1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well Paul did give Talia info on her sister, who Ras had put in a Nazi concentration camp due to her disobeying him, and that most likely showed Talia that her father isn't a man who does horrible things for a good reason, but that he's just a crazy lunatic that does horrible things.

Later on Talia left him and went to Bruce.

Because Talia was no longer supporting her father, Bruce felt more comfortable in their relationship continuing, while previously he was conflicted about it since she was supporting her father in his genocidal campaign.

I think it's safe to say that Paul's actions had a great deal to do with their stable relationship.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Bud-E and 3 others like this.
  2. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

No, no, no and no. :)

Ardy and hkim like this.
  3. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Why is Dana being exiled to the future? She is a local, also she considers the future of the United planets to be boring as fuck so should she really be sent there?

Come on this is a golden opportunity to get orange lantern obsession to spice the fuck out of this fic.

Also aren't the coins stolen property from a collection in a Museum? So either the league has a remit to repossess them as magical artifacts (Dana doesn't get to keep them) or the league returns them to the original country they were stolen from... If the country exist...

Dana should lose the coins and be left on this time-line, then she should go "obsessed" with being an orange lantern to show Paul up (have a controller recruit her because they detected her burning orange nature while Paul is elsewhere doing something in Space) and then several chapters later we are introduced to the raising orange lantern obsession being presented to Paul for training and she has used her ring to hyper enhance herself back to her "super girl" days and using the coins for so long worked as a soft new God soul unlock and that combined with orange light ends up being a killer combo.

Come on Mr Zoat do it, do it. Have Paul be responsible for his greatest rival.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Where did you get that from? She regards the journalists as boring and lazy. She thinks that her life and work are great.

Do you really think that's likely?
    It does. I think I established that a while ago.
    The future is also really good at fixing mental instability.

5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The legion's time travel never had trouble with alternate pasts.

The comic's "threeboot" legion is in fact the original pre-crisis legion.

So the very same Legion interacted with pre-crisis Earth, New Earth, and post-flashpoint earth.

Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  6. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

There is something rather fucked up about the law that OL got passed, where if it had been in force when he arrived and fairly enforced, he'd have had his rings taken from him, as he wasn't qualified to possess them.

But there is no hypocrite like a British hypocrite.

Here, does confiscating the rings from someone trying to use them to be a hero actually serve any positive purpose here?
    I mean, with time travel involved, he could take them to have 'his best men' study them (for real, not as some MIB euphemism for SCP warehousing) to see how practical they'd be to duplicate, and then bury them for Dana to dig up in the future, with no lost time from her perspective at all.

7. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Hhh..
    Fine, we'll subtitute peach.
    Not as good, IMO.
    Personally, I prefer tuna, blue cheese, pineapple and pepperoni.

ChestBurster and Xmaster3000 like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If you mean some law concerning confiscation of dangerous materials and artifacts, then I don't see how Paul is being hypocritical, since by the time laws concerning magic were being created he'd already mastered his ring, and even became enlightened, and became very much qualified to possess them.

Also it can be argued that he was qualified to possess them since the ring chose him based on a system created by a hyper intelligent being who made that ring and had far more knowledge on the rings energy than anyone else, so an expert on that field thought that he'd be okay having the ring and that can serve as a pretty good qualifier.

Maybe not, though it’s also important to consider the circumstances and why he confiscated them.

Like you know, the fact that she would have attacked him if Loriel did not stop her.

And this isn't Dana's first attempt at attacking him.

After she was fired she got a hold of those coins and planned to use them to hurt or kill Paul, but his security system proved to be a match for her.

When someone tries to attack you it is perfectly acceptable to remove any method they may have of doing so, like confiscating their weapons.

And while Dana may want to be a hero, Paul may not wish to give her back her coins since so far two of their most significant encounters have involved her trying to attack him.

9. Mr Zoat

That fact that something is sensible in the generality doesn't mean that there won't be specific instances where there will be negative consequences. But when it's on the level of 'one person dies due to a reaction of an inoculation' compared to 'one thousand people die of a disease' it's still correct to inoculate.

10. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I have come to the conclusion that you have never eaten apple pie or had salted caramel.

11. Deadring

Deadring Screee!

I don't think you are wrong, but given the situation he was in, he wouldn't have been in a position to create those laws without the ring. Or at least, not as easily. Sure, it is technically a hypocritical act, but I'm inclined to let it slide as it happened to be the most efficient path. It's easy to claim moral certainty in a vacuum, but one of the main themes of this story is how reality is a lot harder to navigate than the purely hypothetical. In my opinion, holding to a moral code at any and all costs, never bending even a little, is a risky thing.

It can lead one to prioritize holding to hypotheticals, over helping the real suffering and struggle people experience. I think the latter is more important than the former.

12. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

Also no. The apple pies I've had contained no salt or savory elements, they were really nice, but the salted caramel was tasty except the salt part.

Vorian likes this.
  13. DAT_NOOB

The apple pie didn't have a crust?

mastermenthe and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Threadmarks: Future Tense (part 21)
    Mr Zoat

14th September 2012
    19:31 GMT -5

"…expecting me to be happy about it. You're still stealing my property."

Rip Hunter glowers, but he doesn't look around as he continues to work on the time sphere.

Batman is unmoved.

"As I understand it, you wouldn't be able to use it for its original purpose anyway."

"No, I would be able to use it for its original purpose of historical research. I wouldn't be able to use it for the sort of nonsense I ended up getting dragged into because of people like him."

On the opposite side of the artefact, Jason Goldstein smiles at his former colleague.

"I'm happy for you to have it."

Batman is unmoved. "Allowing the construction of time machines would be a dereliction of duty on our part. You should be grateful that neither of you are in custody."

"Yeah, professor." Goldstein nods. "Now you've got time to actually write those books. Or are you having trouble finding a publisher?"

Hunter doesn't rise to the bait, but I know it's true. History publishers don't really know how to deal with a time traveller. A series of misadventures appear to have destroyed the majority of his recordings, so while he can describe the societies he saw in considerable detail he doesn't have any tangible proof. That means that they're reluctant to publish his accounts as factual works. Goldstein on the other hand went straight into historical fiction, and while he hasn't hit the best seller lists yet he's earned a solid reader base.

It doesn't help that as a result he's got more historical data into the public domain than Hunter.

"You could always go with them."

Batman shoots me a look, but I mean… Why not? We're not going to let him jump in a time sphere if we can help it, but if some other timeline doesn't share our attitude and we already know that he can't make major changes without just creating an alternate timeline. So even if one of them is evil, then they can't mess things up for anyone in an established timeline.

"Yeah, Hunter. Think about it: you'll never have to see me again. Heck, you could even find me in the past and kill me and it wouldn't affect me at all."

"I'll pass, but feel free to leave yourself."

"Why would I? I've got a book deal."

Ms. Lance walks in from the communications room. "Everyone's agreed. All of the devices blocking interdimensional-"

I don't cringe. I don't cringe.

"-travel will be shut down on our signal to let them go." She turns to me, smiling. "A timeline without you, huh? I wonder what that's like?"

I smile back, nodding.

"Probably still has Nabu in it."

"O-." She looks away awkwardly. "Okay."

"If it makes you feel any better, Truggs was pretty sure that the Sheeda didn't invade, so in objective terms they may still be in the lead."

The doors to the lounge area opens to let in the Legion members, Dana and Mr. Queen.

"…or the axe, and since we're pretty sure he can't make a new axe in this era, it's a whole lot safer for everyone if you just take it back with you."

Magnet Boy nods, floating the metal case containing the atomic axe alongside him. There probably are people in this era who can use the thing, but I can't even scan the interior. No idea how it was made, and I'll be mildly glad to see the back of it. Chameleon Boy glances in puzzlement at New Kara and Angelika, and Kara gives him a smile and wave.

Dana heads towards me. "So…"

"You're going with them, then?"

"Yeah, I think so. And hey, if we take recordings of the planar variance we can still come back." She takes in my expression. "I can come back to visit."

"I'm sure that your parents will appreciate that."

"Y-eah, that's-."

"And I would be reassured that you're still doing well."

"Yeah, okay." She swings her arms backwards and forwards distractedly. "A-bout my coins."

"While I should return them to the museum you stole them from, they were the idiots who put high-powered magic artefacts on public display."

I take the pouch containing them out of my harness and hand them over. She takes them, then hesitates.

"You cleaned these, r-?"

"Yes."

"Okay."

"How are the Legion taking finding out about the source of your powers?"

"I'm not a member-member, though Rokk wasn't too happy about it." She shrugs as she slips the pouch into her cleav-. Br-. Clothing. She then takes a breath, then floats up a few centimetres into the air, beaming. "Great! Supergirl of the Future is back in action!"

"It's a bit wordy, but whatever makes you happy."

"So what happens to Truggs? You going to try and send him with us?"

"Oh no. The four of you were potential existential problems, but the worst we had on you was using a false federal ID. Truggs on the other hand has a long list of criminal offences and he will be punished for them."

Hunter closes the hatch he was working on and then stands up. "We're ready."

Dana and the others enter the time sphere. It's a little crowded in there, but it doesn't have to be comfortable for long. One jump sideways and then another jump forwards once they've got back in touch with their base and arrange a pickup. There's no joy -their mission was a failure from the start- but I think Saturn Girl and Magnet Boy are at least relieved. Something like I would be if I could return to my own time after months in medieval England.

A ripple in space time and they're gone, and I don't need to be here any longer. I raise my right hand to-.

"Orange Lantern." Ms. Lance hesitates for a moment. "Paul."

"Yes?" I lower my hand. "I'm sorry, the Nabu snap was uncalled for. Unless it turns out that they actually haven't gotten rid of him."

"No, that's-. Under the circumstances, I can see why you brought it up. Is there..? Anything you want to talk about?"

"How we're going to track down Truggs? What he's actually being charged with? I thought you'd-."

"No, Paul. Kara tried to rape you."

"Oh. Ah… No? She was clearly under the influence of the black kryptonite, so I'm not going to hold it against her. Maybe insist that she get a bit more training not directly related to control of her powers, but I don’t think she's planning on making a habit of this."

"No, I don't mean, 'are you mad at her?'. I mean-."

"Do I feel like I was almost horribly violated?" She nods. "No, I don’t. I like Kara. If she'd been in her right mind and I wasn't seeing Jade, I'd be all for it." I shrug. "And if having sex with an attractive woman prevents her going on a murderous rampage, that's fine too. Though, thank you. I do appreciate your concern." I smile at her. "Good evening."

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  15. Cherico

Cherico Connoisseur.

still think Kara is better then Jade, then again I think Zatana is better then jade.

boo600, EgyptianDio, Bud-E and 55 others like this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe 'yet, he's earned'

Add 'travel' somewhere in there.

You shouldn't sound so happy, Dinah.

Though it's understandable.

'this era'

Remove 'to'

'has a long list

Is the next episode paragon or renegade focused?

17. Kalem_Lee

Kalem_Lee Well worn.

I mean, where is the lie?

18. HearthBorn

HearthBorn Know what you're doing yet?

Except the whole underage thing with Zatana. Not sure what age this Kara is.

19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I hope we actually get to see Kara in the next part. I'm wondering if Zatanna will be the one to give her support, since she's literally been where Kara was.

20. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Black Canary: "Paul, Kara tried to rape you."
    Paul, Enlightened Avarice: "How unfortunate for her."

I gotta say, the slowly diverging mental processes are a treat to watch.

21. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Weirdo.
    Do agree about the mind control though. Does it count as mind control if there was no intention behind it? Just a glowy rock? Unless Truggs had it spring loaded to fire on the off chance a Kryptonian raided his place.

The Dial does some weird shit bit Supergirl summonings is a bit of a stretch.

22. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Is this going to come up soon as Paragon finding out what the League did (aka nothing) in the canonical timeline and break down laughing? You wrote a comment saying something to that effect but I forget if it was an actual planned thing to happen in the story.

I feel like a lot of users seem to ignore that. Peter Wynne from Earth-12 could have worked as a pairing with Zatanna maybe, though him and Barbara work too.
    Is there any universe where a Paul is in a relationship with a guy?

It's also kind of ironic since I can imagine Enlightened Compassion Saul, or just regular Indigo Saul, having the exact same response. It's very true to the 'all colors are part of one whole' principle.

23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, letting the nominal expert handle programming things like trans-parallel displacement, eh? And using one of his own Time Spheres to get them home. Nice of him, though I suspect the League had to call in some favours...

...Dammit, I just had to play 'LEGO DC Super-Villains' just before this, didn't I? Now I can't hear him as anyone but that voice. :D ...And it is good.

Jason, to remind people. Rip's nominal nemesis. And from the sound of it, a bit of an arsehole.

I mean, it's not like anything they can do now would damage this timeline, merely spawn new ones... But yes, it is a bit irresponsible to let them have at it... Just look at how much trouble that 'mad man with the blue box' got into...

And because he's already been there, he can't revisit the same era without risking nasty paradoxes... And that's assuming he could get a time machine in the first place. Ugly, sticky situation...

They've probably already got at least one Rip Hunter...

Shut up before someone puts a boot up you, Rex...

Though I wonder how long that'll last if he ever runs out of historical data to work from.

Forgive them, OL, they're only human. ;) Most people have enough trouble coping with the complexities of one reality, much less multiple...

Indeed. One of the failings of Canon YJ...

Which does raise the question of things like Hugo Danner and his tribes. All those little improvements OL made to this timeline...

Ah, good, doing the smart thing and getting rid of a potential threat.

Cham likes blondes? Well, they are good-looking young women. But I rather suspect he can sense the similarities and variations in them...

As long as you don't come looking for trouble, I think OL can tolerate it... Though a good long chat with Brainiac 5 might be overdue...

...Did she actually not consider that they'd be worried when she disappeared? So much for mature.

Well, she is one of his side projects, however minor.

No funny business, now. If you try anything, Batman probably has a dozen ways to take you down plotted out. Never mind having two Supergirls of various power levels to help out..

:p What, afraid of a few bodily fluids? I'd be more worried about Kara getting an infection down there, but Kryptonian.

Ah, a handy loophole to allow her to work with them without breaking Legion by-laws...

You assume he'll survive his next encounter with OL in one piece?

...What's left of him, anyway. He won't be up to much until Circe or whoever finishes regrowing the bits OL removed.

...Why do I get the feeling there's an Alternate who did end up there? And ended up joining whatever pre-flashpoint equivalent of the Demon Knights existed back then? And probably suffering.

Oh, no. Is she going to try playing psychotherapist again? Not her job!

Dinah, you're going to have to be direct. Remember how dense OL can be?

Oh, that. :oops:

That inhuman clarity that comes from Enlightenment at work... That and ten secret years of maturity...

Want the end, want the means, after all. I honestly don't think if she actually had forced the matter. he'd be angry. Disappointed, yes. Angry, no. More concerned with what Jade would think, probably.

To be fair, he's probably one of the few men on Earth capable of withstanding a Kryptonian in full... Passion, outside of the Dannered tribes of Brazil.. So if she 'cooled off' after having her way with him, all the better? :oops:Definitely wanting to see how she's holding up. Maybe in the next Paragon chapter. But it looks like, for now, this little episode's done after tomorrow. Onwards to the next adventure!

24. DAT_NOOB

TBF Jade is not a high bar.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Her previous appearances did not give a good example of her maturity.

Super STD.

Some versions have ended up in what can be considered a post Flashpoint universe, like the Angel Paul, who ended up in the animated movies universe, which has significant n52 details.

And the Paul that ended up in Nazi World, which was a 2015 comic if I remember correctly.

And I can imagine him trying to have Al Jabr use his inventions for uplifting.

And we do have one version that ended up in the distant past, though not to medieval times, and more like prehistoric.

She's probably the best qualified on the entire League, since Gardner isn't on Earth.

Go easy on her, most people can't believe that someone would be that dense.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  26. 1moleman

1moleman Know what you're doing yet?

This last scene really highlights something that has grown very apparent in this story:

These episodic adventures really have no lasting consequences on the characters. Its been so long since Paul has actually had something that affected him for more than a few chapters, most of the time he is back to usual within a few chapters, and if it moves to the next arc it is instantly forgotten.

One thing I enjoyed about the start of this story is the progress the characters made in their developement: examples: Kon finding he doesn't need to compare to superman and finding a family, the whole Zatana debacle, even the whole dies->heaven arc was some character growth (if limited) but now it really seems like Paul is increasingly becoming less a character and more of a lens to comment on various other comics.

I dont even remember when last Jade was even in a chapter but Paul is still pining after her, it feels increasingly disconnected from the DC universe.

27. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I'm fairly sure Jade would have been cool with it, it's just that Paul's Paul gets in the way.

28. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That makes me want to see her suggesting a threesome and having Paul decide who their third would be, just for fun.

29. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

And then he's created a whiteboard with names just flying up there, and they talk about them as he erases them. He actually has to think before putting up Artemis, and then doesn't because she's Jade's sister. And he's still conflicted about it. Jade's just facepalming, grinning over it.

30. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

last -> past