• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

28th October 2012
12:16 GMT +3

"How blunt do you want me to be?"

His smile broadens is a decidedly unfriendly way. "Knock yourself out."
Ah, sparky, you have no idea what you're letting yourself in for. I'm sure OL is quite happy to pontificate at you for hours about your failings. Likely with diagrams, if you need them. But for this visit, let's just focus on the topic at hand...

"You asked Diana to-."

"Princess Diana."
Well, that's off to a fine start. Interrupting already?

"I have her permission to refer to her by name."

"She is your sovereign. You should refer to her by her title."
Now see, there's another point where you and she differ.

"My considerable respect for Diana is unaffected by what I call her. I don't need to constantly remind myself that she's my superior. If anything, Lord Zeus, the deferential way I respond to her even without being compelled to use it should be an indicator of how much respect I feel for her."

He shrugs, reaching out to pick up a goblet of watered down wine. "Perhaps you left barbarian culture too old to learn proper manners."
And now insulting England? Admittedly, OL doesn't wax that patriotic about it, but still...

"Perhaps. But the point I was trying to make is that there's nothing wrong with you asking Diana to marry you-."

"I'm so glad that I have your permission."
Well, good to see you've at least learned what sarcasm is, Sparky.

"You need her mother's permission, not mine. But whether or not you need it, I can comment on how right it is. And it's fine. You asked, she said no. Then you sent her to Tartarus."

"I'm her divine sovereign."
And? That's hardly the best footing to start a relationship on, you know.

"Yes?"

"I was being polite about the marriage thing. Saying no to me has consequences."
Oh, yes. That fact is very well-documented, thank you very much.

"Oh. At least you're not pretending it wasn't about that."

He frowns, scoffing. "What else was it going to be about. The titans? My brother is watching them like a two-headed eagle."
And with that you show just how much of a petty child you are.

"So are you planning on leaving her down there until she changes her mind?"

"Eh." He looks away from me, giving it some thought. "Probably not."
Or just until you see another pretty behind and forget all about her entirely? :rolleyes:

"'Probably not' as in..?"

His eyes widen as he glares, and-. He's not cracking with lightning or anything, but it looks like some of the stroma of his irises are glowing. "As in probably not."
Wow, I've never seen eyes that act like plasma balls before. :D Does it tingle when you do that?

"Is there something you would like in exchange for-?"

"You respecting my position would be a start."
Ah, the old 'I'm more powerful than you, so respect me!' argument. He really is just a giant teenager.

"'Respect the position' or 'respect the man'?"

"Pay your respects to Cronus and see how far it gets you."
I suppose finding a way to steal power from your elders kind of short-circuited his development...

"Maybe your marriage prospects would be better if you actually stayed true to your marriage vows."

"Maybe mortals would be more respectful if I-"
Oh, here we go, the sparks and the booms... :rolleyes:

LIGHTNING! FORCE! UNBRIDLED POWER!

I shrink back slightly without meaning to.
It's like watching an angry drunk. You instinctively avoid drawing their attention for fear of them attacking you next...

"-took the time to remind them of my power!"

"And maybe they'd see you for the brute and tyrant that you are. I mean, my god, Eris has done more to advance the pantheon recently than you have. She's spent more time with Cassandra, too."
Yeah, I suspect most people would just go 'Oh no, an angry supervillain with delusions of grandeur!' Assuming they didn't die outright from his 'worship me!' aura.

And wasn't learning that a surprise. She's even been volunteering to babysit.

"If my youngest daughter wants my attention then she can earn it."
...Yeah, that's about typical for the mythological Zeus.

I can't help but chuckle. "I can't imagine why no one wants to marry you."

"Do you think that the lightning I threw at you is the limit of my power?"
Hardly. But this time, OL is better prepared for your offensive manoeuvrers.

"Oh, no. I know perfectly well that you aren't weak. I can see your power. Feel it. I know that you're no weaker now than you were three thousand years ago. I just don't care."

"Are you living each moment as if it were your last? Or do you want to die for your princess?"
To be fair, knowing you have a good chance to be revivable does make for a measure of foolhardiness. But that's not what happening here, is it?

"Since I got my ring, I've learned to live in accordance with my desire, unhindered by fear. I've not quite gotten to the point where I'd rather die than back down, but if something-" I smile. "-or someone tries to stop me or mine living how they want, I start working out how to stop them being a problem."

I lean towards him.
Just ask the lich Nabu how that went... Oh, wait. :rolleyes:

"And you're being a problem."

WANT.
And I just picture Zeus getting a metaphorical face-full of the Ophidian hissing threateningly at him, there...

"You should have been removed as king when you lost Greece to a Jewish architect. Instead, everyone followed your lead and just gave up. You are incompetent. This incident hasn't changed my mind about you, it's just made dealing with it more urgent."

"Hah! I honestly can't remember last time a mortal spoke-. No, anyone spoke to me with such disrespect. What makes you think I won't erase you from existence, mortal?"
...That is a good point. Did Zeus simply get tired of the Hellenes worshipping him, and ignore Christianity taking root? Because I could see that happening with this version of him...

"Why would I think you're more skilled at erasing people than you are at being king?"

"Oh. Okay."
I know Xenia is probably not in effect - this being more of a diplomatic visit than a friendly one - but there's a fair bit of rudeness on both sides...

LIGHTNING RETRIBUTION SMITING CHASTISEMENT!

There's no build-up, just lightning and the idea of lightning, sudden and powerful, leaping towards me before taking a right angle and flying out of the room. Zeus cuts it off and stares after it, frowning.
...But attacking your visitor? That's pretty rude. And I'm impressed OL felt that much fear, even knowing he's got backup.

"I'm jolly glad that worked."

"How..?"
See, even a decent king would have been keeping up on current affairs. But as noted, you, Sparky, are not close to a decent king.

Clank. Clank. Clank.

The doors bang open and then lock in place as the hulking figure lumbers in. He's more muscular than Zeus; his build actually puts me in mind of Kalmin, the product of countless hours performing physically demanding labour with his upper body. He's wearing space-aged body armour in shining gold, though his left leg appears less armoured and more replaced with a cybernetic styled after the rest of the armour. In his hands is a huge hammer whose head sparks and cracks with caged lightning. The back of the armour is bulky and further expanded by the resting mechanical manipulator appendages attached to it.
[Ave Mechanicus Intensifies!] Seriously, did OL have any input into this display? Huge 40k Techpriest energy. :cool: And it is glorious.

"Father. Striking at a herald."

Zeus and I both rise to our feet, him to square off against his opponent and me to clear the area. The circuitry that allowed him to do that just melted off my cup so I'd rather he didn't get it into his head to try again.
And outside, every God and Goddess in Olympus is either seeking cover, armouring themselves for battle, or both.

"That armour. Hephaestus? Did you cut off your own leg?"

"A king is owed fealty and respect, and owes his people direction, protection and justice. You provide none of those, and hence are owed nothing. You're a bent nail; a rotten beam due for replacement."
I bet the prosthetic is as much a part of his current corporeal form as the rest of his flesh. So not any kind of weak point. Also, good analogy from the new God of Engineering.

"It seems that I'll have to throw you off this mountain again, Hephaestus. This time you'll land on your head."

"We'll see." Blades and arcane ranged weapons uncurl from his back. "And my name is not Hephaestus. I'm Hephaestian."
Cue the battle music! And make it LOUD!

Well, politeness went right out the window. Though Zeus kind of started that little dickwaving contest. Time to see if Phaeste 2.0 is up to the task of removing his father from power. And oh, hey! A prophecy is fulfilled by his doing so! Man, Zeus is really in for a hell of a time tomorrow...

Does that suffix apply in greek as well, or are we seeing a ring-translation of a title rather than the direct sound of the new name?

I'm by no means an expert on the subject but my google fu indicates it's Latin based.

I'm sure Heph speaks Latin so it could be the name he chose because he thought it sounded cooler.

I'm sure OL is quite happy to pontificate at you for hours about your failings

Now that you mentioned "pontificate" I can't help but have the song Jafar sung to Genie in the second movie.

Well, another Lantern SI already did sing that song, maybe it's time for Paul to do it.

And? That's hardly the best footing to start a relationship on, you know.

Zeus is known for toxic relationships, do it's not surprising.

Ah, the old 'I'm more powerful than you, so respect me!' argument. He really is just a giant teenager.

Pretty much.

That is a good point. Did Zeus simply get tired of the Hellenes worshipping him, and ignore Christianity taking root? Because I could see that happening with this version of him...

It's possible that he didn't want to potentially fight a more powerful group like the Angels, or thought that if the Greeks lost to the Christians, then they didn't deserve him.

It's fortunate for him that the gods in this universe don't depend on worship to survive.

And oh, hey! A prophecy is fulfilled by his doing so!

In a bit of a convoluted way, but it's still fulfilled.

The doors bang open and then lock in place as the hulking figure lumbers in. He's more muscular than Zeus; his build actually puts me in mind of Kalmin, the product of countless hours performing physically demanding labour with his upper body. He's wearing space-aged body armour in shining gold, though his left leg appears less armoured and more replaced with a cybernetic styled after the rest of the armour. In his hands is a huge hammer whose head sparks and cracks with caged lightning. The back of the armour is bulky and further expanded by the resting mechanical manipulator appendages attached to it.
So to wit, this shows LePaul never had any intention of not trying to kill Zeus, even if Zeus had agreed to release Diana from her duty.

Because he can't Unupgrade Hephaestus.

Oh. Oh no! We're missing the true foreshadowing with Forge God's renaming!

Remember Dragon Ball fusion rules people! Hephaestian was created from the sacrifice of Hephaestus…

…and Sephtian, magewright, researcher, and budding technomancer.
I somewhat doubt it. Fusing with a mortal being part of the plan most likely would have come up earlier, and we've barely even mentioned Sephtian this arc.
So to wit, this shows LePaul never had any intention of not trying to kill Zeus, even if Zeus had agreed to release Diana from her duty.

Because he can't Unupgrade Hephaestus.
Well yeah. His mention of how Zeus needed to be replaced and this just raised the priority already covered that.

I'm so hyped! Let's rumble!!! I have faith that Heph has this but just in case, I hope the Illustres stays nearby to offer support.

Oh, and I'm certain that the fight will probably be noticed all over the thaumosphere and especially by other members of this pantheon just by the magical shockwaves. It will be like a high level anime fight!

Its a shame there is no audience for this.

Would be awesome if the rest of the pantheon was here to watch along with all the other minor gods and beings from Greek mythology.
Well, everyone Paul passed on the way in is going to see Hephastian, after all, he walked in too.

[Ave Mechanicus Intensifies!] Seriously, did OL have any input into this display? Huge 40k Techpriest energy. :cool: And it is glorious.

Does this make Hephaestian the Omnissiah? He's literally the god in the machine now.

All hail the Deus Mechanicus!

What is the significance to this rename?
He's perfectly aware that his nature has been radically altered. He has become someone else a lot like who he used to be.
Does this mean that Big H is spreading off earth for the future outside of bird land ?
If I understood that sentence then I'd be able to tell you.
What else was it going to be about
Thank you, corrected.
I think that's natural speech.
Tian as a suffix denotes origin, such as Egyptian or Venetian.

So the implication is basically "From Hephaestus."

AKA signifying that he's Hephaestus 2.0
That's better than the actual reason!
...Did Zeus try to fry OL's man-tackle?
He tried to fry all of him, but in this instance 'cup' refers to what he drank the cider from.

Last edited:
I assumed that a god changing its name would be Big. Deal.

Dont think -tian works in Ancient Greek though?? Also since he and Vulcan are different entities would it not be more appropriate to take a look at Greek suffixes and prefixes instead?

-aean might be a better suffix, for example. Since it's actually Greek.

Gods damn, the build up is killing me. This doesn't look like the curb stomp fight I was afraid of, Zeus seems to have the power to back up his arrogance.

Place your bets, folks! No-Holds-Bared Zeus, or Adeptus Mechanicus Hephaestian?
Let's get ready for a Death Baaaattttttttttttlllllllllleeee!!!!!!!

Electricity vs technology?
I suspect Zeus is going to end up bottled.

"Drawing power from defeated titans" becomes a bit more literal when you can recharge your phone from the Zeus-box.

This is getting as good as my previous favourite battle-of-greek-gods story.
A warning for others- A section of that story is devoted to Donald Trump. The epilogue. Skip it or skip the whole story, whatever.

What sort of fallout should we expect from this arc?

1. Will anyone in the Hades family have a strong reaction?
  2. Will Diana become a major character moving forward due to this disruption?
  3. Will Dionysus take Paul drinking?
  4. Will Ares get off of his butt?
  5. Will the "parole the Titans" idea acquire some momentum?
  6. Will the word learn the truth of Zeus's fate (via livestream or another TV interview) or will there be a coverup like with Nabu/Dr Fate?
  7. Is anyone involved with this arc going to help search for Constantine?
  8. Will Eris acquire a new role in the Olympic pantheon as a reward for her aid?
  9. Will Desire visit Paul again as a result of this kerfuffle catching her interest?

Well, the confirmation that he's exactly as he appears is disappointing. Not disappointing story-wise, this is great, but Zeus himself disappoints me.
I know. If Zeus respected guests like he is always punishing people for not doing in his stories that really would have put a snag in this. Of course none of those stories had Zeus as the host. So it might just be another case of hypocracy.

Please!
Please!
Please, Mr Zoat! It would be SUCH an Eris thing to do, throwing every other Pantheon through a loop.

Wait a moment. In the past it was implied that Hephaestus and Athena had copulated, in spite of the latter's affiliation with chastity. Could… Could Athena marry Hephaestus after this?
He's married to Aphrodite, but this time she will be happy to bed him.

After all, now it vibrates.

And I am not talking about his bed.

Even if Zeus is an actual threat and living lightning... part of technology are things like transformers and surge protectors and batteries. As a craftsman and blacksmith Hephaestus was a thinker and tinker first. Finally getting that gratification of throwing down with someone Heph always had to take it from is intoxicating, but Heph needs to fight smart.

I mean it would be funny to see the buildup for an Olympian DBZ fight only to have it end super quickly with Zeus unleashing his super move and Heph absorbing and reprocessing the energy and grounding or draining Zeus out.

"Hey Zeus. I found you a new wife. She's got fairly godly powers. And she wants you. Hell, she wants everything and everyone. Also she's an animal, which is your kink, right?"
"What kind of animal are we talking? Centipede? Goat? Giraffe? Can she deepthroat? Giraffes can deepthroat."
"Like you wouldn't believe. She's a snake."
"Hot damn. I'd totally do a snake. But didn't you come here to yell at me for cheating and being mean and stuff? Why aren't you worried about me cheating on her or divorcing her or any of the things I usually do?"
"No, not at all. She's a big girl and can take care of herself in that regard. Do you know what a yandere is?"
"That's Japanese, right? I don't have a clue other than that. Not my domain."
"Great! Anyways, let's just say she'll have a way of keeping you around."
"Right, right! The coils! The sexy sexy coils!"
"Y...es. That's what I meant. The coils."
"When can I meet her?"
"I brought her with me."
"Will you be MINE?"

"Sure babe! For tonight at least!"
Assimilation complete. "Long enough."
"
That goes so much faster when they consent."

Users who are viewing this thread