1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Looks like Zoat forgot he had Paul insert the rings into his body.

And to think, these are just disposable footsoldiers.

Have to wonder what's going to happen when the big boys show up.

AngelicKnight. likes this.
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Read the explanations I gave for how he could do it with the rings in his body.

You can find them yourself.

Edit: Ah heck, we know you won't try to do the work.

Xmaster3000 and Ardy like this.
  3. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

It's even simpler than that. He can phase and turn invisible in construct armor.
    That means constructs can be phased and invisible.
    Filaments are constructs. He doesn't even have to make a hole.

Ardy and david like this.
  4. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Now, if only he had ultra fine filaments he could send through his body to do the absolute minimum possible damage and that then expand the moment they leave.

But no, he couldn't possibly have developed that skill very early in the story.

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I may not have been entirely clear. While there are ways to make constructs invisible to particular observers, generally when the SI goes invisible he drops his construct armour.

6. david

david Getting sticky.

Random question, what episode did Paul go to Blue's parallel and fight the DCAU Justice League again?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Doppelgängered.

8. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Sheeda attack the past for resources, "harvesting."

If Terrans go interplanetary, no more harvesting. Not actually a part of the DC lore, Zoat filling in the blanks as it were.

Apparently, in the past, the Sheeda forces were allowed much more liberties, hence one of them wanting to take advantage of the loophole that they were not on Sheeda-Earth, nor on the Earth on the past, so orders about how to behave on Sheeda-Earth or Earth of the past don't apply. Also not part of the lore, but the Sheeda did go from King Melmoth to the Queen, so administrations having different rules is sensible enough.

And for whatever reason the mutations of the warlockbreed were of scientific interest to the Sheeda, hence their going all Nazi scientist on them. Also not part of the DC lore that I can recall.

But I'm just guessing here since you didn't specify what parts of the dialogue you found confusing.

So if I guessed wrong, correct me.

9. Dres

Dres Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

I stumbled across this browsing the user fiction on Spacebattles and have been trying to catch up for the last two weeks. Totally didn't expect to enjoy a Young Justice story so much. Glad to see something that's this long not get dropped halfway through for once, even if it has hopped multiple forums.

10. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

breathe

Oh dear. Jumping to the big guns without even warning his teammates.

That's a metaphysical connection, not a construct tether. The whole idea behind construct-lanterns is that they are their own self-contained source of orange light so they don't NEED a tether.

11. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'looks like'

Assblaster5000 likes this.
  13. Mr Zoat

That combination of words occurs quite a lot. Can you please give me the whole sentence?

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Should be 'looks like'

15. Xmaster3000

Xmaster3000 Know what you're doing yet?

No, rings do not need to be connected to constructs. See Exhibit A.

Assblaster5000 likes this.
  16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

17. Threadmarks: Otherworld (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

2nd May
    03:27 GMT -5

Anarawd sticks his head up through the mist, then freezes.

Mr. Yao nods politely. "Greetings, Anarawd."

A shift in the position of his right shoulder suggests that he's reaching for something.

I raise a construct autocannon. Abednego holds two pistols at the ready. Leonid brings his energy blasts to the 'ready to fire' status.

"I would advise you to think very carefully before doing anything precipitous."

Anarawd relaxes his shoulder, then raises his hands. I note that he's not wearing the armour his comrades were, meaning that I'm getting my first good look at a Sheeda. His nails are inch-long claws and his fingers are just slightly longer than those of normal humans. His skin is bone-white, and the tips of his ears extend to the level of the top of his head which is shaved but for a top-knot. A thin decorative tattoo has been stencilled across his forehead and his eyes are a gloss black in iris and sclera.

"Thank you. I was not certain that Sheeda could surrender."

"Huuuuuman."

"I am the Accomplished Perfect Physician. Would you like a hand out?"

The Sheeda's eyes narrow. "You will die."

Mr. Yao nods. "Yes, someday. But not today, and not by your hand."

Anarawd considers for a moment, then puts his hands on the edge of the pit and pulls himself out. Stronger than a baseline human would be with arms that thin. He's still wearing a pair of pants, and there's an unpleasant-looking knife strapped to the belt. He doesn't resist as Leonid relieves him of it.

"Do you have my colleagues?"

"I regret to inform you that they are dead."

"Then.. I am your prisoner." He brings his wrists together in front of him. "What will you do with me?"

"You will be interrogated at length. We know that there is a harvest fleet due to return to the present. This will be the final Harrowing."

Abednego places manacles around Anarawd's wrists, locking his entire forearms together. He then kneels to lock looser chains around Anarawd's ankles before standing and looking the Sheeda over.

"The terror of my forebears. 'Tis a strange thing to see you in the flesh. Do you know what Melmoth had planned for us, or are you ignorant of his aims?"

"I am not of the High-Born. Whatever schemes Dark Melmoth had in mind, he would not have stooped to tell me." His eyes narrow slightly. "And if you have slain my colleagues, you must have some idea of what we are doing. And if you know of the Harrowing, you must know something of what my Queen has planned. I am uncertain of what knowledge you hope to gain from me."

Mr. Yao nods. "And uncertain you may stay. Mister Abednego, can you secure this prisoner?"

"Aye, though it is not our common practice."

"You have a common practice for Sheeda?"

"Aye." He nods. "We have slain every Sheeda we have ever fought. T'was but one before today, but we were thorough with it." He puts his right hand firmly upon Anarawd's left shoulder. "And I would consider it no bad thing to add another Sheeda to that tally, so tempt me not."

He pushes Anarawd, and the Sheeda begins walking where Abednego indicates.

Leonid and I turn to Mr. Yao.

"What now, boss?"

"Orange Lantern, please inform the surviving people of this town that the Sheeda are dead. If there is some connection to their world and era, try to discover it. If they have physicians, ask that they come at once to assist Mistress Butler. Starfire, please pick up the young woman who aided us and bring her here so that Mister Abednego can unbind her."

"Sir, she said that she wanted to become like the Sheeda. Are you certain that we should release her?"

"That will be up to the people of this town. We are not here to set this world to rights."

Leonid nods, and we turn to walk towards the exit.

"I'll have to test how effective this armour is later."

"They did not detect you. I would say that it was effective." He grimaces. "That was disgusting."

"Your first time seeing mass murder?"

"Yes, thankfully." He shakes his head. "We are shown pictures. We see the remains of the dead that are recovered in the field to try to reduce how it shocks us. But to pin a man, a woman or a child to a bench and then cut them apart with a beetle… That is not the same thing as dying in battle." We reach the courtyard in silence. "It was not your first time?"

"My first time was after Klarion split the world. I don't know if you heard the interview, but I spent some time removing the bodies of children whose aircraft crashed."

"The League asked you to?"

"No, it just needed doing, and since I can't be traumatised like a normal person anymore I thought it was best if I did it. Diana still needed to bench me after I went into a fugue at the sheer senselessness of it."

I look over to where the flies are continuing to eat, blissfully ignorant of what's going on around them.

"The gordanians I marooned?" He nods. "They used implanted bombs to keep their prisoners in line. I've seen recordings of what the psions did to their prisoners; recordings made by the psions themselves for entertainment purposes. I've seen recordings of Spider Guilders eating the crews of entire ships alive, and I've seen the Reach drug entire planetary populations into executing each other." I shrug. "We deal with these things so that other people don't have to."

"How fortunate for us."

"Would you prefer it if we weren't?"

"No, I suppose not."

I shrug. "I'm afraid that all too often this is what the job is about. You… Find a pile of bodies and deal with it as best you can. I'm sorry, but I'm not really… Shockable in the way that most people are. I can get Lantern Gardner to talk to you if you like. Or… I think Robin's encountered a few things like this if that would be easier."

"No, I… Think that I will talk to my priest, when we return. And… Perhaps I will request a leave of absence."

I nod. "Quite reasonable, under the circumstances. But… Look, I know that the Russian government wants you to graduate to the Justice League eventually. This… Is unusual, but-."

"But I will see it again. And again." He looks at the ground for a few moments. "Yes. Yes, I understand. This is the job that we take on."

He rises into the air, and flies back towards the dead forest.

Right then!

I fly upwards and generate giant sonic projectors and cinema screens showing my face.

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, it is my great pleasure to announce that your Sheeda domitors are either dead or in custody. Your town is no longer under their control. Would anyone with medical knowledge please report to the barrack building. Would the town mayor or other civil leader please report to the barrack building for a full debriefing. Would anyone with an immediate security concern please report it to the glowing orange man. Would anyone…"

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'know what'

'wants'

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, you are about to have quite the bad day, knife-ears. Worse than what you've already had.

Cocky, isn't he? I don't think he's quite realised the position he's in here...

After all the effort his buddies went through to patch him up, it'd be a shame to waste their hard work before he can be questioned.

Very, very strong Dark Elf/Dark Eldar vibes. It's hardly an original idea to GW, anyway. After all, they were copying Elric of Melniboné...

Man, the knife-ears must feel like a grade-A jackass right now. It's really satisfying to see...

Bonus points for the quote, Physician.

Technically, yes. Though they're in no shape to be answering questions...

Got to love that Leaguer confidence. He's learned well from the Americans.

As if he'd know anything more than what he needed for his mission...

Depends on how intact you want him...

Execution, probably. I would probably do it by burning...

I see he's sensible enough to not resist. Pity, but they do need him able to talk...

Stow the humour, OL.This isn't really the best time...

Eh... You can't leave her tied up forever...

Your armour or theirs, OL? Because yours seemed fine.

Probably not something he'd be familiar with, at his age.

Dark times. Not sure if it's better or worse than seeing people vivisected (because no way would those unfortunates have been dead before the Sheeda started cutting open skulls or chests.)

And even with his Enlightenment, that actually impacted his ability to use his ring, too.

To sum up: OL's seen some serious shit.

Because someone has to do it. Better it be someone who honestly feels for people, even if it hurts.

Understandable. He's not even eighteen, is he?

Just try not to lose that sense of horror and disgust at the things you see. As OL once said: Rejoice when you discover Evil, for when you are done, there will be one less Evil in the universe.

Oh, you're going to enjoy this, aren't you?

I'm sure they'll do that, once they overcome the confusion at the sight...

This isn't the end of the affair, of course. Between learning more of the Sheeda's plans, seeing to their prisoner, and helping the Warlock-breed get their town back in order, there's still a lot ahead.

...and there's an unpleasant-looking knife...
    Double space there.

21. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

...like some cake?"

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

How about some giant cake?

23. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Correction, "... like some cake?" :)

24. Handlewithcare

Argh, you're right. Fixing it.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No need for that.

Paul sometimes has to make more than just cake to keep things interesting.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  26. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

First there will be tests.
    Then there will be cake.

27. Handlewithcare

So one day he will also be known...as THE MUFFIN MAN!

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Wouldn't be the first time a superhero took on a new identity.

Plus muffins managed to save Goku once, so they are a powerful force.

29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Of course not. Even a warlock-breed would die after a few weeks without water.

30. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Mr Zoat I am really curious of how the following things look in your -14 universe:
    • The Vega system
    • Larfleeze
    • The Maltusians and their descendants (Guardians, Zamarons)
    • Thaal Sinestro
    • Hell
    • Heaven
    • Hades and his domain
    • Brainiac 2
    • Darkseid

Xmaster3000, Cuchulin and Darko like this.