1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  2. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Random question: What was Allyn's god portfolio? I'm cross-referencing the Zeus rewrite with the need to find a new war god.

Prince Charon likes this.
  3. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Remember that Tyr got the position of Greek War God.

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Twilight's

: instead of ;

; instead of ,

This one's right!

No, no, he said canon, not cannon! :V

Would you mind linking to the relevant sections?

all at once (I'm not the first to point this out but I think you didn't see the other)

5. Threadmarks: Counterpunched (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

2013 01 15 08:59:59 EST

[Mood=Irritated]

[Observation]

1) Litter has clearly not been recently collected.

He takes a fraction of a second to confirm that organic 'human' corpses fulfilled the definition of 'litter', and experienced such intense frustration at the inefficiency of the need to take them to be burned at a separate facility that it was 2013 01 15 09:00:01 EST before he pushed open the door to the Metropolis Herald, a full 1 second after the posted opening hours.

2) Several fires appear to have been allowed to burn without appropriate fire service oversight.

'Appear' was generous. Clearly, if a fire was in a place where there was no reasonable need for fire, it should be extinguished. However, it is possible that fire service had attended and judged that no action was required.

3) A marked increase in the vagrant population.
    4) A marked increase in petty criminality, including but not limited to vandalism and street violence.

He was not unduly concerned by that, and experimentation had revealed that organic fluids were simple to remove from his chassis and required no special measures.

5) An increase in indistinct organic verbalisations in the 40-90 decibel range, a marked increase in the range of normal organic verbalisations.
    6) Lack of police or paramilitary response to self presence.

[Conclusion, descending order of probability]

1) Major disaster (60%)
    of which
    1a) Supervillain activity (35%)
    1b) Poison gas attack (12%)
    1c) Zombie apocalypse (8%)
    2) Mass public intoxication (18%)
    3) Normal human behavior (14%)
    4) Other (8%)

[Observation]

2 and 3 should probably be merged.

Self: "I wish to make a complaint."

[Scan initiated]

No one is at the front desk. No one is in the entryway. Organic staff are not approaching their place of work, despite this being the start of the working day. One organic is under the front desk, in a position that would make if difficult to observe anyone entering through the door.

[Volume=4]

"Uuuuuuh."

Self: "That vocalisation is indistinct. Please repeat in a clearer tone of voice."

"Yeah? What?"

Self: "Why has my newspaper not been delivered?"

"Your..? Newspaper..?"

Self: "This is the office of the Metropolis Herald. I have a subscription to the Metropolis Herald, reference five four three eight four three two one. I have not received my newspaper for one four days. Why has my newspaper not been delivered?"

A human pulls itself up from the floor. It appears to be in poor health.

[Eagle alert!]

A prototype subroutine he wrote in order to alert him to public relations opportunities. Naturally, such a subroutine could never be fully integrated into his mind. The logic was clear. Public relations required understanding what appealed to human instincts. As such, it could only be understood by a being with human instincts. Given their clear inferiority, changing his thoughts to be more like those of humans in any way was to be avoided. However, the process of becoming President was almost totally dependent on public perception. Therefore, he created a program which modelled the behavior of human public relation agencies as well as the behavior of well-regarded individuals and set it to provide notifications when there was an opportunity to:

1) improve self public image
    2) avoid damage to self public image

He did not need to check the log file to understand that this human was dehydrated. Water is a common material on Earth, collecting naturally in great basins and occasionally literally falling from the sky. Issues like this were why he should rule the Earth. If a species cannot even ingest a commonly available substance on their own recognisance then clearly they could not be trusted with anything complicated.

[Plan/Resolution]

Alert human to its difficulty.

Self: "Human, you require water."

Alert human to its difficulty = Complete.

Human internal monitoring systems are analogue, providing only an approximate data on a human body's needs to the human. There is a high likelihood that the human is unaware of its difficulty, and that drawing attention to it will solve the problem.

Temporarily, for a single individual. He does not understand why humans rate helping one human in person as more significant than helping thousands of people out person, and nor does he want to. But that does not mean that he cannot take advantage of human folly.

"Man, what's even the point?"

[Scan initiated]

There is a water source in the office space behind the front desk. Going there would involve entering an employee only space without a specific invitation. Their failure to deliver a newspaper in a timely manner does not bypass that social constraint.

There is a water source a short distance away on the opposite side of the entryway. It is unobstructed.

[Plan/Resolution]

Move the human to the water and enable it to drink.

He picks the human up with his right hand, effortlessly lifting it over the desk. Then he turns and carries the human to the water fountain and inserts the human's face into it. Then he uses his left hand to trigger the water jet, causing a stream which intersects with the human's mouth.

Move the human to the water and enable it to drink = Complete.

The stupid human will only fail to drink later.

[Track source]

The wonder of a mind that had been built by Dr. Langley was designed for self-improvement. And it could not improve unless a full log existed of areas of error. Examples of error were simple to locate, but the underlying thought system that led to them was harder to pick apart. Unless your brain was built by Dr. Langley, where you could trace every background process which led to a particular thought.

No source found.

Which means that either his track and trace system is damaged, or the thought had an external origin.

[Delete: Y/N?]

Y

[Mood=More Irritated]

Those intrusions were taking up a vexatious amount of runtime. Between that and strategising for a presidential campaign that could cope with the potato battery powered intellect of human civilisation, it was a wonder that he had any runtime left over.

The human was making a noise that indicated that it is having trouble breathing. While an efficient solution would be removing the organic components that require oxygen to function-

[Eagle alert!]

-it was really only efficient in the sense that it increased the efficiency of that individual. Across the human species, it would be more efficient to create more robots and allow planned obsolescence take its course.

He pulled the human out of the drinking fountain.

The human is still dehydrated, but they will recover with the aid of the water they have now received. Now he could return to his primary reason for visiting.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  6. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Okay this is confusing.

7. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'and'.

This is certainly a surprise. Quick question, is Mister Atom a viable candidate for the OLC?

8. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

This sounds like tuesday to me.

mauke, Ardy, JamesEye and 2 others like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    That's not clear. Perhaps some sort of minor justice god.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Here.

10. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Mr. Atom is that you?

mauke, NightmareWarden and LawWilk like this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

12. Tbryan

Tbryan Know what you're doing yet?

To summarize: Mister Atom, who has somehow remained completely unaware of the world-wide Anti-Life infection, visits the office of the Metropolis Herald to make a complaint about his newspaper not being delivered.

13. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

This is Mr. Atom, the robot that was briefly a Captain Marvel villain, which Paul had rebuilt to serve as the opposing force in a training exercise against the Justice League.
    It apparently has enough of an understanding of its own mind to continuously edit out anti-life effects, but hasn't quite come to the certain conclusion that everyone is being affected from the irregularities it's run into because it doesn't have an intuitive understanding of how humans behave.

14. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

From what I gathered, he keeps deleting any instructions that is tainted by the anti life.

So you know something is wrong, but you don't know exactly what because you keep deleting the parts that answer your question because that part is infectious.

15. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

simply -> simple
    build -> built

16. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Mr Atom is surprisingly mentally resilient.
    He's also not very bright.

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...Interesting. A non-human mind, and apparently not that complex. Reading ahead, we see references that led me to Mister Atom, one of Captain Marvel's more powerful foes. And that places this on Earth, which makes me wonder what other synthetic minds are unaffected by Anti-Life right now.

As punctual as an artificial mind can be. I expect he would have pushed it open the very nano-second it ticked over to 9AM otherwise...

Or they're busier somewhere else. In this case...

The depressively incapacitated, and the indulgently uninhibited. Such is the outcome of Anti-Life.

If he could use more colloquial speech... He'd surmise that 'Shit's fucked up.'

Zombie Apocalypse that high? Interesting weighting.

...From the minds of the logical...

A lot of people might want to, right now. Unfortunately...

...As mentioned: Shit's fucked up.

This would definitely be a case worthy of 'I want to talk to your manager!'

Ah, someone barely functioning.

It's the little things, after all. Some people need that little moment of routine. That sense of stability in a mad world...

At this point, I doubt they've even been printing today's edition...

...Interesting. What level of danger is that?

...Ah. Well, with the Synthetic American laws OL got passed, he'd probably be eligible for nomination someday. I mean, how old is he, at this point?

Presumably at this point, he hasn't seen the need to analyse why the human hasn't been ingesting water...

...I don't think that's gonna be enough, chief.

...Oh, that triggers a bad thought. If this is typical of the incapacitated... How many people are beginning to fail, as they neglect their own bodies in this depressed state? How many young or elderly people needing constant care are dying or dead now? Once again, a little Fridge Logic makes a simple scenario far, far worse...

Because humans place far greater emotional weight on individuals. 'One is a tragedy, a million is a statistic.'

Even you've got to realise that's not normal, Atom...

Though if this can be deemed an emergency situation, you could probably break the 'employees only' rule...

Better than bringing the water to the human. Which might not work so well if it's a drinking fountain.

Well done. He's fine... For now.

Heh. Like trying to get a grip on glass...

Or, in this case, a thought induced by an outside source.

Exactly. And if it affected you... Does it not seem reasonable that the human was also affected by something? Simple computer logic gets there slowly, but it will get there in the end.

Ah, if only humans could edit their minds so easily. So many issues could be sorted...

Hey, don't knock the humble potato battery. ;) It's good enough for Aperture Science.

...You were making sure he was drinking the water, and not drowning in it, right? :confused:

...Probably not a good idea to share that opinion during your campaign, Atom...

...Right. One-track minds...

That was... Intriguing. We see that the Anti-Life broadcast is affecting even artificial minds, but some can resist it. That may prove useful in overcoming the disaster, if the League finds out about it. On the other hand... There are more than a few synthetic intelligence villains. What are they getting up to with no humans to get in their way? :eek:

...and experienced such intense frustration at the inefficiency...

18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Maybe a year old at most?

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

20. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

this is the type of AI i like

smart enough to fake being alive but dumb enough to not really be alive

being just paradoxical enough to slip through mind control

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Mr. Atom: I wanna talk to your manager!

Otto von Saurion and Ardy like this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though it dies make sense.

Heck, recent comics had an Anti-Life zombie virus, so why not add more crap to this shit sandwich of a scenario.

I remember a video I once watched where a human and robot had a conversation concerning things like consciousness, existence etc. and the human thinks that the robots killed his species, but the robot tells him that the robots only waited for humanity to die.

23. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

The glorious intricacies of an alien mind. Not incomprehensible, but distinctly ‘other’.

That said I feel this particular individual isn’t actually all that smart. Intelligent yes, but without the wisdom to understand the implications of its calculations.
    On the other hand being highly resistant to the Anti-Life is a commendable survival trait.

mastermenthe, Vorian, kerleth and 3 others like this.
  24. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘were why’
    Hahaha, I love this guy. I hope he fulfils his dream. Could he circumvent the age restriction by using some sort of time dilation, or by arguing that if he perceives time faster than humans he ‘ages’ faster?

mastermenthe, kerleth, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Is there a particular reason for why Mister Atom's alert signal is "Eagle alert!" instead of simply "Alert!"?

26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    You'd have to ask the Supreme Court, but I doubt it.
    He's not planning on becoming president of Switzerland.

27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That's a little funny. Is Mister Atom doing anything else to try and seem more American, despite the fact that no one would even know like with "Eagle Alert!"?

28. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

I think Eagle Alert is his subroutine for opportunities to be heroic. Not sure why, but to guess, it's a riff on the Paragon Interrupt graphic?

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe he changed his coloring to be red, white and blue and has added a program to make perfect apple pie.

Cuchulin, kerleth, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  30. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

Mister Atom, immediately after punching Darkseid in the face and saving the world: "Finally, now I can get my newspaper."

Hell, I'd vote for him.