1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

What story is this?

Could you please leave a link?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  2. megamiaouh

megamiaouh Not too sore, are you?

Dogbertcarroll's With Another Ring is still just a bunch of snips so far, but if he continues it he'll soon have to make it into a story.

3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So... He's sacrificing his ability to make constructs in exchange for what?

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He can still make constructs.

Sybarite implanted his ring in his body and he was able to make constructs.

He most likely implanted them in his body to make sure he doesn't lose them if he gets his hands cut of again.

He managed to summon them back after he lost them the last time, but the Sheeda may be faster now.

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Sorry to tell you this, but one of the hard rules of Power Rings is that the construct has to be connected to the ring.

Another is that the threads can't pass through solid matter.

So yea, he lost his ability to make constructs, because if he tries he gives himself a lobotomy.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat can just make it so that rings from Earth 16 can do those things.

It wouldn't be going against any Earth 16 power rings canon, since there practically is none.

Cuchulin and infinityDivided like this.
  7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Again, sorry to tell you this, but those limitations are so basic they actually showed up in Young Justice.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Please provide proof that the limitations showed up in the TV show and the tie in comics.

Also, please provide proof that orange rings in Earth 16 have these limitations.

Not green rings, but orange rings.

BoML, Xmaster3000, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

An explanation for how OL can get around these restrictions, assuming they exist and Zoat decides to add them, is that he can make a small filament pierce his body in a way which causes little to no damage and make constructs when the filament is out.

OL prefers using filaments.

Xmaster3000, Ardy, Ngamer11 and 2 others like this.
  10. Alexcorvin

Alexcorvin Goodbye

Darko ----v

dogbertcarroll, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  11. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

This confuses me, given that phasing and invisibility have been used together without problem before.

Xmaster3000, Ardy and infinityDivided like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe he can use them, but it isn't all that easy to and he's just mentioning it now.

Xmaster3000 and infinityDivided like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Remind me?

14. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Here's some of the instances that they were used together:

15. infinityDivided

infinityDivided ******** of Doom

Wow, you collected those fast.

16. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Semicolon should probably be a comma, but a colon might be appropriate.

Not hard to search for all posts in a thread containing two specific words.

17. Mr Zoat

Right then. I guess I'll be editing today's segment.
    Thank you, corrected.

18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And Yesterday's unless you want to make Paul look like an idiot.

19. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Actually the "constructs have to be connected to the ring, even if by filaments" is Zoat's rule, not the comics.

Here's a pic of Hal recreating Coast City and it's people, and not a single one of the constructs is connected to his ring in any way whatsoever.
    [​IMG]

Kyle gave Purgatory construct legs which were then fueled by Purgatory's willpower and then later Neron's magic, independent entirely of Kyle's ring.

[​IMG]

I had never even heard of the idea that constructs had to remain connected to the rings before this fic, and I immediately filed it away under stuff Zoat made up for this fic.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat can't even read what you're saying since he's blocked you, so this little attempt at getting him to edit his post is just pointless.

Either Zoat decided to make it so that constructs from Earth 16 need to be connected to the ring to work, or he just made his SI and the various Lanterns in the story believe this, even though the constructs may be able to function without being connected, just because it makes sense, and OL may not remember the instances in which the constructs functioned independently in the comics, or just think that they were connected to the ring, but the connection couldn't be seen.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  21. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Zoat hasn't incorporated quite a few tricks from the comics, to tell you the truth.

Considering how high Zoat's "useless DC trivia" stat is, my going assumption is that he knows about them and just decided for any number of reasons to leave them out.

For example, Ganthet created an independent construct to beat Kyle like a drum and bring Kyle to him.

Yeah, getting kidnapped by Ganthet was not the high point of Kyle's career.

But however how much charge creating an independent construct costs, Paul has a lantern.

So Paul could create an army of constructs, and all it would take him is time.

So Paul could have an army of constructs, without the moral issues that generally prevent the Pauls from having their own armies.

Zoat doesn't seem to have the inclination to write the Seinfieldian nonadventures of Paul and the gang while Paul's construct army prevents all crime and accidents.

22. Threadmarks: Otherworld (part 19)
    Mr Zoat

2nd May
    03:16 GMT -5

The first bunkroom is just that: a bunk room.

The second is also a bunkroom, but this time it's occupied. Warlock-breed lie on the beds, eyes staring blankly at the ceiling. They appear to be wearing… Whatever the Sheeda picked them up wearing. No… Obvious-. Ah, a neck clamp of some sort. Presumably holding them in near-total paralysis, 'near-total' because I can just about see them struggling to breathe. Storage for whatever they're planning on doing with them? I'll come back once the Sheeda are dealt with.

The third room is also a bunkroom. And a mortuary. Or.. possibly meat storage. I don't remember whether the Sheeda had any particular problem with cannibalism. The bodies have been mutilated, cut open and… Parts removed. There the flesh has been stripped from the left side of the skull, which in turn has been opened to allow the removal of parts of the brain. Next to that unfortunate a rib cage has been opened up and the lungs and liver are missing. The rest are in worse condition still. I'm not sure which part of this world the victims came from. I can't see any mutated parts, but I'd have to check their genes with an active scan to be certain.

Why be selective? There's no way they have the facilities to analyse arcane physiology like this here. Are they removing them? Planning on taking them back to the future for some reason? I'd consider it as taking hunting trophies if there was any rhyme or reason to the parts they were taking. Donation? I wouldn't think so, and the remains here certainly seem… Fresh enough.

"Mamuraghahhhhhhhhh…"

I phase through the wall in the direction of the noise.

Two figures in bleached armour are standing next to a warlock-breed who is strapped to a mobile platform. The one on the left is holding some sort of beetle, which is chewing through their victim's right arm. No, chewing though connective tissue, like a scalpel with mandibles. It looks like the warlock-breed has.. some sort of exoskeleton growth? And it's being peeled away in sections. Other pieces of skin have already been removed, and laid out on a… On an organic frame, which appears to be supplying them with a green fluid in place of blood from a slowly-beating bladder at the base.

"We are fortunate with this one."

"Melmoth's loss is our gain."

"Come now. This would not have bought him back into her good graces."

They're both fully armoured but I can only see their side arms. And as far as I can tell they're both looking at their victim. Who's still conscious, but no longer able to make noise due to the damage to his throat.

"Nor would it us. I am concerned about the Lantern."

They ride giant insects and their surgical tool is an insect. That skin loom thing looks… If not 'alive' then at least biological. Is their armour alive as well?

"Why? This world is far from Earth."

"If the profligates have Lanterns, that implies that they are close to freeing themselves from Earth. If that is true, then this harvest-."

Left glares at right. "Do not speak it."

"As you insist. But you understand-?"

Left returns his attention to his victim. "An alternative would be preferable in any case. Something that gets us out of the sun. Events merely emphasise the importance of-" With a tug a section of carapace comes free, and it gets attached to the frame. "-our work here."

"Melmoth's work here. It is unfortunate that he is dead. It would be enlightening to question him."

"I will trust Melmoth to remain dead when the Queen eats his still-living body, and not a moment before. I suspect that we will find his trail once we move on."

"The leg, you think?"

"The fleshborer thinks not. The taint of summer's dawning is too great for it to have use to us."

"It is well-intact."

"We have no need for revenants. These people are broken. It would serve no purpose, even as a distraction, and our flies are well-fed."

"It seems so wasteful. We could create a true reclamation vat."

"I did not volunteer for this duty in order to 'recycle responsibly'. For this brief time we may be as profligate as our ancestors. I suggest that you enjoy it, for it will not come again."

"The Queen's order-."

"Applies under the vampire sun, yes. But we are no longer there. And her commandments relating to Earth do not apply, for we are not there."

"True. But if we are to be profligate, may we not do so properly? The larger settlements are more likely to have treasures worth plundering."

"Alas, we are bound to our task. Still… It would not hurt to acquire specimens from there also."

"And food, and drink."

"If you wish to be violently ill, be my guest. We are not as our ancestors were."

Left shrugs and gestures to his victim's throat with the beetle.

"A simple fix. I could take his tongue and temporarily replace my own. That would grant me the taste."

"If you could make it function, which is not a certainty."

"I would have many attempts."

"Perhaps. We must process our current cull first. Then if Anarawd has not stirred himself there would be no harm in it."

Left raises his beetle.

"May he rest well and true."

He moves it towards his victim's throat-.

I take an x-ionised blade out of subspace and send it at his throat!

He reacts a fraction of a second before it hits, catching the blade on a neck-ring rather than the seam I aimed for as he turns aside and tries to crouch. The construct holding the blades registers the hit, but his head remains lamentably on his shoulders. He backpedals while his colleague draws his gun and fades from view.

I drop the blade and open fire with a mixed volley of crumbler and phasic rounds at the one who went invisible, while the other gets an orange energy pulse as I move around the room. An entropic beam punches a hole through the wall where I was a moment before, and some equipment is knocked back as my railgun rounds hit something. The orange energy pulse wrecks the other Sheeda's side arm and it-

"E-h."

-stumbles as the gun's power cell detonates against its leg.

Then Abednego steps out of its shadow and jams a witch-sign through its helmet's eye, causing it to freeze up as the sigil shudders! Railgun rounds clearly unreliable I switch to a beam singularity and fire an arc across the origin point for the entropic ray. The Sheeda fades back into visibility, my beam having caught him across the hips and sliced him in two. He's still alive and he's dropped his gun, but he's bleeding freely and from his limpness I see that he's not long for this world.

I send out filaments and stop the bleeding, then reach into his soul.

"Brand."

His torso spasms, his eyes snap open and flare orange-.

His body collapses, decaying into flakes of dust that I turn my sensors up to maximum to try and analyse… No, I'm not getting anything helpful. I know what ash looks like.

Abednego's opponent appears to have a similar reaction to his witch-sign; his eyes flare white as Abednego steps away and-.

Dust again.

Damn it-!

No, can't worry about it. I remove the severed tissue from the frame, press it into the wounds of the vivisection victim and take out a purple healing ray.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  23. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

IIRC, independent constructs like Teekl were still connected by a filament of some sort, it just only existed on the spiritual plane or something. OL was able to see it with Ophidian-vision. I think that scene took place in the vodon restaurant.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'to be wearing'

'fully armored'

this one feels a bit weird, maybe 'it attaches to the frame' or 'is attached'

'tries to crouch'

maybe add 'is not long'

'stop'

25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Should be 'an arc'.

26. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Anyone else lack the lore background to understand what they talked about?

DrThoth, Razorfloss, Xelloss and 3 others like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Presumably where the guards that once used this fort dwelt. I somehow doubt the Sheeda would deign to use their beds, if they even bother to sleep...

Presumably, they'll keep an hour or two longer. The bastards don't want them dead, after all.

Something for later. I wonder why the randomness of the damage? Some manner of exerimentation?

Oh, yeah, someone being tortured nearby. Focus, OL.

Salvaging useful materials for study? Planning a harvest at some point in the future? What knowledge could they possibly gain from this?

Chatty, aren't they? Bet they're natural gossips...

As well you should be, little elf. Don't want to get the attention of greater powers than your queen...

But still within space known to have Lanterns, clearly. That the Sheeda, hailing from a far distant future, know of them? That's interesting. Presumably they've looted records from alternate futures they've raided...

Yeah, not so fun when the prey can bite back, is it? Especially during this age of superheroes.

So, they're definitely some manner of scientific material-gathering expedition...

And they found no trace of Melmoth in the old halls? Interesting.

Hmm... Conflicting genetic modifications? Or perhaps some reference to the local sun?

Fuuuck, with just a few words, they make themselves so hateable.

Ugh. Some assholes just want to see the world burn, don't they?

And of course this guy's one of those to play up when he thinks he's free to.

All the more reason to stop them now, I think...

Oh, that's interesting. Their biology is so different, they can't eat our food? But is it a side-effect of their modifications, or changing tastes in the environment?

Clearly they people are experts in biomanipulation. Explains the nature of their gear.

Guessing that's the one OL laid out. Looks like he took more damage than anyone realised.

Disposing of his test subject? Let's not let that happen...

Decapitatioo-..!

..Denied! Sunnova-!

Blind-fire for the win!

Oooh, that's just got to sting.

Not quite the Ludicrous Gibs I was hoping for, but still a decent amount of damage.

You want answers, huh?

Self-destruct mechanics, eh? Presumably to minimise the effects on history (and the obvious analysis) if a local somehow manages to take them down.

I doubt he's going to enjoy the next few hours while he heals up, but at least he's alive...

Now see what I mean by the power of Prep-time? That and surprise got them a kill in a single round of combat. Too bad they couldn't interrogate the bastard elves... Unless they can find the third one.

29. FourthPear

FourthPear Frequent Flier.

Ultraviolet Lantern Corps?

30. Chirox

Chirox Getting out there.

I suspect this is one of those bits that is intentionally a bit cryptic and vague which will be explored as we really get into the Sheeda arc. All I know about them is what I've learned through this fic, which is basically "dying future race of earthlings that raid the past, have a queen, are super dangerous and completely amoral" so the conversation made sense in the context of setting up further reveals

Jaron, mauke, Cuchulin and 7 others like this.