1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

he has a soul made of orange snake, that’s not typical enough for the weird-ass magic no one understands that he wants to try it

2. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Doyalistically, Paul needs some weaknesses to make there be tension possible in the plot.

Watson explanation is that funky snake soul and methods of enhancement with minimal side effects don't gel well. Souls gotta be 100% organic to the universe for the best enhancement methods

3. Cherico

Cherico Connoisseur.

The british empire in this series could cut a deal with the US.

As long as they let go of canada, this united states will be pretty much entirely focused on its internal issues and the western hemisphere. Canada is a sticking point but not much of one because once again lost 2 wars in 20 years and they see what their allies got up to so making peace is possible and actually pretty doable because after you accept canada is gone the us and british spheres of influence don't overlap that much.

Germany is more of a sticking poiint but will be focused on the continent.

The empires biggest issue will be keeping itself together dispite its own internal issues.

4. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

It's unpleasant but doable for the US to properly integrate Canada and the Confederacy, but a number of problems they face (at least in Canada) are due to frankly baffling decisions that Turtledove forced for one reason or another. But really, as amusing as his stories can sometimes be, TL191 is one of the ones with a lot of his really crappy "What if I just made stuff that happened in one country happen in another instead?"

The dates when certain events happen, the Confederates having a Stuka knockoff, other nonsense . . .

5. Threadmarks: Tower Offence (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

8th November 2012
    11:37 GMT -5

Dr. Balewa hesitates as we approach the circle of flattened ground around the closest barn. "There is life within."

I glance at The Demon, who shrugs. I could probably read the residual desires around here, but I'm a little worried that having the Ophidian extrude part of herself here would set off detection systems even with my tattoos. He -on the other hand- should be able to feel the patterns of their lives without risk.

He sees me looking at him. "What, you want me to knock on the door?"

"Do you think that you can convincingly act like John Quinn to people who actually know him?"

He exhales slowly, and then he straightens up out of his customary slouch. His stubble vanishes, his eyes lose a little of their unnatural glow, his hair shortens-.

Seeing him change like this, it's actually a lot more apparent exactly how much he looks like John Quinn. Yes, I thought Quinn looked like an idealised version of John Constantine the first time I saw him but now I'm seeing that it's literally true.

"How do I look?"

Sanderson smiles, nodding. "You look much better like that. I know it might seen vain, but I think putting a little effort into your appearance helps you get into a positive frame of mind. If you keep looking like a disreputable slob, you're going to start thinking of yourself like that."

The Demon exhales, then shifts his eyes in my direction.

"Passable. The voice is good, too. Can you fake the Order aura?"

"I can make them think I am."

Alan frowns, concerned. "Are you sure about that? If Quinn's made some sort of deal with-."

"Ancient magical powers don't do farm work." Straight-backed, he walks towards the man-sized door in the dormitory barn wall. "He's probably bound a bunch of dryads with chains of order."

I hope that's not the case.

The Demon glances back at me as he reaches the door, flashing me a grin that's perfectly in-character for him and not Quinn. What, is he trying to push me into killing John Quinn? Even if he is using dryads as slave labour, that wouldn't push me over the edge. Especially not with Alan here. I'd be angry, yes, but I'm not defined by my anger.

Or is he doing the Constantine thing of putting everyone he can a little off-balance in case he decides to take advantage of their discomportment later? Yes, that sounds more likely.

The Demon raises his right fist and knocks on the door twice. Hopefully, he's using magic to know that's how John Quinn would announce himself. As for the rest of us? Dr. Balewa and Alan are Justice League members. There's no obvious reason why a third party would be surprised at them being inside the Tower of Fate. If that's even where we are. Someone who was told 'allow no one in here' would… Probably accept The Demon's word for it that he was changing his mind. Unless they were bound not to. But we're never going to find out anything-

The doors slowly opens.

-if we're afraid to look.

"Master?"

The creature on the other side… Looks like a gnome. A little bigger and the muscles on the torso are a little more pronounced, but it's very clearly from a related species. Worse quality clothes, though, and there are significant amounts of… Hair? Fur? Growing from his forearms and chin. Records of fae creatures aren't detailed, for obvious reasons, but I'm guessing… Brownie?

I can't see any bindings, but brownies are supposed to like helping around the house anyway. Perhaps he just made a direct agreement with this group. Stories in folklore aren't a reliable guide anyway, and generally describe their interactions with people who aren't powerful wizards.

"Have you had any problems?"

"No, Master. All of the plants are growing nicely. The crystal harvest is on course."

The maybe-brownie doesn't even look at the rest of us. His attention is wholly on The Demon. His expression… Not fearful or hopeful, just sort of blank. The gnomes are much more inclined to demonstrate emotion through facial expression.

"Is the food alright?"

"It is filling, but bland and tasteless."

Still no real expression. The situation suggests that he would be afraid, but his body language and facial expression suggests that he doesn't feel strongly about the situation. This isn't how people do things. I edge closer to Dr. Balewa.

"Doctor, is the local under any external influence?"

"Perhaps I should get you something better, seeing as how you're doing such a good job."

"There is no ongoing spell at work on him. But, his behaviour is not natural."

"As Master wills it."

"Thet is now how brownies usually respond. Mister Quinn!" Dr. Balewa walks towards the doorway. The Demon glances at him, apparently indifferent. The brownie doesn't respond. "Might I check on the health of your servants?"

The Demon nods. "I think that would be prudent. You, step outside."

The brownie walks out without any particular excitement, and Dr. Balewa raises his hands. I'm going to assume that he's seen brownies before, so he knows what he's-.

There's a sharp intake of breath from Dr. Balewa, white mist rising from his hands.

The brownie appears to come slightly out of whatever fugue it was in, focusing on Dr. Balewa. "Oh dear, sir. You shouldn't have done that."

"You poor man."

"Oh no, sir. His actions were entirely justified."

I.. felt that.

Sanderson looks confused as Alan and I take a step back. "What? What did the little guy say?"

Behind the little guy, I see the other brownies gradually appear, forming a loose blank-faced mob.

The Demon looks them over without overtly breaking character.

"Stop. All of you, return to your bunks."

"I'm sorry, Master." His eyes are glowing and that's an Anti-Life infection. "But Anti-Life justifies our actions."

Vines leap from their trellises, flying towards us in defiance of botany! A raised hand from Dr. Balewa causes those coming at him to collapse, but Sanderson is caught flat-footed and is rapidly enveloped!

"Turn to s-"

I form point defence laser constructs while Alan creates a garden mower, the vines coming at us getting burned or shredded.

"-and!"

The vines lift him away, crystals glowing with golden light!

"I-I-!"

Alan takes off after him, construct saw blades trying to slice through vines that are now resisting.

"Sandman! Change!"

The crystals blindingly and then darken, light vanishing from the vine as-

"Get these fuckers off me!"

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'John'.

Uh oh. Is that what I think it is?

Yup. The Anti-Life Equation. I can't say I was expecting this. What, is John Quinn going full Order by trying to find a way to use the Anti-Life to erase all things chaotic?

7. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

I can't imagine anyone who'd normally make Justified going out of their way to target brownies in particular. I suspect that John Quinn was doing research to develop countermeasures. It'd explain the isolated system.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

True.

Unless they like doing it or it's part of their nature.

"not how"

Oh, shit, this is unexpected.

So either Quinn is into some dark shit or he's trying to somehow help them by removing the AL Equation and the farm work is a way to keep them busy.

9. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

Ah. Well, that tracks; John finds himself as the big fish in a small pond so he immediately finds a new pond. How else would life be able to keep kicking his teeth in?

10. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

What are Brownies?

11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

The question is what he'll do with that knowledge. John Constantine Classic would at least try not to disrupt things too much if he didn't have to (except when he usually figured he did have to.) The Demon? Well, being an asshole is woven into his very nature.

I mean, How much of a stuck-up stick-in-the-mud Lawful Good git did John Quinn act like? :D Because I can't help but imagine the Demon acting like that. Didn't seem like he had the highest opinion of Quinn.

Or maybe the Golden Boy, who was also clean-shaven, well-kept and heroic-looking.

Ah, Sandy. Don't let the modern world dampen that earnestness.

Fake it until you make it. Though with any luck these folk don't see much of him beyond a glowing figure passing overhead on his way to more important things...

Anything that could beat a Constantine's trickery is probably something that would have noticed you turning up right away...

Add it to the list of presumed things to give him a good kicking in the soft spots for.

No, OL, you're defined by your Wants. That's what Enlightenment is, to some degree. And wanting to give Quinn that good kicking if it turns out he deserves it? Entirely understandable. And if the Demon tries anything, he can share it.

OL, stop second-guessing things. The Demon's just getting under your skin, isn't he? Guy could start a punch-up in a pacifist's convention.

Well, that's a bad sign, right out of the gates. Could be innocent, sure, but...

Maybe even a kobold? After all, the D&D version being lizard people is not accurate to the old stories. Then again, the 'gnomes' he met while dealing with Drakul Karfang were more kobold-like... Folklore is funny like that...

Well, that confirms this was set up by Quinn. Why? I doubt these guys know.

I suppose Quinn might be concerned with that. Probably the Demon adding a little familiarity to smooth over the unusualness of this surprise visit.

Yeah, that's... Not good. Though there are a few ways it could be managed, magically, or...

And Doctor Balewa can detect most forms of control, I expect, magical or not.

Not even a hint of excitement? Either this little guy is too simple to feel desire, or his emotions are being stilled somehow...

Points for acting in character, at least, for the Demon. Let's hope the little guy not able to feel suspicious...

...Well, things are about to go ploin-shaped, I just know it. :confused:

Oh, wow, that's got to be the strongest emotion we've ever seen in the Doctor for a while.

...Crap. Either it's Black Light poisoning... Or something more Tyrannical is involved.

Aw, crap. They poked the wasp's nest.

Probably a bit past the point that'll work, Demon.

Oh, hell! Quinn's working with Apokalips, isn't he?

...I thought he already had? Or did he revert when things seemed fine? Bad instinct, Sandy. You'll have to work on that when you get out of this.

I think he's about to get a taste of just how immortal he really is, I think...

Hopefully he'll listen this time, with Alan's voice of command kicking him in the hind-brain.

Okay, when the polite former sidekick starts swearing, things are definitely going badly. Unless the Demon is getting dogpiled.

Well, things escalated quickly. :eek: Talk about 0 to 'oh shit!' in six seconds. Sandy about to get soaked in Anti-Life, the Demon getting swarmed by hairy little men (And not in a fun way!) and everyone else nearly caught flat-footed. If they have any luck, they can swing the momentum back their way and clean up, but this heist got off to such a great start...

12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mythological creatures that took care of human homes in exchange for food. Here's the wikipedia link for more info.

13. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Of course, we never did find out what Nabu did with Dark Druid et al.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm guessing John screwed up the process when he made Quinn, because he's John Constantine, and Quinn decided to go the tyranny route when it comes to order.

Or maybe Darkseid noticed his attempt at making Quinn and chose to corrupt the process.

Or Quinn is just keeping these guys around to help them get rid of the AL Equation.

15. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

House elves from Harry Potter were loosely based on them.

16. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Good news: John Quinn did not ‘fall to order’ or whatever Paul intended to accuse him of.
    Bad news: One or more of the Constantines encountered a power that really, really really should be left alone… and poked it instead. With predictable results.

17. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

A member of the junior branch of the Girl Scouts.

18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

19. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Do you think Quinn was experimenting with Anti-Life to try and control the remaining Lords of Order?

ChestBurster and kerleth like this.
  20. Artemisnemo

Artemisnemo Getting sticky.

Oh hey, did we finally find Dark Druid. Man that was years ago. Like I've moved 4 times and changed jobs twice.

21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He's been in the Tower of Fate since he was taken down alongside Anton Arcane.

22. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

So John found some anti-lifed brownies and decided to try to fix them, and the league of distrust have fucked that all up and ruined his order-farm.

I get the feeling that OL and his squad might be the baddies here.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's either a misunderstanding or Quinn is planning to become something like Darkseid, but instead of fire pits, his slaves will be surrounded by farms.

24. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

I doubt it.
    If Quinn had anti-lifed these guys, he wouldn't be supressing that anti-life justification with his own magic.

It was clearly some kind of treatment, attempting to cure them. Or at least render them a non-threat.
    Which doctor mist fucked up because he bumbled in here with no idea what was going on and started slinging his magic around.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The League is aware that New Genesis can deal with victims of Anti-Life, so Quinn could have just sent them to New Genesis.

Granted, Quinn may not keep up with all of the League business.

He may have also been suppressing the full effects of Anti-Life since while he viewed it as useful, the full effects would have been too extreme for what he wants.

26. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

I'm cautiously going to be on team 'Quinn was looking for a treatment'. After all, he is an idealized form of Constantine. Still messed up though.

27. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

I find it amusing that people feel that the TL191 stuff is a British power-wank, when they're ignoring a few minor issues...

Like how as of 1938, even with the massive shedding of capacity to try and survive the Great Depression, the US IOTL had about 55% of the entire world's industrial capacity. Even factoring in the split between the USA and CSA, the years of war, and the years of insurgency, there's a huge amount of industrial capacity sitting there waiting to be rebuilt and reactivated once the insurgencies in North America are dealt with. Sure, Britain has the resource advantage with asteroid mining--though even that's not really economical if you have access to the resources locally (we'd be asteroid mining today if it wasn't cheaper to extract iron ore here on Earth even now)--and they could be building factories on the Moon and Mars, but they still have a fairly limited amount of space (heh) to put their manufacturing in, and long, expensive logistics to move resources and products around the solar system. Once the US resolves its internal issues (maybe by setting up puppet governments in Canada and the CSA?), industrially, they'll be coming up on Britain fast and will likely overtake them, at least in the short-to-medium term.

As for keeping the technology secret... there's only so much that can be done. Not only will espionage agencies be looking to penetrate the various technological research establishments in Britain (witness how Stalin had a full set of blueprints to the Trinity device before it was even test-fired, thanks to Klaus Fuchs), but there's also the simple matter that there are many Very Smart People in every nation who will be able to quickly figure out how to duplicate all technologies that the British demonstrate. Note, for example, how Sergei Korolev, Robert Goddard, and the von Braun/Oberth team at Peenemunde all had gotten to about the same point in rocket development independently before the start of WW2 saw the German team get a flood of "wunderwaffen" funding that let them make rapid progress. Or, as another example: The big reason Germany, IOTL, didn't develop a fission bomb was that German physicists, including Max Planck and Werner Heisenberg, believed it wouldn't be feasible to do so (it could be done, but they thought it'd be too big and heavy to deliver except by ship). Upon receiving the news that the US had used fission bombs against Japan, Heisenberg, in his jail cell awaiting a decision on if he'd be tried for war crimes, managed to sketch out a conceptual (but accurate) design for a deliverable implosion-type (Fat Man) fission bomb in an evening, because now he knew it was possible.

Once scientists and engineers know something is possible, it's impressive how quickly they can figure out how to do it; the hard part is the niggly little details and the actual construction--i.e., the parts that can only be dealt with through large amounts of funding and iterative design and testing. And with a larger population than Britain, the US would have a larger number of Very Smart People to have these bright ideas; I'd give Britain, at most, a ten-year lead, in terms of publicly-acknowledged technologies (remember, the OTL US space program spent about a decade dicking around with short-range ballistic missile research because that's all the Army was interested in, probably delaying the manned program by about five or six years), and less in terms of industrial capacity, over the US and, to a lesser extent, Germany. And once the USA has caught up, that massive industrial powerhouse will mean that now it's a continuous race; Britain will remain a superpower, but this isn't an automatic "I win forever" situation for them, as the other major powers will soon catch up with them and probably overtake them in some ways...

28. Mr Zoat

Oh, certainly, the United States could build the Skylark if they got their VSPs together -or even surviving Confederate VSPs- and gave them a lot of money. Thing is, the US doesn't have a lot of money. That industry that in the OTL was 55% of the world's? Bombed to heck, including multiple nuclear blasts, fought over and flattened. The population who would otherwise be paying taxes? Part of the army occupying an area larger than the US, a good portion of which is in constant low-scale revolt, costing money rather than making it. Even if they still regard Britain as a major enemy -and it's not exactly the USSR- there isn't going to be much support for funding something like that unless it shows clear economic benefits.

29. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

If Quinn was trying to treat them why hasn't he told the League about it? They have fought Anti-Life corruption before and I'm sure with everything the league knows about it studying it with the resources the League has at their disposal would greatly help Quinn at the very least. Keeping this farm a secret is what's making my Spidey-sense tingle.

30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Ho boy. An order obsessed, anti-life infected Constantine variant. That would be...Bad News. Evacuate the universe levels bad.

I guess Order would be more susceptible to Anti-Life than Chaos would be.

ChestBurster, Vorian, kerleth and 2 others like this.