1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Istaran

Istaran Know what you're doing yet?

It was him for sufficiently broad definition of him.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Nothing wrong with that, she was my third choice back in the day and a much more interesting girlfriend material for Paul than Jade... Then again I never liked Jade to begin with.

Cuchulin likes this.
  3. Dappershire

Dappershire Getting out there.

My bet is on not even getting updates, but on Zoat editing past posts, and waiting for us to find the differences.

kerleth and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Just noticed. That should say 'an all-Supergirl group photograph'.

5. Threadmarks: Future Tense (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

13th September 2012
    06:57 GMT -5

The turrets deploy, and for a moment I'm worried-. Concerned-. Mildly annoyed to think that I'm going to have a repeat of the first time I did this.

"Orange Lantern detected."

And then they clunk back into their housing and the lights return to normal levels. Despite what Tim Burton might want you to believe, the batcave actually has perfectly normal levels of lighting most of the time. It doesn't have them at full daylight levels because Batman wants to be able to see at least somewhat if they either suddenly go out or he needs to go out into the night. He's perfectly capable of setting it up to match the day/night cycle outside, but… Unnecessary complexity? The zeta tube being able to deposit him somewhere at a different time of day?

Eye strain?

"Ah, Master Lantern."

I nod politely at Mr. Pennyworth as he puts down the tool he was oiling.

"Mister Pennyworth. Is Batman at home?"

"I shall find out at once, sir. Might I presume to enquire why you are here?"

"Someone took a shot at a friend of mine using a novel bullet. Also, I think we're about to come down with another time traveller infestation."

"Most troubling, sir. Will you wait here, or shall I ask him to contact you directly?"

"If it's no trouble, I'll wait."

"Certainly, sir." He bows his head slightly, then heads for the stairs. "Please try to avoid getting between the gun turrets and the exhibitions; they've just been polished."

"The guns or the exhibitions?"

"Yes, sir."

Huh. I take another look around as he heads up into Wayne Manor. Wards. Decent ones. I… Oh. I think I accidentally melted the inscription on that one. Take a… Moment to fix the physical aspect. There are a few places that are resisting my scans, but I'm seeing a lot of runic metal rather than something more primitive or off-the-shelf. He trusted someone to work on his cave's defences, but… Not Dr. Balewa, this isn't his style. I'd guess Mr. Zatara, which suggests that he's been using his convalescence…

When was the last time I saw..?

His convalescence to keep himself up to date on developments in thaumaturgy. Which is certainly a productive use of his time, though his natural abilities don't really require it.

Uh, Thursday during school term. Most of the team is going to be busy, and it's not as if I've got any leads

Ring, what's Dana doing?

Because I doubt that someone that unprofessional and discombobulated is going to practise good communications discipline.

A construct image appears in front of me, assembled from the various camera and monitoring devices in the flat. Huh, just realised that I didn't see her wearing a Legion flight ring. And I didn't see one on Chameleon Boy either. Does this version of the Legion not use them? It's actually quite hard to make a ring-sized device that lets people fly safely.

"…even make sense? No, no, Rokk, I'm not worried about that. … Okay, maybe a bit. No, no, he's not going to do anything crazy."

I bow my head slightly.

"Shoot me himself? Why would he use a bullet?"

Actually, that would have been a good idea, if I were simply trying to extract information. As it is, I'm prioritising avoiding Legion-related problems in the future over convenience today.

"What did Brainy-? Can we-? Can we check, then? Because that sounds important. I mean, why am I even here?"

Well, if your Brainiac is anything like mine, because he hates the idea of being outsmarted and won't be happy until he's defeated Time Trapper in some way and if it looks like Time Trapper has just quit the field he might go a little peculiar. I know that Dox would never accept his father just quitting, but I don't know what actual relationship… I want to say… Quirrell? Dox, has with Vril. They're supposed to be from a thousand years in the future, so I doubt he can just be my Dox's great grandson.

"Yeah, I can-. I can probably get the Atomic Axe. They can't even use it, and they'll see that it's better if it's not in the same era as Persuader. … I don’t know, do we really want him back? No, because this isn't our-. Your past any more. … How would I even test that?"

"Orange Lantern?"

I glance around and nod at Batman-. No, no costume. Marriage has really mellowed him out. As Bruce walks down into the cave.

"Just spying on a woman who really should have realised that I'd have monitoring equipment in my home. Ring, what do the internal sensors say about where she's calling?"

"No phenomena associated with time travel detected."

"They're in this era? Interesting."

"Unable to determine."

"What happened?"

I flick a ball of orange light towards the main computer, causing-. Causing the ball to fizzle just before it arrives.

"I like your defences."

"Thank you. What happened?"

He thanked me first?

"Remember Dana Dearden?"

"The author of a series of ill-advised and poorly-written opinion pieces on the team."

"That's the one. Just after that mess with Rip Hunter got sorted out, she went to the future with me and a group called the Legion of Superheroes."

"Then why am I hearing about it now?"

That was a bit Batmany.

"Because after-. Actually, I'm not sure if 'after' is the term. Once they finished with me, they erased the part of time where it happened. All I remember is feeling mildly confused for a moment after leaving the Hall of Justice. Dana on the other hand stayed there for a few years."

"Why is she back?"

"Because their old team leader thinks I'm destroying their future and has got a bit obsessed."

"No. Why her?"

"Ah. Established relationship? Familiarity with this era? They're from the thirtieth century, after the Reach burned the Earth to the ground. Their records of this period aren't great. And hey: this is a great chance for you to confirm everything Kadabra and I have been saying about the future."

I reach out with a cable supported by a filament and plug it into the computer's sheep dip compartment, transferring all of my recordings over.

"I can probably keep her safe, but my scans revealed nothing helpful."

He nods. "I'll start an investigation. Send me any new data she provides. Where will you take her?"

"I'll take her to KordTech. That should be safe enough, and we can say hello to Kara on the way."

I raise my right hand to my-.

Ah.

"Thank you."

He nods as he heads towards where the costumes are stored. "You're welcome."

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  6. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Well first of all Superman has descendants in the 31st century- Kent Shakespeare and his cousin however many times removed Laurel Kent.

Kandor was also unshrunk so there's an entire planet of Kryptonians in the 31st century, Rokyn.

Also Dev-Em is a Legion character.

8. Ostentatiousnessness

Ostentatiousnessness First of his name, last of his kind

Hmm.

quite a civil interaction, it’s almost like they respect each others’ skills and judgement. I wonder what happens in the future to cause a souring of relations.

Gilhelmi, Gantradies, w34v3r and 12 others like this.
  9. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

Dude. OL. Give Alfred the youth treatment! He deserves it and doesn't have the Green Light issue that Alan had!

10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Sounds like the Legion really has no idea what's going on. That's probably irking Brainiac 5 quite a bit.

That should say 'a'.

That should say 'say'.

That should say 'into'.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ohh, Alfred.

You truly are the greatest comic book character.

Really the best.

I think it was during the time you went to Witch World.

You're wearing one, and Brainiac 5 is a 12th level intellect, so it should be possible for him.

Well, seeing as Time Trapper was mentioned and he was Time Trapper in the comics, this worries me.

Hahahahahahahahajaha.

You really don't know Paul.

Hqhahahahahahaha.

You know what you are.

Well he can throw off suspicion from himself since people may not think he'll use a bullet.

He could be.

Vril could have extended his lifespan, the same goes for any child or grandchild he has.

'walks'

So they're either here or the time travel aspect can't be detected.

He really has mellowed out.

And Paul got her a date with a Team member.

Well it is an important thing you didn't mention.

Really mellowed out.

12. Dappershire

Dappershire Getting out there.

I'd believe Alfred would accept either the Donner Enhancement or the Speed power willingly, so he could keep a better eye on Bruce.

Gilhelmi, Vorian, Cuchulin and 10 others like this.
  13. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

I still hate Talia.

Plus no marrying Catwoman means Batman doesn't become the most happy version of himself and original Huntress isn't born.

kerleth, Cuchulin, Doccer and 3 others like this.
  14. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

Your

Quarrel

15. Stsword

I doubt it was that hard, they are made from a Nth-metal alloy, the metal that innately manipulates gravity and the other three forces of the universe.

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

As you can attest to given the one you're using mind fucked you into the next best thing to a robot.

Pinklestia and Doccer like this.
  17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, the Batcave. I suppose the best thing when you have a Mystery is a Detective. Not necessarily the greatest detective on Earth, but OL doesn't know people like Detective Chimp... While I doubt introducing himself to Ralph Dibny would help much.

...The missus complained about how dark it was? I mean, Talia's probably used to poorly lit caves, but there's a line. :p

And could no doubt have used as a weapon if need be. Because, you know, former spy (in some continuities.)

...And how much cleanup will be needed afterwards. Because Alfred isn't getting any younger, you know.

And you know he's seen some shit when he takes 'Time traveller infestation' in his stride like that. The consummate Gentleman's Gentleman.

Heh. Looking out for the cool stuff.

Seriously, Alfred must spend all day cleaning both the cave and the mansion... When he's not poking holes in Bruce's dark and brooding moods. :p

Yeah, I can see Batman trusting Giovanni more. Though it looks like he might have to give the wards an upgrade after this.

Still, better to know this shit than be blindsided by something you can't backwards-talk into not existing.

Yeah, might help to know what she's saying to her team, if she's talking to them...

Who knows, maybe they have them built into their super-suits. The belt buckle insignia is a logical place. And there's no guarantee that they aren't fitted with optical camouflage... :rolleyes: Or they simply took them off as needed. Dana does basically have the full FISS package...

Boy, she really has no idea, does she? Does she not remember the Cake?

Heck, even just Brand her and ask. Given the Legion era's lack of knowledge about Power Rings (because the Guardians are all dead or otherwise no longer present in that universe,) I doubt they'd have any reliable defence.

Querl Dox, actually. And the Brainiac title was... Let's just say our boy Vril Dox's daughter gave it a bad name, until Brainy's father revived it.

The only problem is, if the Atomic Axe is back in the future, someone will eventually try and get a hold of it. Here, at least it can serve as the lynchpin of a time paradox. :D

'Spying on' is such a rude term. :cool: You couldn't have called it 'monitoring'? Anyway, I guess he was doing something as Bruce topside. Hopefully it's nothing important.

But logical. Minimizes the risk of temporal erasure if their era gets retconned. But then, they don't know how it works now, so...

Huh. I'm impressed. Magical firewall?

...This feels like a 'Batman's smiling at me? I'm doomed, aren't I?' moment... Any more mellow and he may as well start running around in an Adam West-era batsuit...

Ah, yes, she's largely a footnote in this era.

...Ah, there you are, Bats. Still, go easy on him, he didn't remember it happening.

Time Travel: Mangling the English language since before the concept had even been invented.

To be fair, he is a Dox. Obsession does run in the blood. Just be glad Vril the younger has an outlet in the Orange Lantern Corps. And friends willing to distract him as needed.

Ah, OL. Always looking on the bright side of random plots and side-quests.

A Sheep-Dip terminal, for reference. Not that OL would likely have any trouble with info-war software on the Ring...

And recruit her for assistance if things go ploin-shaped. I doubt Kryptonians were foolish enough to mess with time travel once they worked out the dangers.

OL, manners. He hasn't been gruff or abrupt with you at all today...

Good lord. He really has mellowed out...

:confused: Well, that was a surprisingly civil interaction with Batman. Who knew, being married was good for him. So, how long till he ditches the black-and-dark grey batsuits for blue-and-light grey, :p and starts running around in the daytime? But seriously, touching base with the league is probably a good idea at this point. Given how crazy previous encounters with the Legion got...

18. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

True, but Nth-metal is a cheaty shortcut for a lot of things.
    He does know Detective Chimp. The thinking cap prototype boosted his brain in this continuity.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Batman is still a better detective than them.

And even if he wasn't a former spy you'd still not want to get on his bad side.

She may have thought that was just a one time thing.

Yeah, that may not be such a good idea.

Her powers may protect her from it and if the Legion is here then they won't take kindly to him doing it.

They may still try it even if it remains in the 21st century.

Now I can't help but imagine a version that ended up there and either went insane or became an alcoholic, or both.

Though the fact that he has a mind altering device that can increase his obsession probably isn't so good.

Though he hasn't really adopted a detective lifestyle.

Cuchulin, zeebza, Doccer and 3 others like this.
  20. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Talia/Batman or Selina/Batman?
    What are your personal preferences?

Cuchulin and Doccer like this.
  21. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

your*

Edit : already posted, sorry nevermind

Doccer likes this.
  22. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

Is "both" an option?
    /Joke

Vorian, Doccer and Lord Ernest like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I don't understand your correction. The SI is misremembering, so there's no 'wrong' answer. I used the spelling for the man from Harry Potter.
    Selina/Batman. Their preferences, on the other hand...

24. Darth.Bill

Darth.Bill Versed in the lewd.

I suppose if even Batman can take the time to say thank you, then Paul really has no excuse.

25. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

So let's cheat!:sneaky:
    FISS?
    Link?
    So he became a detective in this fic?
    As far as OL is concerned it shall remain a one time thing!
    Mr Zoat was there?

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  26. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Selina makes Bruce happier, plus that way you get original Huntress.

And Talia is a terrible parent, needs ALL THE THERAPY and values her father over everyone else.

Catwoman was willing to retire and marry Bruce, didn't turn her kid into a killing machine and also didn't replace him with a clone.

And even if we go just by early Talia, the times she keep betraying Bruce to her father and almost got Batman dead are way too many.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_(Earth-Two)

Also know as Blue Suit/Silver Age Batman that married Catwoman.

Vorian, kerleth and Cuchulin like this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No, but I couldn't help but imagine a version of the SI that ended up there.

Those things may not happen here since Ras is dead, so Talia is no longer under his control and this can adopt less crazy methods of doing things.

Doccer likes this.
  28. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

She was still raised by a cult leader and I don't hear her going to therapy.

Vorian, Caerwen, Doccer and 1 other person like this.
  29. Stsword

It depends on the continuity, really, because of course it does.

Usually Brainiac 5 is brainiac 5 because he's the great great grandson, in at least one continuity it's not a familial title but about merit, basically an award in which Colu declares "DAMN! You're smart," kind of like a Nobel prize for science taken up to 11. So in that continuity he's literally the fifth person to be awarded that title in all of Colu's history. How many of those previous four just so happened to be related to him I couldn't tell you.

In that continuity a human actually got nominated because his work was just that impressive. His work eventually turned his daughter into the "bridge between man and god," and she sent Darkseid to the cornfield. Although that was suicide by cop, he was done but apparently required a suitably grandiose method rather than say getting into a bar fight with a Daxamite or something.

He had to kill her brother to provoke her enough, and it ends with the brother and Darkseid taking each other's hand and walking together into that quiet darkness.....

Edit- FISS stands for Flight, Invulnerability, Strength, and Speed, from a work about a school for young superheroes that has a lot of expies, and Superman types, aka FISSes, are so common they are generally looked down upon for being boring.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Vorian, Ngamer11 and Cuchulin like this.
  30. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

The whole Brainiac family (series?) is an excellent example of how it is possible to be both amazingly intelligent and shockingly dumb simultaneously.

Good to see them getting on alright.

Vorian and Bud-E like this.