1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

with a name like that they better have superpowers if they want to get through middle school

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

He can control pretty much any part of his body. He could fill his testicles with milkshake if he really wanted to.

Vorian, Bramble Thorn, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  3. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

An adventurer is just a professional lost person. They keep getting stuck in places no one wants to be, and then are professionally good at levaing.

Vorian, Prince Charon, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  4. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Doesn't Paul end up slowly losing whatever extra magic his tattoos pickup? It's why he say, doesn't have energy from when he was in Desire's domain left over. It basically bled off.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Considering Alan started transforming into a will elemental from so much green light soaking into his soul I suspect there is a point of no return, but before that, yeah, whatever effects of his tattoos soaking in a particular form of energy seems to be temporary.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  6. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I mean, there's always the Most Common Super Power...

Missing blank line.

Unless this is a stock phrase, "caitiffs" I think is the plural?

begins

7. Threadmarks: Compass (part 22)
    Mr Zoat

13th February 2013
    21:32 GMT -5

"…direction of my life, that when I return to you I am found worthy. I submit myself entirely to your desires." "Bind Us Together."

I feel a something as Vykin finishes his prayer, though I don't know whether or not it's a sign that what we want has actually-.

"I… Believe that I can feel them."

"Good show. Looks like the Source believes in you."

"That… Is not how it works." He rises to his feet. "But I thank you. Have all of my friends confided in you?"

"Not Serifan. Though I have my suspicions. Where are we heading?"

"In that direction." He points in-. Well, a direction. "Is there a path that way?"

No. "There's a path that… Might go that way."

"Then that is the path we will have to take."

"There… Is an alternative." He looks at me attentively. "There's an animal that's sort of circling around this island. If we jump off, we can probably land on it. Then we'll have however long it takes to throw us off to work out how to get it to go in the direction we want."

"I am not skilled in animal handling. Are you?"

"No. Normally I can just bypass that using my rings to make animals want what I want them to want. But that's… Not reliable with creatures from the Shadowlands. At least, not on the one example of a Shadowlands creature I tried it on. What is it your Source-gifted power does?"

"It allows me to control magnetic fields. Though now that I once more have-" He clenches his right hand into a fist and rotates it, small metal balls rising off his vambrace. "-a degree of control, I can move and reshape magnetic objects."

"Can you put it around your body and fly? Because that's the best approach."

"If you wish to risk your life to my uncertain control, yes, that is something which I can do."

"That-. Okay."

I crouch down and put my left hand on the inscription knuckles-first, making sure that my ring's sigil is touching it. Whatever it is down there might be immune to being assimilated or branded, but there are less extreme mind-altering abilities available to me. John said that as far as he could tell, the Great Darkness didn't have any kind of plan, and that the damage it caused was more as a result of a thing of its level of power throwing its weight around than any sort of active malice.

It didn't want power, because it already had that.

It didn't want worship, because it already had that and didn't appear to notice.

It didn't want to touch the material universe, because it could already do that.

In its place, I'd have stayed where I was and played Populous. But it flailed around for a bit and then swanned off to the Source because… It wanted purpose.

My rings spark with orange light.

"Okay. I think I understand. This realm is defined by the Great Darkness. Its desires are paramount, not mine."

"And I can only touch the Source through it."

"But… I think"

Its desires define local desire, but there's almost nothing to make it fade. Which means I should be able to touch

Yes, like that.

Touch it and twist and pull.

Did that work?

Vykin is staring downwards. "I can… Feel…"

"Yes. Get ready, because while I know its approximate size and shape I have no idea what it actually looks-"

There's a pale yellow-. That's an eye, with a cross-shaped pupil, set in a navy blue hide-. And there's another, and another, erupting through the shroud containing this tiny islet and… Now they've split into two rows and I've got no idea what they're seeing and I can only assume that they're not designed for normal light.

"-like."

"It seems quite large."

"Yes it does." I stand as its body moves just far enough away that it's entirely outside of the 'clear' area around the islet. Another tug "Okay, I'm encouraging it to orientate itself in the direction you pointed. But as I said, I'm not entirely sure of its dimensions, so…"

Metal flows along his arms, forming gauntlets around his hands.

"I will be ready for a treacherous surface."

Your purpose lies that way. Your purpose lies that way.

I move to the edge of the islet.

Your purpose lies that-

I step off, leaning forward and trying to provide as much air resistance as possible.

-way.

I fall I fall I fall I think it's here-.

Ougff!

Grab the-! Grab the-! Grip with the knees!

There's a vibration in my feet as Vykin lands a short distance away from the… Tendrils? Whiskers? That I'm currently grabbing onto. He rolls over twice, trying to slap his hands down on the rough skin of the creature but being prevented from doing so by his own momentum. Sliding towards a drop he whips his head around and throws his arms towards me, metal flowing together and extending into a thin tether line. It's going to-.

Wrapping my legs around one tendril and gripping the other with my left hand, I lean towards it with my right forearm at the ready-.

And that's the second time I've had my shoulder dislocated! But the armour mesh holds, and the wire wraps around my vambrace and pulls, giving Vykin something to hold onto and this is much less fun when I'm able to feel pain!

Vykin gets his feet back under him just in time for the creature we're standing on to undulate, sending him tottering-

"Ah!"

-to the side.

"Which way?! Nod your head!"

He staggers in my direction, small droplets of metal running down his body and coating the bottom of his boots to let him grip better, using momentary eye contact to indicate which of his jerky body motions is supposed to be my guide.

Your purpose lies that way.

I feel the creature move again, but this time Vykin is close enough to grab his own tendril, and pulls the metal wire off me to better attach himself. And I know how to get my arm back in its socket but I can't really do it here.

So I guess I'll just have to hang on tight.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  8. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

9. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Any guesses on which of the Forever People will pop Paragon!Paul's humerus back into his shoulder socket? Or do we think Paul will delay until he can employ his preferred technique of removing the limb and regrowing it fix it himself?

I remember a few years ago readers suggested that every Paul should wear their ring on one of their ribs or another internal finger-sized body part in order to counter of the most common Lantern weaknesses. Well I'd say this arc's rituals are a point against such paranoia. God, having to pull something like that out of yourself with a knife or something, what a terrible thought. Though the rest of the Corps doesn't have this excuse... unless "I don't want it inside me" generally hard enough to overcome...?

10. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

A spare ring. Not his main ones.

11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Honestly that's probably just his Godspeech. I suppose that if OL isn't listening specifically for it, all he picks up is a slight tickle in his soul. Still, the fact he was able to muster that much power bodes well for you all getting out of there.

...Not quite how faith works, but given his rather mercenary relationship with his deities (Eris and Hades) I'm not surprised.

I'm betting the Anti-Life exposure preyed on his fear that he could never be as cool as the cowboys he seems to idolize. That he'll never amount to anything special...

Honestly, unless one of you can fly, you're stuck following the paths you can find...

...Boy, that sounds like a rather desperate shortcut. Sure you don't want to take the safer route?

One sample does not a standard make. But it still feels foolish to do this...

...Magneto-style? I suppose that might work. Though it might be a little uncomfortable, depending on what parts of his costume are metal.

Yeah, that kind of puts OL in an uncomfortable position of his own: Not In Control.

Interesting. Trying to find some measure of Want in this realm? Seems like long odds.

Yet what can you want when you have that kind of power?

Goddamit, talk about rolling a natural twenty on his skill check... :p

Like a giant moody filter over everything. But turn your head the right way...

You're really lucky the DM likes you, OL. Most would put the kibosh on those sort of shenanigans.

Phrasing! :oops: Dang, that sounds more like it should be on the NSFW side...

And now he's doing the accidental double entendres too! :rolleyes:

Like a school of deep-sea fish. Strange, ethereal things that no man has ever seen.

Let's hope it's not carnivorous, then. Like a Whale Shark.

Ah, preparing some grappling gear? Time to ride the worm...

Just don't send it haring off before you get on it, OL.

Oh, this is gonna suck. And hurt.

Ugh, falling blindly is the worst kind of falling. Can't even brace for...

...Impact. Hopefully he landed with his knees rather than somewhere more sensitive.

Goddamit, Vy! Pull yourself up by your bootstraps, will you!

...Ow. I suppose that's only natural when you get a 95-kilogram-plus (about 200 pounds in American weight) humanoid moving at speed suddenly pulling on one of the weaker joints of the human body.

And having that weight swinging back and forth with your shoulder as the fulcrum point isn't fun, either.

Worry about getting him settled first.

Well, as long as it doesn't go too fast, you should be fine now.

There's always the Lethal Weapon method...

Seems a bit risky to hitch a ride of a flying... Fish? Whale? Thing. But I suppose they feel moving slowly across the paths would be too inefficient, especially given the loose time pressure they're under. After all, nothing says Lyssa Drak has to keep whatever portal she made to enter this place open. And I doubt they have the metaphysical oomph to force a way out from this side...

A few corrections, Mr Zoat:
    Missing Closing Quotation Mark.
    "It allows me to control magnetic fields.
    ...but there are less extreme mind-altering abilities available to me
    Likely 'erupting', unless he was dragging it out for style.
    ...assume that they're not designed for normal light.

12. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I'm not on that "internal ring" camp, honestly, the most dangerous adversaries are those that can supress power rings, bypass constructs and/or pinpoint your Emotional Spectrum energy device. And for those type of enemies, I don't think where the ring is exactly, is all that important.

For the rest of the Corps, I believe most have seen the demonstrations of the Illustres "sparring" with other members and removing from them the rings as a humbling lesson. Unless they believe themselves more in control of the Orange Light than the Illustres himself, knowing that is possible for someone to remote call the ring would discourage any idea of "internalizing" it, I think.

Vorian, Wivk, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  13. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

The only Paul we've seen who literally internalized his ring was Sybarite, and he did it in part to stop people from realizing it was a Power Ring.

Vorian, Bramble Thorn, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  14. ZzzSlothzzZ

ZzzSlothzzZ Dystopian Hugs

15. Mr Zoat

QuestingDuck
    You know what you did. Remove it.
    Thank you, corrected.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He does look like he's the youngest member of his team, so he may desire to prove himself worthy, so that could be it.

Though it could be something similar to Bear and he was forced to use his talents for killing and may have been shown that "cowboys'' were far from noble heroes that are of ten seen in old movies.

Instead if a John Wayne movie he got Blood Meridian.

17. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

he got stuck in blazing saddles

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. Threadmarks: Compass (part 23)
    Mr Zoat

13th February 2013
    21:36 GMT -5

"We are close."

"Good. Great."

I've been trying to work out how fast we're moving by checking the hole in the sky, but it's not working and the combination of the wrongness and the pain from my shoulder combined to be worse than the sum of their parts.

"Apropos of nothing, have you ever shoved a dislocated arm back into a shoulder socket before?"

"No. Moonrider once suffered a similar injury. It took Bear three attempts to correct it. He was quite embarrassed."

"I wouldn't complain, but I shoot with my right hand."

"I believe that you have done enough."

"I can never do enough. I'm an Orange-"

The creature we're riding on turns slightly, and I clench aaaaaargh my jaw as a new wave of pain shoots into my brain.

"-Lantern. Okay, up or down?"

"Down."

Right. "Hold on."

The creature undulates, front end rising up before pointing down. Vykin and I keep our grips but we're face down towards whatever it is that we're aiming at.

The creature remains silent as ever.

"I could try to use my metal to force it in, but that would risk injuring you further."

"I can fix any damage once we get out, and I can't really fight as I am. Have a go."

"You could fall."

"Just drag my body out when you leave and get someone to clone me a new one. I'll probably be fine."

"Very well." He tightens his grip on his tendril, and then tenses his forearms. The metal he had been using to maintain his grip drips upwards off him, coagulating into small balls before flying over to me and wrapping tight around my right upper arm, shoulder and chest. "Are you ready?"

"How close are we?"

"Close."

"Do it."

DDDDDDDDAAAAAAH-hah-ah-ah-ah-h-h-h.

Oh, I let go.

Ah. Ah! Spreadoutlookatthegroundforasloperollwiththe-!

Dah! Dagh!

Uh.

Cold… Pain, in-. Everywhere, except I don't think that I concussed myself. Right shoulder aches, but-. But the bone feels like it's back in. I… Think… I might have a broken left shin bone. I'm not sure, because I remember that in the immediate aftermath of a break you can't really feel it because the nerves are too damaged to relay the signal. But it certainly feels odd. Armour seems to have prevented me getting too torn up-.

Ah. Darn. Looks like a couple of broken fingers.

Gingerly, I lay my left palm-.

Owowowowowow.

I lay it on the ground and try and push myself up a little. To try and see what's going on.

From atop a tower of shadows Lyssa Drak looks down at me with an expression of mild surprise on her face.

"You're here. And not dead."

I glance left-. Bear's crouching behind a decayed stone wall, staring at me in surprise as shadows roil across the broken landscape. I flash him a smile.

"Interesting. These other people have been far less mentally resilient."

"Haa…"

Oh, winded too.

Vaguely bestial shadows chase Moonrider out from a broken down house, while Serifan's bullets are blocked by a shadowy talon.

Your purpose lies right there.

"And in this place-."

Oh it was a manta.

The many-eyed creature breaks through the darkness enshrouding the desolate plain we're on, smashing through the tower of shadows supporting Ms. Drak and… Sort of sucking a great deal of the shadow stuff into vents on its underside.

"By the Dark F-!"

"Hate to be a bother, Bear, but could you-?"

Between the roiling clouds of animated shadow and the sheer size of the thing, I can't tell where the manta creature ends. The sucking-. Ms. Drak grabs her book and is forced to walk inverted on its underside to try and escape the pull of the vents.

Bear hurries out of cover, grabs me and pulls me back behind his wall.

"Is Vykin okay?"

"He-."

The wash from the manta creature slams into us, and Bear digs his hands into the ground-. Then switches to a one handed hold to grab Serifan as he flies past, and throws him down next to me.

"He's on that."

Your purpose lies somewhere else!

A stronger suck and a sudden downdraft, and the creature begins pulling away, dragging the shadows with it. I can see the hole in the sky, and all around us is a… A town wrought in stone that was abandoned to the desert elements for a century or so.

I see a… Dot falling from the creature in the distance, wings of shadow forming on Ms. Drak's back as she swoops down safely.

"I can't… See him."

I touch-. OW! Broken finger, broken finger. Work through it, all pain is temporary. I draw the sigils necessary to utilise the Great Darkness.

"You two, touch here! Magic bypass!"

"Great!" Bear grins as he slaps-.

"Myfingersarebrokenpleasebecareful!"

Slaps the glyph. Strength for Protection.

"Sorry! But I feel better."

A little way to our right I see a wounded Lightray help a battered Dreamer towards us. Where did Vykin-?

The creature finishes flying over us and Vykin drops, metal tendrils webbing the tallest standing towers to bleed off his speed so that he lands on the ground with barely a sound.

"My friends. Even if we win, Lyssa Drak has no reason to let us leave."

Moonrider hobbles over, B'dg in his left hand. Vykin nods to them.

"It is time." We Are One.

Serifan's face falls. Are We?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
  19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It's nice to see Lyssa Drak getting surprised by Paul doing something unexpected. Paul hasn't really done anything like that lately, so I hope she'll be decisively defeated even if she'll probably get away.

Vykin just means that they can work together now, right? Not that they'll try to summon Infinity Man? Also, Paul really needs to give Serifan a pep talk or something.

20. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

the sum total of their parts.

21. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

This is quite interesting, but I can't help but go on to think that even if (when) they get out of here, they don't have a lead on an Indigo Lantern anymore.

Minars90 likes this.
  22. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Not "sum total", just "sum".

Oh, but I think they do.

Lyssa Drak presumably still has our lizard-bird lady's Indigo Ring.

And Lyssa Drak is right there.

23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Close to what, I'm sure they're about to find out. Hopefully they can dismount without suffering any more damage. Especially since OL doesn't have access to any healing equipment right now, so every injury suffered is a liability.

Trying to use a giant negative space wedgie as a landmark seems a little tricky. I doubt it obeys simple laws of optics like parallax.

...I'm amazed Moonrider let him try three times, much less two. The whole thing sounds rather painful, after all.

But sometimes, OL, you can let others take the slack for a while. Even if you have to put up with the niggling sense that they're doing it wrong.

He is going to be so happy when he can fix himself up, isn't he?

Careful about thinking directions, OL. Don't want to zag when you wanted to zig.

No doubt if it is making 'sounds' they lack the equipment to perceive them.

Better a few wire cuts than being useless in combat, eh?

And boy, for someone who was afraid of Death when they began this story, OL sure has become cavalier about it these days.

Hopefully this doesn't affect your loose control of the critter, because this is surely going to hurt.

Careful, or you'll tense up and that'll make it harder.

:oops: Ow. I kind of felt that.

I think this might be the perfect moment for a "Wha-ha-ha-hoooey!"

Yeah, the worst part of a fall: The sudden stop at the end.

He'll be feeling all that later.

...Or right now. At least he can work through the pain without his Ring.

Given she probably expected you to still be sitting on the rock you started on, that's to be expected.

He ain't got time to die.

...Oh, very eloquent, OL. Then again, you did drop out of the sky without a parachute.

Interesting that they're all together right now. I guess she tossed Vykin elsewhere to deprive them of their leader and assumed they'd crumble without him.

...Oh, right, their ride's still heading this way.

Bizarre alien biology at its finest.

Heh. Reminds me of MCU Loki post-Hulking.

Because of course gravity is purely a matter of perspective in here.

Heh. I guess he wasn't ready for a blow like that.

Yeah, best to get rid of the stage hazard now its usefulness is ended...

Okay, a nice battlefield for a boss fight. Pity OL's at HP Critical status.

Firing off a beacon for Vykin to track, eh?

Ah, youthful enthusiasm, without thought for pain or tiredness.

...Wait, do each of them contribute some spiritual aspect to their combined skillset? Are we going to have a Captain Planet moment? ...But who gets to be Heart? :V

Looks like the gang's almost all here. Just one squirrelly green lantern left to locate...

So perhaps she needs a reason to. Courtesy of you lot...

Ah, there we go, that's all of you. But, oh dear, someone's not on board?

Looks like their spirits aren't entirely in agreement on their course of action, courtesy of Serifan. Although even if they were, I'd have to wonder what they'd be trying to call up. Because the material shell of their big buddy is still on Earth and corrupted by Anti-Life. And I doubt the spiritual part isn't built to survive without some form of avatar.

24. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

25. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

To be fair, "trap Finality Man here" wouldn't be the worst plan I've ever heard.

26. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Paul could surprise Jade with a new pet!

How does oversized shadow-manta sound? Should be easily housebroken, right? :D

Vorian, Ardy, boo600 and 3 others like this.
  27. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

In the material universe, sure, but they're currently in the Shadowlands. The rules are different.

28. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

A headband would be best. During a space battle, any attack does get through a lantern shield has two insta-kill points instead of one when worn on the hand.

Prince Charon, boo600 and Lord Ernest like this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's too busy.

Even if they can't call Infinity Man, they may still be able to somehow synchronize themselves so that they can boost their powers.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  30. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

Spoilering various recent references to internal ring positioning:

Note this passage from Otherworld Part 18 from Paragon Paul's viewpoint:
    Which lead to this passage from Faed Away Part 14:
    After which, he tried to get Canis (that's who he's speaking to, in case that wasn't clear) to cut one out of him, but Canis said that it wasn't something he could do in combat without Aurakos getting Paul.

Some time after that when he had some time, he switched to having at least one ring outside in the usual position.

This of course doesn't settle anything, but is another data point.