1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

doesn't he just have to see if they where reborn then?

Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

A sample size of two is hardly sufficient.

3. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

It can work if the society is at a post-scarcity tech level like the psions are. All the survival basics are handled by automation. I'd almost consider it a likely outcome since in a post-scarcity society there isn't anything stopping the population from acting like those idle rich assholes who do nothing but compete against each other for meaningless status.

Fellow, Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  4. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

i mean, the drow are canonically only still existent because every-time they're hit with a crisis, Lolth violates her alignment/her own preaching and orders them to stop murdering each other for the duration (and she made some incredibly fucked-up changes to their reproductive biology-they full-on get off on their babies murdering each other in the womb as a motivator, coupled with extreme virility/fertiltiy by elven standards)- id say its more like....
    such a society cant exist "naturally" without something in-universe actively propping the entire thing up via force of violence/power-
    given that their fucking sun is trying to eat them in a metaphysical/literal sense, the noble's running this abortion of a civiliseation have to have one fucking HELL of a big stick/boot on their species's throat....

5. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

And Grayven hatches yet another audacious 'plan' hoping to improvise his way through the inevitable almost-fatal injuries. Admittedly, he's got a very good track-record.

Cuchulin and Agent Orange like this.
  6. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

O-kay. But Sheeda most definitely aren't a post-scarcity society. In fact they are the exact opposite of it. Even fucking vikings farmed and fished and stuff between raids. Sheeda subsist on nothing but raids. And zombie kudzu/coral thing covering the planet I guess.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

hmm, maybe the Sheeda rulers keep their subjects under some kind of spell that ensures they don't betray them and rise up.

Gantradies likes this.
  8. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

It might work with copious usage of mind control and compulsions, even if the society isn't post scarcity.

Cuchulin, Darko and Agent Orange like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So kinda like Apokalips with Darkseid dominating the minds of the people with his god powers, but instead the Sheeda are most likely using spells.

Cuchulin and BlueMangoAdea like this.
  10. Agent Orange

They are in cahoots with the Parliament of Fire still squatting in the Sun. They've contracted vampirism somehow and are at fault for this beautiful weather Earth's been having for the past billion years or so.

11. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, Artemis isn't fully adapted to being a goddess yet. Being truly ageless means you might get to see the next Big Bang.

From the inside.

12. Agent Orange

Enough with the lewd please. Think of the children!

13. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

You sick bastard.

14. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

and we have a precedent with the psions and their indoctrination/brainwashing creche's, i suppose- maybe surgical/chemical brain alteration on a species-wide scale to nudge/force each generation (assuming they're even breeding) into the same tendencies/thought patterns?

...though the other big question i have given their use/abuse of TT/temporal tech is how well established/OLD the sheeda as we know them are/is-
    it makes me think of a half-serious theory i have about the Terran's in Star trek online's badlands battle zone-given the casualty/asset destruction rates there, its actually reasonable to suspect that they're save-scumming with their stolen/gifted temporal manipulation tech to remain viable, on a ship by ship basis-
    given that the Sheeda are seemingly going all-in with each Harrowing, how much use/abuse of time manipulation are they using to ensure they keep rolling results given that they're going all-in, win or die out, every time?

...there was something that happened a while back in a warhammer 40k (set between 30 and m40 actually)fic ive been following that crippled shi-who-thirsts that ive been thinking about-
    due to the warp twisting spacetime into a pretzel, the CG in question was essentially running a metaphysical ponzi scheme where as long as there was a effective chance of claiming eldar souls in the future, they could essentially get away with preemptively using the power gained from devouring it before the event (and partly use it to ensure the claiming when they died)-

until something..extremely traumatic happened to a certain, festering pit in the webway that massively reduced the present (and future) dark eldar population,the suffering said psychotic bastards caused AND the power gained from said suffering..... and their powerbase/strength outright started imploding-

given the Sheeda just had one of their time machines destroyed, IF they'd been using it and the (others?) they posses to avert failed harrowings using future knowledge to maintain their rickety grip on power/existance.........

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  15. Threadmarks: Summer's End (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

Shoe
    Shopping

Hm.

The wall around the city outskirts isn't all that impressive, but I can just about make out the shape of humanoids patrolling the wall-walk behind the battlements. They could be Sheeda or zombies; at this distance I can't really tell. From the outlines it looks like their weapons are bows and spears, but that doesn't mean that there aren't more sophisticated ranged weapons up there as well.

We could blitz it, but smashing through it or jumping over it would attract attention. Unless we killed everyone, but that would draw even more attention just a little later. From behind a coral outcrop Artemis and I watch what looks like a minor gate into the city, just in case there are travellers we could bushwhack or a clue we could gather about the structure of this civilisation. Are there other cities? Do they trade with one another? Are there other peoples around such that we could claim to be from elsewhere on this world?

At the moment the universe is not obliging us.

"I could bridge up onto those walls."

"With a bright, rainbow-coloured bridge." I nod my head to the side. "They might appreciate the lightshow so much that they agree not to report us, but I don't want to count on it."

"Can your Mother Box make hush tubes?"

"No." Hm. "I could throw you over. If I got enough height the watchers on the walls wouldn't see you-."

"I could throw you."

I turn my head her way and raise my left eyebrow.

"Could you?"

"Maybe you wouldn't go all the way over…"

I shake my head. "Let's make our way around-."

The gate opens from within. A couple of the people on the top of the wall look down over the inner edge, then go back to their patrol. Artemis and I lean into our cover as… A figure shrouded in robes walks out. They have a… Pole arm? No, a staff, with a ghostly glowing symbol floating just above the uppermost end. Doesn't look like any glyph I recognise. The entryway opens a little wider and… More of the zombie children follow the figure, marching in neat ranks just behind them.

"What are they?"

"Don't… Know."

Four columns of six, neatly marching and staring ahead of them. Not glancing left or right. Tame? Or-. No, the symbol, almost certainly. Control authorisation for a larger spell, whatever's animating them.

The zombherd turns away to our right, but is definitely heading away from the walls. It won't be particularly difficult for us to arrange an ambush…

"I don't suppose that you brought a New God communicator."

"No. You?"

I shake my head. Could use God-speech, but I don't know how good Artemis is with it and there are ways to detect it that don't require the detector to be a New God.

"You sneak better than me."

She nods. "I'll take the lead. You follow."

I nod and she moves laterally relative to the wall, her movements mirroring those of the zombherd while maintaining distance. A True, True Friend-.

I put my right hand over my mouth as I nearly start singing. Confound These Ponies.

I follow Artemis slowly, using the vague 'ping' from my God-senses rather than sight. Can't see much in the murk, though I imagine that the zombherd's staff makes tracking them easier for Artemis. And makes a mess of her night vision, but she's been trained in this since early childhood. Instead of paying too much attention to her, I turn my eyes in the direction of the city, both the walls and higher up where I've seen the shadows of flying creatures pass between me and the lights. If they're Sheeda soldiers mounted on flies they are actually a threat worth paying attention to, lightly equipped as we are. Nothing heading our way just yet, as far as I can see…

I give her… I've never been good at estimating time. Or weight, actually. But she's gotten a decent distance away from me and I assume that the zombherd is further. Carefully making sure to keep myself as concealed from the city as I can I walk carefully down the opposite side of the slope and walk slowly through the murk in her direction. Interesting that between the coral and the… Stuff which appears to grow on its surface there's basically no loose material. Also… Not much wind. That implies… Some sort of windbreak? There would always be patches of ground that would be hotter than others, so differences in air pressure and so air movement. Could the..? Energy draining effect be taking energy from the air? But I'm breathing just fine, so…

I don't know.

Another 'ping' from Artemis as she moves further away, faster than I'm moving as I follow her. I suppose we could send messages like this. Have one party move closer or further in patterns like Morse code. Which she almost certainly knows but which I don't.

I'm a twentieth century man fighting with a huge sword. I shouldn't be surprised about out-of-date skills suddenly becoming relevant again.

A faint.. tremor shakes the ground and has me looking about me for a source. I don't see anything of note and Artemis doesn't appear to be running, so… I don't know. An earthquake wouldn't be a surprise. The Earth's interior should still be at least somewhat dynamic in the future, and while I haven't seen anything man-made that would have made such an impact it could have been an impact from a catapult or.. something along those lines.

Another tremor, this one carrying on for a little while. Okay, my nightmare scenario is a giant charging out of the mists but this shaking doesn't feel right for giant footsteps. I accelerate from a slow walk to a slow stride, still keeping up my awareness of my surroundings while also feeling as strongly as I can for Artemis.

The land begins to descend somewhat, and the surface is… Uneven. Like cracks formed and have partially… Scabbed over. The size of my feet means that I don't have to worry about turning my ankles, but it's the first interesting geological feature I've seen since getting here. Perhaps earthquakes… Are common in this area? Not like we've been here for long enough to know.

I come to the edge of a-.

Oh my.

I'm standing on the edge of a crater. Off to my right I can see Artemis sneaking down into the basin, presumably to get closer to the zombherd. In the centre of the basin, surrounded by piles of displaced rock and earth is a giant… Millipede? Worm? Spider? It's long, thin, and has legs in all directions, though the 'thin' is relative. Its multi-jawed mouth is as least as tall as I am, and I can get a sense of scale because the zombherd is standing just in front of it with… Her staff raised and a different sigil glowing from the head. The creature's eyes are transfixed, and it completely ignores the zombie children as they gnaw at its sides. Is this a… Hunting party? Lure the thing to the surface and then hypnotise it while the children feed? But how are they controlling the children? Are they just locked on to a food source now that they've started eating?

The zombherd steps back and the creature follows, more of its vast body pulling itself out of the ground. That must be the source of the tremors, though obviously if one such creature exists there may well be others. Other than the staff there's no source of light down there so with the zombherd, creature and children all focusing on things Artemis is making good time. In fact, she's-.

She slips in behind the zombherd, presses a coral arrow to their throat and says.. something. The zombherd twitches but the sigil doesn't move. There's no change I can see for a moment, then Artemis pulls the zombherd's hood back and…

Female Sheeda. At least now we know roughly when we are.

Artemis looks around and then makes a beckoning gesture towards me. I nod, draw my daiklave, and with a wary eye on the beast begin my approach.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

maybe remove 'so' and just be 'and air'

Technically twenty first century man.

'feature'

'there may well'

17. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

range -> ranged
    These -> Those (? Not sure, it's probably a reference I don't get.)
    flies -> fliers (? Again, not sure. I don't really know sheeda.)
    graining -> draining
    Nice to know that 'Grayven' still remembers his actual origin.

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Having fun with the timestamps, if nothing else. At least he's trying to keep his spirits up.

At first glance, it looks like a society just above the medieval. Maybe they have cannons hidden, but I suspect such advanced metallurgy might be prone to suffering the same degradation their gear is showing.

I don't think there's anywhere you can claim to be from, Grayven. I doubt Sheeda come in eight-feet-tall, grey and brick-wall-like. If they're time-travelling yet, you could claim to be a slave, but that has its' own problems.

Just one minor, teeny-weeny detail about that, Artemis...

At this point, Mother Box is barely capable of talking. I don't think she's up to it.

:rolleyes: Not unless you somehow got Danner Formula'd while we weren't looking.

What he said. Seriously...

Maybe find a waterway you could swim along? I mean, they have to get water from somewhere. A city this size can't subsist on aquifer wells alone.

A Witch-sign? Looks like one of the guard-dogs' trainers, heading out to replace casualties. So the dogs are likely Grundymen of some kind.

Ah, for some Ring charge. Always fun to see someone shorn of their usual tools. Then you get to see the crafty side of them.

Problem is, there's only one cloak. And I don't think you'll fit under it, Grayven...

"Sorry, I left my universal translator in my other utility belt."

Not hard, given she's not eight feet tall and three feet wide.

Heheh. I see the Harmonising is still having a few after effects... Would be funny if you could just dance-number your way inside...

On the upside, they make one mistake, get too close and you end up with a gun and a mount. They're likely too smart for that, but you can hope...

It is noticably colder than you'd expect it to be. Not quite a nuclear winter, but it could be something close.

Something else you'd rely on your ring for, I suppose. Really, you'd think you'd have at least prepared for a situation like this: No rings, no Mother Box, no backup... Bat-Dad would be disappointed.

"Do we have wormsign, Stilgar?"

The New God equivalent of Sonar, yay. Only works for empowered Nobility, but, hey...

Eh, not naughty enough to deserve a </takei>. Might want to walk without rythym, though. It ain't the sands of Arrakis, but you never know...

"Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!" Also, fascinating ecology, artificial as it is.

Ah, sneaking skills for the win. Sometimes, charging in greatsword first isn't the best way... A lesson some murderhobos adventurers never learn.

I hope she can understand English. Otherwise this interrogation is going to be very awkward.

Now, to see what she has to say, if she can say anything at all. If nothing else, you have a disguise for Artemis. Though I find myself wondering how easy it'll be to bluff her way inside, especially if she can't control the guard dogs...

Godspeech, with some links!

19. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

So, Artemis can hear Godspeech at this point, right?

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ehh, they did have a Box that they stole so their equipment may be able to withstand the degradation around them.

And even if their equipment seems primitive remember that they do have advanced tech and magic, so the spears and swords might be able to make metal seem like butter and they coul be used for casting spells.

Enhanced strength may come with all Awakenings, but I don't know if it's all that much.

If only New Gods had the Allspeak that gods in Marvel have.

Astartes in 40k apparently would go undercover sometimes and used stealth successfully.

Seriously people that were at least eight feet tall would go undercover and do spy work.

And I thought that setting couldn't be stupid enough.

21. Mr Zoat

Modified.
    Born in 1983. Twentieth.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Yes. Yes it is.
    No, they're literally giant flies.
    Thank you, corrected.

22. Agent Orange

Why would zombieherd's gender tell you when you are? Did Sheeda lose all of their (fe)males at some point in their history? Is that why they raid the past? Some 'They Want Our Women' deal going on?
    [​IMG]

23. Joelseph14

Joelseph14 Know what you're doing yet?

It's probably more that it's a Sheeda rather than its gender

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No it just tells them that they're in an era where the Sheeda exist.

As far as they knew they could have come to an era before the Sheeda existed, or after the Sheeda era.

25. Agent Orange

You'd think a bunch of zombies moving about the place would be a bit of dead (heh!) give away that the Sheeda are indeed around.

Cuchulin likes this.
  26. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Not necessarily. Who knows what kind of beings existed before and after the Sheeda?

27. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Should that be zombieherd?

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The renegade probably doesn't know if the Sheeda use zombies.

Hell the only Sheeda related group we've seen use zombies are the Columbians, and that doesn't necessarily mean their Sheeda cousins use them.

29. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Not any more than you call someone who herds sheep a "sheepherd." He's making up a silly word.

30. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Almost singing?

Looks like this will end in HARMONY!