1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

He still lost to normal man, that was just the writing at work to make a normal man win

2. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

If you think Bane is a normal man, I can’t imagine the ungodly hours you must put in at the gym...

3. DAT_NOOB

Fine, Normal buff man.

4. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

There's an example from the comics I liked.

Amos Fortune is a Justice League villain who mastered luck. At first it was supposed to be technology, but it was being treated as magic in this appearance, he had the Wizard help him with the luck energy.

By giving luck to Wildcat, he enabled a mindcontrolled Wildcat to defeat Flash and then Alan in hand to hand combat.

So he just got lucky.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Power rings technically are normal in the DC universe.

If the guy is able to alter reality around him then he's not a normal guy.

Bane, even without his drugs, is still an extremely strong guy.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  6. DAT_NOOB

I think there was a tale in the SCP resurrection canon where there was a 'Normal' kid who wasn't affected by anomalies which are normal to the SCP canon.

Strong yes, but still just a normal guy.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Also a skilled and experienced fighter.

Paul, even without his ring, is strong and a trained fighter, but not on Banes level of strength or skill.

8. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

For you.

Also, love to see more Warhammer Paul! He ranks above Fallout and Common Sense Paul in my top 3!

Can't wait for the wedding between him and that lovely corpse he intends to fuck.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And for a whole lot of other people.

He managed to lift a boulder without his drugs.

That's not something a lot of people can do.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  10. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

That was a rare, vintage meme from 2012 and you just shot it twice in the goddamn head!

Xelloss, DAT_NOOB and Xmaster3000 like this.
  11. Threadmarks: Warhammered (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I know roughly where I am
    But I have no idea when I am

The knight's surcoat is quartered red and blue, which probably means something to someone who knows about heraldry. His shield has a red background with a golden… Snake? Embossed on it. I can't see any sort of retinue which suggests 'Bretonnia' rather than 'The Empire'… I think? I would expect a knight to at least have a small retinue. I could ask the ring what language he's speaking, but without a record to compare it to it wouldn't mean all that much.

I take the sorceress's delight in petty cruelties and replace it with one for petty kindnesses.

Why isn't he advancing? Is it because I'm not threatening one of the locals? Or-. Ah. There's no obvious way for him to actually get to the boat. He could probably wade to the boat in full plate if he wanted, but the tide is turning and his footing would be uncertain. Plus he'd be completely open to any crossbow bolts fired by the crew. He could grab one of the small fishing boats, but that would involve even more difficulty. I doubt that he knows how to use one.

"Might I ask your name, sir knight?"

"I am Mallobaude du Carcassonne, Questing Knight sworn to the Lady!"

That clears that up. I'm in Bret-. No… Wait.

"I realise that you are obliged to follow the Lady's signs wherever the quest takes you, but are we actually in Bretonnia?"

"Are you a fool as well as a Hellspawn?"

"More ignorant than foolish, though I'm sure I have my moments. And if I could beg you for the date?"

"The year is fifteen thirty one, it is the thirteenth day of the month of Vendémiaire, we are in the Duchy of Mousillon and I will have your head!"

"Thank you! Though I'm not clear why you want my head?"

"You are a daemon!"

"No I'm not." I point to the elves-. I reinforce the bonds which were starting to fade a little. "They just assumed I was because it was the only point of reference they had."

"Come over here and say that!"

"I don't think that would be a good idea."

The sorceress shakes her head as she tries to make sense of her own partially-rewritten motivations. I can see that her desires are not meshing at all, and that's probably making her profoundly conflicted.

"If you are not a daemon, then what are you?"

"Oh, just some random mon-keigh-"

The captain isn't quite able to prevent himself from letting out an exhalation of shocked amusement.

"-with a potent artefact."

"A mon-keigh!" Seeing that I've already noticed he doesn't bother concealing his delight at the idea. "At least you know your place!"

"A what?"

Right, the translation isn't mutual. "Mon-keigh. It's an elven word meaning 'lesser intelligent species'. Basically anything that isn't an Old One, a slann or an elf."

"You are a man."

"Yes. I spotted this reaver ship as it came in and decided to stop it."

The knight's eyes dim a little. "Very well. Bring the picaroon here, that I may slay them as the Lady commands."

"You are.. lawfully able to sentence and execute criminals?"

"Verily."

"Okay, slight problem there. I've already offered them parole."

"You have no authority to do so!"

"I didn't think there was any authority in the area! Look, I offered them a choice between death at my hand, death at-" I gesture to him with my right arm. "-your hand, as it turns out, and my altering their minds in order to make them less evil."

"It matters little whose hand wields the blade, but how can their misdeeds and crimes be paid for if not with their deaths?!"

"Is that an actual question, or are you stating that they can't be?"

He hefts his sword in the half-handing hold.

"I will slay you for your impudence, cur!"

"That seems unlikely. Ah, one moment." I turn back to the corsairs. "Did anyone actually want to be handed over to the local authorities?"

No one moves.

"Just to be clear, you're choosing between annihilation at my hand and…" I look at the sorceress, then turn back to Mallobaude. "Could you possibly wait until I've finished one as an example?"

"One what?!"

"The way I see it, killing a slaver doesn't free those they abducted or resurrect those they slew. In the same way that if you put a debtor in prison they're never going to be able to earn enough money to pay off their debt. A better approach would be one in which they were able to pay off their debt to society through productive work."

"You would commute their death sentence to one of labour!?"

"I would effectively be-. Look. Could you wait until after I've finished? Nothing I'm doing would make it impossible for you to kill them afterwards, and you'll be able to get a better idea of the result of what I'm doing."

"You invade the lands of Bretonnia, steal my rightful quarry and ask that I await your pleasure?! Nay, churl, you shall satisfy me now!"

He thrusts the point of his sword into the ground.

"I challenge you to single combat!"

The sword glows and whow. It's like.. I'm in a tunnel, the edge distorting the rest of the universe like a… Concave lens. I lose contact with my constructs immediately, and… No, can't get through.

"You shall not escape me now!"

And the 'back' of the tunnel is being pulled in, forcing me to come closer to him.

"True, but the corsairs almost certainly will." I focus, and orange plate armour appears around me. "Because you have no way to catch them."

"It matters not! The Lady is with me! I shall never back down! I shall never falter in my devotion!"

"Okay, no." I stop being pushed towards him when I'm about five metres away, and he draws his sword from the ground and takes a stance. "Is there any way I could persuade you into not doing this?"

"Insult has been given and insult will be answered! Draw your weapon!"

I land and send bands of orange light into the ground. They surround a column under the ground just in front of him and send it into subspace, a construct arch being the only thing supporting the topsoil. And then I hold out my right hand and create sword and shield constructs.

"Alright. If you insist. Come at me, Sir Mallobaude."

Eyes fixed on mine he advances, and then disappears straight down. I take the excavated soil out of subspace and pour it into the hole, burying him up to his neck in loose soil.

"Craven coward!"

"It's hardly my fault that you didn't check your footing." I look around and the 'challenge arena' fades away, and the corsairs are hurriedly making sail. "If you'll excuse me, I've got a sentence to carry out. I'll come back to free you once I've finished."

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  12. Idkusername

Cuchulin likes this.
  13. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

i doubt Zoat read any of the NSFW stuff here

Lord Sanguinius likes this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

maybe 'tries'

maybe 'send it'

'disappears'

'they're'

15. Idkusername

Oh no, he’s been around.

Jaron, Cuchulin, gustyeagle and 10 others like this.
  16. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

This knight reminds me of Mandorallen from The Belgariad books. Equally thick, pompous and stubborn.

17. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Gods I hope this continues tomorrow.

He's been the whole way around. Wink wink nudge nudge.

18. Ej190

Ej190 Making the rounds.

Ok, I'm confused. Definitely not a franchise I'm familiar with.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Sadly it wont.

Though maybe we'll see him again in the end of this episode.

I really hope we also see what the 40k one has been doing in the next episode.

20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Still doubt the man will be much of a threat. Unless he's got some magic ability to bypass environmental shields.

That would be beneath a man of his rank. That sort of thing is for peasants!

Bretonnian, then. Oh, this is going to be annoying, if he's full of courtly language...

A very good question. Questing knights will go anywhere their visions lead them, even into the forests Athel Loren or into the crass lands of the Reiklanders.

He's actually asking that? Boy, you really love your timestamps, huh? :p

Mousillion, for the curious. Pretty much the muddy arse-end of Bretonnia. Plenty of wandering undead, and some Vampires.

The alternative was some unfamiliar kind of Wizard, and as they said last chapter, he's not touched by the Winds of Magic like any living thing of this world. Meaning he's technically soulless here.

Still just a guy with a sharpened bar of metal, and maybe a little innate magic (not that he'd call it that.) No big threat, except to Paul's patience.

Ah, now we see what you meant by 'getting it right is mid-tier'. Sloppy first try, and she's shaking it off as her soul tries to reboot her desires.

Because of course the Elven language is the same as 40K's Eldar... Blame the lazy writers of Warhammer...

And yet you're the one on his knees. Not seeing the irony here, Captain?

Not that sir knight cares for the tongues of 'pointy-eared louts and blackguards'.

Well, at least the battle-lust has cleared a little. And that is an amazing insult.:D

I suspect sir knight will have issues with that decision...

Oh, boy. A battle of philosophy? At least he's not waving his pigsticker around as much...

Ah, nope. He's not in a talking mood, I see. Man's got a short fuse.

Yeah, the crew's not going to take that offer...

Now, now, they may not be humans, but they're still people. Bad, bad people, but still...

Look, I know you want to facepalm, sir knight, but please refrain, you'll dent your helmet.

Boy, that's not a good sign. Hope he's in good shape, otherwise he's going to pop a blood vessel.

:eek: ...What.

Oh, wow, the good old Challenge between characters. It's like the world is actually running in 5th edition rules.

Man, that must get annoying after a while. He really likes the sound of his own voice, huh?

Oh, you have no idea what you;re in for, do you. here's a hint: he already has it drawn.

Three steps ahead. Classic Zoat.

And that is not going to improve his mood at all. I can just imagine the Dark Elves soaking in Hope right now...

Entertaining. It's like no-one's ever run into advanced technology before... Oh, wait. Well, at least not in this part of the world - There's probably a few lost artifacts in the Realms of Chaos, like bolters and power armour, to be had...

21. Lurker Scum

Lurker Scum Getting some practice in, huh?

Its Warhammer Fantasy bro. OL's in Brettonia which is basically the land of French King Arthur. Super simplified, its a land where peasants have to donate 95% of their earnings to their local nobility. Of that nobility, if they gots a penis, they're a knight. What kind of knight varies based on their experience and age. Our friend Sir Mallobaude is a Questing Knight which is basically second from the top in terms of Knight hierarchy and whose purpose in life is to do good until the Lady (Lady of the Lake expy) decides he's worthy to become a Grail Knight and drink from the Grail turning them into Captain America (Captain Brettonia?). Problem is that loads of Questing Knights will spend literally their entire lives and not be found worthy. So, dependent on the author, if OL hadn't steeped in, Mallobaude could technically be badass enough to take on the entire reaving party himself because Questing Knight.

22. Idkusername

Unfortunately, it doesn't.

Thank you for dissecting my joke. My heartfelt gratitude.

Jaron, gustyeagle, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  23. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

One of GW's official campaigns had a relic that was basically a power fist.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

In fairness she is a magic user, so it's not that surprising she'd be able to shake off the effects.

Well it could be that just some words are universal for Elves, even if they come from different times and universes.

Though it's probably lazy writing.

If they're arrogant bastards that consider humans to be amusing animals at best, then you really can't blame him for not caring about them all that much.

Paul just has that effect on people.

I prefer to think of them as rabid dogs that can talk.

A trait he and the various versions of Paul share.

Maybe they can become friends over their mutual love of their own voices.

Gilgamesh and Ozymandias managed to become friends in Fate despite the fact that they're both extremely arrogant, so it's not out of the realm of possibilities for this Paul and the knight can also become friends.

Cuchulin, zerofarad, DAT_NOOB and 2 others like this.
  25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Judging by Mr Zoat's words that Paul will inspire him, they will become friends, or at least allies.

26. varoksa

varoksa Getting sticky.

As interesting it is to actually see something different i would like to note the internal monologue of someone who woke up on a deathworld an hour ago with a ring to someone who has been dealing with cosmic threats with one for over a year is far too similar. Like unless someone has a neurological disorder that causes them to not feel fear its just completely unrealistic.

Odysseus2099, david and Ardy like this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This one has a lot of motivation to not feel fear, seeing as he won't be able to use his ring if he feels too much fear.

Jaron, Prince Charon, Caerwen and 4 others like this.
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Poor Stargirl Paul, it turns out he stopped the Injustice Society from saving the world.

29. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, they're too busy hoisting sail.
    She wasn't shaking it off. She was struggling to think now that she has two sets of incompatible desires in her head and her own thoughts didn't make sense.
    There was a Warhammer Monthly story with a noble who was a wizard, but they're pretty uncommon.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

By brainwashing millions of people.

Yes that Paul's actions truly are reprehensible, on the same level as Tangseid reprehensible actions.