1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I would guess we have a "join me as father and so...dude and other dude to rule this galaxy" speech incoming.

And I guess Quinn got overtaken by Order to try to do this?

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

alone
    brownie(s?). (There is more than one of them, right?)

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    There are, but he was refering to the one that Dr. Balewa took prisoner.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or by Darkseid.

5. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Not necessarily an 'or', there. You could make a strong case that Darkseid's desired end-state of the universe is, in fact, an exceedingly orderly one.

6. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Darkseid, Lords of Order, Desaad- could be one, could be a combo.

...I can't believe it took me this long to grok that Dr. Balewa is White/Life enlightened, and thus him being able to counter Anti-Life makes a ton of sense.

Though if it's a single brownie and not a swarm, it might not necessarily be what it seems.

7. Ryumancer

Ryumancer Dragons Are Romance

It was kinda mentioned ages ago that he is not, in fact, Life Enlightened, but he's far, far closer to it than pretty much anyone else.

8. Mr Zoat

It was?

Darn, I need to start keeping track of this stuff.

9. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I love the fact that you churn out so much content that not even you can keep track of it all;)

10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Considering he's the only one with white quotation marks, he might as well be enlightened. This is especially true if he is also resistant to the Anti-Life Equation.

11. Ryumancer

Ryumancer Dragons Are Romance

Yeah, not sure what chapter it was in, mind, but he was just using normal quotation marks, and at one point had a bolded white sentence which got people asking. Was probably around when he first showed up in story.

Though I could just be misremembering the context, and it's a bit hard to notice explicitly white text when the text is already that color...

Now, on the other hand, this was a super long time ago both in and out of universe, so he might've simply achieved it since then.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He should've been enlightened since before he first appeared, since he mentioned that during a long time meditating, he saw something beautiful, which was implied to be the Life Entity.

13. Mr Zoat

That was probably just me forgetting to put them in.

14. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

I didn't read the forum post while catching up on the story so I just assumed he was White Enlightened.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  15. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Which is one of the biggest reasons I have a problem with Order being the "Good guys" by default in DC Comics while Chaos has to be the "bad guys".

ChestBurster, Vorian and Windona like this.
  16. Threadmarks: Tower Offence (part 11)
    Mr Zoat

8th November 2012
    11:46 GMT -5

Teleportation? No, Dr. Balewa at least would resist magic-based teleportation and-.

Move-.

My construct barrier wavers and-.

Warning: spell eater temperature increasing.

Okay, clever dick. FEED ME.

And suddenly I can see the beam of purple arcane power boring into my construct armour, the construct replenishing as I take the pressure off by feeding on the magic. The beam is a straight line so over there! I fly rapidly over the blackened fields, construct hammer held at the ready. A railgun would be more effective but I do need whoever this is capable of answering questions.

I get a quick impression of robes and I swing the hammer, a translucent clawed hand appearing to catch if before it can hit its target! I dismiss the hammer at once and replace it with a railgun loaded with beanbag rounds, firing the moment it's ready. The shot goes straight through my target, but I'm getting a better view-.

Felix Faust.

Most of his power comes from his pact with a group of three eldritch creatures called Abnegazar, Rath and Ghast, respectively. His connection to them comes from a group of three arcane artefacts which should still be in storage-. In a secure Justice League facility which John Quinn would have full access to. Apparently, the act of tapping into them will break the spells binding them away from the material universe a hundred years after the year in which he first contacted them, so about fifty years from now. At which point they'll be Ophidian-food-.

I think I just worked out why the Reach abandoned Earth in the original timeline.

Of course, given that he was involved in Roanoke, my restrictions for dealing with him are a little more relaxed.

"Faust. Surrender or die."

"Anti-Life Justifies-"

I switch to mage slayers and fire at his centre of mass, but he interposes his demonic floating hand.

"-my actions."

The hand ripples, the spell-. Oh, is that ablative spell architecture? Clever, and since he's basically channelling power from his patrons who have the raw power to spare I'm probably not going to be able to out-drain it.

"What does the Anti-Life say, Faust?"

"Find out."

I'm yanked down as-. Where did these vines come from, this area was clear! I generate construct blazers and a plasma initiator construct but-.

Aimless=Valueless

I see myself going to Vega, and the unified fleet burning Wombworld from orbit, killing uncounted slaves and test subjects as well as the locals. I see the Orange Lantern Corps under Dox's command pushing the Reach back across the entire periphery. I see the Justice League's failure to accept an operational philosophy impairing their effectiveness.

"I'm-."

Aimless=Valueless

I see a world of people walking in lockstep, every action made at the direction of The Master working to raise the whole up, stronger and more vital than ever before.

But fortunately I don't care about any of that. I want, therefore I am. Sometimes the results aren't the best, but that's not why I do things. I do things because I want to do that when I think they will achieve something worthwhile, and I accept that I might be wrong. That's just life. And I'm certainly not going to trust that this time the autocrat who demands absolute obedience in exchange for benevolent tyranny will actually do a good job.

"Enlightened!"

Vines explode, crystals shatter and Faust gets knocked on his arse, though his floating hand survives.

Aimless=Valueless

"Says you."

Didn't get a clear vision of The Master, but I'm guessing Darkseid.

"What-?"

"Hello, Faust."

The floating hand is still there, but he doesn't react quickly enough to move it as my filaments leap out and grab him.

"Remember me?"

"Ah-?" He blinks, then frowns. "Actually, no. Where-?"

"Roanoke? You helped Klarion cast a spell that separated the world?"

"Obviously I remember doing that. I just don't-"

I spot the gestures he's making behind his back with his left hand and snap his left thumb's metacarpal so that his-

"Agh!"

-thumb is pointing backwards.

"In exchange for the information you possess, I will offer to abstain from killing you."

"You're a Lantern! How did you resist my power?"

"Killing you it is, then. Ring, assimilate."

"No, wait!" He holds up his hands, thumb dangling loosely. "I'll talk!"

"After Roanoke, what happened?"

"Fate put me in an oubliette, isolated from all magic. I don't know how much time passed. Then something happened, the spells keeping the prison secure weakened. I don't know what it was-."

"Me killing Nabu, probably."

"You killed-? How did-?! I mean-."

"Nabu's mind was a magic structure. Drain it faster than it replenished and his mind eventually collapsed. What happened next?"

"I worked at breaking out. Communed with my patrons, studied the remaining spells keeping me imprisoned. I was this close to working my way free when he turned up."

"He?"

"Someone wearing Fate's mask. It obviously wasn't him, but he could control the binding spells so I went along with him. He wanted my assistance in making contact with certain mortal allies of mine."

"I know who The Light are."

"And in getting hold of these… Crystals. After that, things get a little…" He frowns. "I don’t remember. I don't remember much, except-. I suddenly felt that everything I'd achieved in my life was a foolish waste of time. A hex, obviously, but utterly overwhelming. You freed me, so you have my-"

He raises his hands, grinning and the universe expands away from me!

"-thanks."

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  17. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

...so, does this count as OL's good deed for the day?

Seems to be some color issue here.

ChestBurster, BookZone, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  18. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Can't Paul warp space with his ring? I swear I read him do that.

19. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

No need he can just move fast enough to make any space warping meaningless. Especially combined with teleports.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Of course.

Remove the tag.

"spot the"

Maybe don't tell the evil wizard how to beat powerful beings that are likely to be his enemies.

21. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Good reactions, OL. Companions disappear without visible teleportation spell use? Someone else did it. Hanging about in the place they were? Bad idea, since whoever moved them could just as easily drop off a bomb when they realise they didn't get you. And now a direct attack. Time to get some answers, isn't it?

Ah, the good old middle finger against hostile magic. Which means whoever's casting is in line of sight of him...

And the lucky winner of an orange-flavoured can of whoop-ass is..?

Ah, Faust. He of the silly blue tights and flappy robe. And the natty little skullcap with its crescent moon topper. And even better, he appears to be an old acquaintance of Doctor Mist (Who sealed him in time until the modern day...)

Yeah, I have no doubt he has quite a few shares of multiple murder charges, mass terrorism and unlawful use of magic hanging over his head...

And he's Justified? :sneaky: Oh, this is the perfect chance to use him as a punching bag...

Well, that's rude. Time to give him a pimp-slap with a giant construct hand, perhaps?

Huh, man's been learning a few new tricks, huh? Guess he's had to do something after being locked up for a couple of years...

Ah, the Sororitas method to witchery: More Sacred Promethium! Burn, burn and burn some more.

The first, that had nothing to do with him. the second, he set up on purpose. The third? Well, that's on the league for ignoring good suggestions.

Ah, yes. Tyranny in its most primal form. And it's most evil.

Ah, the benefit of his mind being fundamentally broken in a useful way.

I wonder if Faust is even aware of the actual words OL is hearing, or if it's like Sandy's general perception of 'everything you try to do sucks, so don't bother'.

And it looks like that rattled the Anti-life clear out of Faust's noggin. Perhaps he'll be more talkative now.

Yoink! For bonus comedic points, I'm imagining him in the restraints they used on Kycelius in Doctor Strange :D (The Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, maybe?)

Oh, how convenient for you, Faust. Sadly, amnesia is no defence.

Gee, not even a little remorse? Or did the consequences not settle in before Nabu tossed you in Magic Order Jail?

Ah, a dual-purpose trick. Can't cast without a usable thumb, and pain will make it harder for him to concentrate on the spellwork...

It's called 'being a badass'. I'd say you should try it sometime, but you are so far from badass, you couldn't see it even with a scrying spell.

Oh, you remember that? Good to see that you're not a complete simpleton.

Sometime around six months later, or thereabouts? Ah, right...

Ah, don't think he missed that little spike of 'do want', Felix. Nor the 'oh shit, could he do it to me?' burst of fear...

Ah, now it becomes clearer. Who else would have access to the prisons other than Nabu's successor.

Oh, did he now?

Well, at least he doesn't realise what he had bouncing around in his skull for a while. Last thing anyone needs is this imbecile getting his hands on a fragment of Anti-life.

And of course he has has the 'Still Spell' feat, which allows casting without gestures... Probably not the first time someone's damaged his hands...

So, Quinn busted Faust out to use his help for... Something. One has to wonder whether the other two losers Nabu snagged after Roanoke got a similar deal? Unfortunately, until they can face Quinn directly, we won't know for sure. And he's apparently working with the Light too? Assuming that's who Faust was actually referring to, anyway. o_O Curiouser and curiouser...

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Now that was hilarious.

I'm also wondering if Faust is doing the weird movements he was doing during the binding.

23. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

What is the current status of Paragon-verse Light?

Ocean Master was dead and then came back for Oceanus. Queen Bee got killed by Firebrand. Klarion murdered by OL.

And they had Satanus join I think, but he also got murdered/usurped by Mammon.

It feels like they have been a non-factor for a while. But maybe Quinn teames up with them. Which would be bad to a degree.

24. Irked

Irked Experienced.

Yeah at this point Quinn is looking less and less like an actual clone and more like Golden boy who took a chance to yoink Nabu's helm and Order powers away from Constantine after Nabu's death then LARP as his replacement while he joins up with the Light.

It's also really REALLY bad because this means the Light have potentially had an insider feeding them confidential information from the Justice League for a while now, so who knows what they might have been able to set up in the background with the fakes help.

25. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

What's funny is that after they captured Satanus and Demon Constantine escaped Belle Reve, Paul advised Waller to add the Tower of Fate to Belle Reve to secure magical prisoners. John Quinn even had an off-screen conversation with Waller about it. There's various evidence that implies that Waller didn't go for it, but if she had followed Paul's advice Quinn would have had access to the Belle Reve's magical prisoners to add to this mess, like Satanus and whoever else, maybe that Dr Mr Gotham guy.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Firebrand just burned her.

Teth Adom killed her when she tried to mind-control him.

Satan's was attacked by Paul, Jade, Ambrose, Eutanthe, but managed to escape, only to be quickly captured by the League.

Paul then had Mammkn take his place.

27. BoML

BoML I trust you know where the happy button is?

Queen Bee was killed by Teth Adom in the Paragon-verse...because the idiot either couldn't stop herself from trying to use her powers on him, or she just isn't capable of shutting down her powers at all.

So...yeah, Adom ripped her in half...on live television.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

28. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

He has at least two ways to do it. The ring-way which was a form of FTL travel and the Orange Magic way he used to disable Priest’s barrier around Malvolio. Neither of those are precise. Hmm, there was a third technological method used when Paul fought Johnny Sorrow on Themyscira, but that was stabilization rather than intentional manipulation.

Uh oh. Ffffffffudge. There are almost certainly a few sets of power-nullifying collars here then, which is bad news for Sandy.
    For anyone forgetting, Mr Gotham was the weak vampire Paul defeated in record time after setting up his Corps.

29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So basically LePaul killing Nabu had knock on effects LePaul didn't even consider.

Who could have guessed....

Bud-E likes this.
  30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Hate Flows Eternal.

Or to put it more rationally, Faust is a tactical threat while the Lords of Order are a strategic threat. The SI is happy for the first to deal with the second.