1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Unnecessary line break

Assblaster5000 and SaltyWaffles like this.
  2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So... I guess this means MrZoat is handwaving away the aftereffects of multiple stars exploding in Vega so Grayven can play civilization builder more...

Silveraith and Otto von Saurion like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Pretty much.

The sentence after 'The' should be brought closer.

Probably want to snip at her that she's now ruling genocidal lunatics.

Like watching a car wreck.

As Peacemaker said, who knows why madmen do crazy things.

Though it's women in this case, and it's giant snakes eating people instead of leaving penises around.

Potential for the Citizenry to be destroyed.

Or redirecting them to less psychotic ways.

More Orion rather than Kalibak.

Not surprising, seeing as the queen is immortal.

Remove the "

Good point.

But you should really, really try.

But it can still be about how badly he messed up.

But you're still very stupid.

'is that'

Ahh, the clown man himself.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Celestia's more of a Highfather.

5. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I'm a little surprised The Citzenry is actually listening to Diana. Does this mean there gonna actually try to be better or are biding their time waiting for an opportunity to kill her?

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She did use her god powers on them, so that would explain why they're following her.

7. ZzzSlothzzZ

ZzzSlothzzZ Dystopian Hugs

^That godspeach^ from Scott.

All of a sudden I heard MK:4's FINISH HIM in my head. (Best sounding one imo, not that ive played many later games)

Once I stopped laughing my ass off that was.

Xmaster3000 and Whiteeyes like this.
  8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Huh... I just realized... There goes any chance Grayven had of escaping the Book of Destiny...

Whiteeyes and Otto von Saurion like this.
  9. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, over to the Renegade. Well, then. Are you going to be getting a check-up soon, Grayven? Yes, I know getting Grayven-16's forces settled and under control is important, but so is making sure he isn't lurking in your head somewhere, just waiting for the right trigger to emerge.

Indeed. Anything in the range of 'satisfactory' is high praise indeed from Mr Control Freak. A pity he doesn't have Ratchet and the others to help him mellow out. Maybe throw some pliable Tamaranean ladies at him instead? And I see the Renegade's been keeping the important people appraised of matters.

Well, they do love their combat, whether it be up close and viscera-splattered or pummeling enemy ships form afar...

A recording, I expect, as I honestly doubt Diana would allow anything like this to continue.

Yes, should have put the work in previously, Renegade. But no, you wanted to play 'Sins of a Solar Empire: Vega edition.'

Given your usual approach beforehand, it's probably reduced your opposition to it.

Not like he would have known any more about them than you do. I suspect their encounter was random chance: His fleet comes along during a harvest, Astarte gets a tingle in her loins, next thing you know...

Since I doubt Grayven would remember meeting some pissant warlord on some minor world alongside his Father. Assuming that even happened in this timeline. And I suppose Diana would say 'so they can be remembered', concerning studying the Citizenry's history of harvests...

Presumably he employed the Orrery to settle down the stars Grayven-16 fiddled with, or threw Orange Lanterns at them until they got them stabilised... Meanwhile: Yes, terraforming is harder than it sounds. Nor is it in any way quick, without cosmic powers, anyway.

Hmm... Using the Citizenry as disposable, deniable mercenary assets in the Reach conflict?

They're already warlike, Diana. At least working with the Controllers, they'd have someone with a big stick and a bigger carrot to run herd on them.

Indeed, Diana. You can't spend all your life playing superhero. Someday, sooner or later, you're going to have to learn to rule things. Nothing is eternal...

...Not even your mother. I'm sure someday she'd like to be able to step down in favour of you, retire to a little farm, and enjoy the rest of her long life. Perhaps with a certain general in tow.

Probably a lot better than leaving her as she is, because she... She is not remotely the kind of person you want to let live, really. But since you won't take the sensible option...

Heh. Reminds me of all the stories where stuff Humanity takes for granted turn out to be exotic or outright prohibited in the rest of the galaxy. Like adrenaline.

Oooh... Be glad you won't be working on it, then, Diana, because that is what you call a project.

Yes, well. Perhaps you could find a suitably pliable candidate amongst the Citizenry's leaders who would carry on your policies, and hand the throne over to them... But I suspect that would not end well.

...That's one hell of a gap year. Now why do I see Donna finding a place here, more than she ever might on Earth?

"I hope you weren't referring to yourself, dear."

Heh, nice burn. And telling that you've made the New God of Freedom consider giving someone some restraint...

Yes, the nature of being a pigheaded fool who blunders through things and comes up smelling of roses more often than he does of fertilizer most of the time... I'd say maybe you need some time off, but the whole 'Grayven' thing's not going to make that easy anytime soon.

"To be frank, you are a mess. I don't know how your Mother Box keeps you from falling apart..."

Oh, that's not good. I mean, sure, he's got a power-up out of the whole ordeal, but...

To be fair, I doubt what little of the power Grayven-16 held is anywhere near as potent as what Darkseid commands...

...What if it comes with the risk of letting out Grayven-16's essence with it? And anything that makes you more like Darkseid? That's never a good thing.

Engh. That doesn't sound like the best idea. Having it out and about means someone could take the container from you.

And Darkseid might notice a chunk of Omega Effect being Harmonised out of existence just a bit more easily than He did a bit of Anti-Life.

No, just that Scot's never seen it before. Or knows anyone who has. That doesn't mean someone out there knows some tricks about the Omega Effect...

Indeed. Going to the one New God who might as well be God of Curiosity might not end well. And even if he doesn't play you in hopes of finding out something new, you may find the answers he gives you to be more than you wanted...

Oh, boy. Metron. His Pre-Flashpoint comics version, for added context. Known well for his constant curiosity and complex plans to learn all the things. Some of which don't pay out for millions of years. And I have no doubt he will be very interested in learning about the Renegade's... Unique circumstances and soul structure. This... Will be interesting in every sense of the word.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I doubt he's all that into one night stands and he may want a woman that can intellectually challenge him.

Though he may get together with Komand'r.

She not as smart as him but she's looking for a husband to increase her prestige and I doubt Dox gas all that good taste in women, so he may be crazy enough to get togetherwith her.

I don't think it did.

Also so she can see just what she's working with.

He's a Paul.

It's to be expected.

If he's like he was in the series then he may be more interested in seeing how renegade deals with Omega Effect without helping him.

11. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

There are at least two types of sculpting: constructive, where you add to the medium you're working with; and destructive, where you remove material from what you're working with.

You can create with tools that can only remove, in my belief.

12. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

13. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

At least not that kind of stupid.
    Part of me would be just a tiny bit excited that I could do the pew pew eyes for real now.

14. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

A human who became like a New God, got infected by Anti-Life, went on a quest to regain his humanity, then ate a New God, then purified himself from the Anti-Life, then was eaten by a New God only to come back and gain control of his body with the help of his allies.

Yes, Metron will be very interested.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think he ever ate a New God before.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  16. Hotcoco

Hotcoco Making the rounds.

Anyone know the chapter that the whole hera getting divorced form Zeus happened..

Silveraith and Doccer like this.
  17. Chatios

Chatios Getting some practice in, huh?

18. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Wait if what Paul said isn't what caused Flash to freak out and kill the Sheeda queen what did?

19. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Don't forget the Pony Magic!
    Metron will likely give up alot to learn something that doesn't exist in any DCverse!

Cuchulin likes this.
  20. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

"Of".

"She'd".

21. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

He ate the other Grayven, and this one ate him.

Cuchulin and Whiteeyes like this.
  22. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

These two quotes epitomize what I've come to love so much about Grayven and his path. In the last five years I've been regularly reading WTR, this has easily been in my top five chapters. Well done Mr Zoat, well done indeed.

Also I hope Donna finds herself in this little gap year and establishes herself more. Ah who am I kidding, I'm just happy she gets something to do.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ahh the previous Grayven he met he just killed, he didn't eat him.

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Himon.

25. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

He used Anti-Life to kill the other one so... we don't really know what the heck happened unless the Author says so.

Whiteeyes likes this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He actually stabbed him through the eye with the Sword of the Fallen.

He did expose him to the Equation previously, but it didn't stick.

Grayven has had exposure to it before and has some resistance.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  27. Threadmarks: A Waltz in Orange and Green (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

10th September 2012
    11:23 GMT

"briefly studied Hobbes, but I certainly don't share his take on human nature."

I take a sip of the water Wallace fetched for me when I said that I didn't drink alcohol on duty. Naturally, Leviathan was the one book on political philosophy that Lord Malvolio brought with him from Earth. It perfectly reflects the politics of the era he's from and… It explains certain things about his Sector.

"No? Mine own experiences bear out the brutal barbarity of his beliefs. I reign as autocrat, and when banished, existence in mine empire became nasty, brutish and short."

"That's a product of the lack of direction. You had no heir, had made no succession arrangements and left them being ruled by a structure that couldn't operate without you. They had no way to resolve their differences without changing the system that you set in place, and their ideology wouldn't allow them to do that. So it became more and more dysfunctional until it broke down completely."

"And your suggested remedy is that I should beget an heir?"

"The succession doesn't need to be to a biological descendant. Roman Emperors designated their successors. Greek City-States would elect them. The important thing is that there's a process generally seen as legitimate that can put someone into office. If your followers had a mechanism for selecting a regent… You know them better than me. Would that have worked?"

"How could I trust a regent to remain virtuous?"

"Indoctrination. European history contains any number of wealthy men who chose to give up their worldly goods and join monasteries rather than live lives of self indulgence. Your followers were willing to kill and die for what they believed to be your will, even without you there to enforce it. Do you really believe that none of them could be relied upon to remain honest?"

"Is that how manners are managed in the Orange Lantern Corps?"

"No. That wouldn't work for us. An Orange Lantern is motivated by their desires. Instilling formal discipline at the age at which we recruit them wouldn't really work. Rather, we recruit not merely people with strong desires, but who genuinely desire to perform pro-social actions with them. Ideally, we'll get to a point where I don't need to keep an eye on everyone, I'll be able to trust them to do what I want by doing what they want."

"But for now?"

"We select people whose sense of self-worth is tied to their martial achievements or people who want to destroy our enemies. Our leader is a man whose strongest desire is to display his genius as an administrator and strategist."

"You do not lead?"

"I wouldn't do as good a job. My ego isn't tied up in having people follow my orders. I want to teach and guide, so that's what I do. If Dox dropped dead tomorrow it would be my job to find a replacement, but I just don't have the right desire set or skills to take it on in the longer term myself."

"And if your own self suffered a mortal injury?"

"Ah… The last couple of times that happened, it didn't stick. But if it did, then Dox would have to find someone similar to me to replace me. There would be a loss of skill in the role -I'm very good at what I do- but I'm not essential to the Orange Lantern Corps. And neither's he, and… If all of the senior Orange Lanterns died, Controller Hinon could take over. If every Orange Lantern died tomorrow, the Controllers would remake the Corps based on what we have built. It wouldn't be ideal, but it would work. We're not unified by a hierarchy of power and punishment, but by shared ideals."

"Is that at odds with how the Green Lanterns who serve the Guardians conduct their affairs?"

"Yes. The Guardians rule the Green Lantern Corps. For the most part they set only broad objectives, but their authority is unquestioned and their numbers are slowly decreasing. They are either unwilling or unable to either make more Guardians or pass command authority to others."

"And thus guarantee that in time they will suffer their own crisis of succession."

"Something like that. I imagine that if they vanished their Clarissi would take over with the support of their Honour Guard, but there would still be fairly major problems because they don't train Lanterns to do the things that they do."

"To what things do you refer?"

"Diplomacy. Green Lanterns don't get training in interstellar relations, and wouldn't have the authority of the Guardians even if they did. The pacts that grant Green Lanterns lawful authority across the galaxy would not be maintained or expanded. Green Lanterns also can't forge their own rings or personal lanterns."

"Not one of them?"

"It's a very rare ability, requiring total focus over a prolonged period of time. And then you don't necessarily get a particularly good one; forging is a difficult skill to learn. In the Orange Lantern Corps we have one man who can reliably do it, and he earnestly wants to destroy the entire universe. I can create orange personal lanterns, but so far only ones of very low quality."

A frown.

"What manner of man wishes to destroy creation?"

"A Qwardian Weaponer. Their culture was founded by… I don't think it's technically a god, but a being who wanted to destroy all creation, convert it into energy and absorb it. The Weaponers consider creating weapons and destroying things to be a sacred duty. I arranged for him to be employed because he'll do less harm working for us where we can see him rather than leaving him to his own devices."

"You could slay him."

"Then who would make our rings if the Controllers decide not to work with us? As I said, it's an uncommon skill. And now that I've accepted him, I don't think it would be right to kill him without evidence that he's fallen back on bad habits."

He nods.

"An inconsistent sovereign's word counts for little. Tell me, are there rings of avarice outside of your control?"

"Probably. Due to one of the actions I look against the first Orange Lantern, rings were scattered across the galaxy. There's almost no way for me to know whether or not we managed to recover them all, and there have been a couple of occasions in which I've been called in to deal with their recipients."

"And how did you treat with them?"

"Some were bandits, and I dealt with them as I would with any other bandit. Some were driven mad by their ring, and I dealt with them as I would any other madman. And some had mastered their ring. Those I offered a position in our Corps."

"Did those in the latter group all accept?"

"So far, but it's not a large sample."

"What would you do if they declined?"

"Depends. Are they doing anything I strongly disapprove of?"

"Let us say that you do disapprove, but not strongly."

"I'd have a discussion with them and sound them out, give them advice on how to remain sane while using an orange ring, but I wouldn't take the ring by force in that situation."

"You would not impress them?"

"I don't own the orange light. It's a part of every purposive being in the universe. I have no claim to it in its entirety."

"Do you believe that the Guardians of Oa feel as you do?"

"No, but they do think very long term. They were content to ignore Alan Scott for decades. May I ask why you're asking?"

"I have affirmed my intent to resolve my troubles in one; both to anoint an heir and secure my Sector. I shall do so by seeking men capable of wielding will, and by my own skill strike rings to make their authority."

"Good luck with that, but I think that the Guardians did something to make that impossible?"

"Is a thing already achieved impossible?"

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  28. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Is this going to be the start of a Malvolio Green Lantern Corps? Similar to the Poglachian Green Lantern Corps, they'd be Green Lanterns who are independent of the main GLC but actually competent.

29. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

He’s going to make his own Green Lantern Corps? The Guardians would be extremely pissed.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'reign as an'

'to be a'

though this creates the possibility of a tyrannical theocratic government.

That may not be the case.

They didn't exactly like that you made them give up some control and they'll most likely increase it if you were gone.

I remember Ragnarokascendant saying that in his fic the Guardians can't breed and can't make replacements.

Given the amount of enemies they've had it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that one of them may have made it impossible for them to make new Guardians.

Though he'd also like to destroy the multiverse if possible.

A madman.

Dox mentioned a Controller was working on draining their power.

'with them'

You may want to elaborate on how you deal with madmen.

Malvolio's time wasn't all that known for compassion.

Now this is a good question.

What would you do to a Lantern that hasn't been driven insane but is still commiting horrible acts?

Presumably you'd either kill them or lock them up.

Though you do have a good relationship with the one that can be said to own it.

Yeah I remember Kalmin mentioning this.

So he's made his own ring.