1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

2. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

Is it bad that I’m starting to feel bad for the demonic Constantine? I’m genuinely hoping he eats from the Pomegranate and Paul is willing to hook him up with a fresh start.

3. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Abdullah

4. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Ali Bin Abdullah, I believe

I think this is missing a clause - "from the moment that <you made the deal>, you and he..." Or something like that. Could be "from that moment", but that implies the moment of death is the dividing line, which seems wrong.

5. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

He did help the first of the fallen invade earth so maybe not clean start but a helping hand would be nice.

ChestBurster, Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Nope.
    Thank you, corrected.

7. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

... and those aren't even the worst versions of him, though I don't recall whether Paul met the one who took the Evil potion.

Vorian, Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

They haven't met onscreen, though Tangseid was one of the many versions of Paul that was kidnapped by Krona and even improved upon Paul's tattoos, so it's possible they may have spoken to one another and exchanged some notes.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  9. Threadmarks: False Dawn (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

November 8th, 2012
    Sometime Around Ten

A hero bound to a chair-.

I just about get my hands up before my face hits the wall in front of me, then rest my forehead against it as the vision recedes. I don't remember that ever happening to Wesley. Or maybe he just got better at covering for it, I don't know. I know it.. hurt him, I saw the red marks on his arms one time after his dreams showed him some guy getting his arms cut off by a meat slicer. But it happened when he was dreaming-.

I'm literally in dreams. Aw, heck.

No, no, that could be a good thing. Okay, if I turn around and lean against the wall so I won't fall over again, calm down and close my eyes-.

A hero bound to a chair, ropes with strange symbols on them wrapped around his arms and ending in strange gourds on the ground. Another rope is wrapped around his head, and when his eyes flicker the pupils are heavily dilated.

I jerk back into-. Back awake as my bottom hits the ground. Okay, someone's taken Green Lantern prisoner and they're doing something to him that doesn't look too good. But I don't know where he is, or-.

Wait, wait, wait. I'm in a dream. This place is the dream of a city from a thousand years ago! Okay, let's try… Try something.

I close my eyes and I see a hero bound to a chair, ropes with strange symbols on them wrapped around his arms and ending in strange gourds on the ground. Another rope is wrapped around his head, and I reach out and pull it off.

Oh, I… Don’t know how that happened, but now I'm here and Alan…

I pull the glove off my right hand and feel for a pulse. Yes, good, he's still alive, and from the feel of it he's basically healthy. We're in a… In a small room; it makes me think 'dungeon', which isn't a good sign. These ropes look like they're magical, and I don't know if tearing them off is the best idea. I can't hear anyone outside, but the edges of the door are stuffed with sack cloth to stop sound getting out. So they shouldn't be able to hear me, either.

"Blue Lantern. Can you hear me?"

"Nnnnnn Rose…"

Rose. That was his wife's name, the one who went… Oh.

I see… Faces and laughter, flowing under his skin, draining down the ropes into-.

My left knee hits the closest gourd as I collapse, sending it rolling across the floor. They're draining something out of-! I draw my knife and slice into the rope wrapped around his right wrist, cutting through and causing the rope to fall to the ground. Wait, wait, no, that doesn't put whatever it was back into him. Ah, quick, grab the gourd, rope still in the hole where the stalk was, then-. Then put the rope that was around his head back on, tie the cut end of this rope to it and put the gourd in his lap.

I step around the chair, cutting through the rope on the opposite side and then tying the cut end to the rope circlet and putting the gourd on his lap.

This time I've spotted the pattern and sit on the floor.

I see faces and laughter, flowing into his head from the gourds, getting back under his-.

The door bangs open and I leap to my feet-

"Who are-! Lord-!"

-and see a rough-looking Arab with a scimitar on his belt. He looks scared for a moment, and he's reaching for his sword go!

Two steps and I'm across the room, his sword just coming free! My right forearm slams into his neck with the full force of my body behind it, slamming him through the doorway and into the wall of the corridor outside. My left fist comes in low, slamming up into his diaphragm in a nasty punch Mr. Grant taught me. He's kept hold of his sword but his right arm is pinned against his chest so he can't really use it.

"He's f-."

I shift my right arm so that my knife is pricking his neck.

"Drop the sword, or we find out if dreams can die."

His eyes drop as he tries to get air back into his lungs, and eyes widen as he spots where my hand is. There's a clatter as his sword hits the stone floor.

"Now, I'm going to step back and you're going to come with me. We're going into the cell, and once we're in I'm going to strap you to the chair. Make any trouble and, well it's been a while since I've had to knock someone out without hurting them too much. Nod if you agree."

The guy makes a very small and worried nod, careful not to test my knife.

"Okay. Step."

We edge backwards, and I make sure to keep eye contact. Woowee! Not too bad for my first fight this century! My heart's racing and I can feel the sweat on my hands under my gloves. Okay, we're inside.

"Move around to your left. Slowly."

He does, and once he's far enough away from the door I step smartly away from him. His eyes are still fixed on me. Okay, his scimitar is on the ground outside but I've got a few moments until anyone wonders where he's gone. Next step, shut the door so he can't shout for help when he gets his breath back.

Then put my knife back in its sheath and take out my gas gun.

"You know what a gun is, smart guy?"

He nods.

"Okay then. What is this place?"

"My master harvests dreams from people. There are… Rich buyers."

Why bother with opium dreams if you can get real ones?

"Is that legal?"

He stares at me for a moment, then slowly shrugs his shoulders. I raise the gas gun and point it at his head.

"Guess."

"Men can sell their dreams, and they can be claimed from debtors. And taken from slaves."

"But you can't just grab people off the street. Right." I take my left hand off the gas gun and take a pair of handcuffs out of one of my pockets. "Catch."

I toss it, and he catches it with both hands.

"Put one around one of your ankles, and then the other around one of your wrists."

He hesitates.

"I need you tied up. Do you want me to hit you over the head, or are you going to do it yourself?"

He crouches down, trying to keep his eyes on me as he puts one of the cuffs around his left ankle, then the other cuff around his left wrist.

"Good." I lower the gas gun. "Now, you're going to hear a lot of stuff in a little while, and I really think you should stay right here and wait for the police. Or guards, or whoever enforces the law around here."

A slightly nervous nod, and he shuffles back into the corner of the room.

I walk up to Green Lantern and shake his left shoulder. "Blue Lantern? Are you awake?"

10. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Ah, might makes right is what gave Dream the right to take people who were enslaved in life, and enslave their dream of themselves for eternity. Took me think of the mechanism that would let him do that, before realising its the oldest mechanism of all, force.

The endless are amoral. And I keep trying to humanise them.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"hits the"

It was a good showing.

12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'doing'.

13. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

No? Not at all. Dream is all dreams. If a god is a symbol made real, the Endless are the inversion - reality made into a symbol. When Dream creates something like The Corinthian, he's more or less automating a process already present, rather than forcing a new pattern into the Dreaming.

In short? We make and are made by our dreams; trying to blame Dream for how those dreams act is as useful as blaming water for getting you wet. Technically true, but it's never going to change anything.

14. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Like a severe form of psychosomatic sensation. Though this is quite a bit more than simple psychosis. Hopefully things are less intense for him in the real world, since he's corporeally present in the Dreaming right now.

Yes, no time wasted trying to find the place you saw, just focus and step into it. Dream logic at its finest.

Well, guess we know what happened to Alan, then. I wonder how they managed to bind him?

Okay, some manner of magical bindings, then. Probably functionally unbreakable to the one bound. But if someone else were there to help...

Hmm. Sounds like the Dream merchant he met has some unsavoury business partners.

So they're probably trying to leech away his dreams of her. Dreams founded in memories of the good times, no doubt.

Heh, one of the finest skills of the superhero: Making it up as you go and hoping it pays off.

Let's hope one of these dreams doesn't hit in the real world, it might get awkward if he keeps flopping like that. Especially if he's in a fight...

Well, looks like Alan's captors have some sort of sense of how the process is going... Or they heard the noise of Sanderson flopping about. :p

I mean, this could be a completely legitimate business transaction... But the evidence is really against that.

Sadly, I suspect his vulnerabilities to getting hit in soft spots depends on how human he feels at any given moment.

And isn't that a whole can of worms to open a philosophical discussion with, huh? On the other hand, we've seen Dreams killed before. Usually they stayed gone, until Morpheus recreated them. But what of formerly Human dreams, hmm?

And he's not joking. The whole 'light tap on the head' to put someone out is such an overused trope. And one a lot of viewers/readers are well aware is rather fake...

Not quite gripping him by the balls, but I suspect you have his undivided attention right now.

Don't worry, it'll get easier as you get used to it again.

I mean, it probably doesn't look like an actual firearm, but I doubt this guy knows that. And one of the options was a truth gas...

Still, even looking down the barrel of something resembling an old pump spray-gun is intimidating. (Flit-Gun, huh? :confused: Never knew they were called anything...)

Yes, I'm sure there are. Anything is a commodity if someone wants it badly enough...

Ooh, good point. We've been told they do have people who go out searching for new and interesting dream concepts... But I should wonder if it's legal to strip-mine people's minds for them.

And which situation is this one, eh? I'm pretty sure Alan didn't owe anyone here anything...

Well, I didn't think it would turn into that kind of dream. :p

Maybe he's having trouble even picturing how that would work. But it does sound like an effective way to immobilise someone.

Yeah, hard to run, or even move easily, in that sort of pose.

And I suspect things will not go well for him and his buddies when they do get here.

Welp. Of course someone got into trouble. I was half expecting it to be Doctor Mist, since we still haven't seen him. What's the bet he's letting the Flow guide him, and just ambling around town until just what he needs falls into his lap? I mean, Constantine can't be the only wizard who can operate like that, after all.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Heck, he'd probably be better than Constantine if he knew that skill.

That puritan witch guy said that one important part of synchronicity traveling is allowing yourself to be guided by a higher power.

Constantine wouldn't let that happen, so he's missing out on some tricks.

Mist may be able to allow himself to be guided.

16. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

oh.

This seems like a tragic violation against Alan. I’m disturbed by this. I was certainly wrong about that timeshare presentation… That’ll teach me to trust a haggler.

Well presented I guess, Mr Zoat.

On a completely unrelated note, does Paul still have the Bowel Disruptor he looted from Prankster (Uncle Oswald)?

17. SpiritualSlacker

SpiritualSlacker Nurse God of Mischief

Sandy is quickly cementing his place as my favorite character of this arc.

18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Yup. A pop-culture expert would have been paranoid cautious enough to have seen something coming.

Hope is truly a double edged sword.

19. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Man. These guys are lucky OL wasn’t the one to find Alan. He gets…Not Nice, when his friends are endangered.

20. Rockinalice

Rockinalice Versed in the lewd.

That's probably how it works for them, but I would guess that for the Holder of the Laughing Magician and the current Incarnation of the FOOL it probably works differently for him, I view it as John having either Admin privileges or considered a Priority Asset by the Wave. Or something along these lines

21. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Who was this? I don’t remember him at all.

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Power Ring Blue was married to Zorina Zatara so that the latter could take over as the next leader of the branch of the Zatara Crime Family that her father current leads.

23. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

MOST of the Endless are amoral. But there's one exception.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though Raul could also take Baul's place since he's also in a relationship with an underage sadistic murderer.

Xmaster3000 and Prince Charon like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Though to restate, she wasn't under the local age of consent.
    I don't believe that she's ever been convicted of murder.

26. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Good for Sandy! But poor Alan, having those dreams potentially ripped from him. I don't think it will be pleasant upon waking

27. Rockinalice

That not necessarily true the Zatara's are an Italian family and a majority of the family is in Italy the age of consent Italy is 14 and then it moves up to I think the next 16
    The age of consent in Italy is 14 years old, and rises to 16 when one participant is in a position of authority or influence over the other (teacher, clergyman, etc). Additionally, it is illegal to perform sexual acts when an individual under 14 is present to witness them, even if said minor does not participate.​

But yeah to her Family she was not considered underage, now in the U.S it's a different story but I would imagine that they would have gotten married in Italy in a church with the Family there. Odds are the Family approved so it would have all been Legal and above board. In America it would be a Crime and not possible but in other Countries not so much

28. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Two. Gorgeous, and Destruction.

29. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

What year did Zorina and Paul get married? Because Zorina could be 16 at time of marriage.

30. Rockinalice

I believe she was 16 in May 2010 she was 14 and I forget what year it was but I think it was over a Year after they met that she married him so she was likely 15 at the youngest but more likely 16

ChestBurster and Xmaster3000 like this.