1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Threadmarks: Compass (part 24)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

13th February 2013
    21:40 GMT -5

Vykin shakes his head. "Not yet. We have not been since Apokolips. They tortured us with our greatest vulnerabilities. Made weaknesses of our strengths and vices of our virtues. They made me believe that my decisions were the only reason-" Bear goes to say something but Vykin silences him with a gesture. "-that we were captured. Guilt has been poisoning my soul ever since. I love each of you, my friends, and the most painful thing in the universe to me is the thought that I was to blame for what each of you suffered."

Moonrider shakes his head. "That is not why it happened."

"I know that in my head. As you should know that it is not yours, either. Whatever they told you, whatever you felt, that is what they do. It was a lie. We could all do better, but the Source will not turn from us if we fail to be perfect."

"I-." Dreamer looks away for a moment before staring straight at Vykin. "They showed me how their people live, all of the suffering, until I could not take it any more. And then they kept it going until all I could do was scream mindlessly. I can barely bring myself to see anything even now."

Bear lays his right hand on her shoulder. "They made me believe that unless I used my full strength against their warriors, you would all die. But… They were not warriors, and you were not in danger."

Moonrider looks pensive. "For the most part they left me to my thoughts. The idea that I should have acted differently, that I should have held back. Occasionally they made me run some gauntlet where quick thinking simply got me hurt more. But that was a deliberate attempt to break me. I know that."

Serifan shifts awkwardly, while Vykin looks at him compassionately.

"Serifan, we have all seen the worst parts of our own characters. We will not-."

"Fine!" Immediately after shouting, he seems to shrink in on himself. "They… They found criminals. Worst of the worst. Stuck 'em in front of me and showed me all the proof of what they did. Most of them admitted to it, too. And they gave me a choice. I could shoot 'em dead, or they'd let 'em go and make me watch when they went right back to doing whatever they were doing before."

Vykin nods. "You are not responsible for-."

"I know that! Weren't me doing it! But I couldn't know! They're Apokoliptians. They can lie real good. Maybe it was all fake and they were good people! 'cause after the first couple of times I started shooting them and I'm terrified to go to their homeworlds and see if it was true or not!"

"The Apokoliptians would neither have cared for their guilt nor for yours. However it felt, they had control of the situation and full knowledge of the truth of the matter."

"I know you're right, but…" Serifan raises his right arm to wipe his eyes. "I was the one who watched 'em die, real close-like. I watched 'em bleed, and collapse, and die, and I don't know if they deserved it or not."

Vykin walks up to him, embracing him. For a moment Serifan doesn't respond, then he raises his arms and hugs Vykin back. The others come closer, clustering around and extending it into a group hug.

Next to me, B'dg blearily opens his eyes. "Did we win?"

"Like..? Morally…?"

As the huggle awkwardly pulls apart, Moonrider smiles. "I have missed all of you." "Let us never be parted again."

Lightray sits down next to B'dg and me. "It's nice to see that they're doing better."

"Do you have any medical training?"

"When you heal from physical injuries as quickly as we do, it doesn't-."

"Get the book, get us back."

Lightray nods, ignoring B'dg trying to glare him to death, and stands. "Children of New Genesis. Are you recovered?"

"No." Vykin turns to face him. "But we are recovering, and in time our shared suffering will make us stronger."

"Taaru!" / "Taaru!" / "Taaru!" / "Taaru!" / "Taaru!"
    "We Are One!"

There's a flash of golden light, and…
    Reality Command: Tracelessness.
    Lightray looks at the spot where the Forever People were standing.

"… Oh."

"Did they-? Did they explode?"

"No, I would have felt that. I.. don't think that-."

Shadows surround and engulf him, pulling him up into the air and pinning his arms and legs before solidifying!

"That was an impressive feat."

Ms. Drak walks out from behind one of the partly-ruined buildings, animated shadows playing around her body. Oh. I feel stupid, but I've only just noticed that nothing here casts a shadow.

"Overcoming their mental deficiencies in this place. And escaping. I cannot feel them at all. But they appear to have abandoned you to your fate."

"Or they've had the sense to go and get an actual Shadow Champion so they-"

She steps on my hand.

"-AAAAAAAAGH!"

Aah. Haaah.

"That's really petty and unnecessary!"

"How can I test your resolve without pushing you to your limits?"

"Why would you want to do that in the first place? You're not going to give me a yellow ring, and I'm so atypical that you can't use what you learn from me to guide you with anyone else."

She stares down at me-.

"AAAAAAAAGH!"
    Reality Command: Still.
    "You have a strange way of pleading for mercy. Perhaps if you-" The shadows swirling around her freeze in place. "-try-."

She stares at them, then tries motioning with her right hand. They remain exactly where they are. She tries to open her book, but the pages remain resolutely sealed shut. She-.

"AAAAAAAAGH! WHY?!"

"How have you done this?"

"He hasn't."

There's a golden shimmer in the air as... Someone in gold and blue armour shimmers into visibility.

"But compared to the strange geometries I have studied, the connection you're using to manipulate the residue of the Father of Shadows is simple to disrupt."

He takes a step closer, brushing aside the shadows in his way with his left hand and pointing his right at the shadows enveloping Lightray, which twist and fade at they return him to the ground.

"It's fascinating, really, but I don't think the children would appreciate it if I took my time. Go." Reality Command: Transition.

A flash of golden light and she vanishes, her book left behind. Immediately the shadows flow away, vanishing into the buildings.

He looks down at me as I reach for the book. "My connection to your realm isn't stable. Can you manage from here?"

"Probably."

"That will have to-." He grunts quietly as his body begins to fade. "Have to do. Give my regards to Highfa-."

A flash of gold and he vanishes, the Forever People falling out of the air in the place he occupied. They appear uninjured but recumbent.

"Lightray, can you turn the pages for me?"

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
  2. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'blearily'.

That space should be removed.

Hello Drax. I hope this will somehow lead to New Genesis giving Earth aid against the Anti-Life.

3. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Extraneous period at the end. It is also visible.

4. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Hey LePaul?

Remember that time you had your everything broken and had to get Lightray to turn the pages of a book for you?

6. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Good for the Forever People, they have regained a semblance of their old self with this important step to recovery. Now it's just a matter of continuing their healing process.

And what a petty bitch that was. Blabbering about understanding how people overcome whatever, she's just a psycho, really.

7. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

Before Mr Zoat gets to it, I believe that he is particular about calling it a full stop. It isn't in the FAQs, but he's gotten annoyed about it before.

Edit: Apparently not this time. _shrug_

8. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Odd time to be having a sit-down therapy jam, but honestly, if they can get back in tune with each other, who knows what will happen. Though I'm picturing Lyssa just floating there going 'what even?' with a confused look on her pretty blue face.

And naturally, as the leader, Vykin feels their pain all the more keenly than his own, because he thought he's responsible for it...

Yeah, nothing new from either of them. But this might well be the first time they've really opened up about it to their partners.

I assume Moonrider operates on a level of instinctive knowledge of 'this is the optimum action' in battle. So of course they'd force him to hesitate and be overly introspective.

Ah. The cowboy kid was forced to play a more lethal version of the age-old game.

And you didn't really have the option of not playing the game, no matter how rigged it was...

But did you take pleasure in it? Because that would be the worst aspect of their little game. Because sooner or later, you will have to use lethal force on someone, good or bad...

I suspect that was Serifan's greatest fear: That they would hear what he did, and reject him for it.

They're not completely fixed, but they're getting there.

Ah, the awkwardness of having to sit there with broken bones just watching them finish off the job of working through their issues that you helped them start.

...You hope, OL.

Sometimes the strongest bonds are tempered by suffering...

Well, looks like they managed to do something.

...Like possibly destroy themselves by trying to summon something that might be broken?

Something happened, though, and whatever it is, it's big.

Great, the most intact member of the group remaining, and she's going to do the 'pull bits off' thing, huh?

There's no light, so how can it cast a shadow, after all?

They may need several to sort it out...

...Ow.

No, hon, you're just being a pissy bitch because he's managing to make a joke of your experiments.

Man's got a damn good point, you know.

...Oh, here it comes. Just took them a minute to get here.

Having performance issues, hun? Don't blame OL for it...

Hello, Drax. Nice to see you looking a bit more corporeal than you usually are.

Ah, the joy of a literal Deus ex Machina. Especially when you consider that his avatar in reality is a giant robot.

In other words, if he stays too long, he breaks, or this place would.

Boy, not much stamina, huh? Still, they're in a better position than they were a minute ago.

Geez, talk about lightweights. One round and they're out for the count? :rolleyes:

...So, literally saved by an Act of God. Or at least an Avatar of something close to the Source.Still, that's about how most fights involving the Forever People usually ended. Pity it's one of those last-resort win buttons that can only be used in the last minute of a fight. Now, to see if OL can work out how to open a portal home, with Lightray's help...

9. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘Perhaps if I-‘
    or
    ’-I try-‘
    Hahaha, this is pretty funny. Also, is this the first time this version has been tortured?
    I thought this guy was corrupted into Finality Man. Did he get uncorrupted, or is this a new copy, or what?

10. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Hmm. So Finality Man is not Infinity Man, since the latter was not showing signs of Anti-Life contact. Does this mean Finality Man is made of a similar team of New Gods? Or random slaves molded to this purpose?

Regardless, the short transformation indicates to me that the Forever People aren't going to clean up the source of Earth's failings. Sorry The Question, you're going to be stuck for a bit longer. Hopefully you at least get a power up out of your traumatizing imprisonment...?

11. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

"Get the hell out of here."
    "I don't listen to you!"
    "sudo get the hell out of here."

12. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

See, it can only be used at the end of the fight because using it ends the fight.

Much like how a full stop can only be used at the end of a sentence.

13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Does Bane count?
    No, you're thinking of Uncle Drax's Magic Robot. This is Uncle Drax In Person.

14. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

all I could do was scream mindlessly.

15. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

One of the last two ‘up’s is extraneous.

16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

17. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

The idea seems to be that Infinity Man (New God robot corrupted into Finality Man) was a robot that Drax worked on wherever he is stuck (as Lightray said the other way to get there was being very lucky after being Omega Beamed). The Forever People summon it so that Drax can contribute. I suppose with the robot Anti-Lifed, Drax realized something was fucked when it never returned. So his only contribution atm is a couple seconds of intervention.

18. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

However.

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  19. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’thought’

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

21. Birdsie

Birdsie Making the rounds.

Weird question, but can someone remind me Paul's Orange Lantern Oath?

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

"This is my cause, this is my fight!
    Shine through the void with orange light!
    I've claimed all within my sight!
    To keep what is mine, that is my right!"

23. Birdsie

Birdsie Making the rounds.

Big thanks!

Xmaster3000 and Ngamer11 like this.
  24. Threadmarks: Compass (part 25)
    Mr Zoat

13th February 2013
    21:45 GMT -5

Shadows swirl and the pages of the book flap and we're back.

Wholeness Rightly Assumed.

Ahhhhhh…

Serifan looks around, frowning. "Who said that?"

B'dg twitches in his hands. "Got one of those fer me?"

"Yes! Certainly! Would you mind taking your ring off?"

He tries moving his arms, and they just sort of shake a little before falling back. "Hey, kid, could you take it off fer me?"

Serifan frowns at me for a moment, then reaches his hand over and pulls B'dg's ring off his finger. Immediately I hit him with an orange beam, scanning his injuries and knitting his flesh back together.

Moonrider frowns. "Is there a reason why you did not use your healing ray?" "I think it was him."

"That would probably be fine." I shut the beam down as B'dg checks himself over before putting his ring back on. "But with a novel species I'd rather err on the side of caution. You alright?"

"Yeah." He looks at the book as Lightray picks it up, closing it and examining the cover. "Shame we can't say the same about Lantern Peldak."

I scan the cover, and… Yes. That's her skin alright. I try scanning… Oh. Apparently I can scan the shrine now, and…

"Her body's-. The rest of her body is in one of the workshops. Her species doesn't really have a funeral tradition-" Because corpses draw predators. "-so there isn't much point returning her body to her homeworld. I…" I exhale sadly. "If we can't get in contact with Lantern Ub'x, I can perform a Hellenistic funeral service? Unless anyone's got a better idea."

A few headshakes, and Lightray hands the book to me. "We should tell the Shadow Champions about Lyssa Drak…" He turns to Vykin. "Unless you know where Minfinity Man sent her? "

Vykin looks slightly awkward. "I do not." He looks at the others but they don't appear to have a better idea.

"Is this..? It?" We all look at Dreamer. "We don't have any other leads on Ub'x, and Peldak is dead. We don't know where her ring is… I am glad that we have got back the closeness that we had before.. Apokolips, but we have not won."

Ring, map.

Compliance.

"No, but…" Moonrider looks at me. "We could deal with the corrupted Infinity Man ourselves. Or get Prince Drax into a position where he could."

Warning: fear detected.

Oh heck.

"Excuse me!"

I run down the hermitage corridor, take a left, down a flight of stairs and there's a door until I crumble it-.

I see the station where Ms. Drak assembled her book, spare pages and pots of glue and ink in their compartments on her desk. I see the mortal remains of Lantern Peldak, along with the syringes and flensing knives used to extract the parts of her body that Ms. Drak used. I see a.. strange… Apparatus, connected to runic sigils in the talokite style which are doing… Something, relating to the glowing yellow ring sitting in a cradle in the apparatus.

A yellow power ring.

I form a construct gauntlet around my right hand and grab it, shoving it into one of my equipment pouches.

Does… Make my deal with Weaponer Lysis a bit redundant, but never look a gift horse in the mouth. That's red, orange, yellow, green, blue and violet. Could really do with an-

B'dg flies in after me.

-indigo, but there… May be a way around that.

He looks at the remains. "That her?"

"Yes."

"Shame. She seemed like a real go-getter."

"I thought you'd been ordered to bring the Indigos in?"

"Doesn't mean I think she was a bad person. And the order didn't even say they were shutting them down. They're just being careful about power ring proliferation." He looks at the machine. "So, ah… Any idea what it does?"

I try… Making sense of the runes. Oh… Kay… I think that part matches… Part of John's…

Channelling fear from the Shadowlands into the apparatus. But the whole… Thing, looks a lot more simple than what Weaponer Lysis was using. Qwardians are about as advanced as a people have to be in order to try making power rings, and the talokites aren't as advanced as them. They shouldn't be able to make new rings…

I crouch down, pretending to take a closer look at the design while slipping my ring hand into the pouch with the ring.

Carefully, I touch the inside with the tip of my middle finger.

Ring?

Tor lorek san, bor nakka mur,
    Sinestro faan tornek wot ur.

Ah.

I remove my hand. That explains where Peldak's ring went. Yes, okay, indigo somehow uses other colours, so they infused another colour into it, and… Got an actual yellow ring out of it. I think?

"I'm going to need to get a Controller to take a look at this."

"This Sector has Green Lanterns. I'm pretty sure we have jurisdiction."

"Well, yes, but do you think that you can get a Guardian to personally look at this… Set up?"

"Probably not."

"N.E.M.O. has a Shadow Champion and a surfeit of maltusians, we're happy to share our findings and one of the local Green Lanterns used his power ring to escape a mental institution."

"When you put it that way…"

I stand, and… As much as Greek custom says that I should take the body and skin at once, I think Lord Hades will understand if I wait for the police investigation to be completed.

And then…

Then I think it will be time to return to Earth.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

How many New Gods know that Paul can sort of use Godspeech?

That should say 'Infinity'.

That should say "John's".

That's unfortunate. Although Paul has a yellow ring with limited charge, he doesn't have an indigo ring, unless he can somehow use the pieces he gave to the Controllers.

Just to confirm, are they going to go with the Forever People taking control of Infinity Man instead of using all seven colors of the Emotional Spectrum?

26. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Not sure what way around the lack of an Indigo that Paul thinks he may have. Nothing comes to my mind.

27. Mr Zoat

Not that many.
    No, that's correct. Mini-Infinity Man.
    Thank you, corrected.

28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, yes, OL's been just itching to get his Rings back online, hasn't he? I see it wasn't too hard to work out how to get out, given the time taken. Pity it looks like this whole shebang has been a washout for him.

Ha! Looks like OL was 'speaking' loudly enough for them to pick up the pseudo-godspeech.

If he went through anything like OL did, I suspect he'll be very willing to agree to that.

Thankfully, his physiology isn't anything too complex.

True, Purple Healing Rays tend to be tuned to humans first, then human-like forms second. I don't think B'dg wants to risk being turned into a tiny human. :p

On the upside, Lyssa will be somewhat hampered without her book. On the downside, it means she'll probably have to start over...

...So what happens to those who die in the cities of her people? I assume there's some system for picking them up without people fainting too many times. Bet the teams who do it are considered a little creepy by the normals.

I suppose that's kind of a win, at least for them. Though their ability to call Drax is still unavailable while Infinity/Finality Man is corrupted...

...Possible. Assuming the one on Earth isn't too corrupted, they might be able to god-mode hack it...

...Oh, right, Lyssa Drak was studying fear...

Why take the time to open it when you're in that big a hurry?

Nice! Boss Loot! And an Epic item at that!

Hey, don't be a Loot Ninja, OL. :eek: This party is 'Need or Greed'!

Ah. Right. I suspect he'd feel obliged to confiscate it in the name of public safety.

What's left of Peldak, yes. Not sure how much use she'll be now...

Relatively speaking. I suppose trying to give one of the meaner species in the sector a bloody eye earned his respect...

Ah. The Guardians don't want Power Rings out there unless they're holding the reins. Because the alternative is a War of Light, followed by a Blackest Night...

On the other hands, the Weaponers favour science and technology. This setup is purely mystical... And magic can cover a lot of ground Science can't without a lot of buildup.

Careful, OL. Who knows what sort of boobytraps it has...

...Ah. I'm betting this is Peldak's Rijng, retinted in the same way Alan's was: By overloading the capacitors with an alternate part of the Spectrum.

The only problem is, even with some beginner hacking of the software, it's still set up with Indigo Tribesman code. Which appears to be very hard to crack.

Well, you get to argue it out with the Controllers, then.

Probably very busy being... All mysterious and stern...

Yes, not the best showcase for the Greenies.

Let me guess: Planning a little Ring-hacking of your own?

Well, OL kind of got what he wanted: One formerly Indigo Power Ring. Though by lacking the Staff, it's not going to be much use to him. And the Guardians and Controllers get a look at some rather quirky arcane technology. About the only ones who came out of this with a clear win were the Forever People, who got to work through some of their troubles and find their teamwork again.

I'm glad that we have got back the closeness that we had before..
    "We could deal with the corrupted Infinity Man ourselves.

29. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘flight’?

How did Lyssa Drak kill Peldak? I got the impression that she made the book with Peldak’s sacrifice, and I thought she doesn’t have inherent powers, so what am I missing that made her strong enough to beat Peldak? I guess Peldak was really weak, and Drak probably had some magic without the book.

30. B00ki5h

B00ki5h Verified: Oddball, Lurker, and Dabbler

To be compassionate, you must be empathetic the true power behind the indigos is empathy They can then channel that into a different light color.