1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

For the Queen Bee stuff people are talking about again . . . If I remember right, she had tried to mind control him at one point so he threatened to kill her if she ever tried again. Then when they ended up meeting for the second time she was too scared not to reflexively release pheromones.

Paul was right there and probably could have saved her since I doubt death was instantaneous, but instead basically just shrugged his shoulders and let her die.

Lord Ernest, Cuchulin and Chaoswind like this.
  2. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Fate captured both Dark Druid and Anton Arcane. Could Quinn have done something to them to make them his servants as well?

3. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

a -> an

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's still a very stupid thing to do, since the Lords are likely to try and stop Faust from doing more evil shit and telling him how to potentially kill them is a bad idea.

She only tried to control him once and it ended with him ripping her to shreds.

5. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I don't think it was fear, I think it was arrogance, but I might be wrong. Probably only Mr Zoat knows.

EDIT: Arrogance definitely lead to her death in the Renegade timeline, because Graven was both prepared, and underestimated massively how stupid her pride would make her.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  6. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

So Nabu only cared about Order which made him act as an amoral dick and Quinn sounds like a straight-up villain. He's keeping slaves, controlling them with Anti-Life of all things, and is working with the Light. Are there any good Order-Mages?

7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Don Hall's a good guy.

8. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I’m a little sad that Paul didn’t assimilate this guy, since it seems like having a pocket magician would be cool and useful, even if most of his power comes from artefacts that he probably wouldn’t use after being assimilated.

Also, interesting to hear that these demon guys are a big enough deal that they might have fought off the Reach in a potential future.

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That may take time that he doesn't have and Faust was infected with Anti-Life, so Paul may be worried about what could happen if he assimilates him.

It may not be their power as much as it was the Reach simply not knowing how to deal with a magical entity.

10. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

It's been a while since this technique showed up so I could be wrong about this, but I think all previous instances used coloured text.

11. Odysseus2099

Odysseus2099 Versed in the lewd.

If they're anything like their comics counterpart, they ruled the entire Milky Way galaxy a few billion years ago. They're absolutely a big deal.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That was probably just LePaul being wrong.

13. Assblaster5000

(Vaermina response)

The Reach can barely account for their own Scarabs doing something new, if a couple of eldritch entities powerful enough to pose even a small problem for The League through a minor pact decided to fuck around with them, especially a version of The Reach that doesn't know jack about magic, then they'd be more likely to abandon Earth than they would to stay. Either they got everything they needed and the losses aren't worth it or they didn't and the losses really aren't worth it.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Except Earth is full of those kind of entities who would have been fucking with The Reach the entire time they were occupying the planet.

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Assblaster5000

Which... only furthers my point? Earth is a Death World that any empire stupid enough to invade is going to want to abandon as soon as they realize that. The Reach may be particularly stupid and stubborn, but that doesn't mean they have infinite resources to throw at the problem and a sudden blitz by some uber powerful magic entities that can put up a decent showing against empowered Kryptoniains by proxy is going to turn any op FUBAR fast.

And, again, after a certain point if they haven't gotten what they want/need from the planet all the losses from territorial demons and gods on top of a sudden assault by beings beyond their mortal comprehension isn't going to engender a desire to stay.

Edit:This is a Vaermina response.

16. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Ehh....

On one hand, the Demons Three are pretty beefy in terms of mystical power in their comic incarnation, having once ruled the galaxy and doing shit like setting up a barrier preventing time travel.

I even remember a line in Sandman when Dream went to retrieve his helmet and found Hell ruled by a triumvirate, Lucifer mentioned that the Demons Three supported the Great Darkness when it rose up which necessitated the formation of the triumvirate in response.

Granted, that was before the Lucifer comic got written, IIRC, and Lucifer got "Yeah, I could solo Hell if I ever actually cared" on his stat sheet.

On the other hand......like, every time the Demons Three show up outside of a comic they're kinda just the punchline to a joke? Between that and how Young Justice rolls, I wouldn't expect them to be that big a deal.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I doubt they're that powerful here, but they may at least be powerful, but on a planetary level, not a galactic one.

18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Please bare in mind that while the timing is convenient, the SI doesn't actually know why the Reach left Earth.

19. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Plus depending, the Reach might have wanted Earth because Earth has agents who can fight magic and all they need to do is get those on their side. They just need a handful of quislings, essentially.

20. fappingtoyourpost

fappingtoyourpost Know what you're doing yet?

This is gonna turn out to be a highly unethical plot to screw over a bunch of villains and Darkseid, and OL will have ruined it.

DAT_NOOB and Odysseus2099 like this.
  21. Threadmarks: Tower Offence (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

8th November 2012
    11:49 GMT -5

I throw out chains of orange light but the rapidly growing distance means that they move slower than Faust does. I fly at him and no, no, I can barely see the him-shaped blur now, the patch of grass I was standing on forming an effective wallpaper to my existence.

So I swing my chains around, sending them into the 'sides' of my prison, orange light radiating outwards as I

consume

the alteration-

"How predictable."

-to local-.

The colour vanishes, my surroundings now a featureless void. That… Wasn't supposed to happen. My spell eater isn't heating up so I'm not under the effect of an illusion-.

"Can you still hear me, Orange Lantern?"

I turn around, and… The void is still featureless. "Okay, that was actually clever. Some sort of.. tether that only the person trapped can cut?"

"Something like that." Faust's spectral head appears in the void in front of me. "I copied it from the people who imprisoned my sponsors."

"I'm not being your slave for a hundred years, if that's what you're expecting to get out of this."

"Hah! Hardly. That countdown only starts if I draw on your power. If I just drop the crystal I palmed into the ocean, you'll be trapped until the sun dies!"

"Okay. So is this just a boasting session to fluff your ego, or are you establishing a negotiating position?"

He grins. "I'm starting with boasting."

There we go. Do that some more.

"I'm mildly impressed that you admitted to it."

"I was imprisoned by Nabu and then subjected to the Anti-Life. I'm honest enough to realise that I could do with something to boost my ego."

"Okay. Then, well done. Klarion fared worse against me than you did."

"Some superheroes treat their fellow humans differently." He looks pensive. "I'm not convinced that you've pulled out all the stops."

"I haven't, but my passive defences were supposed to deal with things like that. How did you get around them?"

"I know! It's like you don't exist to my arcane senses! Constantine's work?"

"Among others."

"Clever, but it doesn't stop area effects or manually targetted effects."

"Did you consider using the drain itself as a marker?"

"Of course, but this was easier. Do you have any idea how hard it is to locate the source of a drain when the thing you use to detect it is being drained?"

Interesting. He doesn't appear to have realised that the drain comes from my amulet and not my tattoos. On the other hand, that only became 'common' knowledge in the villain community after he was imprisoned, so it's not really surprising.

"Yes. That's why I designed it like that."

"Not that it does you any good now."

"You do realise that Mister Zard will be hunting you as well, now that you're free of the Anti-Life?" The floating head pulls back slightly. "It was Zard, wasn't it? When I lost the ability to see my colleagues?"

"… Yes, we were all dispatched once the brownies reported the disruption. But he'll go after your friends first. Anti-Life does not encourage initiative. I simply need to be elsewhere when he's done. So tell me, Lantern: how did you breach the defences of the Tower of Fate?"

"In the library, there's a window. Through the window you can see a dream storm."

"Those are common enough. What of it?"

"We came in through that."

He gurns. "Non-sense. If you're going to lie, at least make it believable."

"Sandman's prophetic power comes from Morpheus himself. It wasn't easy, but that's how we got in."

He considers my answer for a moment, then appears to dismiss it.

"Fine. Don't tell me. With you as a hostage, I'm sure that I'll be able to convince one of your friends to show me the-"

Got you.

showmetellmeIwanttoknowwanttolearnwanttobecomemoreandbiggerandgreater

"-way ou-."

I hit him with my armour's taser, then clamp a suppression chain around his neck.

"Gah!"

"Good effort."

He grabs at the collar, feeling the solid metal with a look of near-panic on his face. "What are you?"

"See, if you hadn't crossed me just then, you'd still have had access to magic while we hunt down Zard and Thorn."

"They'll kill me; I'm defenceless."

"Good. I'm a soldier before I'm a superhero, and after Roanoke you're hostis humani generis. Getting put back in the oubliette is the best thing that could happen to you, and more than you deserve. Your only hope is living long enough for me to link up with Blue Lantern and praying that he talks me down. Now FEED ME!"

An orange wave shoots through the farmland around us, not coming from me but terminating with me. The layout of the vines changes at once, reaching in all directions as Alan slashes at the explosive growth and it tries to envelop him from all directions. Sanderson has opted for a T-1000 approach by replacing his forearms with blades. I can't… I can't see The Demon, but-

Railgun and fire.

-Dr. Balewa and Mr. Zard are having a magic duel I can barely perceive, white light glowing from Dr. Balewa as the undulating vines are forced to keep their distance. Zard clutches his face for a moment, meaning that he doesn't even have any chance at all to dodge when my railgun round takes his right leg off at the knee.

He doesn't cry out, just collapses to the ground as the wound starts pumping out blood. Dr. Balewa glances my way for a moment before dashing towards the fallen Wizard.

"I thank you for shutting down his defensive spells, but shooting him was not necessary."

"No, it was precautionary. The Anti-Life fragment is aimlessness equals purposelessness, and it encourages servitude to those uncertain as to their life's direction."

"Then this will be-" His left hand motions to the wounds, which knits closed. "-relatively easy."

His right hand taps Zard on the forehead, causing his eyes to snap open.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGHHH!"

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"moreandbiggerandgreater"

"to the ground"

23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, the good old infinite plain of repeated textures so familiar to those who manage to break the bounds of an open-world map. Personally, I always like the games that have a mechanic to toss you back to the centre, like 'Motocross Madness' punt.

Let's see a confinement spell hold up to that...

And of course Faust expected that. Even though he's not seen OL in action since Roanoke. I see he's exploiting some part of a Wizard's expected high intelligence.

At least he's the sort to monologue. After all, he's not a Good Man.

Sneaky, but ever emblematic of Faust's methods. Always copying, never inventing...

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched, Faust. :sneaky: OL's a tricksy fellow.

Why negotiate with someone you think you have right where you want them to be - Under your thumb.

And OL is smart enough to take advantage of that towering ego. Some men just love to hear themselves talk.

Admittedly, OL made a lot more preparations against Klarion. Faust didn't need that kind of prepwork, being only a mere mortal.

Just for future reference, you know... Since you're clearly not going to let him out, are you?

Let me guess, Faust, you want a set? Pity he's not likely to help such an irredeemable arsehole.

If only in a general 'Okay, this area is not showing up on my scrying. Maybe it's blank, maybe it's important.' fashion...

Of course, the possession of said amulets is heavily policed, I expect? With people expected to report if one goes missing in any way?

Yes, do keep talking. Any news about your cronies?

Ah, the hook is in the water. Now to see if he bites.

Of course, this bit is going to be a bit hard to believe. A man like Faust would never put himself at risk like they did...

Before anyone asks: Gurning means he's making a disgusted face.

Well, if the truth isn't enough for you, you silly git...

Wow, he bit hard, hook, line and sinker right down the gullet. I suspect OL is going to enjoy this bit.

Gotcha.

I can just imagine Faust having a moment of 'what the bloody hell?' there.

Pity he isn't a Yellow Lantern, or he could actually say 'Your worst nightmare' with a straight face and mean it. :p Sadly, the classic 'I'm Batman' comeback falls a bit flat if there actually is a Batman around...

Well, tough titties for you, you right old load of bollocks. You made this bed, now you get to lie in your mess.

Good to see Sandy embracing the usefulness of his silicate form. But a missing Constantine is a cause for concern, all right.

Well, cut him off at the knees nicely, that did.

I don't know, you don't feel a little glad to see him in pain? He was trying to kill you, after all.

And that'll make it easier to patch himself and Alan up in a second, since I presume he's still bleeding.

Not an unreasonable reaction to having a chunk of Anti-Life burnt out of your mind by the power of Life.

Ah, always good to see some jackasses getting what they deserve. Especially the sort of evil jackasses DC loves to make their one-note villains into. I expect that'll settle the vines down a bit too, and give the heroes a chance to ask a few pointed questions. :rolleyes: Not that I expect these chuckleheads to have any useful answers, given they were basically brainwashed. Still, knocking a couple of Quinn's flunkies off should help when the inevitable confrontation comes.

24. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Thorn as in Blackbriar Thorn? Constantine defeated him at Roanoke and handed him off to Batman, did Batman just end up handing him off to Nabu?

25. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

You know, I think I've been hit by that fragment.

I always feel guilty when doing nothing.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Probably.

Aside from Atlantis they didn't have any other reliable place to put him in.

27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'm pretty sure he's reacting this way due to feeling the pain of missing half of one of his legs.

28. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Then why not Atlantis?

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The guy is at least 600 years old, so he'd have some experience.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It could be both.

Though I'm now reminded of an episode of Regular Show where Rigby is separated from his body and it suffers damage.

When he returns to his body he feels immense pain due to how much damage it took.

No clue.

Maybe he thought Nabu could make a better prison.

Which is true.

Or Zoat forgot about it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    Ngamer11 likes this.