1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

That's very unfortunate.

As a History Buff, fan of Discworld, Brit Coms and British SciFi (Mostly Doctor Who and Red Dwarf with less interest in Douglas Adams work) I got the reference.

That's good, hopefully he either exposed himself or made another Cave man an immortal superhuman instead.

NightmareWarden and Bud-E like this.
  2. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Wouldn't creating another immortal cave-man make a host of new problems? It's possible that this new cave-man does the exact same thing or worse to the world. Also since no one knows how the meteor works just exposing yourself to it could make you insane.

Vorian likes this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ancient Paul may be able to view how the meteor alters a person and make sure that it doesn't have any negative effects on the individual.

Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Okay, changing my mind. Once he worked out that he was pre-Savage, he just scanned the system for an asteroid heading for Earth that had anomalous properties.

There was actually a comic where Savage haunted the Wayne family for generations until he could get to the main body of the asteroid whose fragment granted him immortality.

5. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

The astroid sounds pretty magical. Is it kryptonite magical, as in functioning off rules of reality that do not exist in real life, but apply to the world of the story, or metaphysical magical, where the thing functions off of a connection to the Source or the Dream, or some otherwise undetectable by mundane means power source?

DrThoth likes this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think it's the whole 'kryptonite magical', which is basically the science of the comic universe.

7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Wouldn't that have drained his ring to nothing long before he found anything?

8. Bud-E

Wait so did Ancient Paul still stop him from becoming immortal? Or did he befriend him before he became immortal?

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Judging by Zoat's comment I'm guessing he stopped him from becoming immortal by intercepting the meteor.

Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  10. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In canon, it's been radioactive, it's been invested with alien nanites, it's been Darkseid's hyper-adapter, it's been a Controller experiment, and it's been a time travelling piece of sunstone imbued with Superman's powers.

So since YJ made Vandal the granddaddy of the metagene, a fanfic author could make Earth's metahumans the New New Gods of the 5th world, the next Guardians of the Universe, or the inheritors of Krypton.

Or I suppose use Vandal's connection to Cain to tie metahumans to the Jacobian who speaks the Adamic language which is the source code of reality which theoretically brings omniscience and omnipotence.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I thought he was called the Ancestor? Or is that what some people call him, and he mostly just uses the Ancient when asked what his name is?

12. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Now I am interested in a story where Caveman-Savage and Peter Parker swap places. Each of them is capable of becoming the person they are known to be in other universes/timelines, but for this scenario… what would a caveman with “spider” powers do in a modern city (would he get captured by Ozcorp?) and what would an immortal Peter Parker get up to (without his traditional powers)?

I wonder if any Reach infiltrators managed to get a scan of the time machine which returned the Legion members to their future. We know from the Qwa-matter incident that there are technological ways to get around Ring scans.

And now I’m curious if Qwa matter is capable of injuring the Endless siblings.

Cuchulin, Bud-E and Vorian like this.
  13. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

They could ask Jay before bringing Blizen.

Cuchulin likes this.
  14. Threadmarks: Past Participant (part 19)
    Mr Zoat

16th September 2012
    17:21 GMT -2

"Look, I know what Kon's peak output is because we tested it, but…" I look around the clean-scoured seabed where once Atlantis rested. "If you were where he is, could you boil us down here?"

Superman focuses on looking around. Not hard to work out what happened, given what we observed of La Palma. It looks like Demon Superman set it off early, as well as several other megatsunami trigger locations, and the resulting pressure wave tore the undersea cities apart.

"Honestly? I don't know. I've never deliberately tried to go all-out before."

I boggle.

"S-seriously?"

"I haven't found anything I couldn't melt with a little effort. I don't want to set any people on fire, so I try not to use it too much. Not at high power, anyway."

"I suppose you're more of a police officer than a soldier. Still, it might be worth knowing, just in case."

"It might." He finishes looking around and returns his eyes to me. "My vision's not perfect with all this silt and residual magic around, but I can't see any evidence that there's anyone still living here."

Darn. A company of Atlantean archmages would be a big help in fixing this world's magic systems. But I guess that Demon Superman would realise that pretty quickly as well.

Okay, so as far as I know, neither China nor Russia have any real experience with travel to parallel universes. Some mad scientists in America do or did, but that puts us firmly in Demon Superman's sights.

"How about Eden? You know where the entrance is, don't you?"

"Yes. But… We're trying to find evidence of the Light poking around or a connection to Overman's Earth. Actually fighting Demon Superman can wait until we have a team assembled."

"If the evidence is in America, we're going to have to go there. And that'll be a lot easier without him watching us the whole time."

"Yes, but-." I frown. "Is something wrong? Did he say-."

"I can hear them. All the people… Crying out for relief. For mercy. Calling my name to-. Him."

"Underwat-?" No, that's the wrong thing to say. "I'm sorry to hear that. But they've borne it for two years, and it's better we be sure than clumsy."

"I know. It's just that I hear them all the time, and now that I've started I can't stop. And yes, underwater."

"I assume that the Demon you knows that."

"I can't imagine that he doesn't. Where next?"

"I.. think the next thing to do would be to check sites of magical imprisonment. Or… Sensitivity. I mean, the world's lousy with demonic magic but we haven't seen any actual demons yet and I'm not sure why."

"Are things so bad that demons can just appear out of thin air?"

"They should be able to. There could be something happening on the Hell side that means they can't or.. won't. I'm not sure what that might be… Unless they've realised the long term problem of corrupting everyone."

"I can't say I've had much to do with demon summoners, but I remember a few names from the League's database. A lot of them were in London."

I nod. "We can meet up with-"

Out of the corner of my eye I notice that the silt appears to be moving, more light being absorbed by the deeper parts of the ocean.

"-the Overs."

Scan?

Working.

"I think we should-"

Black pillars studded with screaming wide-mouthed faces erupt through the murk all around us, merging in the ocean over our heads to form a ceiling that cuts out what little light was reaching us. I switch to ring scans quickly enough to watch the blackness spread all around, utterly enveloping us in tenebrous… Matter? Energy? Some sort of construct? I mean, that looked like Richard Swift's ability, but I don't remember him operating under water.

"-leave."

Superman turns around, taking in the change in circumstances.

"The Shade?"

"Or someone else with a connection to the Shadowlands. I don't think that the Atlanteans were studying that, but this is a parallel universe."

I make my ring shine, but all I'm getting is more grinning faces, all sort of merged into one another. Some I'm looking on from the outside and others I… Think I'm seeing from the inside. I'm also getting weak tactile feedback, like they're pressing on me just enough to let me know that this is a tactile sensation and not some visual illusion.

I try making it glow brighter but I'm not getting a better return. Okay, I don't think we need anything from anyone with Shadowlands access. If this isn't actually going to trap us here we might as well leave.

"Do you want to talk to him?"

"Shade! We've come to help!"

"Help?" / "Help?" / "Help?" / "Help?" / "Help?" / "Help?" / "Help?" / "Help?" / "Help?" / "Help?"

A hundred mouths speak as one, two hundred eyes focusing on our tiny forms.

"We need no help. / Help. / Help. The Shadowlands rise to consume the light. / Consume. / Rise!"

"We're not talking to Shade, are we?"

About two thirds of the mouths smile.

Mouths mounted on tentacles leap from the murk to latch onto Superman -armour!- while in my case they just bite down, multiple points of stress appearing all over as the teeth try to pierce my construct, worrying back and forth with fangs which don't appear to be limited to conventional physics. Superman tries to grip and tear, but while he can pull the lamprey-like mouths off himself, there's nothing to tear them from. The tentacles just merge with the rest of the blackness and are replaced with new tentacles almost immediately.

Message incoming.

Ah, looks like Green Man came through. That's not everything-.

"We need to leave!"

"No-!"

Superman tears a tentacle off his right cheek and tries a burst of heat vision. The tentacle wriggles slightly but doesn't appear to be significantly damaged.

"Kidding!"

I push my armour outward, growing jet engines underneath and pushing myself upwards. Superman follows suit, and I take a moment to be impressed that he's actually flying in one direction while turning around to better fight off the mouths assailing him. His leggings and jumper have a few tears in them, but I can't see any serious injuries.

I jerk to a halt as an unusually large mouth with grinding teeth grabs hold of me, trying to anchor me in place rather than bite through. I generate crumbler gauntlets and punch, the black outline semi-fading around them as I swing.

High speed, catch up with Superman…

Shouldn't we have reached the surface by now?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  15. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Broken italics and bold tags.

Never mind.

ChestBurster and 0zymandias like this.
  16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'reached'.

17. Bud-E

Of course now that he's mid-mission on demon earth he wants to gather allies and form a plan

Prince Charon, Ardy, Istaran and 7 others like this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe 'Atlantis once rested'

Hmm, I'm getting some Azazel feelings here.

The guy was basically a black club with multiple mouths in it.

'trying to pierce'

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  19. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I wonder if Hell managed to shove too much energy into an unshackled Titan. Specifically a Titan connected to darkness or something primal, as opposed to “foresight” or so-on. Demons invading the underworld in order to loot Tartarus… fun times!

Alternatively summoning magics are messed up on this planet due to the weird portal situation. Basically if any demon tries to pop up on this world, they are instead redirect and turned into fuel for a portal to another DC universe.

edit: Hey Mr Zoat? Did Paul and Canis Minor ever talk about Warhammer 40k (or Warhammer Fantasy) lore? Does Canis have any thoughts on the various factions or entities?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

A Titan of Darkness would be Erebus, the Greek underworld.

21. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

So much for the Atlanteans, then... At least I guessed right about them checking. Presumably Aquaman and his companions are under Demon Superman's sway, while any local survivors are very well hidden away.

Not something you want to mess about with, given that it is possible to heat the air around you until it turns into ionised plasma.... Which isn't particularly friendly for anyone.

World of Cardboard, and all that. Is it so unbelievable that he might not want to push his luck? And why do I get the feeling that now he might well have to before this ends...

Well, given that it's one of his few known weaknesses... Even the stupidest Superman would know to cover his ass in that respect. If this is one of the smart ones, with all those Kryptonian Science Council gene-mods that some universes end up with...

:rolleyes: Ah, Comics. Everything happens in America, of course.

And poking Eden might put you squarely in the Silver City's sights. Especially since they haven't lifted a finger yet.

Yeah, the downside of always-on superpowers.

Hey, sound does carry further underwater, that's a known scientific fact. What part that might play in Kryptonian supersenses, I don't know...

And all the while Demon Superman is chuckling to himself that sooner or later, one of the new guys is going to break... His demonic rider is probably laughing its' ass off at the chance to corrupt more Kryptonians...

I'm guessing Rakkar, the Kryptonian demon responsible for this, made a deal with the lords of Hell. I bet every soul that dies ends up in their hands, claws, tentacles or other appendages, regardless of previous arrangements.

Funny how that works, huh? :rolleyes:

Well, shit. Some ancient Atlantean power taking notice of its visitors, or perhaps something older?

Unfortunately, if it's too magical, the Ring might have trouble making sense of it...

Yeah, definitely time to run. Preferrably as fast as you can possibly move underwater.

To be honest, I suspect he'd be a lot more powerful in the middle depths, where there's little light, but not deep enough that things make their own light... But a proper English Gentleman like him would rather avoid such situations...

And there's a surprising number of people with shadow powers of some kind. I mean, it is one of the more interestingly visual powers in comics, after all...

Ah, OL... I suspect you're already trapped, and don't realise it yet...

Though I suspect this will be like talking to a tornado and expecting an answer...

How very... Eldritch.

Assuming Shade isn't dead or converted into one of Demon-Superman's slaves... I doubt he's in control of things in the Shadows either.

Impressed it didn't simply use the teeth like chainsaws. I suppose it'll try that if this fails...

Not now, OL.Escape the elder thing first, worry about reading your Ring-mail later. Would that make it Maille? :p

;) Gee, you think? Ah, OL, that British understatement at work.

Ouch. That would feel rather unpleasant...

Wow, he's actually not just taking the usual swimmer's pose? A rare occasion! Pity he had to be at risk of limb and limb to do it.

Welp. Looks like you're going to have to break out of the Shadowland, then, by the looks of it...

This day is just going from worse to worse (It started out bad and went down from there, honestly...) Compared to this, going back to fighting the Reach is going to be a vacation. Might be time for Superman to see what he can really do when he cuts loose, I think. Because I suspect that's what it's going to take for him to get out of this...

Something missing in there, I think. Maybe "-the Overs."

22. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

Nope. Nope! Hell nope!

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  23. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I like that you're finally adding the british accent to his speech.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  24. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

25. Mr Zoat

No, that's correct as-is. Also, you misspelled 'Atlantis'.
    Thank you, corrected.
    The rules held no appeal, but Canis did take a look at the background section. He didn't think much of it.
    Thank you, corrected.

26. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

studded

27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Huh. Seems like something fucked over the seperation between not just Earth and Hell but other places, like the Shadowlands, too.

I wonder what else is leaking?

Doccer and Xmaster3000 like this.
  29. Clell65619

Clell65619 Making the rounds.

A bit of oddness my OCD noticed with the Chapter Timestamps. A lot of things appear to be happening at once

Part 11: 2005 GMT+1 so, 19:05
    Part 12: 19:16 GMT
    Part 13: 19:21 GMT
    Part 14: 19:26 GMT
    Part 15: 19:29 GMT
    Part 16: 19:46 GMT <-- The latest events of this sequence so far
    Part 17: 19:59 GMT+1 so, 18:53 a step back?
    Part 18: 19:04 GMT <-- Paul waiting to speak to the Queen
    Part 19: 17:21 GMT-2 so, 19:21.

Paul managed to do his business with who ever is sitting on England's (Britain's?) throne, get back to Superman and do a lookie-loo at the remains of Atlantis in 17 minutes?

For that matter Part 13 and part 19 have the same timestamp, accounting for timezones.

Was this intentional or a flub with the times? Do we have a single Paul and company playing in this Hell-Earth dimension, or have multiple versions all decided to do the tour at the same time.

OCD is a terrible thing.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  30. Mr Zoat

You appear to have missed that yesterday's segment was from the viewpoint of Overgirl.