1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Threadmarks: A Waltz in Orange and Green (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

10th September 2012
    18:27 GMT

"Lanterns dismissed, Lord Malvolio, thank you, you've been a most courteous host and I'll be happy to entertain you if you're ever near Earth or-"

I grab and subspace my personal lanterns.

"-Maltus, excuse me."

I step out, the desire to be ruled by Lord Malvolio

being somewhat distinctive and limited to one region.

"Illustres to WHATEVER IDIOT JUST DECIDED TO PICK A FIGHT WITH LORD MALVOLIO I HOPE YOUR LIFE INSURANCE IS UP TO DATE."

Right, I got a reasonable map update last time I was in the area, though I've got no idea where Priest was hiding out or what changes have happened since. Ships… They're not posing near their internal borders any longer, but patrolling the entire region as a unified navy.

He's really brought the region together.

The void that there used to be around the system he was imprisoned in is gone, but I'm detecting something not too different around… Oh, that's a bit mean. A desolate system whose most interesting feature is what appeared when I scanned it to be the remains of a broken-up super-Earth. Now there's a huge green barrier around the whole thing that looks like it's on fire.

Ring, find me whoever it is that's taking the piss.

"Urine-extractors found."

And of course it's a squad of Green Lanterns.

"I know you people received my first message. Lord Malvolio knows that you're here and he's heading back."

Two I don't recognise. One is a standard pattern humanoid male who has somehow combined a Mohican with a pony tail. There's a treeman along with Apros and…

Of course they sent him.

"Guy Gardner pick up your gosh darn ring."

In the distance I see Guy look around, though the light I'm emitting won't reach him for days and my tattoos will prevent his ring picking me up.

Then his face appears over my ring.

"Hey Paul. What's up?"

"I was having a pleasant conversation with Lord Malvolio, learning all about his future plans and how he can make Central Power Batteries, and then he got a message that someone was trying to burgle him."

"This ain't a burglary. It's a prison break."

"Guy, Lord Malvolio heard about this when I did. He's heading back now."

"And?"

"And he punched Jordan through one side of a planet and out of the other. He can make Central Power Batteries."

"Can he make crumblers?"

"His ring doesn't have AI support, so probably not. On the other hand he definitely can lock you in an inescapable prison the size of a star system."

"You got out."

"Priest -the man you're trying to gaol-break- built that prison. Lord Malvolio built the one now imprisoning him."

"So?"

"And that's assuming that he doesn't flat out kill you."

"He couldn't kill Lantern Priest."

"He decided not to kill Lantern Priest because he owed him and felt grateful that Priest didn't leave him in Salford to work out the ring for himself. Guy, has the Green Lantern Corps attempted diplomacy?"

"We can try that ahftah we've got our guy back."

"No, no you can't, because that's the Green Lantern Corps announcing that they don't care about borders or cooperation agreements and are fine with declaring war on an entire Sector."

"Just Malvolio."

"Do you know what his popularity rating around here is?"

"I dunno. Like, five percent or som-."

"More like ninety five. Maybe higher."

"Sinestro had 'bowt a hundred percent. Right up 'til Hal kicked his keister."

"Sinestro had maybe thirty percent and controlled all media. I'm an empath. You think I can't see how many people want Malvolio ruling them?"

Guy sighs.

"Wha'd'yah want me t'do, Paul?"

"Approach Lord Malvolio directly and negotiate for Priest's release."

"You saying we should trade fer him?"

"Lord Malvolio ruled this Sector when Priest trapped him. I'm fairly sure that's a crime. The Guardians didn't send a team to break Jordan out of prison when he got locked up for drunk driving, did they?"

"That ain't tha same thing."

"Okay, what's the difference?"

"Hal didn't murder a Green Lantern first."

"Lord Malvolio says that he thought the man was a demon. And given when he did it, that's a pretty credible explanation. And it was four hundred years ago. And it's not like the Green Lantern Corps hasn't recruited people who've killed -and eaten- other Lanterns before."

"I didn't hire Chummuck, but Chummuck's got with the program. He didn't conquer a Sector an' he didn't murder anyone. And I don't negotiate with terrorists."

"The Green Lantern Corps on the other hand negotiated with the Psions, the Reach, Larfleeze, the Manhunters and me when I was joined with the Ophidian. Could you not at least try talking to him before starting a war?"

"Paul, it-." Guy pauses, and looks at me quizzically. "You sayin' you ain't on our side?"

"If Lord Malvolio declares war on the Green Lantern Corps, the Orange Lantern Corps would be neutral. If you're out of action but not killed I'd evacuate you without your ring, but that's-"

"Oh, thanks."

"-all I can do. Compared to what the Reach or the Spider Guild do every day, Malvolio ruling One Six Three Four is a non-iss-."

"Warning! Will detected!"

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  2. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

"Well, I tried. Ring?"

"Transmuting salt, butter, and explosively desiccated corn."

3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I kinda want to hear more stories of people killing Green Lanterns, taking their rings, and becoming the new Lanterns of their sector, if only because Chummuck's story has been repeated a few times already. Also, that should say 'killed'.

4. Ej190

Ej190 Making the rounds.

Oh boy, this is gonna get ugly

5. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Oh Guy you absolute twatwaffle.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'got a reasonable'

'changes'

The guy that can inspire fear in others.

They may have sent hom to disrupt Malvolio's concentration.

One of the few that may be able to fight Malvolio and win.

I'm guessing we're going to be seeing some Green Light tricks from him.

Though Jordan wasn't as strong as Guy.

Everyone loves you until you fall.

Also, you're missing a " at the end.

I remember Chip mentioning him before.

Time for the shit show.

7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And here we have Paragon showing once more that he's an utter idiot when it comes to diplomacy...

8. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, best to head off any situation that could send the Green demigod on a rampage. To be fair, if Malvolio does get his hands on whoever this is, it could probably qualify as a bizarre suicide attempt...

Hmm... I wonder how closely Malvolio was watching OL's little trick. He may well be able to pull a Goku and copy it...

Amazing what fear of a mightier power can do. Or simply veterans recognising him, if the lifespans involved are long enough.

Yeah, that's a pretty clear beacon of 'Something Important Here'. Now, to find out who's poking it.

...I know it's being literal and overly verbose, but damn if it isn't cute sometimes...

Methinks they're pointedly ignoring you, OL. Must be someone who's worked with you before...

Good lord, some of DC's character designs. I'm amazed someone hasn't tried something like that hairdo in real life... :p The Ultimate Mullet.

Welp. The Guardians are clearly trying to trigger a war, aren't they? Guy hasn't a diplomatic bone in his body...

Don't play coy with OL, Guy...

Potahto, potayto. Which way do you think the demi-elemental who's no doubt on his way back right now will see it?

Seriously, Guy, you are not normally this dumb. Did you actually read Malvolio's files, or ask Jordan about it?

...Admittedly, asking Jordan about it might explain the attitude. About the only impression Malvolio made on him was with his fists, after all. And at that level of power, he won't need crumblers to break constructs.

Oh, so you did talk to Jordan. Did he not impress upon you the sheer power of the man you're ticking off?

Think about that for a second, Guy. Malvolio is hundreds of light-years from here. The prison construct is still active. Consider what kind of focus that takes...

No, he chose not to. There's a big difference. Would you try to kill Hal or John in an outright fight?

Given Priest's level of control, I suspect he's only still in there because he wants to be, Ring or not.

Who rules the Sector. Do the math, Guy. Your ring can help if you need it to.

...Is Guy usually this much of an asshole about this stuff? You'd think he'd tap into the local data networks to check, at least.

Given that saying you didn't like Sinestro's rule would likely get the police looking your way, can you blame them?

Maybe you should learn to use empathic vision a little more, Guy, if you can. It might head off misunderstandings like this...

Because he's presumably under Guardian Orders at this point. There's probably not a lot of wriggle room about 'Retrieve Lantern Priest and capture the despot who defeated him.'

Admittedly, there's a whole magnitude of difference involved. Especially in the Guardian's eyes. Hal was arrested, (presumably) tried and sentenced in accordance with local laws... Malvolio, well...

...Honestly, I'm surprised OL isn't still making his way there right now. Did he stop mid-flight to argue?

Because apparently, 'Overcome Great Fear' has a lot of loopholes concerning criminal activities...

And if you're not seeing a connection, think 'big scary person or polity that can match the Guardians in open war...'

And be very polite to Malvolio about it, presumably. 800-pound gorilla, remember...

Now, Incoming Malvolio, outgoing Priest, or one of Guy's squad deciding to take matters into their own manipulators?

I thought Guy would be smarter about things like this. Read the files, ask around the Corps, maybe check on the locals before diving in... Guess we didn't know as much as we thought. o_O...Or might Guy be sporting a new ring? At any rate, let's hope he isn't too obnoxious about what happens next, because things might get a bit violent...

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Guy can be pretty dumb and dense sometimes.

And any files he would have read would come from the Guardians or Jordan, people who would be biased against Malvolio either due to disliking him or only seeing his bad side.

He can be a massive asshole.

He may not be able to use it.

Paul can do it but his soul is made of his particular light while Guy's is just very well aligned to it so he may not have the same powers as Paul.

He loves to talk, even when it's inconvenient.

Especially when it's inconvenient.

To be fair, the Guardians may think that they can take on Malvolio.

And they wouldn't be all that wrong.

Malvolio is strong, but I doubt he's an entire Lantern Corps strong like Larfleeze.

And while he has the power of an entire Sector at his beck and call, the technology from there is probably not all that advanced, so he can't equal the Guardians there like the Reach, Psions and Manhunters could.

10. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

11. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

The catch being, this isn't an entire Lantern Corps.

This is four Lanterns.

Who are about to have a glowing green platter construct shown to them, on which to have their asses handed.

12. Coltsguy

Coltsguy Colts fan. Anime fan. Breast and back fan.

Reeeally hope Malvolio doesn't think Paul was trying to distract him.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

But these aren't average Green Lanterns.

At least two of them are Honour Guard and one of them is the Host of Ion.

They do have a fair chance of beating Malvolio.

Silveraith, ChestBurster and sagemo like this.
  14. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Welp, this is what happens when you exclusively recruit the most stubborn and bull-headed people in the galaxy.
    They decide that they can attack a foreign sector and free a criminal who attacked the foreign head of state, and then negotiate afterwards.

Seriously, the GLC doesn't have a diplomatic branch?
    I guess this is a side-effect of trying to police the entire galaxy while not actually ruling the whole galaxy. You get the impression that your rules are the only ones that matter when it counts.

I doubt it. The Justice League couldn't take him. Guy and three jobbers haven no chance.
    Unnamed Green lanterns might as well be speedbumps.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not really.

The League wasn't trying to beat him, they were trying to escape.

And it was only a few members, not the whole League.

Also at least two of the Lanterns, Guy and Apros, are Honour Guard, as in top tier Lanterms.

And I'm betting the other two are also Honour Guard.

We've seen the type of damage Lanterns can dish out, so these guys are very very powerful.

Guy is also able to bond with Ion, so if he does that then there's no telling what can happen.

The possibility of Malvolio also bonding exists, but it may also be possible that Ion would regard him like the Ophidian regards Larfleeze.

Not to mention any potential techniques Guy has learned.

Also Malvolio may have the same problem that Astarte had.

Lack of strong enemies.

The dude's been locked up for centuries without all that much fighting aside from a few occasions, while the likes of Guy and the other three have probably been fighting extremely difficult opponents for years or even decades.

Even if they lose the battle I doubt they'd be just speedbumps.

16. Rockinalice

Rockinalice Versed in the lewd.

So question do we know what power level these version of the Guardians are at when the are taking things seriously and going all out because i dont know if Mr.zoat has ever said?

I know that more then a few times in the comic they are under the warf effect and other times they are bullshit powerful

Since Mr.zoat has maltus in this story i was wondering are their any Maltusian/Controllers/Guardians that have specialized in Combat instead of science like most do

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Renegade mentioned that they're able to destroy planets using their willpower.

Cuchulin, Silveraith and ChestBurster like this.
  18. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Guy is treating this as cops and robbers. Paul is treating it as international politics.

Be interesting to know if the Guardians actually have anything to do with this. By the sound of it Guy and some other Lanterns decided that This Will Not Stand on their own initiative.

19. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

He was in the Ophidian? :p

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

21. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

I'm mostly worried about Guy getting desperate and whipping out his big green...whale.

c3qo, Lord Ernest and moralrelativity like this.
  22. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Larfleeze used the Orange Central Power Battery as his personal battery.

And that's a damn good question, which is why unlike Zoat I don't like that interpretation.

Especially since by DC canon the rings can be charged with different energies, including different emotional energy.

Wetbananas and Doccer like this.
  23. Rockinalice

Rockinalice Versed in the lewd.

Do we know what atrocious is doing at this time? because i know the Renegade made a Red ring which you think he would notice since he does use blood magic for Prophecy/Divination/Scying and portals but i know hes a thing in the Red paul path so i was wondering if anyone knows if Mr.zoat has said anything about him in the two Main Paths

24. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Alas Guy has a habit of defaulting to the chowderhead school of thought.
    Just be grateful powergirl isn't here or his IQ would drop like a stone and he'll be making bazoomba comments knowing full well it pisses her off.

It's not war it's a police action and the Guardians don't really care, hell I think some of them intentionally removed their ability to care.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat once mentioned that Atrocitus may show up in year 6.

If this is still true then I guess he's either still imprisoned or is hiding and building up his power.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  26. Mr Zoat

Yes, Atrocitus and the other Inversions are still on Ysmault.

27. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

The Guardians have a habit of doing stuff like this so it wouldn't surprise if they ordered this. Plus I don't think Guy or any other lanterns knew about Priest beforehand so them rushing in to save him means they needed to be told about him.

28. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Then what are they made out of?

29. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Well, there’s still time so if I might make a suggestion?

Turn the other Inversions into real characters, people, instead of mere nameless aliens sacrificed for the Red central power battery. I vaguely recall you saying before Atrocitus isn’t inclined to use “the weapons of his enemies” (lantern rings) so… if the “demons” don’t die to Atrocitus’ blind rage, then they have a chance.

I could see at least one of the Inversions having a lot in common with Superman from Injustice.

30. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

???

moralrelativity likes this.