1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Red Queen leaving the portal open died, the Red Queen in the Manhunter robot survived.

The possibility that she's bugged or a Krona plant or something is well rather obviously a possibility but unproven so far.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'my help' not 'by help'

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  3. Ancalador

Ancalador Know what you're doing yet?

Since she didn't inform them that she isn't the Red Queen they know then she has her own agenda. Whether that means she works for Krona or she thinks The Pauls will give her a way out we don't know.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

5. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

The fact it happened at all is worrying enough. Honestly, I'm still blaming it on hidden override protocols, ala the Laws from the Book of Oa for the Greenies.

Ah, he's not moody. he's hung-over. I suppose a forced Red rampage is unpleasantly like being an angry drunk...

Wow, the Indigo really has done a number on him, hasn't it?

'Oh god, he's a hippy.' Raul groaned. 'How could I have fallen so far?'

The joy of having two of the stealthier Ring-slinger powersets in the game... And going stealthy with Red is damn hard, I tell you what. Half the time you're intimidating people into not paying attention to you...

Saul has a point. He's the FNG in this plot.

Two against hundreds, if the full Corps hasn't been recalled due to emergency stipulations. And even if you've got powersets well suited to breaking Will, them's bad odds.

Got to love being able to tell another person that and have it mean something.

Which points to it as an Elseworlds. Or fanfiction. Really, Raul, head aching too much for critical thought?:p

Mostly because of their hands-off management of the side-kick team.

Ah, the one drawback of the mind-wipe. When two Pauls start comparing notes, things get a lot clearer.

And now Raul gets to be the butt of the Paul Corps jokes. The only thing worse would be Raul-GO!'s fate...

Yay for ring-enhanced memory. Perfect for embarrassing friends.

And now Raul has a 'My god, what have I been doing?' moment...

Ironically, Saul is one of the few who wouldn't have much problem with the skull-ripping at all. Outside of a few Khorne jokes.

Says the man who threatened necrophilia on someone to break them out of suicidal behaviour. Admittedly, he probably wouldn't have gone through with it...

On the upside, the staff also affects people around him, so wherever he goes, he makes the Boys-verse a slightly better place... Even if you could only measure that improvement with a pico-scale gauge.

And to be honest, after the first couple, it's just gotten to be a habit, especially with Komie around.

"Consider the people they face..."

Yup. Gotta wonder how Ennis still does it these days. Is it just morbid fascination, 'let's see how bad the trainwreck can be' impulses that gets him work or what?

To be fair, Wee Hughie is the nicest guy in the story. He just got stuck in a terrible place... And is in a Garth Ennis book...

Hey, no judgement. You know you'd probably try to help them if you were able...

I'm sure that would have been sorely tempting, especially if he had retained his knowledge of the setting...

And in this case, you'd want to bust out the vibro-blade, if not a lightsaber. Raul would probably just kill his way down the corporate ladder until he found someone who wasn't utterly irredeemable... Though there wouldn't be much left of Vought-American by then...

And the prize for understatement of the decade goes to...

Nice of him to remember, Indigo doesn't know shit about any of this...

Urge to kill rising...
    'Shut up, Ring...'

Oh, I bet she does, but not for the right reasons...

And this just got more complicated...

Oh, boy. Is this going to end up with Raul and Saul vs OL and Maul vs Zaul and the Golds in a big dumb fight? No, no. This is Mr Zoat we're talking about... No way would he do something that comic-booky...

In this episode:
    OL - Our original SI
    Maul - Time Trapper Paul (Formerly 'Mandated' Paul)
    Baul - Blue Lantern Paul, YJ Crime Syndicate Earth
    Raul - Red Paul, Teen Titans cartoon
    Saul - Indigo Paul, 'The Boys'
    Zaul - Black Lantern Paul ('Zombie' Paul), Buffyverse

Others:
    Yaul - Yellow Lantern Paul, Thundercats 2011
    Gaul - Anti-Green Paul, Justice League 'Pilot' version
    Any others?

6. Istaran

Istaran Know what you're doing yet?

I'd say it's the default possibility, and the idea that she is on Time Trapper's side somehow would be a twist.

Chaoswind likes this.
  7. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Making the rounds.

I think I would have preferred "Taul" if I were choosing.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey Chojin this is Zoat we're talking about here, he could just as easily have this thing end in a pointless comic book fight that is unnecessary and could have been solved if both sides just talked to each other.
    Remember he likes to break cliches and his stories solution of a reasonable discussion could have just become a cliche and he wants to break it.

9. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

Maybe you could use them to build something.

Like a really nice chair.

10. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

Say, silly question.... Are we going to get to see the Red Lantern Paul from the "Teen Titan 'GO'" universe?

(No, don't get me started. The "Teen Titan" and "Teen Titan 'GO'" universes are completely separate things. I will not hear anything different.)

DAT_NOOB and Prince Charon like this.
  11. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

He's not canon.

DAT_NOOB, Ganurath, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  12. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

'called'?

If you wanted a name that'd make sense to me, 'TTPaul', or 'TTaul' if you insist, would make more sense than 'Maul'... Of course, in a lot of cases just calling them by their ring colour would make things easier, which I supposed would include AGL, for the unfortunate 'Anti-Green Lantern'... (If you wanted to be techie, I suppose you could use !GL...)

Is using versions of 'Paul' supposed to be going along with the SI objection to using supers names, because it just encourages them? :)

Our heroes hide from those that should be their allies is a classical part of many quests... As is that one of them has (maybe) been subverted... So, I expect Mr Zoat to take a left turn at Albuquerque. :)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    Vorian, Cuchulin, Darko and 2 others like this.
  13. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

Zoat, since we're talking about Pauls in Garth Ennis comics, what would you have done with a Paul in Garth Ennis's Crossed comic? Let's be generous and give him an operational power lantern because that world is so shit he needs one.

Thoughts?

14. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Not really a world with supers, so arguable doesn't match the WTR criterion? Basically, 'Crossed' is a post-holocaust setting, which is something that's been done a lot. If you wanted to be cruel you could say Golding's 'Lord of the Flies' falls in this category, and they've had kids study that in school...

But then, what would I know? :)

15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Depends. Most colours would try to carry out a mass curing. Those that couldn't would try to evacuate as many people as possible off-planet.

Ngamer11, Bramble Thorn, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  16. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

You mean he should use his skulls for the skull throne?

Which should presumably mean that Red's first thought about being in a Teen Titans universe would be Teen Titans Go, since he doesn't even remember the existence of the non-Go series.

17. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

The disorderly perspective and timeline are making it rather hard to enjoy this chapter.
    Update itself is decent but mostly because it has little to do with the situation at hand.

Indigo Paul is probably the least Paul-like of the living parallels. Even the poor sod with the slave ring is closer to the average.

18. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

That was an omake made by an user, and is thus non Canon.

Zoat said he has never watched a single episode, he saw the inferior art style in comparison to the previous version and has decided to consider it on the same level as the comics that do not exist. It's why the only comparable knowledge to the Teen Titans he has are the TITANS comics.

So Go doesn't exist even as a joke as far as the expanded universe of this fic is concerned.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  19. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

My headcanon is that Teen Titans Go is the same universe as Teen Titans, but from the point of view of a narrator on LSD.

hance1986 likes this.
  20. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

What a delightful idea!

Someguy Somewhere and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Threadmarks: Duplication (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

Waiting for a
    Better idea

The local version of Doctor Fate lowers his hands, the golden ankhs floating over them guttering out.

"As far as I can tell, he is exactly what he says that he is."

The woman nods. "And his contact with Nekron?"

"Nekron is not a being with whom I have any personal experience. Your Guardians would probably be better placed to give you advice on his presence."

"They're… Busy. I don't want to recall them unless it's essential. What can you tell me?"

"Nekron is a font of vast necromantic power. Given his age and nature, creating a power ring may well be something he can do. But without another example of Nekron's sorcery or.. actually having this Black Lantern feed on someone's heart, there is little more I can tell you."

"I am willing to demonstrate, if it will help."

She gives me a mild glare. "I authorised the use of lethal force in the line of duty, not for feeding super vampires."

"While my particular strand of vampirism may be different to local variants, I doubt that my abilities warrant describing me as 'super'. Also, I am not under your authority. If you provide me with a stellar map and avert your eyes-."

"No."

"Then perhaps you could ask for volunteers from amongst the criminals the governments of your world have sentenced to d-."

"We don’t actually want Nekron here."

"Neither do I. I was simply suggesting avenues of study. Though if a single heart could summon Nekron, I would have summoned him years ago."

"That isn't-." Her ring glows, and she holds it up. "Yes?"

A face appears.

"Commander. Whatever the Indigo Lantern did, it's defying my efforts to track."

"Sinestro, you were badly burned. You aren't cleared for active duty."

"I won't fight them head on until I'm fully recovered, but my mind was unaffected. I can direct an investigation perfectly well."

The woman considers that claim for a moment.

"Very well. Doctor Fate has confirmed the Black Lantern's claims as far as he can. I presume you wish to speak with him."

"Yes, I do."

The woman lowers her ring, and a full size Sinestro construct materialises next to her. Sinestro takes the opportunity to look me over.

"Your ring is powered by Nekron."

"I don't understand the precise mechanics. Nekron hasSomething to do with it. It may be that he powers it directly. Or it may be that an energy he finds it easy to manipulate powers it."

"What powers the others?"

"The first red rings-." I pause, frowning. "My knowledge of early Maltusian power ring experiments is incomplete. It is possible that they created one or more, but my red alter ego mentioned being given his by Atrocitus. Atrocitus is leader of a group-."

"One of the immortals from Sector Six Six Six."

"He sought revenge, and used the blood of the other four to create a Central Power Battery. His rings respond to rage and hate as green rings-. And yours, apparently, respond to a focused will." I pause. "Though these factors are not necessarily constant between parallel universes."

"He'd be a little late to take revenge here, in any case. Still." He looks at the woman. "I can task the Gold Lantern in that Sector to speak with our version, in case he has anything to share."

The woman nods. "Do it, but make sure they know to be polite. He hasn't recovered from what the Guardians did to him."

"Of course." Sinestro turns back to me. "How did it bypass my defensive constructs?"

"I'm afraid that I don't know. I only had the opportunity to speak with him briefly, and the precise mechanics of his ring were not discussed."

I can't read Sinestro's expression, but I wasn't particularly good at that even before I died.

"What of Indigo?"

"I'm not sure. They were speaking about recruiting him before the attack on their command post, but if they followed through on the idea it was after we were separated."

"What emotion does it use?"

"Compassion, though.. it may not be limited to just that. As I said, not all of what is learned in one parallel applies to all others."

"They believe that the Red Queen who emerged from the portal is the one they were working with to fight Krona. Instead, she's his agent." He snarls quietly. "To think that we're still doing a Guardian's bidding."

"I thought that they kicked Krona out."

"I don't trust their records on the subject. I think we should try contacting the Controllers again. Without a more accurate knowledge of Krona's actual behaviour, it's impossible for us to know how to proceed."

The woman looks at me.

"What do you want us to do?"

"I don't want things. I have no animus, no vital motivating force."

"Okay, what do you think we should do?"

"Telling me your name would be a start."

"I didn't-? Huh." She nods. "Commander Barbara Gordon of the Gold Lantern Corps."

"Next, I will need to know what happened to my colleagues."

"We don’t know. We received an alert from the Manhunter Red Queen informing us that Time Trapper was attempting to use one of Lex Luthor's old bases to build a device to rewrite the universe. Then it was.. erased, apparently taking Time Trapper with it. Sinestro went to confirm his death, then your two colleagues reappeared. Sinestro and his squad attempted to take them into custody. They fought them and they escaped. A little later was when we found your finger and power ring."

"Red Queen?"

"Since she was cooperating with our investigation we gave her near free rein. We tried to put her into more secure holding conditions once you contradicted her narrative, but she vanished."

"Your intent towards my colleagues?"

"We don't want another Crisis event. We barely survived the last one. If we can work together to stop whatever this is, then we will. If we can't, then we'll pump them for information and deal with it ourselves."

[​IMG]

"Would the simplest solution be to announce this publically, and offer them a secure way to contact me and confirm my continued existence? It seems to me that there's little benefit in secrecy, and my alter egos have no interest in aiding Krona."

"That…" She blinks, then looks away awkwardly. "Yes. It probably would."

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'Doctor Fate' not 'Doctor Fates'

Oh my god it is possible for other versions to have common sense.

This...changes things considerably. yes.

23. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Change "I'm" to "I".

Should that end with a question mark instead of a full stop?

Change "going" to "doing".

24. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

That appears to be a link from many IRL years ago (6 1/2), many in story episodes ago (96), and even many forums ago (2).

Saying it doesn't need a link in the here-and-now looks to be a violation of the Comprehensive Online Style Guide To Not Being A Dick, Revised 2020 Edition.

25. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Un, what?

I thought the Red Queen was a Jade alternate. Thus, human.

Korona send some Manhunters into the pocket dimension. To keep them from dissolving, they had Jades in their torsos or something, because [Insert Techno Babble Here]. When one was destroyed, the Jade inside was released and flew through the closing portal. Those Jades being Jades, would have still been human presumably.

So why is Red Queen being called a manhunter here?

Prince Charon, Wheenesss and Cuchulin like this.
  26. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I
    doing
    publicly

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Which is quite the clusterfuck of Undead templates. Seriously, what's his D&D Effective Character Level modifier, +20?:p

They have Guardians? What, Ganthet and his gal-pal Sayd?

Not something you want him to do, even if you have a suitable subject...

Ah, he's so po-facedly serious. Anyone else, that would be taken as sarcastic... Zaul? He's just stating an option.

Remind me, is Joker still kicking around, or has she had that oversight corrected?

And doesn't that statement just give you a creeping moment of horror?

Ah, I see their stealth is paying off...

After all, he doesn't need skin to think. Especially if his ring can dull the pain.

Why can I hear a grinding noise? And boy, Sinestro's jaw looks clenched, doesn't it?:D

Ah, trying to dance around the concept of an Emotional Spectrum, eh? Especially in a world that may not actually have one. Yet.

Joy of being an Illustres. Clearance for the really secret shit. Though I bet this Corps is less secretive about things.

...Please don't go giving him ideas...:confused:

It's only been, what, a couple of hours in-story since OL got nabbed? This is going to be a damn fast mini-Crisis...

In other words, Sinestro: He don't know shit.

Playing the 'channels all other colours' card close to your chest, eh?

And did they bother watching what he did after? The Maltusians aren't the most diligent of people outside of their personal interests....

Well, he's gone from sort-of prisoner to sort-of ally now, I see.

Yay for being overly literal. She's mentally facepalming right now, isn't she? Let's see if you can make her facepalm externally!:V

Been a busy few couple of hours, huh?

So not erased completely as in 'disintegrated', unless the Ring has some anti-entropic defenses. I'm betting they've been transported to Krona's lab...

<Facepalm> And you didn't keep her properly secured until you'd actually verified her story in the first place? You've faced a crisis before, you should know this off by heart!

Admittedly, a few hundred superheroes and a Lantern Corps might be somewhat more effective than a handful of temporally divergent copies of one man...

Holy Shit! A Paul outside of 'CS OL' actually put levelling points into the Common Sense tree? Good grief!

Amazing! Calm and rational must come easily when you don't have all those other emotional lights buzzing around your brain-meats... Looks like we might avoid another fight between Raul/Saul and the locals!

28. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

I just noticed the image is Black. I think it should be the new Black Lantern Symbol. No emotions to cloud their judgement, and everyone be like "I can believe the zombie has more brains than us."

29. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

That's a possessive Manhunter, not a descriptive Manhunter. As in, the Red Queen from a Manhunter, not the Red Queen who is a Manhunter.

30. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Why is that hard to believe? Zombies are always tracking down more brains.