1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Have they?

In Renagade timeline, Scott and Barda can sorta treat anti-life affliction.
    Has this version of them done that?

As for New Genesis, Brownies might not be able to survive leaving earth's thaumosphere.
    They are a kind of fairy or nature spirit, I think.

2. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

IIRC Paul, Alan, and one of the Greenies managed to purge Anti-Life from some people pretty heavily in its thralls by just shoving Glow energy into them.

It's not a perfect solution, but it's a solution.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yes, they can.

After the battle with the Key, where Amon was rescued, the Key, who was using Anti-Life, was captured and sent to New Genesis, where Barda said Highfather would purge him of the Equation.

Nothing stopping someone from New Genesis coming over to Earth to help.

I think it was just Paul and Alan.

ChestBurster and Bud-E like this.
  4. Threadmarks: Tower Offence (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

8th November 2012
    11:40 GMT -5

-The Demon flees into the field, trying to keep ahead of the brownies!

"Sandy-man!"

"Mist, can-"

I attach a flight aura to The Demon and lift him into the air, clawed hands grasping at his shoes as they're yanked out of range.

"-you do something-"

I generate a construct barrier, trying to hem them in close to the barracks.

"-about the infection?"

"I will try, but something-"

The barrier construct comes apart under the claws of the Justified brownies so I change tack, using a small swarm of cattle prod constructs to knock them back one at a time and retreating the prods if a brownie takes a swing at one.

"-is different."

Sanderson reforms under the blackened vines, clutching at his head- "Gah!" -as the vines above him crumble to ash.

Denied their primary target, the brownie mob turn and lunge at Dr. Mist. He makes a twisting motion with his left hand just before the first leaping brownie hits him. It vanishes, as do the second and third. What did he-? There, a little way away. They reappear, reorient themselves and resume the attack.

Alan scoops up Sanderson and flies up into the air. "Does this mean Quinn's been Anti-Lifed?"

"That would be my guess."

Okay, brownies can't fly, so as long as we avoid the vine attacks-

I jink left to avoid their grasping.

-we should be alright. "Do we need to see anything else, or are we just getting away?"

In the blue light of his ring I see Alan frown. "We need to free them!"

Dr. Mist sidesteps a mindless lunge, then turns and grabs hold of his would-be attacker. "This is not like the infection we encountered in Bialya."

The brownie he's holding shudders and then goes still.

"If it was, I would have detected it on John Quinn. This is… N-"

Vines leap towards him from all directions, prompting no greater reaction than a negligent wave of his right hand. Fire swells in all directions, burning vines and incinerating crystals-

"-ew."

-but doing nothing to stop the brownie who appeared above him! It lands on his left shoulder, right claws cutting into his face and leaving bleeding lines across his cheek and forehead even as he drops his captive and tries to grab his assailant. The vines surge again-.

I grab onto him with a construct, attacking brownie and all. I know he's supposed to be immortal, but I'm not sure that makes him immune to being Anti-Lifed and frankly I don't want to risk it. I don’t know how the brownie got above him. Was it riding the vine and then jumped off when it caught fire?

Dr. Mist's passenger slumps and the doctor finally manages to get a good grasp on it, a faint white glow shimmering from his wounds-.

Which stay exactly where they are.

"Doctor, are you alright?"

"They are able to use the Anti-Life as a spiritual weapon. We need to scour the area for more information!"

I nod, rising higher into the air and extending filaments towards his wounds.

"May I?"

"It is not critical, but, yes. I would appreciate it."

Filaments try to bind the flesh? Nothing. Purple healing ray from subspace? Nothing.

"Um."

"Yet I can feel thet it is not interfering with my natural clotting."

"Did you hear some sort of 'something equals something else' when they attacked?"

"I did not."

"Alan?"

He shakes his head. "No, I didn't. Can you do something for Sandman?"

"I-I-I'm okay." He manages to pull himself upright in the bubble. "It was just a shock, that's all."

Dr. Mist looks at him for a moment, then grimaces. "It would appear not. I am sorry."

"Okay, how-?"

A brownie appears on my armour's upper surface, fingers passing through my construct armour and biting into the joins in my armour! I chuck The Demon and Dr. Mist at Alan as I form a construct pole to knock the brownie off! The armour plate is.. loose, a dozen points of attachment no longer quite as connected as they-.

Alan chucks our passengers back as three brownies teleport onto him! I catch them as he spins in the air with a construct bat swinging! He hits one in the stomach and dodges the second but the third manages to grab his right leg and-

SNAP!

"God-!"

A construct lasso yanks it off, sending it tumbling back to the ground. It vanishes before it gets there.

They can teleport.

I turn the area around me into a sphere of construct spikes, and after a momentary delay while he braces his leg Alan does the same.

"Doctor, can you..? Stop them doing that?"

Dr. Mist still has hold of his prisoner, a faint white glow visible around his hands and in his eyes.

"I still need to understand more."

I nod, looking down. We're a little way above the fields now, and I can see-.

"There. That area looks like they've already cut it down."

The Demon grimaces. "They're going to tell Quinn, aren't they?"

"They were still calling you 'Master' when they attacked. Maybe he doesn't have the control he thinks he does. If they think you're him then there's no reason to tell 'you'."

He raises his eyebrows. "But they might tell whoever's really in charge. Efficient, if a bit likely to get us killed."

"Yes, seeing the completed form of the vines may be useful. But we should be swift. I do not think that they will call in Quinn, but thet will not stop them calling in someone else."

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  5. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Yeesh. The Anti-Life is really nothing to fuck around with. Brownies aren't exactly the most fearsome fighters and with AL even they can threat Mist and Lanterns.

Also, Sanderson got infected? No, not the Cinnamon Bun!
    Maybe time for ParagonPaul to visit Ponies?

Also also...what would happen if the Anti-Life gets projected into a Dream-Storm?

6. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

"pods" should be "prods".

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"hits"

"need to"

"him from"

8. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

9. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

Wow. very rude just assuming that Quinn is evil like that.
    He as clearly keeping the brownies for study to try and cure them.

Cuchulin, JoTa34 and Rebu like this.
  10. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, sounds like Sandy got himself loose. But this is going to be a total fustercluck, isn't it? Vines, Brownies and whatever the fuck they can do with the Anti-Life they're touched by will not make this easy to finish quickly or cleanly.

Last thing you need is them getting a Constantine on their side.

What's the bet they have some form of anti-construct capabilities? For that extra level of 'fuck you' to Lanterns...

And of course they do. Which will also likely make them resistant to whatever Doctor Mist could do to them.

At least the black crystals are a one-shot attack, it seems. But did it get Sandy or not?

Heh, kind of the reverse of a displacer field. Unfortunately, it doesn't take them out of the fight...

Thank goodness for automatic evasion scripts.

Not the best time, Alan. Little hard to help them when they're trying to attack you, and they're construct-resistant...

Huh. Heck of a reaction to being grabbed. Or did Doctor Mist try a purification spell on it?

And this is where you remember, he's got more magical experience than most other mages on Earth combined.

Hopefully missed the eye, those are always messy. Still going to bleed like a stuck pig...

An another one goes limp. Seriously, are they like Ragdoll cats, with a funky reaction to being held?

Oh, that's bad. Wounds that won't heal, even when White Light-based magic is applied?

So, the wounds are soul-deep? That's even worse.

Probably hurts like a mother-fucker, even if he can ignore it easily enough.

Performance issues? Don't worry, OL, it happens to all Lanterns sooner or later.

So not classic Anti-Life. Could it be full-on Black Light? Or could Doctor Impossible be involved, and getting creative?

...Crap, what if he's infected with it? Is he a ticking time-bomb now, just waiting for the right time to turn on them?

Hopefully it can be burnt out with a little Spectrum exposure. Hope and Desire are surprisingly compatible, at a base level...

Some manner of entropic attack? Definitely aligns more with Black Light than Anti-Life...

:oops: Ooh, he's gonna feel that in the morning.

Well, shit. How far, though? 30 feet? 60? Line-of-sight? If that's the case, they're fucked as far as escaping goes.

Only real option is to keep filling the space around them with stuff, in hopes that they're not willing to risk a tele-frag.

Just don't peer too deep, or you'll find someone else looking back at you...

Nice, wide lines of sight, no cover on the approach... Yes, a nice killing ground, especially if they can't teleport in.

Or they're willing to kill even him in the name of whatever altered them.

So do your poking around, so you can get your asses gone, preferably away from the immediate area.

Oh, this just gets better and better. Teleporting brownies with entropic soul-damaging attacks? Which kind of sick DM thought up this little encounter? Let's hope that Doctor Mist can work out what's going on with them and manage to dispel whatever it is, at least from himself, Alan and Sandy. and especially that he can do it quickly, before one of the brownies actually does think to go for help...

11. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

The Brownies kept saying Justified does that mean the New God Justeen is behind this?

Minars90 likes this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think that's how some of the Anti-Life victims were called in the comics.

ChestBurster, Sojiko, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

During the fight with the Key, the Key was able to interfere with Paul's constructs.

If that's the case then maybe Dark Druid was somehow able to gain influence to corrupt them.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  14. Mr Zoat

No.

15. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Should be 'blue light' I think.

16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

17. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Given that this didn't start until Mist "helped" one of the brownies... It may entirely be possible that Quinn's behavior here was to limit the spread of the Anti-Life infection. I'm not sure I believe that to be true, but it's still a possibility.

detected it

the joints

18. Kalem_Lee

Kalem_Lee Well worn.

Rereading WTR. Still very fun.

Prince Charon likes this.
  19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, that's correct.

20. Threadmarks: Tower Offence (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

8th November 2012
    11:43 GMT -5

This area still has trellises, but the vines attached to them are cut short and the bark looks burned. Carbonised. Dr. Mist is looking at them closely while The Demon makes what looks like a half-hearted effort to copy him. I'm keeping watch while Alan tries glowing at Sanderson.

"I'm okay, Blue Lantern. It just, ah-. That was a lot."

"What did it say?"

He jerks his head around to look at me. "Say?"

"The Anti-Life fragments we've encountered so far have been in the format 'thing equals other thing'. It would give us some idea of what sort of thoughts it's imposing on you, and how we could counter it."

"I didn't-. I didn't hear words, I just kind of got an impression."

"Okay, what sort of impression?"

Sanderson look uncomfortable, turning to Alan for reassurance.

"Sandman, we've all seen a lot of unpleasant things. Things that would make it hard for a normal man to sleep at night. Some of us, like… Well, like Orange Lantern, deal with it by not worrying all that much about being 'normal'-"

I nod. "It's true."

"-and some of us prefer talking things through with our friends. Helps get a handle on things, turns them into things you can cope with."

I nod. "Back before-" I point at my eyes with my right forefinger. "-I got disarmed and chained to a rock by killer robots who were going to kill me and my friends. Talking things over with Guy and Wonder Woman really helped me get my head straight."

"Head..? Ah, yeah."

Alan nods. "And talking with the Flash helped me after.. what happened with Rose."

"Right, your girlfriend. I.. didn't want to ask, but I guess she'd be… Dead, by now."

"Ah. Yes. She died a few years ago."

"And as always, giving information to the authorities makes it easier for them to apprehend the perpetrators."

"Okay." He nods. "Okay. It… I didn't hear it say 'equals' or anything, but just for a moment there, it was like my life was a big mess-." He bows his head, shaking it. "No, that's not it. It was like it was showing me examples from my life and saying 'look, you're making a mess of things'. And it was all… True? I mean, it wasn't trying to deceive me, just to show me why it saw what I was doing the way it did."

He lifts his head up slightly.

"That's what's shaking me up so much. I've had people throw insults at me plenty of times. I still remember Aunt Dian's face when I asked why those hoods thought my name was 'Cat Might' when I wasn't Wildcat's sidekick."

The Demon doubles over. "Fucking hell, mate."

"Sandman, you can string together a clip show of someone's worst moments and make someone believe just about anything about them. That doesn't mean that it's the definitive view."

Alan nods. "And sometimes hearing something about yourself you don't wanna hear is the kick in the pants you need to get up and fix it. You think your life's kind of in a muddle right now? Well, it probably is. You were locked up in a basement and then kept prisoner by dream demons for sixty years. You're in the middle of fixing it right now; in five years you'll be back on track."

Sanderson takes a moment to absorb that.

"Yeah. Yeah, you know what? You're right. Thanks, guys."

Alan pats him on the right shoulder with his right hand. "You're always welcome."

"Of course, that did sound like the most orderly interpretation of the Anti-Life, which… Makes a worrying amount of sense."

Sanderson frowns. "What exactly is the Anti-Life?"

"We don't.. really know. In fact, as I understand it, us not knowing is a big part of what keeps the universe safe. Because to know that a particular phrase is part of the Anti-Life, you have to understand it. And to understand it you have to believe it, to have it shape your thoughts. And it's all… Things that a person might believe in their lowest moments, and it-. You end up thinking that that's just how things are, that it's normal. And then you try and spread it."

"Oh." He looks around at the fields. "Ooh."

"But it is beatable. You're feeling better now, aren't you?"

He nods. "I am. But I thought this was just a bunch of magical plants."

"They are." Dr. Mist straightens up. "But as Orange Lantern said, thet is a most orderly form of Anti-Life. It can be made to flow through these crystals and infest the entire world. While I cannot deduce why it is thet John Quinn is trying to achieve this horrible thing, I can at least understand his methodology. Demon, do you have anything to say?"

"That I've got more fucking sense than to mess about with Anti-Life." Dr. Mist stares at him. "What? I'm self-absorbed, not suicidal. There's not enough me in me to want to hollow myself out more."

"Concerning John Quinn."

"He.. wasn't doing anything with the Anti-Life last time I spoke to him. It doesn't even make sense to me. He wasn't-. Controlling people isn't.. really part of our nature. Manipulating on a case-by-case basis, sure. Maybe give people a bit of a nudge. But controlling them like this?"

"Do I need to list your criminal acts?"

He rolls his eyes.

"I'm not trying to say I'm innocent in any general sense. Just that I haven't tried to mind control people on an ongoing basis. I'm already the most miserable parts of John the First, I don't want to find out if I can be double miserable. And I can't be bothered telling people what to do. Too much like honest work."

"See, if you start with that, it sounds more honest. Any idea where the finished crystals ended up?"

"There is a focal point, not far from here. I do not know if it is where the crystals are, but we need to go there first. This place is a threat I cannot abide by."

He turns to face me, and his face is still bleeding.

"This is why I joined the Justice League."

Alan nods. "Then that's where we're going. Any idea why the 'brownees' gave up?"

"They know that we can fight them off, so they're holding themselves in reserve until the next time we get into a fight."

"Or perhaps their orders do not include pursuit."

Seems a little hopeful, but I suppose it's possible.

"No way to free the brownie, then?"

"Not yet." He notions, and chains of rock rise out of the ground and bind his prisoner. "Not without more knowledge on how they were infected."

Alan nods. "But you will be able to, won't you?"

Dr. Balewa nods back. "I believe so. With the source removed… Yes, I believe so."

"Are we creeping up or rushing the target?"

"I believe thet the element of surprise is lost. Let us attack with-."

My colleagues vanish, leaving me alone with the brownie in the field.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  21. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

"Dr. Balewa I've heard of the 'unspoken plan guarantee' but this is ridiculous."

22. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Welp, here we go.

23. Lothlo

Lothlo Not too sore, are you?

The element of surprise was lost... and then found by the enemy.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"makes"

"it's imposing"

"sense than"

You're a Constantine, so you really don't.

"do not"

Shit.

25. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

We're in OL perspective now right? so everyone except OL disappeared I'm assuming he has his special tattoos to thank for that.

26. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

This feels a bit odd, not sure if that's deliberate. "There are orders" perhaps, or "their orders are"?

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or whoever did this wants to deal with him alone.

28. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Or they consider Paul the biggest threat since he's responsible for Nabu's death.

29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

No, Sandy, it was a normal day for the League. But what about you? Having any feelings of inadequacy that don't seem to belong to you? Submissiveness towards a higher authority? The feeling that there is no point to life and free will, and that you'd rather let someone else handle it for you?

I mean, he's not as attuned to New God-style perceptions as you, OL. Maybe other people don't quite feel Anti-Life the same way...

See, that's more like it. What kind of impression did you get? Ennui? Helplessness? A feeling of smallness and worthlessness?

Could be part of the Anti-Life's self-protective traits, could be nervousness at this 'kid' being nosy. I mean, OL does look not that much older than Sandy's physical age, right?

To be fair, normal is boring, even in the DC universe, where it apparently means you can punch rock walls without breaking your hand.

To be fair, that was one of his lowest, most vulnerable-feeling points. And he did go on a spree of security upgrades before they slowed him down enough to talk...

Probably the lowest point of his life, where grief was damn close to overcoming his will to live.

Not wanting to burden him with the nasty details, huh? Understandable, that whole thing was unpleasant.

So, something akin to 'Life=Failure' or 'Effort=Failure'...

o_O Them's some well-spoken hoods, then. Catamite is quite the ten-dollar word.

Don't go explaining it, Demon. The last thing Sandy needs is your spin on things.

And Alan once again proving he is one hell of a mentor. Even without the Blue Light, the man can give an uplifting speech.

With it? Alan could convince a suicidal depressive that it'll all be okay.

Oooh, boy. What to say. The whole truth would honestly make him more vulnerable.

Yes, the implications are quite clear, then. Now imagine if someone could take advantage of that submissive state...

Nothing just plain and simple about anything when magic is involved.

Well, at least he isn't stupid. I can just imagine some demons looking at something like this and going 'This is a good plan! Imma steal it!'

On the other hand, the Golden Boy...It was implied he was doing something like this to his world, wasn't it?

I mean... Did he ever control someone into doing something they wouldn't have otherwise? Or did he just give them the temptation to do so? :sneaky: Putting aside the whole 'murder someone to steal their identity' or 'murder someone to use their life-force for an evil ritual' stuff.

Because even Evil has Standards, and a Constantine doubly so.

Uh, Doc, you may want to fix that shit first? :oops: I can't imagine that's making it any easier to see.

Yeah, why haven't they been assaulted from every angle by the teleporting, entropy-slinging fae yet?

Sort of a 'stay around here, and don't leave' thing? Kind of silly, but if them leaving the area lets them recover...

I mean, you brought him along to take a closer look. I assume you've been doing so this whole time, right, Doc?

Kind of offends his sensibilities to let them carry on in that state, huh?

So, slash and burn, or sneaking mission. I know which I might prefer, and it ain't the one involving a natty stealth suit.

...Cloaking tattoos pay off again, huh?

Well, either someone higher-up decided to haul their asses in and missed OL thanks to his tattoos, or Doctor Mist will show up in a second with an apologetic look on his (still cut-up) face... Either way, things might just have gone from bad to worse. The real question is whodunnit? Does Quinn have local leadership in his pocket, or is he just taking advantage of something already present? So many questions, and no answers in sight...

Vorian, kerleth, TopHatWearer and 7 others like this.
  30. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

You're right. Darko's already suggested a good correction above - "do not".

Ardy likes this.