1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Ambush Bug, is that you?

Cuchulin and Gilhelmi like this.
  2. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Depending on where we are in the Buffy timeline - didn't Mayor Wilkins have some hefty mojo invested in "pay no attention to the immortal behind the curtain"?

3. GamingPizza1998

GamingPizza1998 Verified Pizza

Where is black Paul again?

4. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Not canonically. He's just that charismatic. Which makes sense, considering that he's a warlock :p

BR549, BBJimmy, Doccer and 2 others like this.
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think that Baul didn't mine the asteroids for gold, though I could be mistaken as he gave Ultraman a gift of some kind, probably money, so maybe he did get something, just not that much.

6. Agent Orange

He did. He gave him freshly minted coins with the Syndicate motto on the back side. I think he straight out said he made them from asteroid metal but I couldn't be bothered to check.

jonasquinn, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  7. WaleXdraK

WaleXdraK Not too sore, are you?

He is in the Buffy The vampire Slayer verse.

Cuchulin and GamingPizza1998 like this.
  8. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

nobodez, Vorian, Jaron and 4 others like this.
  9. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

What is SEP?

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  10. Doccer

Chinese sense?

Chojin Patriarch and Darko like this.
  11. Agent Orange

Someone Else's Problem field. The thing that makes the Muggles ignore all the wierd or even impossible stuff the protagonists and antagonists get up to in broad daylight.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Chinese sense meaning that it is interesting, but not necessarily in a good way.

13. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

"May you like in interesting times" like the last month or so....

14. Doccer

I remember the Black Lantern fic by Spencer1519 I liked awhile back that had a solution to emotion heart RIP out thing:

FEAR
    WILL

FEAR

Heart is ready for harvest.

What?

I stared at the ring. Complete shock washed over me. If shock was in the emotional spectrum, I’d qualify for a shock ring. I looked back at the mysterious woman, who was virtually opaque to my “ring senses,” and couldn’t possibly be the source. I looked down. I was glowing. “Heart is ready for harvest.” My heart, because I could feel. Like any other emotional being, I was part of the spectrum, and I had finally generated enough emotional energy to qualify for harvesting. I wasn’t done yet.

I looked back up at the woman. She was smiling. It seems she agreed with me. I smiled back. Then I laughed. I couldn’t stop myself. I cackled like a madman, head thrown back and arms spread wide.

I took that very last drop of power I had.

I formed claws of shadow.

I ripped out my own heart.

Ring capacity at 11.99%

Could this work in the rules of how your story works?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  15. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

to be fair, a lot of the downgraded production models in gundam make sense-
    I mean, the OG GM’s were explicitly meant to be balanced between the Origional prototype’s high performance in most areas,and ease of manufacture ( and interestingly, according to the MSG novel, the original design actually was flawed-quite heavily in at least one mission-vital system, irreparably without a major design change that was dismissed due to the moral-boost of its distinctive appearance-
    the dual camera system had serious issues with ghost images/Visual rendering artifacte that Amauro was implied to be unconsciously compensating for, for one - which also raises questions about how much of his gundam’s capabilities were actually early expressions of his NT abilities- and how much weaker the Generic-model/ mass production derivatives with oldtype pilots actually WERE-, but I digress)- compare some of the more common design changes between a pre-production firearm and the service-accepted versions, for instance!

I think part of why the super prototype trope is so long-lives is due to confusion with concept/“maximum” designs intended to show the absolute best the company/nation can achieve, that’re either dead ends,or if not,usually heavily paired back for practical mass production...

16. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Wait until tomorrow to find out! No.

17. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

I feel bad for Zaul, at least Paul and Raul had memories of other DC properties to help them when their memories of Young Justice and Teen Titans was erased but he would have absolutely no idea what's going on in Buffy

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Jonas raises a good point in that if the various Paul's forget the setting they are in, then Zaul would be in a lot of trouble, seeing as there is only the one Buffy setting, unlike the whole DC franchise and its various settings

jonasquinn and Navi-Hank like this.
  19. Lupercal

Lupercal Not too sore, are you?

Not quite true. The movie is in a slightly different universe. The key events also happened in the tv show but not in the same way as the movie.

Cuchulin likes this.
  20. Galler

Galler Not too sore, are you?

"Oh.. you'r Buffy Summers, Angelus's ex girlfriend! If possible could you point me in his direction? I tried looking for his private investigation agency but I don't think it has been invented yet."

21. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I recall DnD and other RPGs where the rule was that the characters, even if very well read, couldn't recall the particular book-world that they were visiting... But, if there were several books in a series they could recall other ones, which might feature the same characters/world, just not the particular one. Or, the ref dumped them in a fork (say, a 'bad ending') of a particular book-world... Yes, you've found the hero, but, unfortunately you're going to have to raise them from death (or at least rescue them from slavery) to get the info you want...

With regard to the Buffy-verse, you could say you could recall all but the particular 'season' you're visiting, treating each season as equivalent to a 'novel' in a series of books... But, I'm pretty sure Mr Zoat wont do that. :)

Navi-Hank likes this.
  22. Galler

These two dont seem to match up.

23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, modified.
    It's fine, I've read Buffy comics.

24. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

As usual lately I'm behind and playing catchup. This one was in yesterday's post.

we've

25. BlueAnime88

BlueAnime88 Always Fear! For I am EVERYWHERE!!

anybody got links to Blue Lantern Paul?

26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

27. Threadmarks: Repetition (part 11)
    Mr Zoat

12th August 1997
    23:24 GMT -7

The revenant before me lifts the elderly homeless man up by the shirt and looks at him critically.

"I 'unno. You carrying anything?"

"Don’t have anything, don't have any money. Just leave me alone."

"You smell good." The revenant shakes its head. "Which is kinda freaky, to be honest. You sure don't look like you should smell good-. I mean, ew, right? I'm not telling you anything you don't know. But something about this whole situation really sets me off."

The revenant bangs him against the wall behind me a couple of times, like a cat toying with something that might be able to resist a little more if it were properly motivated. It's curious how many of them act like that. I've certainly never felt the drive, but then.. I.. suppose I'm not exactly like the rest.

"Hearts ready for harvesting."

The revenant looks around at the voice, its eyes narrowing slightly as it tries to pick me out in the dark. Their… Alright, our, vision is better than what humans have, but between my body's lack of vital function and my environmental shield I don't make much noise or reflect much light.

"Oh, hey." The revenant smiles. "Didn't see you there."

Clearly. But that's a statement of fact. I'm not sure what it expects me to say.

"You been here long?"

"About a minute and a half."

"No, no, I mean Sunnydale. Is this, like, your patch? Are you in charge?"

It seems to find the idea… Entertaining?

"I only got out of the ground last week, y'know? Still finding my feet with this whole 'vampire' thing? Is this face normal? Did Anne Rice lie to me?"

I take a couple of slow steps forward. "I did not know that. You seem to be managing. Yes, that face is normal, and I do not believe so."

It frowns. "Huh?"

"It is unlikely that Anne Rice has any real knowledge of the supernatural. As such, her misrepresentation would not be a lie."

"Oh. Yeah. Huh, you're English? Are all English vampires, like, super old and think American vampires are making all our kind look bad?"

"I am indeed English. I can't speak for English vampires in general but I myself have existed in this state for less than a year. And while American revenants do 'make us look bad', that same appears to be true for every nationality of vampire."

"Hah, yeah, I guess the whole 'eating people' thing never really looks…" It frowns. "You wanna share or something? Usually their blood pressure drops real quick when I feed and I end up having to bite them in a bunch of different places or just…" It grins. "Pull off their arms and shit and just let the blood spurt into my mouth, but if you-"

"-wanna share-? Or are hearts your thing? Oh, have you ever ripped someone's still-beating heart out of their chest and shown it to them? 'Cause I tried-"

"Yes."

"-that once and their ribs kinda ripped-. You have?" It looks excited, and I can see the strong confluence of lights in its chest. "That is so cool! Can I just feed on this guy a little bit and then give him to you so you can show me?"

A direct question.

"Yes."

"Mhhrrrrrrrnonononno."

"Is that like your ring tone or something?" The revenant grins. "Hah!"

"No."

"Whatever, dude." It holds the man out in my direction. "Come on! Go for it!"

Wasn't I supposed to say-. Ah, yes.

"You may wish to remove your outer garments."

"Yeah, kinda gets my engine running, too. Though that's not a vampire thing; I was kinda bitchy when I was a human, too."

"Strictly speaking, you were never human."

It looks at me with a frown. "Ah, pretty sure I remember being human, dude."

"Revenants such as yourself are demon-possessed corpses. You retain human memories because the brain of your host body has them, but you'll notice that you instinctively relate to them in a very different way. And I do not find violence arousing."

It frowns, then nods. "Does explain a few things. But-. Oh right! You're not draining him first! He's gunna splatter all over the place! Just a sec."

It passes me the homeless man and then takes off its coat and.. blouse, dropping them on the lid of a nearby bin. It then removes its skirt, depositing them on the pile. Then it strikes a pose.

"Yeah, demon-possessed corpse? Ultimate diet plan. And my family buried me in cheap shitty-ass clothes anyway. Guess I need to go back home and get my wardrobe back." It smiles at me and then nods at the homeless man. "Okay." It steps a little closer and holds its arms out to the side. "Hit me."

I thrust my right hand through its exposed chest and yank it back with its heart between my fingers.

It looks at it for an instant.

"Huh."

And then its entire body turns to dust.

"Feed."

The heart remains in my hand for a moment. Not beating, because why would it start now, but clearly existing separate from its former home. Then it etherealises, orange light being sucked into my ring.

"Power level two point two percent."

And then I remember the wonderful feeling of selfishness, of wanting and taking things for myself. I let the homeless man go and rummage through the revenant's clothing for-. Ah! Its purse! The first few times I did this I didn't separate the clothing first, and for some reason it turned to dust along with the rest, but now I usually manage to remember.

"Here." I hold it out to the homeless man. "Not a huge amount, but it's probably worth a meal or two."

He's sort of collapsed to the floor, just staring at-.

"Heart ready for harvesting."

Yes, he.. would be a good source. But I don't want to, and for now I remember that, and remember why. And there are plenty of more acceptable targets I can get a fear-filled heart from in a place like Sunnydale. And then rage and maybe hope, and then…

And then I'll start to feel a little more alive.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  28. Galler

29. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

...I mean, the corpse-demon did ask for it. Literally, even!

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'are demon' not 'as demon

lacks threadmark

A friendly neighborhood vampire version. Nice.

Wonder what his relationship with the Scoobies is like.

And before anyone says negative because they staked him remeber that they also did that to Spike, Angel and a whole bunch of others and then they became friends or at least allies