1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Now I have an image of Paul having a romantic relationship with the Corinthian, the second one to be specific.

Let's face it Paul does seem to have a thing for people that aren't exactly good, or even all that emotionally mature and stable, and the second Corinthian, while not as bad as his predecessor, was still bad and did have issues...so ...maybe.

Also Paul can grow back his eyes with his ring, so Cori may be ecstatic that he can eat his boyfriends eyes as many times as he wants.

Wonder if there's a version of Paul that ended up in The Sandman universe and is working for the Endless.

2. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

You might want to recall the Sand of Sleep, that Dream carries in his pouch... I'm pretty sure that could recharge an Orange Ring, but... There might be down-sides. :)

Gilhelmi and Darko like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

What sort of downsides?

Gilhelmi likes this.
  4. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

So many possibilities... Picking one, OL might find that if he sleeps and dreams his ring might work to make those dreams come true, without him knowing it... Could be... messy. :)

Also, the Cake Giant wants to find OL, and hug him, and squeeze him, and call him 'George'. :)

(Bonus to the first character in WTR to call OL a 'wascally wabbit'. :) )

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Vorian, Darko and Gilhelmi like this.
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well he'd at least be able to give a name without resorting to using a business card or his rings AI voice.

Vorian likes this.
  6. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Mr Zoat I'm still on my reread and just got to the Konvikt storyline. What happened to Konvikt in the Renegade timeline? It doesn't seem like something that Grayven butterflied away.

Darko likes this.
  7. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

There is also the obvious problem...L-Ron is a robot that has privileged information regarding his boss, and the company. He's a Gold mine of info about where the proverbial bodies are buried and where all the loot is stored. His boss likely wouldn't enjoy the little fella's memory banks getting hacked. Too much money and rep to lose.

Ngamer11, Darko, Vorian and 1 other person like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Think he went to prison.

9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Unless I've already posted something to the contrary already, his transport took a different route and reached its destination. It's unlikely that he'll be putting in an appearance.

Bramble Thorn, Ardy, Ngamer11 and 3 others like this.
  10. Threadmarks: Plutonian (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

12th April
    11:23 GMT

"Have you located the Russian ships?"

Scans… Can't get through the ClusterShip's hull. I try looking, but I can't see-. See anything other than Lord-Lantern Comic King slamming the fists of a giant construct avatar of himself into his ship's shields.

"No, but-" I look at Dr Balewa. "-I imagine that the spell revealed them as well?"

"That is correct. If Orange Lantern cannot detect them, then they are still inside."

"Can you detect it?"

"So far from a living world? No. There is no power to draw upon, no arcane world to shape. Whoever is doing this, they will exhaust themselves before long."

"Orange Lantern, investigate the situation. I will send Blue Lantern and Captain Atom after you. Doctor Mist, return to Earth and continue your investigation. We need to know if anyone else has been subverted or if any of whatever group this was remain on Earth."

"Understood." Dr Mist and I flash back down to Earth, then I transition back to Koriand'r. "Lantern Koriand'r and I will take a look."

"Very well. Report what you see as you see it."

I don my armour and check that Koriand'r has done the same, then warp us both to the general vicinity of Pluto, far enough away that it's barely visible to the unaided eye, and turn up the power on my empathic vision. It just… Slides off. Whatever whoever is doing this is doing, they're either very clever or very powerful.

I wince as Comic King finally batters his way through the shield covering the main docking bay and flies on board. That didn't cause the wards to fail so it's not a simple threshold effect.

"Manga Khan has entered the ClusterShip. Pursuing."

I fly at speed, mindful not to outrace Koriand'r. The ClusterShip's guns aren't even trying to track me, and the shield emitters are visibly wrecked around the docking sphere. Its main reactors are non-volatile -if only to cut down on costs- so I'm not worried about the ship itself being a trap. Being an explosive trap anyway; we'll still need to detain everyone we encounter in case they've been subverted.

"Ship not reacting to attack. Will attempt to ascertain status of crew."

We fly towards the docking bay, and I see that Comic King battered his way through the docking hatch as well as the defence shield. The atmosphere shield engages according to emergency protocols and only a little air is vented, but I imagine that the sudden unobstructed view of space would have been pretty disturbing for human cosmonauts. I fly inside, the shield rippling as I pass through it and get a clear view of the Russian ships. They're still safely where they landed, though I can't see any of the crew. I can't see any damage either, at least not on the outside.

I try a scan, but… Something's futzing with-

"L-RON!"

-it. Shouldn’t go anywhere alone, but I also don't want to leave Comic King in avarice-crazed rampage mode.

"Lord-Lantern Manga Khan, desist. That is an order."

"I HOLD THESE TRUTHS TO BE SELF-EVIDENT;-"

Ah. He's lost all reason.

"-THAT ALL BEINGS ARE CREATED-"

Sad when that happens. I extend my left hand in his direction and feel for the bundle of neurotic obsession that is the tangle of his current mentations.

End.

"-with…" He stops and looks around. "AH! I have found the ClusterShip!"

"Yes, well done. Lantern Koriand'r, we're going to check-."

"ClusterShip! Acknowledge-"

I create a soundproof bubble around us.

"-the return of your lord and master! And tell L-Ron where I am!"

"Lantern Khan, if-"

"Lord and Manga."

"-someone took this ship then they've almost certainly subverted the computer systems, and on the off-chance that they aren't using the internal monitoring and somehow missed you battering a hole in their shields I'd rather not draw their attention."

"My shields."

"I'm sorry?"

"My shields. This ClusterShip is the property of ClusterCorp, and as the ranking ClusterCorp official that makes it mine. I'll expense the shields to myself."

"We're going to check the Russian ships, and then we'll check on your crew. Do you understand?"

"Of course."

I fly towards the-

"The Russians aren't covered by my insurance."

-closest Russian ship. The design is completely standard and… It's a mixture of shuttle, submarine and 'actual' starship. Enough internal space that the crew could stay inside for months, but without the surfeit of internal space that a space station could afford. The main hatch is open, and they don't appear to have had a defence shield. I try scanning the interior, but I can't even scan the bit I can see.

I know a magic that can achieve that. I wear it on my skin. And I'm sure that Sephtian documented it, so the knowledge is out there. Most individuals can't use it for long due to having pre-existing souls, but an active magic user could keep something like it going if it were bound to a device.

"Koriand'r, cover me. Khan, don't do anything stupid."

"How would I tell?"

I step inside the ship. No blood, which is generally a good sign. Manual construct probes reveal… No phasing residue yet, though manually probing the entire ship will take a little while. Biological residue… A few skin cells and hairs from the crew that the air filters haven't caught yet.

Other than Star Conquerors, who could this be?

The demon genomorphs are perfectly capable of making new variants of themselves, with new forms of magic and… Greater intelligence. But what could they want that's on Pluto? Or am I making the unwarranted assumption that this is where they actually wanted to go? No, no, if they could suborn Russian military personnel then they could certainly do the same to the ClusterShip's bridge crew. Dr Balewa took a look at the g-oni corpses we had in storage, but I'm not sure that seeing their corpses gives him enough information to work from.

No one here. Construct probes aren't showing anything not on the technical specifications.

Since this is Pluto, I'm pretty sure that rules out martians. We're far too far away from other people out here. Unless they just wanted the ClusterShip's population to ease their telepathic discomfort and they're actually here for something else? I'm not sure if news of Dr Balewa's abilities has reached Mars yet; it's quite possible that they didn't think we had anyone who could get through their spell baffles.

The ship's bridge looks orderly. There should have been a couple of cosmonauts left in here while the diplomatic party went to greet the ClusterCorp representatives, but there's no one here. No sign of struggle… I attach a filament to the ship's computer to get a copy of the logs, then leave to check the rest of the ship.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Koriand'r

Forgot threadmark

12. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Lord and Manga

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'Whatever or whoever is doing this is either'

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'they've'

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'in avarice'

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'TRUTHS'

17. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Got the names messed up here.

Prince Charon likes this.
  18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Darko, please. Edit your first post, not multiple posts! Even on a midget computer, you can surely manage that? :confused:

19. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

Aww, what's wrong, OL? Don't like it when someone else is being a pedant?

:D

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, I put it there, but the site ate it.
    Actually, no. While the phrasing is clunky, the sentence is accurate.
    Thank you, corrected.

21. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Come to think of it, it's pretty weird how magic isn't a universally permeating force and needs dense clusters of life, but that the lights of emotion are seemingly everywhere.

Does this imply magic is...unstable in some way? A life-energy isotope so to speak?

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't know how to put a new quote in a sentence after I already posted that sentence. If you know then I'd appreciate you telling me.

Zoat is it possible for us to see a version of the SI that ended up in the YJ universe, but years before the start of the series, like say when the League was formed, like a decade before the Team was formed, or just a few years before canon?

It would be interesting to see the SI be a member of the League and how he interacts with them, as well as what butterflies he sets off with his presence, like maybe getting Luthor to adopt a more sensible method of doing things before he goes full on super villain.

23. Chojin Patriarch

Well, to make it easier: when you select text for a correction, there's a little option that pops up for '+Quote | Reply'. If you click '+Quote', it adds it to a buffer you can use for an actual reply afterwards.
    To use that buffer, a button pops up under the Reply box: 'Insert quotes'. Click that, add the quotes you want, and format as desired. It makes it much easier to post corrections.
    As for the multiple posts: cut the text from each and edit it back into the first reply, then you can select the 'Delete' option, next to Edit to get rid of them.
    :oops:Sorry for yelling at you, but some people get upset by multiple posts like that...

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Thanks for the advice.

Got a bit excited to post the mistakes and corrections before reading the whole text in case I forgot some of them.

25. Chojin Patriarch

Going for the subtle approach, I see. Take advantage of Manga Khan's distraction.

The question remains: What of their crews.

Unless they have a connection to some universal Thaumic energy source...

The joy of Lanterns - being first responders to long-distance situations.

Or worse: both. Either way, this does not bode well.

Keeping a running commentary for those on Earth, I take it.

So far it's not looking good. This is turning into a Mary Celeste scenario. Or the Demeter (from Bram Stoker's Dracula.) Let's hope the vampire on board is sleeping it off.

Well, one more bit of good news. At least they survived the trip. But again, what of the crews...

Might need to handle that first, yes. Much more and he'll go all Larfleeze on you.

While I know it's a spelling error, I just find it so likely that he's mispronouncing it in rage.

Is he just randomly shouting stuff, because it's highly unlikely he's read the American Constitution. Unless ClusterCorp's personnel manual starts the same way.

And a very good thing you have that little bit of Orange Light Mastery unlocked. Getting caught in a fight with a nominal ally is kind of embarrassing.

First thing the attackers would have done is subvert the systems. That's just going to add to the trouble on its way.

I think everyone on board knows where you are, big guy.

Somehow, I don't think Manga Khan's in much of a mood for the voice of reason. Unless it's L-Ron's.

Really? You're doing this now?

...I can't help but think his logic has a hole somewhere. Or two...

Well, good to see he's being reasona-...

:rolleyes: ...Son of a fart.

So, none too roomy, but not uncomfortably tight quarters. And not much in the way of places to hide.

Crud. So, there's something around here that's acting like OL's Scry-ward tattoos, covering the whole ship? That's bad.

If that was Manga Khan talking, he's in quite the snippy mood now, isn't he?

This is getting creepier and creepier.

Could it have been an accident that they ended up here? Like putting a car in the wrong gear and going backwards when you wanted to go forwards?

And again, what could anyone want out here? That Star Conqueror warship Vearmina mentioned yesterday?

Not that the logs would show much. Unless someone was keeping a vocal recording as things happened, it's likely to be flight data more than anything. And unlike survival horror games, people usually don't keep running commentaries during perilous events they're in the middle of.

Seriously, you'd think someone would have responded to Manga Khan kicking the door in. This is shaping up to be a twisted knot of danger...

...Koriand'r has done the same...
    Extra space.
    Perhaps: ...seeing their corpses gives him...

26. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I honestly smart response, what do you know.

27. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Well, OL has quickly forgotten to do what Batman asked him to do. There's no way that can possibly backfire, is there??? ;)

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well he may have some self awareness after all.

Not a lot, but some.

29. Mr Zoat

The SI's start would be more or less the same. Alan's been retired for a while. If Diana was still on Themyscira then Alan would either have to visit her, or... Maybe ask Jay to ask Barry to tutor him.

Remember: the initial Justice League line-up was selected by the Appellaxians. The only way for the SI to be a founding Justice League member would be if he was known as a warrior so that they targetted him.

Luthor is the main variable. The SI could achieve some very interesting things with him.
    Thank you, corrected.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The SI doesn't need to be a founding member, just showed up after it's founding, but several years before the founding of the Team.

If he comes before the League was formed, say several months before, then he could create a reputation for himself and the Appellaxians decide to target him and that could be a way for him to be a founder.

If you decide to do a version of him like this in the future, then good luck.

Would be interesting to see how the League is shaped if he's a member of it from an early stage.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Prince Charon and Xmaster3000 like this.