1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

2. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

i really like it when he explores these co-existing similar-but-different culture and magical traditions. in addition to what you mentioned, Paragon has also been directly involved in the reorganization of Hell- which, by it's nature, would mean that Hell's policies and direction re: Earth/mortals have adjusted as well. my favorite is what i've learned about the Green.

why, the Spurce Murse! the Dream's largest airborne conveyance!

3. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Oooookay, forget about my Delirium theory then. Where the heck does White School even get competent staff from, assuming they don’t use golems with knowledge stored in them?

4. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Missing ‘?’, I think.
    ‘as’
    ’it’

5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The White School doesn't have staff.

Students are taught by other students.

Now those students might be centuries old mages who have studied the magic arts of dozens of planets, but at the White School you never stop learning magic.

At least in Books of Magic.

Zoat, as author, has of course the prerogative to change what he likes for his story.

6. HeroineRule34Guy

HeroineRule34Guy Know what you're doing yet?

If Zoat really wants to show off his DC lore, he can use these guys from Day of Vengeance. Spectre hasn't had his temper tantrum yet, and maybe never will, so they should be around.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Being able to hold off the Spectre for an hour is *very* impressive.

7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Apparently they neglected their kabbalism.

The Israeli Ramban of the Hayoth once fought the Spectre.

Well not much of a fight, Spectre wasn't allowed to harm a hair on his head.

I guess theurgy has its perks.

8. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

YOU HEARD ME!

ChestBurster and Xmaster3000 like this.
  9. Threadmarks: False Dawn (part 15)
    Mr Zoat

8th November 2012
    18:16 GMT +3

"It's really not that complicated, thaumaturgically speaking. People dream all the time, and anyone can learn to gain lucidity in their dreams. It would simply be a matter of matching volunteers to dreamers."

The dream of Haroun ibn Mohammed ibn Abdullah ibn Mohammed ibn Ali Ben Abdullah ibn Abbas, Caliph of Baghdad, doesn't look entirely convinced. Though I suspect that's more a negotiating tool than anything else; I know that a version of him either agreed to this or flat out suggested it himself.

"That would not grant them flesh."

"They lost that when your material self made his pact with Morpheus. Such pacts cannot simply be undone." I pause. "Not after so much time. If you were all still alive, I… It may have been possible."

"That sounds more like what I want. Speak of it, O sage of avarice."

"Your majesty, your material self, much diminished by sending all that was greatest about his realm into the Dream, died a very long time ago. What became of his soul is a matter for Allah, but from that moment you and he stopped being the same person. Like… Conjoined twins joined at the shoulder and then separated by a chirurgeon. Could they be reattached? Yes, maybe, with great difficulty. But as time passes and scar tissue forms… Or if one dies…"

"Speak more."

"I am a Hellenist. I do not claim that nothing exists above and beyond the kings of the angelic hosts; I have borne witness to feats of theurgy that cannot have come from anywhere else. But I personally worship beings who are closer to mortality. The chief amongst them is Hephaestaean, God of Artifice and Technology. He has produced a mechanism into which a mortal soul can be entrapped, which allows them to walk once more upon the Earth. If that was what was needed, I would trade with you for such vessels and be on my way. But the souls of the dead are understood. You are not Caliph Haroun al Raschid's soul."

He inclines his head very slightly.

"I am not."

"You are a dream of all that was great about him. You are… This place is unique. And as such there are limits to how much I can apply what I have learned about other forms of magic to your situation."

"What if Caliph Haroun al Raschid could live again?"

"Heaven does not allow resurrections after so much time. I checked. And even if they did, it is as I said. The two of you are separate."

I sigh.

"And even if we could get a piece of his body and grow a new man from it, they would not be you and you would not be them. They could become President of Iraq and they would still not be you."

"Then how could the world ever know my faultless city?"

"You'd have to build it again from scratch."

His expression hardens slightly. "You mean to say, I and whoever became my partner."

"If you did as I suggest, the two of you would not precisely be separate people. Each of you would be changed, and when they died you would be…" I gesture to him. "This, once more."

"This other version of you. Did they speak with me?"

"I am sorry, your majesty, I did not think to ask them for the names of people who were joined. I believe that your cooks were quite popular. Few men can become king, but everyone benefits from being able to feed themselves well."

That provokes a smile.

"Your soldiers too are sought after."

"And the women of my harem?"

"Some… Do. Their abilities do… Ah, not lend themselves to heroics. It almost certainly guarantees a high-placed but fairly mercenary sort of marriage, but I'm afraid that we're reaching the limits of my knowledge."

"And the boys of my harem?"

"Certain social customs have changed since your era. Respectfully, I would advise against it. Similarly, slavery is not tolerated."

"Slavery is not prohibited by the Quran."

"No, but it was prohibited by the British Navy, a fact that brings me not inconsiderable pride in the nation of my birth. Your majesty, the fact that you need to question me on that subject emphasises that you would require the knowledge of the one you would bond with as much as they would require your sagacity."

He appears to consider that for a moment. I imagine that he'd struggle a little with the change in the relative power of the Islamic world from his era where they invaded southern Europe at will, to the state of affairs that exists today.

"And if I were to follow your advice, how would I start?"

"Stop collecting dream fragments, and start sending out people to speak to dreamers directly instead. Once they know enough to predict a person's dreaming habits, send someone who is like the person they would want to be, and… Directly ask them. Repeated often enough and even a slow-witted dreamer will eventually see the pattern." I shrug. "Or just explain to me what you want, and I can convey your message to the waking world."

"And what would you ask in return?"

I shake my head. "Nothing. Having you acting on the world again serves my interests in generally increasing the capabilities of living humans. I would rather ease your path than risk someone else doing something wrong. Spreading the word is far easier in my era than it was in yours."

"You believe that the cities and nations of your world surpass the glories of Baghdad?"

"Yes."

"How so?"

"See for yourself."

He shakes his head. "You have seen little of my city. Such a thing cannot be."

"That must be profoundly dispiriting for you."

"I made my agreement with the being you call Morpheus precisely because I know all too well that mortal kingdoms fall and I could not bear the idea that no other age might know the glory we know."

"Huh." He raises his eyebrows. "It just… I don't know what I'd do if I thought that I wouldn't be surpassed. I've always assumed that other members of my order would learn from my successes and failures and in the fullness of time grow beyond me. That though there might be setbacks, that learning and civilisation generally continue to advance. I do not believe that I would have made the choice that you did."

"You claim to not feel pride?"

"Pride? No. No, I feel pride in my achievements, but it's about what I've done, not what I am. In your place, I might have commissioned a journalist to write books about my nation and scribes to make many copies, but to sabotage the material so that this would exist… I don’t believe that I would have done this."

"I will consider this matter. Though as a boon unasked, I will have my court wizard remove the mark from your demon's head."

"Don’t strain him on my account, your majesty."

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"Ypu two are separate"

"men can"

11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'The'.

That should say 'the'.

12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

14. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Repeated -> Repeat that
    OR
    enough and even -> enough, even

15. In search for story's

In search for story's Fool

The culture clash the good sultan is going to experience is gonna be a whopper.

16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It looks like you changed the wrong word.
    That should say 'the fact that'.

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

That's a long lineage of great men hanging over the Caliph's head. No wonder he made the pact he did in the living world. Let's hope he's not unreasonable when he learns about how he cannot walk that world in flesh again. Not easily at last.

Unfortunately, his mortal shell is long since dust, the soul within passed on to its reward.

Of course, there are ways around that. After all, OL knows a few people with a knack for working with soul-stuff...

You mean the Zontanonaut armour he made for Erichthonius and others? That could work, but it seem lacking in the senses, which I suspect is what the Caliph is hoping to reacquire.

Not questioning, merely agreeing? Yes, he knows that much, I would expect. After all, most men don't live for around 13 centuries...

Would he want to? He did seem to try to be a good Muslim, regardless of his mortal failings. Edit: :confused: Oh, right, the whole flaunting the rules of religious observances like Ramadan or the whole alcohol thing. :oops: On the other hand... Maybe he turned around after giving up the legends of wonder and became more devout...

Yes, they came after him for trying to retrieve a soul a couple of years dead. I can't imagine they'd go easy if he went after someone as far back as the Caliph.

It doesn't already? Do you not know of the tales of strange and wondrous Arabic lands, magnificent cities and mystical works that men dream of?

Is that what you're so upset about? Having to share your existence with someone else?

And hopefully by the time it happens, they've got rejuvenation technology able to restore the resulting fusion to a healthy state...

The world is only two or three meals away from chaos, after all.

...Let's not blow his mind by introducing him to the internet just yet, OL.

:oops: That may prove a harder sell, especially amongst the more inhibited nations.

Because the big G probably figured us humans could handle that shit ourselves. And if we couldn't, well... There's always Hell.

Surely, oh Caliph, you can understand the value of an advisor wise in the ways of the modern world? I'm sure you know of diplomatic missteps caused by a lack of wordly knowledge?

Now, which of those is likely to get you out of here sooner? Well...

And OL does have a little patch of land dearly in need of some occupants.

Let's just say that things have gone a lot more... Vertical... Over the centuries.

Heck, have some of those dream chasers seek out visions and vistas of the great cities. You'll soon see, indeed.

I wonder how Teth Adom would take to meeting this fellow... I mean, he was closer to the Caliph's time than the Caliph was to the modern day, if not by much... Edit: :oops: ...errr, I was off by about a millennium... On the other hand, meeting an Egyptian pagan ruler might be an entertaining encounter?

Feel a bit disappointed that no-one has quite the same talent as you, perhaps?

...I mean, isn't that what your logs essentially are? History free of embellishment and dissemblance?

I mean, it's not like he's any nicer with it as without.

And about what I expected. I'm a little disappointed that the Caliph can't envisage anything greater than his city, but he is a little limited by his nature as a reflection, a fantasy of a man. I fancy he'll suffer a little bit of culture shock when he sees the modern world. Whether it be the cities, the technology, or the evolution of his faith. But, I'm sure he'll adjust. Dreams are ever-adaptable, after all.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, merging a literal nostalgic dream of a forgotten, primitive age and the modern world ain't gonne be easy.

Also, anyone else expecting Iznogoud to show up at any time?

ChestBurster, Relyt33 and Cuchulin like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or his punishment.

I think Heph could give them all the senses of a human.

It would prove a hard sell Ren amongst the most liberal nations.

20. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

I think Demon Constantine would like the license plate number of the bus that OL just tossed him under.

21. Mr Zoat

Looks fine to me.
    Thank you, corrected.
    He was drinking wine and eating during the day during Ramadan. Morpheus repeatedly called him on it.
    I'd have to check, but I don't think that's correct.
    Why are you selling Ren?

22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...Well, I did say try. Islam was only a couple of hundred years old, if the Wiki article on Haroun is right. I'm sure some were less devout than others.

Yeah, I was a bit out. Haroun al-Rashid was born in the 760's, and died in the early 800's (around 12 centuries ago.) Teth Adom lived in the 1200's BC (about 2000 years before Haroun...) :oops: Oops. I'll adjust my comments...

23. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

I wonder what specifically about his city was great. Though at minimum I imagine many scholars would want a view at the Baghdad House of Wisdom, if only the Dream version or if only by proxy.

As suspected, this has the chance to go in a way that is very beneficial to all involved rather than a 'stop him from possessing people' way.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Relyt33 like this.
  24. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Is Paul recruiting the Sultan? Cause it seems like Paul is recruiting the Sultan.

And a perfect Sultan Orange Lantern is either a terrible foe or a most glorious ally.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

No. He would probably have been willing to recruit the living caliph, but selling his entire people to the Dream is something the SI can't counternance.

26. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

You also know a version of yourself that got married to an underage sadistic murderer. And another that mounts the flensed skulls of his bounty targets on his living room wall.

Being the parallel version of someone doesn’t indicate any specific similarity.

Prince Charon likes this.
  27. Clell65619

Clell65619 Making the rounds.

Should this be 'Spreading the word"? (Or perhaps 'Word'?)

28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, come on, they were very clear that she was legal in the state where they were married.

29. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

There are limits.

30. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

I think this is the most conciliatory the SI has ever been about monotheism, admitting that if your priority is "top god" that's probably the way to go, even though he himself his different priorities.