1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Paul is bisexual right? Have we see any version of him dating a man?

2. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

There was that one Mother of Mercy daydream where he, M'gann, and Kon were all in one poly relationship.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

That version of Jade neither has a cat theme nor a criminal record.

4. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Well, of course not. I just said that. She has a green lantern theme, and if she had a criminal record, the Guardians probably wouldn't have given her a ring.

5. Michael Vonica

I think it's more of a sexual preference thing. As in, he finds certain male physiques to be pleasing, and it wouldn't be a barrier when it comes to starting a relationship. Probably the same for any traditionally male traits. But Pauls seem to not want to pursue sexual interest without a corresponding romantic interest. And they very much have a type. So, I guess the requirement for a Paul to actually enter into a relationship with another man would be to find a man matching his preference (cat, criminal, strong, or some combination), who is pleasing to the eye, and actually expresses a reciprocal interest. And all this before he is able to meet up with a woman who he decides he wants to pursue. Because when presented with multiple options like that, Paul seems to want to stick with his first choice for as long as he reasonably can.

ChestBurster, Bud-E and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Zoat was talking about Jade Nguyen.

So Catman may be a good match for Paul.

Granted I think he's straight, so he may be out.

Though he does fulfill all of the other traits Paul apparently finds attractive.

7. Michael Vonica

I kind of want to laugh but... I kind of want to see it even more. Paul and Catman going to the afterlife in order to resurrect Catman's lost family of lions.

8. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

Kind of depends on how you view Paragon's interactions with Lex, maybe?

I mean, it didn't go as far as an explicitly romantic relationship, but their relationship always read to me like someone who's making excuses for a person they're attracted to, and deeply in denial about that person's ability to actually change.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul really fulfills a lot of characteristics we would typically see in an abusive/toxic relationship, like trying to "fix" a person and being in denial about their character.

10. Mr Zoat

[​IMG]

11. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

makes it

other than

fought beside

12. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

than

moralrelativity and ChestBurster like this.
  13. Threadmarks: Vantavendi (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

20th October 2012
    19:56 GMT -5

"Oh." Hartley Rathaway looks decidedly surprised on the small screen attached to his workplace's front door intercom. "Orange Lantern. Ah. What brings you here?"

New Kara floats up behind me, putting her hands on my shoulders. "And Supergirl!"

"Yeah. Ah, hi?"

"Three members of the Alliance of the Just have been murdered by a woman using possessed handguns, and we-. That is to say, the Justice League, have finally twigged that we don't know all that much about the way the organisation works. We-."

"Oh.. God, who? Who died?"

"Vigilante, White Dragon-"

That gets a frown.

"-and Black Orchid."

"I didn't really know any of them. White Dragon was the fire guy with the red and white power armour?"

"That's right."

"I met him once-. Do I.. need a lawyer?"

"Noo!" New Kara shakes her head. "We just wanna know background stuff about an organisation you're part of! You haven't done anything illegal!"

"Though… Given that that's probably what police would say before they tried to get you to incriminate yourself, I'd totally understand if you wanted one."

"But you're not investigating me?"

"I don't know, do we need to?" He looks decidedly-. "Sorry, sorry. I meant that as a joke, but it was-. Poor taste."

"Uh-huh." He glances at something off-camera. "I guess you might as well come in. Just the two of you?"

"Uh-huh!"

Kara's still beaming cheerfully at the monitor, and I'm just now remembering her response to a 'hippy' and I'm not sure if she has equivalent feelings about homosexuals. Kryptonians didn't have specific hang-ups about same sex relationships on Krypton 16, but as far as I remember only had fairly mild contempt for people like the Daxamites who opted out of technologically advanced society. I guess that her original parallel might be different?

There's a buzz, and the door before us unlocks. I push in with New Kara floating along behind me, looking around everywhere in apparent fascination. There's no reception area, just two ground level doors and a staircase up to the first floor.

Oh. I don't know if New Kara needs to do the slight squint thing that Kon and Kal-El need to in order to use alternate visual modes. She might well be staring through the building.

"Up here."

Mr. Rathaway's opened the upstairs door and is waving down to us. I walk up the staircase, while Kara skips the stairs and flies up to him.

"Hey there!"

"Hello." He looks at her for a moment, then a mild frown appears on his face. "Ah-. This is going to sound like a strange question, but… Is there more than one Supergirl?"

"Yes! Five of us so far!"

"That's… Confusing. Have you considered using a different name?"

"No! And we're aiming for six!"

"If it helps, there are hundreds of Orange Lanterns. And we call this one 'New Kara'."

She folds her arms across her chest. "Kara Six Six Six should be 'New Kara'! We found her after we found me!"

"She's been on Earth for longer than you."

Kara pouts. "Phooey! I'll just have to wait until Cir-El turns up! The she'll be New Supergirl and I'll be Old New Supergirl!"

"Do you-? Do you want to come in my workshop?"

"Thank you, yes."

We follow him into what appears to be half office and half high-tech workshop. I-.

"Is that a nanofabricator? I hadn't realised Doctor Roquette was ready for a commercial release yet."

"She's.. not. Lenny had to agree to keep the cold system in working order himself, it's.. really temperamental. But being able to fabricate nanoscale-accurate structures is invaluable in my work, and Doctor Roquette gets my maintenance log, so..."

I frown, taking another look around. "What are you working on? When Lenny told me you got a job as a sound engineer, I was.. sort of assuming he meant 'stage sound systems'."

"That's… That would be a complete waste of my time. Like.. asking him to work in freezer maintenance. Take a… Take a seat."

He gestures to a couple of low set seats near what I assume to be his main desk, and I sit down. Kara decides to sit in the air instead. Mr. Rathaway stares for a moment, then shakes his head and returns his attention to me.

"You wanted to know about the Alliance?"

"You gave me the impression that you knew White Dragon. I mean…" I hold up my hands in a 'stop' motion. "We already know who killed him, so I'm not-"

"No, I get it."

"-trying to interrogate you, but if I could get some idea…"

"He's… I don't know if he was actually a Nazi or not, but he was part of some sort of white nationalist group. He kept his mouth under control most of the time, but it was pretty clear that he thinks-. Thought, I mean, of immigrants and black people as criminals in waiting. He didn't like gays much either."

I raise my eyebrows.

"And the Alliance was alright with that?"

"The Alliance is about making vigilantes more effective." He shrugs. "They don't really care if he goes after ethnic minority criminals as long as they are criminals. And… It's not a command and control relationship. We don’t work for the Alliance. It helps us get the tools we need to work, but that's about it. And vigilantism is usually a crime, it's just that the police don't bother enforcing the laws against it a lot of the time."

"What are you making!?"

"Huh?" Kara's floated over to a mostly-complete machine and is studying it in fascination. "Oh. It's an ultrasound emitter for cancer treatment. Purple healing rays and other magic healing work on disease and physical injuries better than surgery or conventional medicine, but neither of them do much to stop cancer. But it turns out that a lot of the time cancerous cells are just different enough to other cells that the right pitch of sound can destroy them while leaving the healthy cells untouched." He smiles happily. "I'll be able to help a lot of people once it gets approval."

"I'm glad to hear it. So how did you and White Dragon meet?"

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No shit.

You gotta even the numbers out.

Though only one who us an Illustres and Orange Lantern 2814.

'far longer'

I think she's in Tangseid's universe.

Well if we're gonna see New Kara splatter Tangseid over a wall then I'm all for it.

'but neither'

Nice to see him utilize his talents like this.

15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

16. Mr Zoat

No, that's fine.
    Thank you, corrected.

17. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'Thought'.

This is a pragmatic but understandable reasoning. Is there any chance that members of the Alliance can "get promoted" or something to the Justice League?

Why was New Kara screaming when she asked Pied Piper this? Also, that should say 'neither'.

18. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

' neither '

19. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

The guy's cape name was White Dragon. Combined with the racism, that pretty much screams KKK.

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Ironically, he wasn't a KKK member.

21. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Sounds like something at least Accomplished Perfect Physician should also be able to do, plus any adepts in sound-based magic, though I can appreciate the possible difficulties that traditional arcane arts would have in operating on the cellular scale.

Can Physician teach others his techniques while alive? I always thought it would be a cool upgrade for Black Canary. What's the source/principles of Physicin's powers? Tibetan Buddhism, Taoism, something similar? His singing was analogous to New God abilities as implied in the fight with the Key.

I forget exactly what it was, but Kordtech was testing some Dreaming-based object that granted perfect sleep to those who heard it, right? Will Hartley get involved with that stuff and/or play any role in dealing with the magic whistle that Sara Smart/Sally Sonic uses?

Also how old is he compared to, say, Aqualad? I think it'd be sweet to see the latter find a guy since Canis and his canon love interest are off the table. Studying marine echolocation spells together is a cute mental image.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It was a whistle used by those two Dreaming residents that kidnapped Melinoe.

ChestBurster, Ardy and DrThoth like this.
  23. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

No. I think their higher ups have fancier bedsheets.
    Like the grand dragon uses only the finest and prettiest red ones. Like the top D&D evil dragons.

So if he was KKK, he should have had a different color to show he was above the rank and file.
    Golden Dragon might equal KKK though.

24. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, the chirpy one. This promises to be entertaining. I'm not sure either OL or Hartley will be able to put up with her cheeriness for too long, but at least she'll bring a lighter mood to matters.

...Kara does know the Team isn't to be talked about, right? I mean, I doubt it's a secret that the Super-sidekicks have their own little group, but...

Yes, I can't imagine he liked Piper much. Not at all.

Hardly the most subtle fellow. Honestly amazed he didn't just call himself Grand Dragon or the like. :rolleyes: Then again, Comics Code...

Feeling guilty about something? Or just force of habit from your Rogue days?

...I don't think 'Smart cop, dumb cop' is going to work too well here. ...I leave it to the reader as to who's which. :p

Indeed. Unlike some of his fellow Rogues, Hartley is not proud of his criminal days...

Hmm... Experiment in progress, or a visitor he doesn't want them seeing?

Let's hope she's more laissez-faire about sexuality. Who knows?

Let's hope there's no sensitive equipment to be disrupted by that kind of scrutiny.

...She's basically taking gravity as a suggestion, isn't she? Then again, if I could fly about like that, I probably would.

Though thankfully not all sharing the same name. That would get really confusing.

I still say she could probably claim Power Girl if she got in quick.

Ah, the debate of seniority amongst interdimensional refugees... The things you could only read in this fic...

...Remind me, how does she know about Cir-El? Did OL mention the possibility at some point or..?

Oooh, tasty. Well, I doubt it's rated for organic-safe foodstuffs, but the possibilities.

Since a huge issue with nano-tech would be managing waste heat. Remember the 'Extremis'-in-name-only from 'Iron Man 3'? Good example of the drawbacks.

...True, given what he can do with sound... Maybe he could create a safe ultrasonic stun-gun? That'd go over well with police forces world-wide.

And no big loss on anyone's part, besides Dragon himself.

So awkward...

;) Yeah, I can just picture the break-room discussions now...

...So they're more of a support group than an actual team. Probably a good thing. Can you see White Dragon sharing a locker-room with Piper?

Okay, now this is a good use of schizo-tech advances. He stands to make a lot of money if he can make it work, and patent/license it for production. I wonder if the Renegade-verse version was working on this.

Finally, we see someone choosing to take the smart route by themselves. 'Cut Lex Luthor a Check' in action! I bet some part of OL is jumping for joy, deep down. Still, worrying information about the Alliance. Letting assholes like White Dragon go about their business without proper oversight sounds like a recipe for trouble. I can't imagine this isn't ringing alarm bells in OL's head.

Glob and Brute, from the Sandman series.

25. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Oh, wonderful. A league of supergirls.

I read the Wiki on Piper. Reformed villains can't catch a break in DC.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Paul mentioned her once, when the two Karas met one another.

He was in a meeting/about to meet the Renegade when the Sheeda attacked. I don't remember if they discussed what he was working on.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't know, Paul can be pretty dense sometimes.

Maybe she used some Kryptonian future viewing tech to see here.

Let's face it, she'd probably have something like that.

They don't have a lot of legal authority so they may not be able to bring legal action against some people.

Plus, as far as they know the only thing White Dragon is guilty if is holding some shitty beliefs, so they can't arrest him but chose to work with him since that way they could probably ensure he's less of a problem.

I think they talked about his tech being used for pest control.

28. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Makes sense if he's working for the alliance and they kept him focused on criminals and not society as a whole it was probably a good thing.

29. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Another idea occurs to me of some kind of ritual using sympathetic magic to place a very targeted curse that kills only cancer cells- again, very specific, but if they can magically distinguish between cancer cells and normal cells, they could/should be able to use an extracted sample of the former to mystically affect only other cancer cells in the body. Healing and killing are two sides of the same coin, and all that.

Cuchulin likes this.
  30. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

They'll need seven for that.

Istaran likes this.