1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Is this the first Black Lantern chapter? I vaguely remember an older one, but it might have been no more than an omake snippet by a reader.

DAT_NOOB and RichardWhereat like this.
  2. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

He is normally also fixing another massive fuck up, and the follow on fuckups come as a result of not being given full information.

In this instance, knowing what a black lantern is, and what he's holding back. This was the SI's fault entirely. He knows that John errs on the line of defending mortals against monsters, and sends the dead to their rest. This was entirely preventable from Sentinel's pov, but he didn't think it through and pass on all the info.

John was right to do what he did, with the information that he had.

3. topin89

topin89 Virgin Centrist

I'm not sure about that. Anti-green rings kill their host in about a day. Lazarus Pit works by dragging a soul back to a dead body. Either anti-green Paul worked out how to get a soul really fast, or even a day in DC Universe gets you some probably very volatile soul-like thing, and the ritual must be performed as quickly as possible. Or something else, it's not in the FAQ and don't feel like traversing through all the threads.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat mentioned that being dipped in the Pit every single day got him filled with magic to make a soul.

5. topin89

topin89 Virgin Centrist

But how it worked the first time? Something soul-like should be there already.

Rafin, Vorian, Agent Orange and 2 others like this.
  6. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

It seems we have a new contender for ‘worst off Paul’.

Raul will probably like him. Someone made into a monster but still holding onto just enough sanity to aim at deserving targets.

Ngamer11, Vorian, jonasquinn and 3 others like this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Souls are essentially made of magic so by being dipped he got filled with it and made one.

The Pit's can also heal injuries by regenerating things so they probably just regenerated his body to how he was pre death when he didn't have a soul.

Bramble Thorn, Ngamer11 and topin89 like this.
  8. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Unlike everyone native to that universe, Paul can function without a soul.
    Just regenerating the body would be enough the first few times, until enough mojo soaked in.
    Hmm, OL has a soul make of best greedsnek, so the AGL one would have a soul made of a combination of green light and geomantic energy.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not sure if AGL would have any green light in his soul.
    Zoat said that it is basically an ordinary human one

Zoat said that Raul may have some red in his soul when Atrocitus gave him one.

10. WaleXdraK

WaleXdraK Not too sore, are you?

his heart was removed by a surgeon who without doubt was way more careful and made some alterations, DeadPaul just ripped it off his chest.

hehe DeadPaul, you see what i did there?

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If you mean DeadPaul is funny by it sounding similar to Type Moons Dead Apostles then yeah I see what you did there.

If it isn't this then I don't know what it is.

12. Razorfloss

Razorfloss I trust you know where the happy button is?

Was the corna cultist storyline dropped or is it going to pop back upater

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ahhh... what corna cultist are you talking about Razorfloss?

14. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

DC existing in the Buffyverse would not ensure that they recognize a Black Lantern or his power ring. The date given is '97, and I've not been able to find any references to Black Lanterns or power rings from any earlier than the late-00's

Vorian, jonasquinn, Navi-Hank and 2 others like this.
  15. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

Oh, boy. Even emotionless zombie Zoat is pedantic enough to use his own term for vampires instead of what literally everyone else on that world calls them.

16. WaleXdraK

WaleXdraK Not too sore, are you?

i was more going for DeadPaul = Deadpool (crazy anti-hero who can’t die) but since my first language isn’t english i’m not sure it sound the same even though it does if you pronounce it with french phonetic.

17. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Anti-Green Lantern Corps debuted in 82, unlike what Zoat presents they were black lanterns instead of green.[​IMG]

Next was Blacklight in the DCAU comic in 2001 [​IMG]. Blacklight would seem to be anti-green lantern redux, since he also powers his ring by draining the energy out of green lantern rings used against him.

But the Black Lantern Corps proper didn't debut until years later.

Ngamer11, Lupercal, Vorian and 7 others like this.
  18. infinityDivided

infinityDivided ******** of Doom

I was thinking about how difficult it would be for this Paul to gather particular emotions without compromising his moral code:

RAGE: Pretty easy, especially in a combat scenario.

AVARICE: As shown in the update, easy to get from sadists, rapists, and cannibals.

FEAR: Again, hilariously easy. They're trying to kill something with the strength of a corpse-demon that can't die to anything other than White Light or running out of ring charge. On the other hand, intense fear (especially when you haven't felt it for so long) is not the kind of thing you want to start feeling in the middle of battle.

WILL: Probably can get from more experienced, focused combatants. The downside being that in Sunnydale, there's only so many corpse-demons that have lived long enough to control themselves.

HOPE: This could be tricky. Maybe playing dead, letting them think they've killed him, and then surprise-attacking them before their hope turns into aggravation, fear, or resolve. Less likely to work on smarter or more experienced combatants.

COMPASSION: ...yeah, I've got nothing. The type of people capable of feeling compassion strongly enough to gather charge from are usually either people who don't deserve to die, or can possibly be talked around. Fortunately for Paul, his natural desires (THE UNIVERSE IS WRONG WRONG WRONG I WILL MAKE IT RIGHT) can sub for this.

LOVE: As the Zamorans demonstrate, there plenty of people capable of feeling love who are also horrible wastes of space. Easier to gather from ambush tactics, for it takes a very unusual type of person indeed to feel love on the battlefield.

LIFE: This could be tricky. And possibly lethal. The exact mechanics of how Black Light and White Light interact are nebulous, as Death/Silence can feed on Life, but Life is also the sole weakness of Death/Silence. Assuming that attempting to harvest this WON'T kill him, there's still three obstacles:

1. Finding a person who appreciates Life in all of its glory, and is feeling it long enough for him to get there and rip out their heart.

2. Finding a person who appreciates Life in all of its glory, and also deserves to die.

3. Even if he can harvest White Light safely, I'm not sure that FEELING it would be.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  19. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

Hm... The violet ring he is using probably has a Zamoran tech database, right?
    I wonder what there traditional solution is to that sort of temporal attack...

Darko likes this.
  20. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

At 100% White, You get "Heart is ready for harvesting." and Black wins. At any other percent, White instagibs Black. This is why White Lanterns can nuke Black Lanterns, but Nekron can eat the Life Entity. Because the Life Entity is always at 100% and heart is ready for harvesting.

Also for the dusting debate: Having your heart ripped out by a Black Lantern feeding on you kills you, regardless of if you would normally have lasted another six hours or not. And vampires dust when killed.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Zamarons may not have that many protocols in place for dealing with temporal attacks because they may be extremely rare.
    They may not have that many protocols in place for a lot of things seeing as unlike the GLC they are the youngest corps and while the OLC are also fairly recent their bosses have been fighting a war with an enemy for some time and have added protocols to their rings.

Harvesting compassion could work if he finds someone that has for example been helping a monster kill people and feels sorry for them and is trying to help them in a misguided way.
    The same can be used for love.

Ngamer11, Navi-Hank and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

23. infinityDivided

infinityDivided ******** of Doom

A Black Lantern can charge from any of the colors, not just indigo. But unless they're like this Paul, they won't feel anything from doing so.

Ngamer11, Jaron, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  24. Aeess

My point was rather because of what happens when a Black Lantern is at 100%.

Darko likes this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat said that if this version gets his ring at 100% then things will be BAD.

Cuchulin likes this.
  26. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

Did Zoat say getting the Black Ring to 100% charge would be bad ( summoning Nekron into the Buffyverse) or is it that Zaul believes that is a possibility so that’s why Zoat said it would be bad.

27. Aeess

Zoat the writer said reaching 100% would be bad.

Jaron, Ardy, Navi-Hank and 4 others like this.
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He just said that if it got to full charge then it would be bad, while if it got to zero charge he would just be a corpse

Ardy, Navi-Hank, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  29. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

I’m wonder what ‘of the badness’ would happen if a Black Ring got to 100% in the Buffyverse.

Summon Nekron? From where? Does he exist in that universe or would he be summoned from another? Is Nekron multi-universal?

Would it overwhelm Zaul and make him LIKE Nekron with wanting to kill all life/the Life Entity?

Would it summon/call/open a gateway to some Buffyverse Demon/God/Old One connected to Death?

Goddammit Zoat every new SI New Starting Location DLC has the FRESH and NEW vibe to the point where I want like 20 WTR spinoff stories now.

30. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Canonically, Nekron has worked with Krona.

In this story, that is because way back when Krona was first experimenting with power rings, he had some indirect communication with Nekron and made a single black ring, which the Black Lantern SI now wears.

If the Black Lantern SI reaches 100%, Nekron starts to hear it. He doesn't turn up immediatelybut he's not the sort of person you want taking an interest in your universe.