1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Interesting theory about that multiversal Paul fight.

After seeing Tangseid and now this whole multiversal traveling thing I can see something like that happening.

Kori may only wield the blue ring if she gets one, since dual wielding two different colored power rings isn't exactly all that easy and it may lead to trouble in mastering either ring.

Paul may also be hesitant in making a Red Ring due to the extreme rage they provoke in their wielders. He can at least control orange rings to stop their wielders.

One of the reasons Zoat is writing all these alternates is to show us what the SI would have done under different circumstances, and Peter is to show us how he would have been like if he lacked a ring charge and used his money to improve the world.

The reason Peter didn't seek out Static to give his ring a charge could be because he doesn't remember him and that he can charge rings.

The Static show seemed to be set in the JL animated universe, and the versions lose knowledge of the specific universe they are in.

Even if that wasn't the case, Peter was sent several years before Static began so he could have forgotten about him and the ring charging thing, and that's assuming he watched Static in the first place.

He may also not want a fully charged ring due to the risks.

Paul told Knight that anyone can learn magic, yes, but that could mean that anyone from Earth 16 could do it, and not say a giant eldritch thing like Zion.

Paul also said something that Constantine said, and that's not exactly a guarantee.

Dr Mist said that a Martian may have trouble adapting to Earth's magic system.

Paul also couldn't learn to do magic until he got a soul.

So no, claiming that someone can't figure out how to do magic doesn't really go against the magic system Zoat set up in his story.

There are many, many universes where in order to use magic you typically have to be born with it, and no amount of training is going to let you use it if you weren't born with it.

And there are universe, like Paul's original, where magic doesn't exist. Zion and his kind could have come from one such universe.

There actually are some differences between MLP magic and Earth 16 magic, as I think I remember Sunset mentioning that magic from her world is more 'orderly' because of the whole friendship magic thing. So there are some differences.

It's possible that LP just couldn't stand the civilization on Earth Bet and decided to fix it in his own way.

Other universes may be prettier, but they probably don't require fixing.

Ngamer11, Cuchulin and Gilhelmi like this.
  2. Lurking Shade

Lurking Shade Versed in the lewd.

27.2 has Number Man estimate that in 14 years, the max time for Scion going off according to Dinahs precog, theyd have anywhere between 53% to 2% of the available forces they had when Jack set him off so considered it happening when it did a best case scenario.

Jaron, WhiteNoise and Cuchulin like this.
  3. Information era

Information era Getting sticky.

That still leads to the problem that unless LP is massively more powerful than the combined justice league, he is doing much more harm than good all because he is jumping into it without taking more than 5 seconds to research what the problem actually is.

Ah, thank you rani.

Jaron and Vaermina like this.
  4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

We are focusing on Scion.

But there's another problem, the Third Entity.

That thing is still around the local cluster somewhere, and if LP starts throwing around unknown high energy reactions, it very well might come and investigate.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

Oh, Paul would outright refuse to get her a Red Ring. I was imagining Atrocitus getting involved at some point........

ALL HAIL ERIS!

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  6. Information era

Does anyone have anything to say about the really off characterization of LP? Killing when he doesn't need to, jumping into a situation without doing research, etc? Does anyone have a counterpoint or does this stand?

Jaron and Vaermina like this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

How is he supposed to figure out that there is a apocalypse coming to this world by a giant eldritch alien when that most likely isn't in any database?

And no, somehow being able to see where the powers come from doesn't indicate that there is a eldritch monster trying to destroy everything.

It may indicate that there is a monster, but not that it is trying to kill them

We didn't really get much characterization on him aside from the fact that he can be brutal, but fair, when punishing criminals.

We know he can still love people even if he's more reserved that the other Paul's.

That's about it.

Atrocitus may appear around year 6, at leas that's what it says on the TV Tropes trivia page

Cuchulin and Gilhelmi like this.
  8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

To be fair Paul's biggest problem has always been his Pride.

So it's pretty easy to imagine how, with a Power Ring and nothing around to check him, that Pride could lead to the giant God Complex we see with the Lord Protector.

Jaron and Cuchulin like this.
  9. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I can understand that in part, but there is just a lack of forethought I think shown in LP's approach here. Near as everyone he's encountered thus far, he's a brand new player in the game, and his introduction is cold brutal murder, yes of people that might have had it coming, but even his own study shows significant gaps in information and judgment. He knows very little about anyone he's killed, he has a basic understanding of the power structures in place but not enough to recognize key players without ring reference.

There doesn't seem to have been a build up, a strategic or tactical plan set in motion, no moves to get local allies or resources. Very much out of character for all the other SI's we've seen thus far.

As Paragon mentioned during his first trip to to see the Controllers, "Start as you mean to go on"

LP is starting his visit to this earth with a spree killing, and by every indication intends to go on.

Despite having access to the data Paragon gave on weapons (he calls out the cold gun) which likely had less lethal options, or even more basic lantern attacks that don't use bloody ANTI MATTER in a civilian area.

I've got no issue with the character killing targets quickly and effectively when called for...but few of these targets are actually a threat to him....he could have dropped them on a preconstructed robot operated prison on the moon a touch of effort and foresight. Study of their powers would have been something that Grayven or OL would have jumped on as part of the tech revolution they depend on.

Unless there is an objective in killing quickly and cleanly beyond the obvious, I think LP is a lot closer to his statement of 'delusions of utility' comment then I think we're giving credit for.

Jaron, Cuchulin and Doccer like this.
  10. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

"I had been under the impression that superhumans were prohibited from holding positions of authority in the Parahuman Response Team. Does that just apply to directors?"

I've reread that passage and while it can be taken that way Mr Zoat could have meant that only Directors can't be parahumans but employees under the director could be?

11. Lurking Shade

Lurking Shade Versed in the lewd.

Not quite. Sint have time to quote it like the last bit since its late at night but iirc Abaddon was heading in a different direction.

The real problem is the Simurgh wants to salvage the Cycle for another Entity to pick up, while only killing Scion without totally wiping the Shards leads to them individually trying to abort the Cycle and blow the planet to reform eventually.

Without tearing open portals thatll probably be delayed a lot.

Jaron, Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's bit arrogant at worst, he doesn't exactly have a god complex.

He may not want to waste resources on criminals that have broken the law multiple times.

He did come from a place that lacked those initially and it probably influenced his mentality.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Doccer like this.
  13. Information era

In the thundercats universe, LP spelled out that he was brutal because of necessity. He didn't have a fast way to charge his power ring and his encampment did not have anywhere near the resources it needed. But now, he is being brutal even when he could capture and hand off to prisons.

Jaron, Cuchulin and Someguy Somewhere like this.
  14. Threadmarks: A Week in the Life of (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

12th April
    15:48 GMT -6

"Oh?" Alan smiles at Lantern Koriand'r. "I hadn't realise you spoke English."

"Yes!" Koriand'r is.. just about keeping herself from jumping up and down in excitement. Which is probably just as well, because her top doesn't look very supportive and Alan's not a young man. "Tamaraneans can learn languages by touching people!"

"Ah." Alan frowns in puzzlement. "How does that work?"

"I have no idea!"

Alan raises an eyebrow in my direction, but I just shake my head as well.

"My best guess is that it's a modification the psions made to X'Hal so that they wouldn't have to learn her language, but I've got no idea how it operates."

I've got Lantern Koriand'r's ring in my pocket, along with former Lantern Comic King's. I suppose that instead of keeping it to issue to someone else I could just give it to Koriand'r to extend her battery life-. No, no, Komand'r would hate that, and the two of them are cooperating reasonably well at the moment.

"Guess we.. might as well get started."

Alan gently removes his ring from his middle left finger and hesitantly holds it out to her.

"Now, be careful. I know-"

Koriand'r doesn't grab it, but I can see the effort it's taking.

"-that you're used to using an orange ring, but from what I can tell it's a whole lot less… Direct, I guess."

He takes a breath. Understandable, really. I think this is the first time he'll have been without it on since I gave it to him. And while he might accept death as an old man, I imagine that having your vitality renewed encourages a person to reconsider the matter.

"But flying's pretty intuitive, so-" He offers her his ring. "-if you wanna take it for a spin, go right ahea-"

Koriand'r plucks it from his hand and slides it onto her left ring finger, a wave of blue flowing over her outfit and replacing the orange sigil with a blue one.

"-d."

Koriand'r beams excitedly as she floats into the air.

Alan nods. "You seem to be getting the hang of-"

Koriand'r turns her head towards the western horizon and then she's gone.

"-things…" Alan turns to the west and watches the glowing trail. "Is she coming back?"

"Yes, but I suppose that answers the question of which colour suits her best."

"You sure you can't get her another blue ring?"

"Sure? No. I'll definitely be asking Kalmin about it after we're finished, but…" Hm. "You know that Lanterns are perfectly capable of making new-"

He's shaking his head.

"-rings, right?"

"I don't… Can Gardner do that?"

"I… Don't know, actually. I haven't asked."

"He doesn't seem like the sort of fellow who'd be slow to tell you if he'd learned to do something he thinks you can't do." He frowns slightly. "You can't, right?"

"I haven't yet. I probably can. But… I can get as many orange power rings as I want, and I can't make a new ring without already having a ring. Making a lantern is useful because I can do it when I have some charge but don't have access to my personal lantern, which is.. why I learned to make one."

"So you can't coach me."

I shrug. "Sorry."

"Oh, no. It could be an interesting change of pace. You know, back in the forties, Ted asked me how my ring worked. I guess he thought I made it myself."

I frown. "Ted Grant, or-."

Alan shakes his head. "No, no, Knight. I let him run a few tests, but we didn't really learn anything." He shakes his head. "After that, I just figured it was beyond human science."

"And now?"

"I'm only just getting back into this whole thing. Kinda awkward asking Diana to explain how the League's computer equipment works."

"Why?"

"When she first came to the US, Jay and I ended up showing her how a whole lot of things worked. She's nice about it, but I can tell she's enjoying the role reversal."

"I thought that was Major Trevor's job?"

"He was her official… Liaison, but I think half the reason for that was because the army didn't know if everyone else on Themyscira was as strong as her so they wanted to be a bit careful. He sure couldn't go with her on missions or train with her or anything." He looks away for a moment. "Hah!"

"What?"

"Oh, I just remembered the first time Hank had a practice bout with her. He got his-" Alan points to his right forearm. "-arm bent in half. Diana was horrified because she didn't know it was a prosthetic."

"Was he alright?"

"Oh, he made a joke out of it! Got hold of a regular uniform and started pranking some of the…" He glances down, his smile fading slightly. "Some of the kids. Pretending it was his real arm."

Yeah. The thing about hitting ninety is that a good few of 'the kids' have probably predeceased you.

"Oh, hey, are you alright about the big.. starfish thing? Guy said he was going to talk to you…"

"I'm not shy about killing people who deserve it. But I'd rather not kill people when there's a reasonable alternative, and I really don’t want to kill someone-. Something that doesn't deserve it." I shake my head. "With the Star Conquerors, I've seen their records. I know what they do and how dangerous they are. But the Mother Star didn't even seem that hostile. I can't reconcile the desires I saw with their recorded behaviour, and that… That makes me uncomfortable that it died on my mission."

"So what did it want?"

"In the short term it wanted dreams to feed on. Or.. possibly watch or experience. I'm not sure. I mean, it was capable of complex behaviour… I don't even really know why the Star Hunters were digging it out. And I don't really think that the Green Lantern Corps is going to continue with an investigation."

"So? You want to go to Oa and talk to them about that?"

"No. It's not worth it just because I'd like a 'clean' ending. If we follow up with-."

A beaming Lantern Koriand'r appears, carrying three large teddy bears and a bicycle.

"I like this ring very much!"

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Prisons that they've escaped from.

He may also not consider it important to hand off multiple offenders to prison

16. Information era

My point exactly, HE IS NO LONGER IN THAT PLACE, HE NOW HAS RESOURCES TO SPARE.

Also, no one has escaped the birdcage. His only concern would be getting the legal system to accept them being imprisoned in the birdcage. He could probably shove them in there himself and they would have no way to get out in any case.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Jaron, Senevri and Someguy Somewhere like this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

just 'the air' without "

HE MAY NOT WANT TO SPARE THEM FOR REPEAT OFFENDERS.

18. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

Yes. My question has been answered. Thank you :)

19. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

I admit it, I "Squelled" with joy when Kori put on the Blue Ring. It suits her well.

Blue is such a lovely color.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe this episode will be about her getting used to the ring.

Prince Charon likes this.
  21. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

Never change, Koriand'r.

22. Information era

It doesn't fit in with his previously established characterization. If his previous rational was being brutal because he had to be, but is now being brutal even when he doesnt have to be, it implies that he was lying about being brutal only because he had to be.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No, not really.

Yes he was brutal because he had to be, but he hasn't exactly become some sadistic bastard that enjoys pain and suffering.

He probably doesn't consider it important enough to be nice and helpful to people that are harming civilization, like criminals tend to do.

He's also being brutal to the worst offenders right now and not every single criminal that crosses his path.

24. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

And he has years and possibly decades of practice being a necessary dictator handing out draconian justice, and it working. Of course when he enters another world and finds it to be even more of a mess - technologically more advanced, but a bigger mess nonetheless - he isn't going to look too hard for alternatives.

Many, however, have repeatedly escaped being sentenced to the Birdcage. Sometimes multiple times, like Hookwolf.

Colin's smart; that was probably pro forma with no actual intention of succeeding.

25. Information era

That would mean that he never improved his kingdom, and that is at been stuck at a communist dictatorship with draconian laws for decades. That would be an example of him utterly failing to actually uplift the society.

26. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

27. Information era

So at the point things stand, LP is either evil or incompetent?

Vaermina likes this.
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Who could have guessed? :D

Oh, right. :p

29. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

My bet's on the Life Entity. Week=7=Colors of the Emotional Spectrum, 3 on Earth right now, we haven't seen any sign of red lanterns in Paragon but everyone else is somewhat accounted for, so assembling a White Ring the 'traditional' way may be in the cards.

No, it wouldn't. If he massively improved their tech level and standard of living, it wouldn't necessarily reduce the harshness of the government. Sinestro was equally draconian on Korugar at a very high level of technology.

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Both would be my guess.

After all, he contracted with the Ancients Spirits of Evil, and a key word in that Title is Evil.

Jaron and Austin Pharos like this.