1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I looked it up and it was in Hellblazer #247. He used it for a ritual and then snorted it when he was done.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Of course he did that, of course.

Because why not.

3. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

you know, it's really telling when the Nazi is the least tiresome Supergirl present.

4. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Not surprising. Incredibly disappointing from a narrative standpoint, but not surprising.

I think what annoys me most is that Paul could deal with Truggs if he bothered to actually try. QW scan would find him. Manual examination of the entire Earth would find him. Ripping info from the minds of Light members would at the very least point in his direction.

Paul is clearly enraged by Truggs. To the point of using petty maiming rather than Branding and dumping him on the floor rather than putting him somewhere secure. Yet he isn’t willing to expend the effort to solve the problem.

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

6. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

If you wanna be pedantic Blue Kryptonite can heal Superman... and also make Bizzaro super smart? Yeah there is a reason I stopped reading Superman comics.

7. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

I laughed. :V

And here's something from a very old update. I'm not sure if there's an error or if it's a manner of speech I'm unaware of.
    Shouldn't the end be "that it is not allowed" or "that this is not allowed" ?

Prince Charon, w34v3r and Xmaster3000 like this.
  8. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Constantine smoked St.Nicholas. Although honestly I think Odin contributed more to modern Santa than Old St. Nick did.

The Lobo issue was fictional even within the comic- it had people reading a comic in which Lobo killed Santa.

However in a Christmas special it showed Santa's origin- The last son of a cold old world, his scientist father sent him in a spaceship to a planet where he'd have abilities far beyond mere mortals, he threw a crystal into the snow of the North Pole where it erected a citadel embodying his dead planet. No villains to fight, no monsters to slay, bringing hope to children, one present at a time.

So Clark and his North Pole neighbor have a lot in common.

And Plastic Man told a child a story in which Santa joined the Justice League. With the nature of the infinite DC multiverses, that means there could be an alt.Paul in a world in which Santa is in the JL.

9. Mr Zoat

It's valid as is. It could be clearer, but it works.

10. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

DC Santa is roughly as bullshit as silver age Kryptonians, I would not want to be dropped into a world with villains of the caliber that would require him being on the Justice League. He not only visits every good and naughty child on Earth, he visits every good and naughty child and adult in the universe.

11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Actually yes, it would be unprecedented.

Because that's never been how Black Kryptonite works. So Zoat would have to be making it up from scratch if it is.

12. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Actually [link]:
    So while it does split kryptonians in good and evil in live-action, in comics most of the time (3 out of 4 times it was used) it just turns them evil.
    Next time maybe do some basic googling

13. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Kryptonite isn't consistently represented as crystalline across continuities. It might be better to use "minerals" instead of "crystals" here.

Usually "Well-meaning"

When you read it, pause for a moment before the word "that" so that you understand it as "They made it clear: that is not allowed." The punctuation in my example is for clarity; it's not necessary to be grammatically correct.

14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Darko mentioning Kipling made think of the possibility of Paul getting him, Ambrose, and any other trenchcoat wearing magician together to create a version of the Trenchcoat Brigade. That would good for a little fun. Even better, it might draw out John Constantine.

15. Threadmarks: Future Tense (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

14th September 2012
    18:22 GMT -6

I yank the pizza delivery girl up into the air, the Hawaiians she was carrying falling to the ground.

At least nothing of value was lost.

It's noteworthy that she doesn't react with fear. Rather, she does a quick test of her bonds and then goes limp, waiting to see what happens.

"You know, you're rather lucky."

"'cause crazy people kidnap me?"

"Because I found you ahead of the Chinese. Do you know what they do to Durlans?"

"What? What's a 'Dulan'?"

"Knock it off, Chameleon Boy. You didn't take the hint when I stopped Persuader killing Superman, but now you and yours are actually making my life difficult. The Chinese are really good at detecting Durlans, and their information sharing with the League covers the technology they use to do-"

Giving it up as a bad job, she reverts to his neutral humanoid form. Looks like the clothes weren't part of his body.

"-it. You can use your actual neutral form if you want; I know what it looks like."

"That's not a good look around humanoids." He tests his construct bonds again. "What happened?"

"Dana Dearden."

"What's she doing here?"

"I can only suggest that you ask Brainiac Five. I'm holding onto her coins until the four of you are back in the future where you belong."

"That won't stop us coming back again."

"Yes it will; this isn't your past any longer, something I'd have been happy to explain to you if you'd just asked."

"'Not our'-? Is that why our communicators stopped working?"

"I don't know what technology you use to communicate with the-." I wince. "It's not 'write a message and bury it', is it?"

"We tried that when the normal way didn't work, but we haven't had a response."

"And telepathy doesn't work worth a damn on Durlans because your minds can run on anything. How long have you been on Earth? In this era?"

"We got here just ahead of Persuader."

"'Just ahead-?"

"Time travel." / "Time travel."

I nod as I turn and fly across the town that the visiting members of the Legion of Superheroes have made into their base of operations.

"I'll give you a full explanation when the three of you are together, but the reason for you being here has been rendered null and void."

"Because you've already unmade our future?"

"Because it's not this timeline's future any longer. Seriously, if we gave you a time machine and you returned to your era, you wouldn't see the things you remember."

"That's what I said."

I generate a construct rope and suspend it in the air in front of him. The upper part has 'future' written on it, and the bottom 'present'.

"History. You arrived-"

I generate an arrow construct to point at the upper part of 'present'.

"-here. Krona and Time Trapper cut it off here."

I cut it off above 'present' and move the 'future' away from it.

"Your past has been restored already."

I have the 'future' rope extend downwards, forming a 'present'.

"And I don't know what our future looks like, but hopefully it involves fewer time travelling inconveniences. Probably won't involve the United Planets, because I'm going to devote a substantial portion of the next century to burning the Reach to the ground, but that's not your problem."

I'm not sure whether Chameleon Boy usually does facial expressions, but he definitely isn't bothering now.

"How do you know about this?"

"Dana tried arresting me. With everything else that was going on, Justice League telepaths scanned her. Between her and Abra Kadabra's willing cooperation-."

"He really comes from the seventieth century?"

"Some point in the future, yes. So other than you, Magnet Boy and Saturn Girl, is there anyone else here? Anyone that Dana didn't know about?"

"It's Cosmic Boy."

"Does he manipulate magnetic fields or 'cosmic' fields?"

"Magnetic, but that's still not his name."

"Then he should have picked a name that's a little less risible."

I nod as I see Angelika fly in our direction, a young woman I assume to be Saturn Girl-. Yes, that's the brain of a telepathic human. And a Belle Reve issue power suppression collar because we know what the brains of telepathic humans look like. Saturn Girl flying just ahead of her using her Legion flight ring.

"Is there anyone else here? Because we've only got one time machine, so if we shove the four of you into it anyone else will be left behind."

"No."

"Now, we can't scan your brain, and Saturn Girl could probably keep us out if we weren't willing to inflict lasting psychological harm -and we're not- but I doubt that Magnet Boy is that resilient. Do you want to change your answer?"

"No. Aside from Dana, there's no one."

"Glad to hear it. What were you four even doing here, anyway?"

"Trying to work out what went wrong."

"And ignoring the fact that you're the ones from the bad future?"

"Lots of bad things happened in the past. For me, the Reach occupation of Earth-."

"Nine hundred years ago, and the Durlan Civil War was probably a bigger deal in your history class."

"Yeah."

"Good news! It's not your problem any more. Good luck with your future, and may you never darken our doors again."

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  16. Mr Zoat

It's a crystal in every reality the SI is aware of.
    Thank you, corrected.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hmm, now I'm reminded of that Time Squad cartoon and the explanation Larry 3000 gave about time travel.

I have a feeling that they're going to come back some day.

18. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Guessing you meant past.

19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'your'.

20. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

should be 'your'

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat in the spoiler box it says 14th September above the link for this chapter.

22. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Paul: "We prevented your timeline from being the dominant timeline, so you actually can't go back to your own time, so we actually can't send you home, only to something that probably resembles it, but it's not our problem either, so get out."
    however far forward in the future
    New Future Hero Group: "Time Traveling without a license? That's illegal. Off to time jail with you."
    Old Future 'Hero' Group: "It wasn't illegal when we left!"
    New Future Hero Group: "And when did you leave?"
    Old Future 'Hero' Group: "It was now, but the timeline got altered so we didn't go to our home timeline."
    New Future Hero Group: "Well, that's not our fault now is it? Off to time jail."

Somehow I expect they're going to be a problem for Paul in the future again.

23. Cherico

Cherico Connoisseur.

24. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Wow, for Paul's standard he was downright pissed here.

What about them triggers him that much?

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think it's the fact that they tried to undo his work of stopping the Reach.

26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's worrying that Paragon doesn't realize how bad that is...

Because the only time you don't have Time Travelers, in a universe where Time Travel is relatively easy, is when there's nobody left to travel through time...

27. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

They have to go back in time to before the point of divergence, then they will be able to go forward in time to their own future?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

He has an irrational hatred of Time Travel.

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

30. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

There's going to turn out to be a second time-travel copy of Cosmic boy, isn't there?