1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You could just see her desires.

'is openly'

Yeah...that's Canis for you.

Always the art lover.

Remove 'said'.

'Death-Doll'

'Liberty-Lass'

'we're handing'

Both of you are too crazy or terrible for her to be effective on you.

Ha!

No kidding.

Maybe the guns were planning on killing her after Ted.

Ohh, boy.

Looks like it is Anti-Life affiliated.

2. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Yes, not exactly a "as described on the tin" situation, but then again, it's not like the Avengers do a lot of avenging as a rule, and the Justice League is not a social club for judges, so that's pretty par for the course.

Although now I'm picturing a fusion setting with Judge Dredd where in fact the Justice League is in fact a league of justices....

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Cuchulin, Bramble Thorn and Ardy like this.
  4. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I thought Canis was taught by a damaged Mother Box? Who's he referring to here?

I do so enjoy reading stories that feature Canis Minor. It lets us see a whole different kind of crazy from the kind Paul usually gets up to.

Her image was one of the ones shown when the Alliance of the Just first appeared, meaning she was an early member, if not a founding member. Empress was a minor character in the grand scheme of things in the comics. so I'm hoping that she'll somehow be added to the Team or something, since she's one of the few good characters to use a fragment of the Anti-Life Equation. By the way, how will the Frees, Canis, and their Motherboxes react to learning that a human girl is able to effectively use even a small fragment of the Anti-Life Equation?

5. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Oh boy, since Anti-Life Equation is involved. Frees will be freaked out.

Otto von Saurion and Ardy like this.
  6. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

The only thing Canis is missing when it comes to being a devoted artist is being a starving artist. But I don't think he could ever pull that off, what with him likely being free from all but the basest of material needs, thanks to his godhood. Plus the team covering any of his extra expenses, and his access to super advanced technology that could provide him with just about anything else he needs. Maybe back on Apokolips, he spent the hungry nights obsessing over his art, to fill the void?

Otto von Saurion, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  7. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The Renegade either told Lynne or thought to himself that he's unaware of any New God dying of starvation, so it might literally be impossible for them.

8. edmantgoog

edmantgoog Not too sore, are you?

funny name

Deadring likes this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe he took some art classes from a human to better understand their art.

Scott and Barda would be worried and freaked out.

Canis would be excited.

Otto von Saurion, Ardy and Ngamer11 like this.
  10. Michael Vonica

Yup. Can't quite be a starving artist if you can't starve. He also won't be able to suffer from the elements with that strong body of his. Could probably go nude in the Arctic and suffer minimal consequences. He could live in a shack or rundown apartment somewhere, and only wear cheap rags, but it would probably be taken more as 'look at how I obviously contrast to my environment', rather than 'my pursuit of true beauty has driven me to my absolute limits'.

11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I rather think she'd be happy to have it undone. The surface changes, at least. There's probably enhancements under the skin, but if they're not well-tuned... It might cause lingering pain. Still, OL's not here to fix broken dolls...

Canis, remember that talk about appropriate timing? Still, I doubt there's anything sexual in it. He doesn't seem the sort for mere physical attraction.

See? Pure artistic appreciation.

Well, it depends on the person, and their culture...

I love that subtle difference. He says 'Nude', she thinks 'Naked'. There's certainly a difference.

Yeah, her 'edginess' is the sort a twelve-year-old boy might find interest in. Blood! Guns! Sexiness! All the trappings of adulthood with none of the maturity...

Boy, OL is being remarkably self-aware this episode.

Your husband, perhaps? Given that she said 'married' in the present tense... x3 I think Canis might well enjoy painting them together...

Hora, hora... I hope she remembers to ask him to keep the results private...

Now, back on topic... Always getting distracted, these two.

The Alliance definitely seems more oriented to rookie capes. People who might otherwise have found themselves being painted on the villainous side of the line through excessive force, over-enthusiastic investigations or straight up thuggery...

Yeah, she doesn't strike me as a joiner. All those bad experiences.

How little? Teenager? Preteen? That's pretty significant.

Man, I can just imagine the improvised costumes. Modified gym gear as far as the eye can see...

Sounds like it's an ego thing for some. Probably more productive than getting into bar fights or racing hotted-up cars.

Ah, the difference between men and women...

Though I suspect other people might have mentioned that sort of thing.

And I just picture him doing the 'look down then up, raise eyebrow' thing...

Well, incompetent assassins can make for useful distractions. Like the Blockbustered guy in South Korea Rhelasia, way back when.

Sounds like word about Crimson Avenger spread fast amongst the Community. Bet more than a few with red in their ledger have been paranoid since then.

Canis, still on the clock. Save the chatting for later.

Come on, you can't tell me you're not a little interested in being appreciated for your looks now?

Just be sure to get her husband involved, Canis. I'm sure you'll enjoy both their company...

With an eyeroll as he goes, I bet.

Come on, OL, it's not like they have a xenotech hyper-computer strapped to their fingers.

I hope they at least censored people's faces. I doubt some of the folks going to these meetings would appreciate being outed on Lex-book.

Well, that's concerning. I rather suspect the New God associates of the League will be very interested in meeting her, though. The biggest question is what connection she has to Crimson Avenger. Is someone using her little passenger to provide targetting for the Guns, forcing them to eliminate potential threats to future plans? Let the investigation continue!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  12. Michael Vonica

Wait, Canis has willingly decided to live on Earth in pursuit of his art. Could it be that, in a universal sense, he's already hit rock bottom? Living on a backwater planet with only the barest of necessities, like some sort of hermit?

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think it was less him choosing to stay and mire Scott and Barda making him stay so they could keep an eye on him.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Canis: Yes, of course I remember. But shy would I listen to anything you said?

Yes there is.

No one can tell the difference.

A quintessential 90s superhero.

Even a broken clock...

Paul getting distracted by some stupid philosophical argument and Canis by some piece of art.

Her husband may like how she looks.

True, but their computer is very advanced.

15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

There are no New Gods on the Justice League in the Paragon timeline. The Frees are simply friends with some of the members and will step up if Apokolips is involved.

16. Mr Zoat

The teacher of the college course he is attending.

17. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That is an amusing thought. Are the Frees acting as his minders while he's there so that he doesn't do something unseemly?

18. KaiserDrgn

KaiserDrgn (Verified Dragon)

Everytime a reference to the original Young Justice comics come up, I'm just completely thrilled. Young Justice was my favourite series growing up.

ChestBurster and Xelloss like this.
  19. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

If only there was some way of looking at her emotions. Some sort of mystical empathy power.

20. Mr Zoat

It's kind of rude to go rifling through someone's soul without good cause.

Also, I like the signature.

21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, I was rereading and found these errors.
    The guy's name, as far as I can see, is Albert 'Case'. It's possible you confused him with another character that you have in the story that has a similar last name, Karon Chase, aka Holly Robinson's girlfriend.

22. RichardWhereat

True, but knowing whether someone would want to be fixed, without insulting them by asking, is a decent cause.

Me too, it was an amusing line that I lost my tea at.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'Has done so for'

The words should be closer together.

'coming off of it'

Plus Paul has looked at people's souls without permission before.

24. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

I dunno, the last few arcs have really seemed like Paul is finally growing from his mistakes. It's pretty hard to ignore how most of our more common complaints have been addressed in story lately and how Paul in the story is admitting he may have done things wrong in the past.

The last 6-9 months have been a real breath of fresh air in the story and it doesn't feel like Paul is a stagnate character anymore.

25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, I think that's all fine.

26. RichardWhereat

And making all new fresh mistakes. Which is fantastic.

Otto von Saurion, Ardy, Jaron and 5 others like this.
  27. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

Okay, if you're going to give me an easy question. Sozin was a nationalist.

28. Threadmarks: Vantavendi (part 22)
    Mr Zoat

21st October 2012
    19:17 GMT -5

Richard presses a few buttons.

"Or… No. We don't."

"We don't?"

He brings up… A missing persons report for someone called 'Anita Fite'-.

"Is that her real name?"

"Her dad's name is Donald Fite, so I guess so. She went missing… Sometime after the last of these meetings happened. Looks like we're too late."

Beryl calls up the file and starts flashing through it. "Her dad's an FBI agent. Someone kidnapped an FBI agent's daughter?"

"Did he know she was a superhero?"

"Probably not." Richard's looking at Batman's intelligence records. "Apparently, he… Really doesn't like superheroes. I don't think he'd let her out of the house if he found out what she was doing."

I connect my ring to the League database and extract the relevant files, blinking as my ring's AI orders them for my mental consumption. "A natural talent for vodun-style magic."

Beryl raises her eyes from her screen for a moment. "Do you think she was turning people into zombies? I read the report on Papa Midnite."

"Ah… I wouldn't have thought so. She's in her early teens. Unless one of the more powerful spirits took a real shine to her for some reason, that's not going to happen."

"She's a voodoo witch who can't make zombies? I feel cheated."

"She could probably animate corpses somehow. Sticking a weak demon in a corpse isn't hard. But creating vodun zombies requires some complex soul manipulation that I don't think a teenager with little access to tuition could manage."

I sigh.

"I can't think of a vodun spell or ritual that would produce the results we've seen. And I can't imagine anything that a teenager could cast that Doctor Balewa couldn't detect."

"So…" Beryl slumps slightly. "That's it?"

Richards nods, once, slowly. "We can send a report to Batman, which he'll send to the FBI. But at this point… There isn't a whole lot more we can do. If she's on her own, then… She'll show up on camera eventually. But she could be… Anywhere. And if she's getting help…"

Beryl brings up her psychological profile. "But why would she do it?"

"There's her crime lord grandfather. But I can't see why he'd care about low level American superheroes either."

"And there's no record of her having any contact with him, and her mother came to America specifically to get away from him."

Richard shrugs. "It's another lead, but I'm not sure we really want to tip him off that she's disappeared in case he finds her."

"Then that's it. We've got a suspect we can't find and…" I look at Beryl. "No motive?"

She shakes her head. "Nothing I can see. Maybe Batman will have better luck."

"Then, yeah."

Richard nods. "I'm gunna go through these files some more. See if I can learn anything."

"Yeah." Beryl nods. "It's only five hours ago in England."

"Okay. I've got a few things to do before I head off. Let me know if you need me for anything."

I get a couple of absent-minded nods as they give their screens their full attention before I

step out

and reappear a short distance away from… Blitzen, in civilian clothing. A suit, feminine cut, complete with a trilby. I'm sure she's trying to communicate something with that, but I've got no idea what.

"Hay!" She frowns at me. "Vhat if I had been on the toilet?"

"It would have to be a very large toilet."

We're in… A motorway service station, with attached fast food restaurant. Not particularly busy at this time of day, and in civilian clothing and with a minimal environmental shield glow I don't attract that much attention. Since my particular form of teleportation doesn't cause a lightshow or any noise, people who see it generally just assume that they just happened to not notice me approaching.

I sit down opposite her.

"Any news?"

She shrugs.

"I vent to their little get-together, said hallo, told them about vhere I'm from. If they are going to do something, they have marked me in their books."

"I have a little news on that score. We've taken the guns out of commission and the person we think was marking the targets has vanished."

She moues, nodding.

"Vell, it got me out of the house. Anything else?"

"That doesn't mean that you won't be targeted. Or that we aren't interested in how the Alliance works from an insider. But it's less likely than it was."

I fabricate a data stick and slide it across the table to her.

"That's a summary of our discoveries to date, and this-"

I take a spell eater out of subspace.

"-is an anti-magic ward. Not one hundred percent reliable, but better than nothing. Please destroy the datastick after reading."

She nods, both items disappearing as her right hand blurs.

"Not vorried about me passing the vard to the people at home?"

"Your world doesn't have the arcane infrastructure to make more, and you'd need wizards to make anything like it." I lean forward slightly. "You can't just crib off the kryptonians for this one."

"You mean the superior men from the future?"

I narrow my eyes slightly. "You don't actually believe that version, do you?"

She rolls her eyes. "I don't inhale everything that comes from the Führer's arsehole, no. Did you know they're going to publish a history book that calls the whole period of the First Great Var through to the end of the Second Great Var a single conflict?"

"Um. Why?"

"So ve can pretend ve didn’t lose anything. Just a temporary setback. Ve conquer the whole vorld and our ego is so fragile. Stupid."

"Supermen don't need to tell themselves that they're super. They just are."

"Yah, but vhen your Führer is balding and asthmatic it doesn't pay to say things like that out loud. Anything else?"

"No, that's it. Thank you for your help. Have a pleasant evening."

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  29. Mr Zoat

I imagine that at some point in his life he also ate cabbages.

You know who also ate cabbages? Appa.

Those Sand Benders clearly saved the world.

30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

His last name is 'Midnite', and I believe that's also how his moniker is spelled.

That should say 'took'.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022