shakes his head. "Haven't seen him."

"Do you know where I might find some undead?"

He manages a small shrug. "Have you..? Tried the graveyard?"

"I wouldn't have thought that established undead would spend much time there." Another small shrug. "Thank you for your suggestion, but I think that I'll leave it as a last resort."

He nods, frowning in thought.

"Are superheroes a thing? 'Cause, I only just started finding out about vampires being a thing. Which makes me think that other things I didn't think were things might be things as well."

"I can't speak for Sunnydale, but if there are people with supernatural or preternatural abilities who devote themselves to the greater good, then yes, even if they don’t follow the usual tropes of superheroism. Costumes aren't required, though armour is recommended. I come from a parallel universe so I can't speak for any local colleagues who may or may not exist."

"Huh."

"Well, pleasant talking to you, but I really must-."

Dust and lumps of tarmac explode past me, and I blast a line between me and the impact zone clear! Cars parked on the roads around us get the worst of it: the windows and panelling facing the centre of the blast are smashed and caved, alarms blaring pointlessly into the night.

"Mister Oz, are you alright?"

He takes a moment to check himself over, then brushes off the dust that got past me. "Uh, yeah. Surprisingly, actually."

"Any idea what that was?"

"Ah… No."

I nod. "Ordinarily, I'd suggest running, but since I don't know what it was, I'll leave that up to you."

Pieces of debris that were thrown directly upwards rain down as the dust clouds begin to clear, and through them I see a shape. Humanoid. Clothing seems loose

"Stupid ground!"

Female voice. Adult. Not in distress. Someone new to super strength navigation? She.. strides out of the clouds. Pale skin, unkempt blonde hair and… Hospital uniform? Bare left foot, and she kicks off what's left of her right shoe a moment later. She doesn't look injured.

She fixes her eyes on me, heading my way at walking pace.

"You."

"How may I be of service?"

"Yes, you, new minion. Open a portal for me."

"Where would you like to go?"

"Home. Back to my own dimension."

"I'm afraid that I can't open that sort of portal myself, but if you like I can ask someone who can if they can help you?"

She stops. "Really? You'd do that for me?"

"Certainly. It doesn't cost me anything to ask. And if it turns out that you're a problem I can always kill you later."

She tilts her head slightly to the left, an open-mouthed smile on her lips.

"Huh. Yeah, about-"

She blurs forward but I'm already shooting upward and her grasping hand narrowly fails to snag my right boot. A dash back and her follow up leap misses.

"-that-."

An energy pulse from me destroys the paving slab she uses as an ersatz projectile and then I've had about enough of her shit. I open my mouth and douse her with a stream of the Butcher's blood, the highly caustic substance melting-.

Her clothes and-.

"Heh."

I just turned her hair from dull blonde to peroxide blonde.

All of her hair.

I feel my anger falter at the sheer ridiculousness of it, and my flight aura wobbles.

The woman looks at her arm, noticing that the sleeve is gone. Then she checks her body. Then she takes hold of a strand of her hair in her right hand and holds it in front of her eyes.

Then she drops it and glares at me.

"Oh, very mature."

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  29. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

Huh. I didn't realize untill now, but there was no April Fools chapter.

30. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

I have no knowledge whatsoever of Buffy. Is this related or something from a different source?