1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. inglorius

inglorius Getting sticky.

"activates"?
    There was a lot of mistakes around orange girl, is she that distracting?

infinityDivided, Ardy, Darko and 3 others like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Um, no.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't worry, none of us are judging you if you got distracted when you were writing about her.

She can be a rather... distracting figure when you're thinking about her, just ask Detective Montoya, those hooligans in Gotham that she was reprimanding, and basically anyone that is even remotely interested in women, and a few that probably aren't.

Prince Charon and Vorian like this.
  4. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

Well, it could just be a 'closest equivalent to English' translation going on, much like his designated title. Since he got cured/fixed before we saw the end of what he was saying it's unknown if he was actually quoting the DoI intentionally or not.

Though the fact that he came so close to doing so had me thinking for a moment or three that the Starro angle might be a decoy (in-story or out); this was actually done by a secret cabal of super-nationalistic/McCarthy-era American wizards who are upset one way or another that there were Russian spaceships flying about.

Chojin Patriarch, Ardy and Darko like this.
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Someone said that it may be Uncle Sam who is responsible for this.

nick012000 and Ardy like this.
  6. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

Ha!

Darko likes this.
  7. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Hi Mr Zoat. Here are a few more corrections.

8. LostPath

LostPath Getting out there.

Damn Protheans stealing muh ships!

Darko likes this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And if they come to Earth then they're going to steal our jobs!

That redneck from South Park was right!

Handlewithcare and Cuchulin like this.
  10. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Is... is he becoming self-aware?

Ardy, Prince Charon, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  11. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

Right? That actually reminds me of a question I came across recently which was "what does it feel like to be wrong?" And while the obvious answer is something along the lines of "bad" the correct answer is that it feels just like being right. So yeah, I'm actually rather impressed.

Ardy, Prince Charon, Vorian and 4 others like this.
  12. Mr Zoat

It's not you. It's me I hate.
    [​IMG]

13. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Zoat made magic come from the Dreaming.

Why that leads to magic not working in outer space when the domains of the Endless extend to planets and stars, comets, meteors, black holes, and nebulae, I remain unsure of.

In Vertigo, it was claimed that Earth has life because Dream inspired Earth by giving the planet the dream of containing life, I understand.

Handlewithcare, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The metaphysics of the comics may not count in this story.

Also I think its more like magic is more easier to use on a planet, especially one with people on it, because those people have shaped it through the Dreaming, while in space, where there are no people, it would be virtually impossible.

Magic may exist in deep space, but it may be so thin and alien that it's impossible to make use of.

Just because the domains of the Endless extend to space, that doesn't mean mortals will be able to use magic in space. There is an entire universe of difference between a mortal and something like the Endless.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  15. Jacen

Jacen I am of no consequence.

Are the lights of emotion everywhere? Remember that lanterns carry batteries and charged rings that let them use it.

Many different fictional sources use the idea that magic doesn’t work unless it’s in some kind of mana rich environment. I imagine that if a caster was able to bottle magical energy in the same way a lantern has one of the emotions that they would be quite capable anywhere they went.

16. Threadmarks: Plutonian (part 14)
    Mr Zoat

12th April
    11:32 GMT

"Russian ships clear. No crew on board, some signs of phasing. Lantern Khan assures me that while they could build phasing equipment with what's on board the ClusterShip, they didn't have anything already constructed."

My ears metaphorically twitch as I fail to hear Comic King correcting me about his name. I look around to see him accessing the docking bay's internal monitoring computer.

"We're about to proceed further into the ClusterShip."

Batman nods. "Has there been any reaction from the crew, or the automated systems?"

"No. No one has tried to get in here, and no one has tried to repair the damage Khan did getting in. He said that repair robots should have gotten to work almost immediately."

"Is there anyone onboard?"

"I don't know. Our scans and my empathic sense are still being blocked. We can examine the ClusterShip more forcefully if you think it best. I was holding off in case we triggered a response."

"Blue Lantern and Captain Atom will be with you in a few seconds. Your primary objective is to locate and recover any survivors. Your secondary objectives are to identify the thief or thieves and find out what they were planning."

I nod. "Who has local command?"

Because despite my rank-

"Captain Atom."

-in the Orange Lantern Corps and the fact that three out of five of the people who are going to be here are Orange Lanterns, and despite the fact that we can get a response from base instantly instead of in nine hours, as far as Earth is concerned I'm a glorified sidekick while Captain Atom is a veteran Justice League member.

"Underst-"

There's a flash as Alan and Major Adams appear just outside the docking bay and immediately head our way.

"-ood."

"Batman out."

I lower my left hand.

"Lantern Koriand'r, you remember what I said about some humans having a second name for professional purposes?"

"Yes." She nods, smiling. "I find it adds an element of fantastical whimsy to the tales of their heroism."

Alan and Adams land, Adams taking a careful look at the weapon hardpoints while Alan just gives us a smile and a wave.

"Captain Atom." He gives me his full attention. "You're in charge." He gives a small nod. "Where are we going next?"

"Lantern Khan?"

"Lord and Manga." He flies away from the computer console and lands next to us. "The records are scrambled. L-Ron.. might be able to reassemble them."

Adams frowns. "You couldn't reassemble them with a power ring?"

"Mmmphgh. Upon occasion-."

"You really designed your docking bay computer records to resist power ring scans because you were worried about a Sector Lantern catching you smuggling?"

"Some customs laws are very broad. And for all we know it could be the same thing that's stopping us scanning the ship."

That's a halfway reasonable point. And Sol has no extraplanetary customs laws anyway.

I look at Adams with my eyebrows raised.

"Then I guess we're going on. Orange L-."

His face stills as he considers the obvious identification problem. I guess he's only ever worked with one Green Lantern at a time.

"Try 'Illustres'."

Another small nod. "Illustres, you're on point. Lantern Khan, you know where the closest crew shelter point is?"

"General Crew or Executive? Because the General Crew point is more of a muster point."

"Anyplace you think someone might have sought shelter. This is a rescue mission first."

We four Lanterns nod.

"Call out contacts as you find them." He floats back a little to give me space.

I look at the interior cargo doors. This is mostly a cargo docking bay, so they're pretty large. But since we can all fly I float up above them, generate a large crumbler construct and smash it forwards. A chunk of bulkhead and armoured shutter is erased, and I fly through the newly formed gap-

"We're insured for Act of Lantern. Colour isn't specified."

-and into… The cargo depot.

"In fact, if you want to smash some more things…"

No one… No one…

I send out construct eyes to look at everything and float forward to make myself as tempting a target as possible. Not like this ship's internal weapons are a threat to me.

No, no one and nothing.

"Lantern Khan, where to?"

"The executive transport system is over on the right. That will take us to the Executive Section."

I see it.

"Captain?"

"It's as good a place to start as any."

Maintaining my constructs, I float in the direction indicated. There's a-. Hah! A lift in the docking bay which takes executives to an overpass with transparent sides so that they can look down on the proles toiling beneath them. It still goes to a part of the ClusterShip which is just as easily accessible from the cargo depot…

I crumble my way through the wall and-.

Some of the synthetic potted plants which decorate the place wave in a faint breeze. Another hull breach? Air's moving, but the air purification system they use doesn't make a breeze-.

I attach construct tethers to the floor and walls-.

The hull's vibrating.

The ClusterShip doesn't have chemical thrusters. It would come apart if it used a system that primitive.

"Captain, I believe that we need to get back outside. Now."

He nods.

"Everyone: pull out."

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

just 'further into' not 'into further into'

maybe 'some humans'

'think' not 'thing'

18. Z3r0Sama

Z3r0Sama Not too sore, are you?

At this point, Paul should really take a leaf out of Gravys book and start doing his own thing. Still being a tag along for the JL is just ridiculous.

19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Ah, ah, ah, no crew means that under international law they aren't Russian ships any longer.

And that means, that legally speaking the US now possess salvage rights to the formerly Russian space craft.

20. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

Not necessarily, salvage rights are kind of messed up with regard for ships.

You could locate and claim the rights for a complete wreck, and you'll likely not get much if anything from it legally.

DiceArt, PurpLexed, Navi-Hank and 3 others like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not sure that space ships were covered under international law.

The fact that Russia may go to war for those ships would also put a plug on the attempt at taking them.

Adams is also the only one that works for the US and even he may not try to claim them, as while he may have more faith in the military and the US government than the other members of the League, said faith may have been tempered after the whole Eiling thing with the betrayal.

Also he's smart enough to know that a war could happen if he tried that shit.

The charter the League has with the UN may also cover something like this so that the tech is shared with all.

DiceArt, Cuchulin, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  22. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

I'm pretty sure there are already salvage laws concerning space craft and other man made things in space.

Navi-Hank, Lupercal and Darko like this.
  23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You would be right, if Russia was still a part of the Outer Space Treaty, but they they very specifically withdrew from that.

As to causing a War, he's smart enough to know that's unavoidable now that Russia withdrew from the OST.

See, interesting fact, without the legal protections of the OST, sovereign airspace comes into effect in concerns to orbits.

zerofarad, Cuchulin and Gazing Eye like this.
  24. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

But his info is a little behind the times. Who's to say what's been going on aboard-ships in the time it's been absent (less than six hours at this point?)

Ah, Manga Khan. :rolleyes: Never underestimate an Orange Lantern's ability to ignore what they don't want to hear...

Itself a significant fact. It appears the ship's systems are completely off-line, then.

Like, say, self-destruct charges planted by whoever was responsible. Because they've no doubt wired it to blow.

Please be Alan, please be Alan...

<facepalm> Seniority at work. Even though Alan has twenty-odd years of hero experience on Major Adams.

Looks like Alan is getting the hang of the now-standard techniques for Lanterns. Good to see him back in the saddle.

Now that the REMFs have bowed out... Let's get serious.

I'm sure it's a fascinating concept to her. Tamaraneans would never think to conceal their identity that way, would they? :p

I doubt he feels relieved, Especially since Adams has minimal experience in this situation. I suppose his military training might useful.

Yep, someone did a number on them. A crew member trying to protect company secrets, or the ones who hijacked the ship covering their tracks, though?

I bet that makes it awkward for him. No wonder he wasn't using his ring much last episode.

Not yet. One more thing for the UN's docket concerning off-world stuff.

Which Orange Lantern would that be, Captain? :D

I suspect the League tend to be more casual about the Greenies' identities, at least when no-one who doesn't know them is listening.

So far, it's not looking good on that front, Adams.

I see he recognises that OL knows what he's doing. Sign of a decent leader there. Presumably, he's also holding the only known egress point.

Ah, I bet it won't take long for their insurance company to close that loophole. Probably with an additional surcharge for each additional colour other than Green.

They're not going to assist you in committing insurance fraud, Manga Khan... But, hey, if the ship does happen to be boobytrapped...

Confident, isn't he? Though I suspect actual anti-lantern weapons have treaties limiting their use...

Ah, the nobility gets to avoid having to hobnob with the peons, eh?

He really has no plan, does he?

Careful, careful...

:confused: Oh, that's not good...

Oh hey, it is boobytrapped...

And they spend the next five minutes waiting for something to happen. Or the ship explodes!

Hopefully, the vibrations aren't anything major. Surprised OL didn't subspace or otherwise move the Russian ships out of caution (though there's always tomorrow.) I'm sure the Russians will want them back in as intact a shape as they can be...

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Firstly, I think that Zoat mentioned they still haven't withdrawn from the treaty and were just planning on doing it and encouraging others to do it.

Withdrawing from the treaty would not cause a war to break out, especially since even if the Russians withdrew from it before they sent those ships they didn't exactly break any of its rules, like no WMD on them, or claiming space as your own sovereign territory, all they wanted was to establish contact with the Cluster ship, which is a peaceful thing to do and allowed under the treaty.

The various countries of the Earth really have no justification for starting a war with Russia, and why would they want to considering that Russia is one of the most powerful countries on the planet. The most many could hope for is that Russia starts an exchange program where they can share tech.

Yes the US has many superheroes and metas, but Russia has large armies, as well as advanced tech like the Rocker Red suits.

Americas metahuman development program may not be as advanced in the paragon timeline as it's advanced in the renegade timeline because they've developed a reliance on the League for these sorts of things and see no further need to advance.

Navi-Hank, Lupercal and SemiAnarchist like this.
  26. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

It would be really rather dumb to start asserting independent authority in the middle of an operation.

Afterwards? I mean, yes, Batman and many of the other members of the Justice League (Lanterns Jordan and Stewart especially, but also the Hawks) are showing a remarkable amount of bias against Paul, given his power and proven track record of suggesting and implementing necessary reforms, both within the Justice League and without. If Paul wanted to make a point of it, he could probably get a number of League members to take his side if he attempted to make an issue of it, but maybe not, given that Paul himself has done rather little to soften his sometimes abrasive personality with anyone other than Wonder Woman.

The thing is, Paul himself has been mostly treading water since he came back from Vega, and it really shows. He's pulled back from trying to advance Earth's tech level, has mostly coasted along with few big moves in the past year on terms of making Atlantean magitech more widely available, and punted the issue of determining why Earth isn't advancing on its own over to Georgia Sivana months ago with no follow-up. In general he's downshifted into being the same sort of reactive personality that he had spent his first year lambasting the various members of the League for being; at this point, why should the League treat him as anything other than another random masked face-puncher, one with less than two years of experience under his belt?

Vaermina, Cuchulin, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The only GL that may be biased against Paul is Hal, the others are either on friendly or neutral terms with him.

He most likely doesn't feel it's necessary for him to get involved in every single technological advancement now that he's actually started a technological revolution. He wants other people to take initiative in advancing the planet and not depend on just one guy for it.

Giving the task to Georgia was also a smart thing considering she is a brilliant social scientist and he may still be communicating with her about it, albeit offscreen, but either she still hasn't found anything, or is focusing on the Sheeda problem right now and is going to do his project after they've been dealt with.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Navi-Hank and 6 others like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I think the game's writers assumed that at this point the PC would have either been promoted, gone independent or gone villain and just rushed the 'stay with the team' plotting.
    No he hasn't. He's been doing the same things, though perhaps this is my fault for not continuing to bring up examples other than Venturia.

29. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

You can force the company/nation who owns it to pay you for the salvage costs, IIRC.

This is more likely to be relevant with Manga Khan's ship.

Navi-Hank and Xmaster3000 like this.
  30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Well, right now his involvement is forcing everyone on earth to face the huge, gaping holes in their legislature regarding the reality of alien life.

That's a pretty massive political shift.

I'd call that progress.

(Also, Eris is probably jacking off over this)

Ardy, Navi-Hank, Lupercal and 2 others like this.