1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

If I remember correctly, Captain Comet said he deleted them, though it is almost certain that Brainiac still has a version of them available.

2. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

All that Paul flavor you know and love, but with half the calories and no transfats!

3. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Hmmm.... so what I'm gathering from the mention of a nap is that OL's desire for sleep is greater than his desire to be bright eyed and bushy tailed. Otherwise I reckon his ring would "heal" any fatigue he might have.

Honestly? Understandable.

4. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Traditionally, 'milk' has been the word for, approximately, 'white or whitish liquid that you can drink' (hence for example 'coconut milk'). It's only fairly recently, when animal milks started to become available year-round, that people in the English-speaking world started forgetting that 'nut milk' is indeed the correct term in English.

'Cheese' is still something made with animal-milk, though, so calling a cheese-like food that isn't cheese 'gary' is entirely acceptable to me.

5. MillicentBystander

MillicentBystander Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

This fic is so old we're now getting callbacks,

6. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

That's not cheese. Cheese is made from milk! That's Nut-gary, or even Gary's Nut.

ChestBurster, Ardy and Mr Zoat like this.
  7. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

So, I might be wrong, but I think the Amazonian senate seats have a "I propose whomever for a seat" as a way to get a list for people that should be voted on for that spot. So while Paul might not try to run, somebody might push his name forward, and somebody else might second that.

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    That was something they did for fun off-page. Jade's always had an athletic physique, but wondered what it would be like to more generously proportioned.
    She's far too misandrist to blame a man for doing anything. She's horrified at the actions of many of her fellow Amazons.
    Yes.
    Of course they can deal with waste. The dirt and skin has to go somewhere.
    I... Don't understand why you would. I mean, in my bathroom I could urinate into the toilet from the shower, but... Why wouldn't you just urinate before you got in the shower?
    Thank you, corrected.

9. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Looking at the story dates, it's been about a week. I'm not entirely sure what Paul's been doing, but seeing as how he has time to dabble in Themysciran elections, I don't think he's working all that hard on finding Constantine. And that's really strange, from what I can tell. It's the equivalent to misplacing an unhinged god. And like, five or more people have asked him to look into it, because they think it's really weird. And if Paul has looked into it, and found no trace at all, that's not an excuse to take a break and try again later. It just means that there is something really, really wrong going on.

10. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Well, often times one doesn't have the feeling of needing to urinate until after they've gotten into the shower and that hot water is blasting them.

Wouldn't want to get out of the shower, towel off, pee, then climb back in.

ChestBurster, Jaron and Bramble Thorn like this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Darn it.

I watched a film years ago where one of the characters insisted writing with his feet. When asked why he did that given how much harder it is that writing with his hands, he answered that many worthwhile things were hard to achieve but that was no reason not to do them.

Sadly, I can't remember the name of the film. But I'm disappointed on you lazy arseholes anyway. Do you at least clean the shower afterwards?

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The water in the shower kinda does that.

13. Michael Vonica

When you say this, is it just an observation of how close your shower and toilet are to each other? Or is it something you have experience with?

ChestBurster and Prince Charon like this.
  14. Michael Vonica

Plus the soap.

ChestBurster and Prince Charon like this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Yes.
    No.

16. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Being difficult doesn't make a course of action inherently worthwhile, or superior to a more efficient alternative.

Also, showers have a hole to send away waste fluids that a savvy urinator can aim for. What kind of idiot would pee "upriver" of their own feet?

17. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

The great wisdom that is Seinfeld.

18. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Funny, I always considered plum to be a brisket thing. Apricot with pork is quite nice.

19. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

"Why you want dried leaves in water"

Oh ! I know ! I know !

It's because it's the Briton equivalent of the magic potion !

ChestBurster and mastermenthe like this.
  20. Threadmarks: Coup Data (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

27th October 2012
    06:08 GMT +3

I wave at the fishing boats as I pass over the fleet at sail-height, getting a few waves back from those women who have a free arm. Others are already unloading their catch at the docks, or laying them out at the morning market. I smile as I see one of the night fishers shaking a bucket of ice out over their catch to preserve it.

I did that. They're using ice created using a machine I put into commercial service on Themyscira, and no one acts like it's anything strange. No one's shying away. I mean, it'll be a while before we get to the stage where there are fridges or freezers in every home, and I've… Really got to see about sorting out some way for my fellow Themyscirans to get formal magic tuition-.

After I've found John Constantine. No new projects until that one is done. So far I've only got as far as tracking down every dodgy street magician on the planet and asking if they've seen him. If I'd known there were this many of them I'd have tried to start an actual Trench Coat Regiment.

Huh. Usually, Diana makes a point of being around when it's one of my days in the forum. I'm not sure what she thinks is going to happen; I'm not persuasive enough to convince them to do anything too crazy just by speaking. Maybe she's there as a calming influence. Or maybe she actually finds it funny?

No. No, I don't think it's that.

"Orange Lantern to Wonder Woman. Diana, are you actually giving me a-?"

"Wonder Woman not found."

Oh. Well, that explains it. If she's not on the planet then she can't lurk on the outskirts of the forum, covering her eyes with her right hand and slowly shaking her head.

For example.

I'm not seeing Kon or Mitchell either. Maybe they went with her? Seems… Unlikely though. Mitchell's been trying to catch up on Kon's superior social skills so I doubt that he'd want to miss a weekend like that. Ring-?

Kon and Mitchell are in Mount Justice.

I'm actually a little touched at her faith in m-. No, there's Alkyone. Interesting choice, given that Alkyone likes me more than anyone other than Hippolyta and her three circlemates, but a logical one. She has pretty conservative instincts while still being willing to give me a fair hearing. I should check in with her first.

I cross the lower city forum low enough and slow enough for my passage to be clearly visible to everyone. I see a few regulars -some of whom will be seeking office or trying to keep it- shuffling through their notes in preparation for the morning disputation. Some are recorded on vellum, but it looks like Man's World paper is also making inroads.

Alkyone comes to alert as she sees me heading towards her, and I slow and land a not too close distance in front of her.

"Good morning."

A shallow inclination of the head. "Illustres."

"Did Princess Diana leave a message for me?"

She visibly hesitates, which isn't something I'm used to from her. "Queen Hippolyta requests your presence in the palace."

"Um, okay, I'm at her disposal. Can you give me a clue what this is about?"

"I am sorry." And now there's no doubt, which means that this is something that Queen Hippolyta has ordered her to do or told her is right. "But the Queen wants to tell you herself."

Then that's the most I'm going to get out of her. I look around, but none of the other Amazons appear to be acting strangely. Alright, I.. suppose. It's not as if Hippolyta is unpleasant company.

"Rightoh. Do you want a lift back?"

"The Queen has tasked me with overseeing the debates to make sure that things don't get out of hand."

"Out of hand? Should I leave a camera?"

"Cameras have been forbidden during elections since we first learned of them." She makes a very small smile. "If people wish to see politicians make fools of themselves, they may stir themselves and come to the forum to see it in person."

"Fair enough. Have you given any consideration to how you'll be voting?"

"That will be a matter for consideration once I have heard-." She considers me for a moment. "Yooou are not standing yourself, are you?"

I grin and hold her gaze. Then I raise my arms, holding them out to the sides as if to embrace the world.

"No. Much as it would delight Eris, you would be conducting yourself differently if you were. You are simply playing on my expectations and prejudices."

"You're pretty insightful for a woman who spent ninety years in a box."

"You are fairly insightful also. Do you inhale fumes, as oracles do, or does it come naturally?"

I reduce my smile to slightly more normal proportions, give her a mock-salute with my right hand and then transition to the palace plaza.

Ooh. Demeter's temple is looking a little more overgrown than normal. Has Euanthe been visiting? Hera's temple has… A satellite dish, which is… Okay. The rest looks much as it has for the last two thousand years or so. One of the guards-.

She's running into the palace. That's unusual. I'm not normally a 'panic stations'-. Something's up.

I trade my light armour for my heavy armour and generate construct armour to go along with it. That sends a wave of uncertainty through the remaining guards, but unusually none of them say anything. They've all been ordered to leave this to Hippolyta. Why? I like Hippolyta well enough but we're not super-close. Certainly not 'we need someone to talk Orange Lantern down' close.

What's going on?

And… Here comes Hippolyta. And Captain Philippus and… Menalippe. Has Eris done something? Why the heck is-?

"Paul, that…" Queen Hippolyta looks over my preparations. "Won't be necessary."

"Your majesty, something about this situation makes me think that you might -and I say this with all due respect- be mistaken."

"Diana has received a mission of great importance from Lord Zeus, King of Olympus."

Oh. Is that all? Not exactly a frequent occurrence, but Diana's been clued in on supernatural threats by him about… Three times before? And while the lightning hurt, I'm prepared to take the occasional cheap shot in the name of maintaining the peace.

"What sort of mission?"

"Lord Zeus is concerned about the circumstances of Donna Troy's creation, and has charged my daughter with ensuring that Tartarus remains an inviolate prison."

"How? I'm fairly sure that Diana doesn't have anything like the knowledge of thaumaturgy that would require."

"By attending to its security in person."

"Al.. right? How long is that going to take?"

"Lord Zeus did not specify a time limit. I assume that she will visit each of those imprisoned within and ensure that they are not attempting to escape or otherwise violate their bounds."

I frown. This does sound like something that a demigod might be asked to do, but where Zeus is concerned… "She's going to Tartarus indefinitely?"

"Yes, but-."

"Not a problem." I rise off the ground. "I'll pop down and help her. We'll be back this afternoon."

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'likes' and 'conservative'. It's nice to see that they've been given their freedom back. Would Alkyone actually consider Paul a friend, or just someone she can trust to an extent and respect?

Will Zeus finally make an appearance? I've been hoping to see him interact with Paul, since the latter will most likely insult him within a few minutes of their meeting.

22. preier

preier I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, this is going to fly like a neutronium pie thrown by a particularly anemic child...

Did not take long. Will be interesting to see if this punishment detail or if "it's not rape if they don't dare tell me 'no' or think I'm their husband."-Zeus is actually worried that someone else is bringing new half-gods into play.

23. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I see, did the amazons think Paul was going to end up going to war with Zeus or something?

24. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

Pffft, do it! The shady trenchcoat wearing wizards of the world need a proper organization.:p
    Is Zeus getting to Paul through Diana, dick move if so.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You must feel proud.

So you do remember him.

Don't you mean brigade.

Though I think that already exists. At least judging by a comment I remember Ambrose making.

Yeah...I think she doesn't want to take that risk.

And you're capable of so many shenanigans.

It could be that.

Politics js a dreary, boring thing.

Well now I'm concerned.

Also I don't think the " should be there, since in the next ring AI reply they weren't.

Ha!

That may not be so practical.

They may have jobs they can't get away from, or it could be too far.

But with a camera they can see what happened.

Ha!

I really like her!

And it's a bit of both, actually.

Now I'm getting the image of her worshippers watching her show as a form of service.

Maybe 'hurt, I'm prepared'

Now I'm getting the feeling that the Titans are somehow going to take over Tartarus.

Yeah, you can't tell anything with that guy.

I can't help but imagining that they'll be gone a lot longer than that.

Given his previous record, it's not an outlandish thing to believe.

He convinced his wife to leave him, had another god knocked unconscious and thrown in mud, and once had another pantheon try, and succeeded, in killing him.

26. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Have you the writer since tried Apricot so as to be able to model your SI's reaction?

Ardy, Relyt33, Wheenesss and 2 others like this.
  27. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

You mean, beyond the interaction we already saw?

Speaking of which, that video link is broken. This works.

28. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

What? Who does she blame for having driven the Amazons off their original homeland? Or for all the terrible bad no good stuff one can find in "Man's World"? Overly weak and permissive women who don't know how to tame their mens animal natures?

Cuchulin, Bud-E and Prince Charon like this.
  29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Huh, that's not how a pre-industrial society would manage it. Not unless it had easy access to fresh ice. No doubt one of OL's little projects, eh? And Clyemne isn't happy about it. I'm sure the fisherwomen appreciate being able to keep their catch in good shape longer.

Well done! Finally, you manage to focus on this one important thing! It only took months of getting sidetracked repeatedly... As for refrigeration, one issue would be getting the island's technical infrastructure up to the level needed to maintain even the simplest methods... Even if it's simply an icebox with someone making fresh blocks each day using a preset Cold gun...

To be fair, she probably does feel some manner of responsibility for you, still. In the eyes of Themyscira, you're probably still her apprentice. And any fuck-up you make reflects on her.

...Well, that's not worrying or anything, no. :confused:

I get the feeling that's basically her normal mode of operation most of these 'forum days'.

Huh. Grounded, or simply enjoying a day without Mom hanging around? :cool:

Imported, of course. I doubt the island has enough trees to make actual paper production viable, never mind the tech-base. Even with dryads regrowing what the Amazons consume.

Hmm... She seems a little tense...

A reasonable question, but...

...A concerning response. Something is rotten in the state of Themyscira. And I'm not talking about the fish. :p

Not public knowledge, then. No doubt linked to Diana's absence.

So, stop the ladies getting physical during arguments, then. I mean, it's a given that weapons would be banned, but the average Amazon is still a well-trained badass citizen-soldier.

Assuming they aren't busy keeping the island fed, or clothed, or sheltered, or any number of vital jobs... :rolleyes:

As if he'd have the free time? Not unless he could be in multiple places at once... :p And greediporting doesn't count!

:V It's just a prank, sistah. No doubt Eris is chuckling, since she'd probably be watching the forum anyway for laughs.

Eh, while some people he talks to might end up feeling the vapours, he is sadly immune.

Hmm... Did Hera get a TV deal at some point? Because I could see her setting her priestesses up with satellite TV to watch it as part of their religious obeisances. Or maybe one of them visited Man's World and got hooked on Oprah or something. x3

Oh, someone's grabbing the wrong end of the pointy stick...

Honestly, you spend a few days away, and all hell breaks loose.

...Ah. They expect him to be temperamental about something he's about to be told, then.

Probably irks Zeus a little that his usual display of displeasure can be foiled by a suitably sturdy lightning rod. :D

Okay, not unreasonable. Definitely don't want all Tartarus breaking loose. Took his time about it, though, given that the story was outed months ago.

...Still reasonable. A personal inspection of matters isn't too much.

And with the Lasso, she can actually ensure they're truthful about it...

"Ah, Pavlos, I don't think that was what he intended..." Then again, maybe Zeus wants OL barging in downstairs. Not sure what he could set up that Hades wouldn't promptly take issue with, but it's possible...

No wonder they were all walking on eggshells around him. I mean, he's on good enough terms with Hades he could probably get clearance to join Diana on her little inspection tour without too much hassle anyway. But did they really expect him to launch himself down the tunnel, all guns blazing? :rolleyes: How disappointing to see how little they think of him... At any rate, I'm sure things are perfectly fine down there.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't think that prejudiced people have any logic behind their beliefs.

Xmaster3000, Ardy, WereDragon and 2 others like this.