1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Nah, it can always get worse.

If you stopped Hitler and the Holocaust but then later the Soviets and Allies would blow up everyone with nukes than the moral decision would be to reinstate Hitler.

2. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

The status quo sends a new champion.
    I doubt it will be any more effective than the last attempt.

3. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

What about Karate Kid? He doesn't have any powers either other than being a real good fighter.

moralrelativity, Doccer and Relyt33 like this.
  4. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He's an exception because he's just that good of a fighter.

5. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

6. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Eh due to fixing time all she will do if she tries to fix time is to create an alternate timeline cause the multiverse is back, including Elseworlds.

7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

There have been many versions of the Legion, but as for the first incarnation... Not really a lot of detail.

[​IMG]

8. Istaran

Istaran Know what you're doing yet?

Records of Batman have lead to the conclusion he has powers.

9. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I want to see the Legion react to seeing Batman in action and then refuse to believe he doesn't have powers.

10. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

Hey,
    Is there a youtube playlist with all the songs Zoat has linked throughout the story.

11. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

To be fair, he pretty much runs entirely on "comic book writers write 'peak human' as mildly holistically superhuman" and "money is a super power"

12. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

He can fist fight kryptonians and can kick the ground so hard he causes an earthquake in a manner that cancels out an existing earthquake.

Karate Kid is someone who Charles Atlas'd himself into superpowers and no one pretends otherwise.

13. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Links for your perusal-

Karate Kid can wrassle with Superboy, kick a meteor into oblivion, and dismember monsters capable of going toe to toe with Superman.

14. Mr Zoat

Almost certainly not. Though if some manperson made one, I'd put a link to it in the contents post.

15. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

So, this has the potential to be very stupid. If the Legion wants the Reach to win on Earth enough for there to be people out in the universe to found the United Planets later there's likely to be some vaguely super villainous stuff they want her to do.

16. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

I remember/think I remember Invite Them In, The Sun Is Also A Warrior, Never Split The Party, and Demonbane. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, unfortunately. Doing a proper reread is... Daunting.

17. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

A few more that set the tone for some of the pony stuff upon their wandering through.
    That did lead to 'Dumb ways to Die' sneaking in there.

mastermenthe, Ardy and Doccer like this.
  18. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Giff? What or who is that?
    Explain? My LOSH knowledge is entirely based on the tv series cartoon.
    Hypertime?
    https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdY5pdfD/

If Superman never got kidnapped to the future then Karate Kid might not have joined because it was Superman that recruited him. I only know the tv series.

19. Stsword

The universes of DC multiverse are static and independent, you could blow up Nazi Earth and not effect Batman is a Vampire Earth.

Hypertime is alternate universes of the "all possible decisions happen somewhere" type. It's an alternate axis of dimensional travel.

So there is a hypertime universe where Superboy got Chinese takeout and another universe where he got pizza for lunch, whatever.

Zoat, in this story, made it a new thing that allows alternate timelines due to time travel shenanigans to continue to exist, but in DC canon hypertime literally predates the creation of the YJ universe, so he took liberties there, writer's prerogative.

20. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wait didnt the whole Crisis on Infinite Pauls cause the downstream to now operate as a branching deal instead of erasing? So there is nothing to fix.

Prince Charon and Ngamer11 like this.
  21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The LSH might not know that. If so, then Paul will need to explain it to them.

Prince Charon likes this.
  22. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Ah... Yeah, I skipped any songs in the pony chapters.

Weirdly enough, this is not that straightforward. Hypertime was introduced in The Kingdom, which came out in 1999. Young Justice, as a DC comic line, started in 1998. Obviously, With This Ring follows the cartoon continuity rather than the comic continuity, but Robin, Superboy, and a teen speedster (Impulse), operating as a team in Happy Harbor, mentored by Red Tornado, in a series called Young Justice, predates the introduction of hypertime!

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  23. Stsword

Which would be why I specified YJ universe, since the age of the concept of Young Justice wasn't actually germane.

Earth-16 was created as an identical replica to New Earth in Infinite Crisis, 2005/6, and then was made distinct from New Earth in 52.

So again, Hypertime was a thing before the YJ universe even existed.

Cuchulin and Wetbananas like this.
  24. Threadmarks: Future Tense (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

13th September 2012
    06:53 GMT -5

"I'm not letting the Reach win."

"Okay, I thought you'd say that, but hear me out. If-."

"I've spoken to Abra Kadabra. At length. I know what happens already. Or-"

She shifts awkwardly.

"-I know what would have happened except for my intervention. The Reach conquer Earth, take away metahumans for their metaweapon breeding programs and then eventually abandon the place once Larfleeze decides to eat them. Civilisations the Reach created go their own ways before eventually joining back up as the United Planets."

"Kadab-? Wait, which one was he?"

"The Flash villain? Pretends to be a magician? Turned him into a wooden puppet one time? I think he actually comes from further in the future than the Legion does."

"So… You know."

"So I know." I shrug. "Larfleeze has been disarmed and is undergoing therapy. Qward is in turmoil. The Orange Lantern Corps, the Darkstars and L.E.G.I.O.N. are making inroads into Reach controlled space. Events cannot happen in this timeline as they did in the one the… Legion appear to have come from."

I give her an exaggerated shrug.

"Sorry? Hard luck? This isn't something that can be fixed by Saturn Girl showing no respect for the sanctity of the consciousnesses of those around her. I've changed a lot of peoples' lives, yours not least amongst them."

Actually…

"No personal slight intended, but honestly, you're probably pretty close to being least amongst them. I mean, you missed the Sheeda invasion and I was in at the death on that one."

"Oh. Well. Ah, okay. I guess I… I guess they thought I could talk you into… I don't know, easing off or something. But I guess we're, like… Really far beyond that."

"Yes. Though as I understand it, the changes won't eliminate their present but rather create an alternate past where their history still happened so there's really nothing to worry about. So how long are you here for?"

"Whow whow whow." She shakes her head. "I'm still not over you changing time."

"Well it wasn't me personally. It was the combined effort of Time Trapper me, a giant tuning fork, a few hundred mes from parallel universes and a few hundred Jades. I'm sure at least one dated Mopey Arrow."

"And you've checked nothing got… I don't know, broken?"

"How would I do that? I can't return to Vanishing Point… Okay, I probably could; we've still got the time sphere in secure holding somewhere. Hopefully disassembled. But even if I got there I wouldn't know what I was looking at."

She stares at me for a moment. Then she cautiously stands.

"I… Should get going."

"But I want to get an all-Supergirl group photograph!"

"I should get going because this is way too crazy for me." She starts walking back towards the door, trips on her own feet and catches herself with her flying ability. "This is too crazy for me, and-"

She pulls the door open.

"-I need to check with someone-."

FZZZZZ!

The apartment's defensive shields flash into turquoise existence, a single grey bullet suspended in the air just in front of Dana's face.

"Agh! Oh, it's just a-"

I create a construct wall in front of her and construct-lasso her aside as the bullet bores its way though cruiser-grade shields and punches a crater in my construct!

"-bullet-."

Angle of fire… No, can't see anyone there. Nothing on visual perception, nothing on scan, nothing on empathic vision. Being in the middle of Gotham we're not exactly short on points that overlook the front door. Check cameras… No, they're designed for observing immediate surroundings rather than sniper perches.

Ring, analysis of the bullet?

Projectile entirely disintegrated. Novel energy field observed but did not last long enough for analysis.

"Did you make any enemies in the future?"

"Ah… Yeah?"

"Do any of them have access to time machines? Other than Persuader."

"I mean, Time Trapper? Ah… I don't think.. anyone else does?"

"There's probably a new Time Trapper now, so I can't vouch for their behaviour. Did you recognise the projectile?"

"No. I'm mean, I'm.. bulletproof. I've been shot by railguns and lasers and plasma before. There's no way that would have hurt me." She turns to look at me. "Right?"

"That shield would stop any Earth-produced projectile weapon, including my crumbler rounds. There are truly indestructible things, but I imagine that you're merely very tough."

I run a quick check on the shield emitters… Yes, they're fine. I then close the door, putting a new layer of armour between us and any attackers.

"Is it generally known that you're not kryptonian?"

"Ah-. Kind of. People just assume that I'm part-kryptonian."

"That bullet wasn't kryptonite. I'm not sure what it was. Do you have a contact in this era?"

"… No..?"

"Contact them and let them know."

"How do you know they weren't here for you?"

"They didn't take a shot at me. I was visible when I opened the door to let you in."

"So was I. I had my back to where that came from."

"I don't spend much time here and I teleport everywhere. I hardly ever use the front door. Who knows that the Legion is worried about changes to the timeline?"

"I… Ah. Think I need to call this in. Can..? I stay here for a little while?"

"Sure. But I need to grab some people to start our investigation."

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though now he is a real magician.

From the 64th century if I remember correctly.

So it technically was still you.

That's what you get when dealing with Paul.

Or anything else.

Kryptonians are far from the only flying brick species.

26. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

Ah, yes, Chandler's law: if your story's not going anywhere, add a new character with a gun.

27. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Or some obsessive supervillain-in-waiting (cough Brainiac cough) decides things should be changed back to the 'proper' way time is 'supposed' to operate, destroying all the other new alternate timelines so there is only the one true and proper timeline he can keep his self appointed watch over.

28. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I want to see Brainiac 2 meet Brainiac 5. We probably won't understand what they say exactly, but they'll either get along swimmingly, or hate each others' guts on first sight.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They are very close in personality and as the saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt.

30. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Oh lord.
    Parallel timeline Legions?
    Is that Superboy Prime's music i hear?
    Funky because it's not clear what the Superman YJ canon re the Legion is but the Parallel timelines and adult Supes throws it to Legion of Three Worlds adjace.
    (But hey, you never know which Legion will show.)