1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

2. quietwhile

quietwhile Getting out there.

In my headcanon what was said about powerful lanterns actually means that everybody suffers from this to some degree. In the sense that souls naturally interact one another and a powerful lantern has such relation to its light that it shines through their souls and colors everyone else's souls around them.

Okay, but bear with me
    He had no soul, and he needed one
    He realized that desire by way of tattoos that fed on ambient magic, and through that process he got a soul made out of avarice

What I'm saying is that this feeding on ambient magic, rather than that being the mere mechanism of getting enough energy to form a soul, it IS the 'core' of his orange snakey soul and not something external to it. In this sense he really is kin to the ophidian, and it makes sense that he'd special to her in a way that no one else would and could ever be because the core of their souls are whatever they are born with.

But ofc this is just my own headcanon.

3. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

And with him being infected to such a degree by ambient energy means the times others show noticable signs of infections he should be so completely infected as he was when he dumped his girlfriend. TOTAL PERSONALITY SHIFT.

4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yea, not sure why he thought that would work when it didn't the last five times he tried it...

Doccer likes this.
  5. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

it's

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

7. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

So, I have $5/pounds on the “think things through” effect not being weaponised/an intentional attack, but a “gift” from Sparta’s sponsor intended to force Her to actually think past “blind insane rage murder death kill!”

8. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

I'm actually getting frustrated at this random insult thesaurus that this guy has going on. Good writing!

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  9. Threadmarks: Sungate (part 27)
    Mr Zoat

11th September 2012
    20:20 GMT

Warning: low power. Nineteen percent-

Already?!

-remaining. … Yes.

Give me the spear anyw-
    Expunge!
    Alert!

-ay!

The shot blasts through my construct armour as I manage to partially evade by inverting, causing it to hit my legs rather than my chest. Armour's melted and flesh…

Ah…

I didn't really like walking anyway. Okay, this is shaping up to be difficult and I'm on more of a time limit. But I don't need to win. I just wanted to ensure that the battleship was destroyed outright rather than just being crippled. I could head for the New Cronus or Minosyss itself, hide and recharge.

Or I could hide in the battleship while this New God wannabe shoots it apart from the inside. Sounds actionable.

Speed and rearward shield. No point in evasive action if she can hit me anyway. Don't want to waste power on healing my legs when they're not essential.

Shot to the rear and the construct vanishes. The New God is falling behind a little as they try to maintain separation. They haven't realised where I'm heading-. No, they've angled their body and they're accelerating, trying to keep the distance down so that I can't dodge fully. Given current time-to-impact-
    Die!
    Alert!

-I could-. Yes, dodge the next one fully so as to not waste power. Right, attach myself to the spear and wait for the pursuer to commit. Passing out from behind the cruiser now and there's some fire, but I'd guess that they know that one of theirs is in close proximity and they don't want to risk hitting them.

Not that Apokoliptian, then. Might be possible to negotiate a settlement at the end of this-

Alert!

-then.

I dodge, the shot going wide and hitting the battleship in the undamaged portion of the underside.
    No!
    I can almost hear my assailant hesitate in shock as the shot penetrates and blasts a furrow in the outer armour. Good, yes, just a little-.

The small turrets on their armour open fire, biting at my rear-mounted shield. But they're nothing like as powerful as the main gun, and the construct remains reasonably solid. Seeing this, they retract them and pour more power into their thrusters in order to close the distance. I dart around a detached armour plate from the battleship and use a construct ram to send it careering towards them, on the off-chance that their commitment to pursuit means that they can't dodge effectively. I doubt that'll be the case, but-.

Incoming fire from the surviving flak turrets on this part of the battleship's hull, but it's sporadic and not particularly accurate. Something got damaged during the ram, and if I'm very lucky then it was something fundamental to the operation of the ship. Based on the snapshot I saw of its internal systems I don't think that it was, but I don't know how their internal power system oper-.

Behind me, the New God cleaves the hull plate in two with the sword blade now projecting from their gun barrel. And they're gaining on me.

Okay, okay, construct impeller and.. aim for that still-functional flak turret, firing every two seconds, line up and dodge!

And the New God batters the shot away with their new sword, and the gun stops firing a moment later. Alright, if you don’t want to shoot… Two railguns, load-

Warning: low power. Seventeen percent remaining.

-crumbler rounds and fire one of them at each target.

Compliance.

The gun pointing at the ship's hull opens fire at once, the rounds striking the hull and chewing a circle in the armour. No exotic defences functioning, at least not in this part of the ship. The gun firing at the New God tracks for a second before shooting. They see the shots coming somewhat and go to parry with their sword. But the sword is more than a little unwieldy and the gun is rapidly traversing to aim shots at every part of their body. Some get through, causing the tron lines on their armour to glow turquoise as it works to resist the damage.

The New God responds by cutting thrust and making their armour grow thicker and harder, which renders my shots ineffective but allows me to pull away further and-

Heavy construct armour!

-smash through the partially crumbled section of hull armour and into the interior of the battleship. Looking to my right I can see the cracking internal armour and flickering lights, while looking to my left… Doesn't look much better, but that is the direction the more intact parts of the ship is in.

Right, fly that way, hold up Larfleeze's ring because it's least useful and chant.

My personal lantern appears next to me from subspace.

"This is my cause, this-"

My construct armour dims.

Warning: low power. Nine percent remaining.

Because it's not counting the combined charge across the two rings. Talk faster.

"-ismyfight,
    Shinethroughthevoidwithorange-."
    Seek The Heart!
    Alert!

I throw myself at the ceiling, the New God's shot punching through the hull and missing me by millimetres! Well! Sort of what I wanted!

"-light,
    I'veclaimedallwithinmy-"
    Hit Him You Stupid Gun!
    "-sight,
    Tokeepwhatismine-"

Alert!

GAH!

That hit, armour… Ah, basically gone on my left side, along with my arm-. I grab my detached hand and the ring upon it with my right hand, my construct armour failing as I lose the connection.

"Thatismyright!"

An orange beam connects the ring to my personal lantern. No AI assistance in Larfleeze's ring, but I can create a shield to cover my left as I… Gunnery compartment, this is where the main guns retract into when not in use. I head deeper into the gunnery compartment. And… Can't really heal myself with Larfleeze's ring, but I can create construct legs and a construct arm to go with the shield. And I also can't replace my equipment because I keep all of that in the subspace pocket associated with the ring Hinon made for me.

Move further in, and… The gun isn't designed to point inwards for obvious reasons, but with a few constructs that.. I can't create using Larfleeze's ring, I can pull it off its runners while keeping it plugged in, and bypass the targeting lockouts. Or I could shoot the second cruiser through the hull. Need to recharge the other ring first, but that won't take long.

"This is my-"

Alert!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  10. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Quite a few little Godspeech asides courtesy of the Ascendant foe:

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'to hit'

Silver lining and all that.

'they try'

'send it'

'they're committed'

Or

'their commitment'

You don't have to say the chant, just put the ring on the Lantern.

Again, not necessary.

12. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Hit Him You Stupid Gun!

It's not guns killing people...

And it's trying it's best, okay? Okay???

Why did he recharge Larfleeze' ring first though?

I also like the idea of hiding in the Battleship. Every fight will damage enemy territory.

13. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Thanks. Appreciate you posting these.

14. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

This godling has homing attacks. A Lantern’s ring is a good target, severing it from the owner is a decent tactic. So Paul put the weaker ring in the line of fire rather than his useful one.

15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, think about it. You've been burning charge like crazy in combat, and those thruster constructs can't have been cheap. On top of the issues you had down below, and the presumed cost of channelling stolen divine energy into the New God Weaponry... That'd burn charge faster than feeding on it, certainly.

Whoops, don't forget you've still got this jackass on you, OL.

...Why can I suddenly smell bacon? :p

Problem is, that leaves you very visible and vulnerable. Not just to gun-dummy here, but also to every ship in Sparta's fleet still paying attention.

Especially with such low charge. Much more expenditure and you're going to lose flight.

Bet Gun-dummy is feeling like they're chasing a cockroach right now. A very agile, annoying cockroach.

Or they could just be afraid of any punishment, whether from the Gun-dummy themself (if they survive the hit) or from their immediate superior...

Focus, OL. Can't negotiate if you're dead again. Admittedly, under these circumstances it might well stick this time. And I rather doubt Hades would be pleased about the situation when you come up before him...

Well, I did say they might get angry enough to not check their backstop... Though evidently it's not as potent against friendlies as it is against OL...

And sod me if this fight isn't turning a little Gundam-esque with all this flying about... Especially with the Gun-Dummy's combo of Beam rifle and defensive guns...

Heh, taking a leaf out of newer depictions of Megatron, eh? That's one way to handle close combat with a beam weapon, though.

Careful, OL. Watch that energy use...

Still, I suppose his Enlightenment does make it easier on the charge usage. Any other Orange Lantern in the Corps would probably have burnt their charge long before this point...

That distraction might just give you the opening to haul ass, OL. Get on it!

And they've pulled out the blood magic buff. goddammit!

:confused: Um, has it become such a habit to perform the oath now that you've forgotten to how charge without it? Or are you simply not taking chances with that disruption thing?

Might need to go a bit quicker, OL.

Part of the area-effect disruption, I suppose. He's really going to have to get back to basics now.

And Gun-dummy is still in pursuit. Let's hope they don't have x-ray vision...

...Be very glad you didn't get hit. Gundam shows have made it very clear what happens to people caught by their particular kinds of beam weapons, and if that hits, they won't even need a damp cloth to clean up what's left of you...

Well, at least Gun-dummy is starting to lose their focus in their rage. I hope...

Much more like that and you'll be running around as a floating head with construct life-support, OL...

Well, at least he's got about 70% charge now. Man, this is going to be like his early days again... At least until he can hide long enough to recharge his primary ring.

Assuming Gun-dummy lets you do so.

Which it looks like they're not going to...

Amazing how quickly a battle can turn, isn't it? The next couple of scenes should be quite the game of cat-and-mouse, at least until OL can get that second ring charged. It's honestly impressive to see just how tenacious he becomes when he's pressed this hard, though...

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, getting his daughter involved in his mess.

17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's a good thing there's absolutely no downside to Paragon dying anymore.

Silveraith likes this.
  18. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

This is a very interesting contrast again with Renegade. Renegade would struggle with the capital ship combat that Paragon basically blasts thru. However? Renegade would absolutely wreck this godling Paragon is getting wrecked by.
    Specialized builds have their issues.

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

20. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Wasn't it Tokeepwhatsmine?

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

22. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

The interesting thing is that tricks tend to work against Paul once, so it's better he has this issue now rather than against people sent by Darkseid.

23. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

That link is broken.

24. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

And this is why Lantern oaths are stupid. Just shut up and recharge the ring.

25. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Should probably set his ring to alert him when the drainage is picking up speed and passing 50 and 25 percent threasholds...

26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, updated.

27. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

tron lines

28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

29. SaltyWaffles

SaltyWaffles I trust you know where the happy button is?

Seriously, he used to recharge his ring with a single word. Why the hell is he bothering with a chant twice when he literally doesn’t have the time?!

30. Threadmarks: Sungate (part 28)
    Mr Zoat

11th September 2012
    20:22 GMT

I duck back, the shot smashing through the hull armour and inner hull before slamming into my cover-. The gun has its own shielding, which shimmers as it soaks the strike. Ah, okay, that's… A relief. But as I stare at my glowing arm stand-in I realise a problem.

Despite my wounds, I'm feeling no pain. That's not because of the medical systems in my armour; they're good but not that good. That's because my main ring is altering the way my body is processing stimuli. When I recharge it there's going to be a good few seconds at best where I'll get the full effect of suddenly losing large parts of my body. Not for a fraction of a second like I did just now, but for several seconds as the ring fully recharges.

No titan of healing.

Okay, transfer Hinon's ring to my good side without ever losing hold of it. Move around to the far side of the gun to keep its armour and shield between me and the New God with the oversized gun. Disintegrate the hand; I'll replace it later. Full construct arm. Purple healing rays on my left shoulder and my leg stumps; that should reduce the pain to manageable levels. And unlike maimed Amazons I can repair by ring later.

Alert!

This time I don't move, other than to interpose the shield I'm generating with Larfleeze's ring. It's good for simple and strong constructs at least. Instead I watch to judge the effectiveness of the gun as an obstacle to hide behind. The New God's shot comes through the outer hull just as easily as before… Diminished from what they were firing at me outside, but still strong as it hits the gun's shield. The gun blocks, but the shield seems more stressed than last time.

Finite uses, then.

Wounds still being healed. Recharging my main ring right now would be a bad idea.

What's the New God doing?

They're shooting at me. How are they detecting me? Magic shouldn't work, and… I think that extends to New God technology. Gravity-based detection might have been able to track me outside of the ship, but here I'm surrounded by mixed density materials. There isn't going to be anything that identified me as me. Internal monitoring-? Can't see any cameras or lasers, and heat detection becomes unreliable when weapons start firing inside the ship.

What does that leave?

Nothing on the outside of my armour, so I'm not broadcasting my location. Detecting me by my absorption of local mana? Theoretically doable, but mana systems are usually chaotic enough that it-.

That it's not possible, unless someone is already rewiring the local thaumasphere and has simplified it for easier access. I reach out with orange tendrils and pull more of it into me from all parts of the gunnery chamber before repositioning higher up the room, closer to the muzzle of the gun. Still behind the gun to take advantage of its shield, but in a different position.

Can they still track me?

Alert!

I shield and wait… As the shot hits one of my strands on the other side of the room.

Got you.

Their next move is probably going to be to shoot 'me' a few more times and then come aboard in order to confirm the kill. That would fit Apokoliptian methodology. I'd rather that they stay outside, to be honest. Or leave. Under these conditions this isn't an efficient or necessary fight for me.
    Roust Them Out.
    Alert!

Another shot, this one closer. And it didn't appear to be aimed at a strand. Which means that they know the strands are a hoax. How..?

Self-enhancement. They might not be able to track me directly, but there's nothing stopping them improving their own ability to predict me. I've never claimed to be a tactical or strategic genius. So either they shoot everywhere in this compartment -which would take a while with her current gun- or they come in here to track me with their own eyes.

So do I try finishing off the ship? Grab the gun with Larfleeze's ring and force it to fire? Or prepare to fight them? Don't know how long taking over the gun will take or how long my assailant will take to decide to get closer. Or if I even can take control of the gun without a ring AI.

Wounds mostly healed. Right. Cold gun out of subspace and firing cold zones at all obvious points of ingress.

I tap Hinon's ring against my personal lantern.

"Charge."

Nothing happens.

Yes, that would have been too easy. Ritual binding it is, then.

"This is my cause, this is my fight."

My construct arm vanishes and… The missing parts of my body don't hurt so much as… Really disturb my sense of proprioception. There's an ache, but… Not so bad. I've been injured enough that physical damage doesn't faze me emotionally any longer.

"Shine through the void with orange light."

Not rushing in or firing again. I think I do need to defeat -kill or disarm- them. Lure them in? They require my full focus, obviously.

"I've claimed all within my sight."

Alert!
    Cowering Before The Inevitable.
    "To keep what is mine, that-"

The shot hits my shield, but that's okay.

"-is my right."

The beam connecting my main ring to my personal lantern glows brilliantly, but with my other ring I throw out a blast of orange light in all directions.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHnnnnnnnnnnnnn…"

And cut the flow of orange light off, dismiss my tendrils, personal lantern back into subspace, grow back the missing parts of my body and repair my armour. Construct power to minimum and… Directly feed orange light into my tattoos to exclude anything else.

Under my armour my skin is glowing orange, but that should make me impossible to find with whatever technique they're using. I mean, it's not like they know what happens when a Lantern of my abilities gets killed.

Unless they had someone observing both other times it happened, but that seems unlikely. Or perhaps they'll think it was my rings getting destroyed? In either case-.

For a fraction of a second I see the hull cleaved open by the gun-turned-sword, then-
    Death Comes For You!
    -the cold field collapses, somehow cut by the oversized sword while I fly towards the New God, tendrils reaching out and around to grabble and feed!

Micro-turrets on their armour open fire, only to be immediately countered by orange lasers from my counter battery constructs as the second wave of tendrils lock on!

Feed Me!
    I Stand Strong!
    The colour in their armour oscillates as they try to power through, sword flashing towards me! I take my spear out of subspace, already linking it both to my body's energy and to theirs. I parry, briefly meeting their energy blade before turning it aside as I latch more tendrils onto their weapon.

The spear is partially melted by the brief contact, but the oversized sword is positively guttering.

And sword, stab forwards into the mechanism! Their sword goes out with a small crack of energy, and a construct claw grabs it and pulls it from their harness!

"One chance. Yield."

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022