1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Larfleezes apparently lived and died his mortal life with his family. The - 14 Manga Khan wields the orange ring in that universe.

The Guardians went crazy and Krona killed them to prevent them from taking over/destroying the universe, and then commited suicide since he didn't want to end up like they did.

The Zamarons have their own power ring Corps and are doing the thing the Guardians are doing in other universes, protecting the known universe.

Zauriel the angel apparently fell in -14 and was enslaved by either Giovanni Zatara or someone else, but now works for Giovanni, albeit unwillingly.

Hades, along with his siblings, is most likely dead, or in Kronus's stomach, since the Olympians apparently lost the war there.

Jaron, Prince Charon, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Yeah, see, the Amazons practised divine eugenics. If Zeus likes putting it about, why not take advantage and create a people of demigods? They ended up getting more and more powerful, and things escalated.
    Brainiac 2 is a radical technophile on a planet of primitivists.

Uxas left Apokolips upon his brother's ascension and has been running a fast food restaurant with Suli ever since.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So the -14 Amazon's created a new pantheon of gods to replace the Olympians?

I thought Lamprey said that the Olympians lost the war when he called the Trident the 'Trident of Oceanus', and called the Olympians 'low born'

Prince Charon, Ardy, Ngamer11 and 3 others like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

They did, but much like how the Olympians didn't kill all of the Titans, so the Titans didn't kill all of their own children.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So Zeus was spared, or managed to hide away, and sired lots of children that eventually got more powerful?

Have the Titans been overthrown by those demigods/former demigods in -14?

Jaron, Prince Charon, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  6. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Will the cake be a lie?

Darko, DAT_NOOB and Xmaster3000 like this.
  7. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Is it a good fast food restaurant?

Darko, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  8. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Dark Sliders, best burger joint in the western spiral arm.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The secret ingredient is a bit of Life Equation thrown in.

erebus1994 and Cuchulin like this.
  10. quietwhile

quietwhile Getting out there.

Sheeda SI?

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Threadmarks: Otherworld (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

2nd May
    09:29 GMT -5

"O-h."

I smile at my interviewee. "Mister Rathaway, please, come in."

"Ah… Right."

The young man comes into the office I'm using in the Weatherly Building on Sullivan Street, Metropolis, just about managing to avoid catching his briefcase in the door as he closes it. While the charity Lex set up to handle this sort of thing generally conducts interviews -such as they are- by video link or on-site visit, it has nonetheless proved sensible to actually have somewhere physical in which to base operations. And to allow the occasional meeting with someone who… Is between workspaces.

"Mister Rathaway, thank you for coming." He's standing a little way away with his briefcase clasped like a shield. "Would you like to..? Take a seat?"

"Thank-thank you." He stiffly comes forward to sit in front of my desk, running his right hand through his hair. "Sorry, I just… Wasn't expecting you-. To-to do the interview personally."

"Oh, I usually don't. But I like to stick my nose in to things I'm attached to every so often, just to check what's going on. And unlike my fan mail, I can't outsource this to the genomorphs."

"You.. outsource fan mail?"

"Flash probably could handle all of his if he really wanted to, but for someone like me it's just not possible. So I could either ignore it, set up some sort of automatic boilerplate letter, or have my in-house hive mind write what I'd have written if I'd read it."

"Huh. Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I mean-."

"So while I didn't actually write your reply, I did check it before taking this meeting, and I'm very glad that you took g-dwarf four seven eight's advice." I gesture to him with both hands. "So why don't you show me your work?"

He nods, still visibly off-balance, and lays his briefcase on the desk before popping the catches and opening it up.

"I was born deaf. I've got-" He turns his head to the left, reaching up with his right hand to pull his hair back from his ear and revealing a small scar. "-an implant now, but I was wearing a hearing aid in elementary school." I nod, and he drops his hand and faces me again. "Getting.. the implant… Growing up having to plug myself in when I wanted to hear anything, that made me very interested in how sound works, and all of the applications it has. Sound has an emotional impact on people, not just in… Reminding them of things, but in actually… Reliably, measurably affecting their mental state. That's… That's what I got my Master's for, and now I'm looking for sponsorship to develop the technology commercially."

"That's what we're here for." I smile. "What can your technology do now, and what are you hoping to be able to do with it?"

"At the moment I've got a device the size of a flute that can… Make people extremely suggestible when they hear the music it plays. Only while it's playing, but it works on just about… Everyone. Ah."

I nod. "I was assuming that you would have tested it exclusively on humans."

"Sound energy is kinetic energy transmitted by vibrations. If a person can hear, then they should be susceptible, but that only applies to humans. I don't know how your species would be affected."

"What degree of control does it grant the musician?"

"That depends. A short burst of sound can… Make a person make a sudden movement with.. their arm, without knowing why their arm is acting up. An ongoing song can make a group of people stand still or walk somewhere, but it's pretty obvious that they're not acting of their own volition."

"How do people feel about being controlled after they… Wake up?"

"Usually, if it's their first time they're a little scared, but obviously I let all the volunteers know what was going to happen in advance. As far as I've been able to tell, there's no lasting effect from the control; it's completely limited to controlling physical actions."

"And the effect only lasts as long as they can hear the sound?"

"A few seconds after it stops, then they snap back immediately."

I nod. "That's got some obvious applications as a low lethality police weapon."

"It's not low-lethality, it's zero lethality. This isn't a sonic cannon, Mister Grayven."

"There's no such thing as a zero lethality anything. What does it do to people with a hearing-impairment? Or synesthesia? Or when the one playing it doesn't notice that the person they've ordered to walk is reaching the edge of a cliff?"

"I… The sonic waves can vibrate bone, so unless they're deaf due to damage to their auditory cortex it shouldn't matter. I had one of my assistants test it on me and it still worked. Synesthesia or.. a cyst on the auditory cortex, it.. should just fail to work. And with the cliff thing that's not the music that's killing them."

"It's less dangerous than a firearm or taser. I just want to make sure that you understand that if your end product gets sold as a weapon, someone will eventually die from it. Of course, weaponising this technology is far easier than doing anything else with it."

"That's… That's kind of why I'm here? I'd like funding to investigate other uses. To see if there's a sound for making angry people calm, or making people more alert or attentive."

I smile. "Stranger things exist. Do you have a full written proposal? With costings?"

He nods and pulls out a binder, laying it down next to his briefcase. "Of course I do. I want to get this approved. I don’t wanna get tossed off the lot because I didn't read the requirements."

"You'd be amazed how many people don't." I take the document and begin skimming it. "And the thing is, due to the sort of person we're trying to attract, we actually can't just throw them out if they can't put a written proposal together." He frowns. "I mean, don't get me wrong, this definitely helps, but these grants are intended for potentially violently destructive would-be supervillains. Half of our staff are qualified psychotherapists for a reason."

"I'm-. I'm not a… Supervillain."

I look up from his document and raise my eyebrows.

"Sure thing, Pied Piper."

"Oh, Jesus, the rats were just a test-run. I wasn't actually-."

"Ah! You didn't mention that. It's far easier to get approval for Jain-friendly pest control than for anything involving humans. Can you make instruments that just work on vermin?"

"Yes, I could make one… Shaped like a dog whistle. It would be… 'Call' or 'flee' only, but it wouldn't be hard to make. It just seems… Kinda…"

"If you can reliably remove all the rats from a major city, not only will you get enough money not to need our help, but you'll reduce the spread of infectious diseases. I'll be happy to recommend that we accept you on-" I tap the folder against the desk. "-the basis of this alone, but in purely self-interested terms that may be the best route for you. Obviously our.. colleagues in LexCorp will be delighted to help you with the business side, if you choose to make use of-"

Lantern Grayven, we have a problem.

"-them." I push my chair back. "Excuse me."

"Ah..?"

I stroll over to the window. We're only just past morning rush hour, and there are plenty of people in the streets below. They're.. pointing upwards, phones out. I look up as well, but I can't see anything from here.

Sinestro?

I believe it's the-

Red beams flicker down, punching through buildings and people with equal abandon!

-Sheeda.

And then I hear the screaming start.

I turn back to Mr. Rathaway as I take my weapons out of subspace and summon my drones.

"You have a prototype in that case?"

He nods, pulling out a flute and nervously bringing it to his lips as I generate construct armour.

"Keep it with you. You're going to need it."

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'I do', since he's telling him that he has the documents now.

What's the situation with New Genesis like in universe -14?

Were the Titans overthrown by the new pantheon the Amazons created with those demigods on -14?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  13. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Oof, well that's the risk of living in a splinter timeline. If you don't pick up the plot hooks then they'll still gut you like a fish anyways.

14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So here we see the consequences of Para-Pauls preparations and alliance building vs Rene-Grayvens Solorun.

Many people complain about Pauls ways but they are useful

15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Pied Piper, sometimes Flash Rogue and, in the much-maligned Countdown, the man who played the song that destroyed Apokolips.

And sometimes, you just need to look someone in the eye as they expound upon their creations.

Talk about an intimidating interviewer, eh?

It would be a safe bet the he receives a lot of it. Ranging from death threats to romantic offers to desperate, lunatic ramblings, I would expect.

And the latter definitely makes the most sense. They can also bring to his attention anything of significant interest. Like the aforementioned ramblings that seem likely to be acted on...

I'm guessing that advice included 'Don't wear your 'work clothes' to the interview.'

That's putting it mildly. Good to see him trying to go straight.

Well, everyone he tested it on, at least. So, Humans. What about other sapient life-forms?

Something to be investigated, I suppose. But I doubt it would work on any Apokoliptian who has a God-Name. Their innate resistance to magic would probably work on it.

Not subtle, certainly. Besides the obvious music, that is.

Remarkable. And very, very useful in some cases, I bet.

Man, dude hit the jackpot of exotic science capabilities, didn't he?

What if you commanded your targets to hit themselves? To walk into walls repeatedly? Anything can be lethal, with effort or lateral thinking.

That last one's a bit of a stretch, I'll give him that.

Which would make it far more attractive to police and security applications. Especially if it can be applied to specific people, not a blanket 'sleepy-time' effect that can put an entire city block out...

He's not an idiot, Grayven...

Says the man who dressed in a green cloak and tights and fought the Flash...

Heh. But it does raise an interesting question...

Ignominious? 'Beneath you'? That's the kind of thinking Grayven wants his employees to avoid...

Sounds like he's hired, eh?

...Oh, now what?

"Look, up in the sky!"

The excrement has impacted the rotary cooling device! Repeat...

...Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck... Right timing, wrong timeline!

If not, hide.

Let's hope it can affect Sheeda like it does modern Humans... For all they know, it drives them berserk.

Well... That's happening. I hope Doctor Sivana and anyone working with him have working weaponry ready to go, otherwise, this is going to be bad. We can only hope they aren't setting forth in OL's timeline as well...

Godspeech!

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Looks like it's time for the Harrowing.

Jaron, Lupercal and Cuchulin like this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That or some other invasion.

Though yeah it's most likely a Harrowing.

18. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Needs a full stop.
    Weapons out of subspace and then sword out of subspace. Seems a bit odd. Maybe the second one could be "as I lift my sword".

Mr Zoat, Darko and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Again, I haven't put the level of thought into this that you seem to think I have.
    Thank you, corrected.

20. Z3r0Sama

Z3r0Sama Not too sore, are you?

Would be the perfect time to call in a small army of tank grown rapidly aged Kryptonians. Oh and all those Tamareans, oh and your OLC and maybe possibly Stormwatch since Kara has likely dropped the bombshell you were hamming it up.

Hilariously for being such a dick originally, he still has a lot more allies than the Justice League to call on.

DAT_NOOB, Jaron, Pinklestia and 4 others like this.
  21. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wait, if the Sheeda are actually preforming The Harrowings for resources, why are they using entropic weapons?

But a grand chapter as always Zoat.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Supervillains and lunatics like the Sheeda aren't exactly known for making intelligent decisions.

david, Jaron, Cuchulin and 1 other person like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Because they're really effective.

Given the total volume of the Earth, the relatively tiny amounts of energy being nullified by tactical entropy deployment isn't really significant.

24. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Why are the Sheeda so obsessed with harvesting past Earth for resources? If they have all this fancy hypertech why not just go and Harrow alien worlds instead of keeping all of their eggs in one basket? Just because far future solar system is tapped out doesn't mean other star systems are.

DAT_NOOB, Pinklestia and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They're advanced, but they appear to not have any space travel tech, and the civilizations they raid also lacked it.

Kori also said that some civilizations don't have space travel tech, even if they're technology could theoretically allow them to make it.

Zoat can Kon's Helios given heat vision kill Darkseid?

We know Superman 50 was able to kill Darkseid with his and Kon is much, much, much more powerful in that department, but his heat vision is magical so I was wondering if Darkseid can survive a magical attack like that, even if it's capable of damaging planets?

DAT_NOOB, Jaron, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  26. Agent Orange

So why not loot it? That's how they got their... everything else. They got a time traveling machine that way, why not get a space travelling one?

Really? Because 'present' Earth seems to have like a dozen spaceships squirreled away all over the place. It's like a planet sized stockpile, every single supership/weapon/last of their kind aliens seem to end up there for one reason or the other.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The civilizations they raided probably didn't have those, and if they did the Sheeda may not have known if they weren't mass produced.

Earth 16 technically only had Starmans one ship before renegade started having it mass produced.

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. Agent Orange

And the ancient Thanangrian one, and the kryptonian crystal snowflake one, and the durlan one, and the Maltusian one, and... you get the idea.

edit; are we capitalizing some species' names but not the others?

Jaron, Pinklestia, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Again, they may not have known about these ones existing due to the fact that there weren't dozens of them on the Earth.

They didn't know about that one colony in the ocean, so it isn't like they know everything about the era they are raiding.

The ships were either buried or got destroyed during the raiding.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It was sad that he died, but you can't say that he died without doing something amazing.

He did spend time in Japan with a sex cult so him having tsunderes hounding him makes sense.

They may be resistant to magic, but this appears to be a purely scientific and technological tool, so they may not have as much resistance against this as they would against that whistle OL got from the Dreamkin.

Now I'm wondering if Darkseid can be killed by Paragons Kon's heat vision.

We know Superman 50 managed to kill Darkseid 50 with his heat vision, and Kon is much, much more powerful in that department, but his heat vision is magical, so there may be very, very small chance he could potentially survive it.

Sivana Sr. technically hit that jackpot.

He may not have done that here and just used his tech to control some rats, but someone probably filmed him doing it and he was considered part of the superhero/supervillain community.

"Is it a bird?

"Is it a plane?"

"No you idiots, it's an invasion!"

Well while it's most likely Sheeda it can also be something else like a supervillain attack or an alien invasion.

They may or may not be.

Not everything that happened in one timeline happened in the other timeline.

Paragon Xor for example crashed on Earth and was later recruited by Paul, but in the renegade timeline his prison transport never malfunctioned and he ended up in prison.