1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DeathReaperZ

DeathReaperZ In the Void.

Is that really a smart idea? I understand that it's possibly quicker and that they're on a time crunch, but it's still way too risky.
    And Paul understands how to do something that others take weeks if not months to do in mere minutes.
    Magic-sense of some sort perhaps?
    Ow.
    That he'd never be able to rock that cowboy hat as well as a real cowboy.
    Thanks for the post.

Chojin Patriarch and Ardy like this.
  2. DeathReaperZ

He should probably add more shock absorbing materials to make sure he doesn't break anything again.
    Surprise?
    Huh, is it due to his connection to the orange light or something else?
    I really like how creative you've written Vykin to be with his powers in the last few posts, magnetokinesis is a very versatile power.
    Thanks for the post.

Ardy likes this.
  3. DeathReaperZ

That was quite wholesome.
    Yes, Paul, morally.

That's nice. I'm assuming "huggle" is a "hug-huddle"?
    Wonder what that means.
    Things in Shadowland don't have shadows? Who would've thought?
    Oof.
    Thanks for the post.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I've decided to regularise the word. It's not hypocrisy when I do it.
    Thank you, corrected.

5. Threadmarks: Prep Time (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

15th February 2013
    17:59 GMT -5

"You got anything to eat that's not gift shop-?"

I deposit a nutritious bowl of stew on the tiny table in his 'bunker', along with a spoon. He grabs the bowl-.

"With the spoon. And eat slowly; you're not starving yet but your stomach probably isn't used to normal food."

"Right." He pushes the edge of the spoon through a piece of beef and scoops it up with a dash of gravy. "Yeah."

"So." He looks fairly alert as he chews, but he keeps it in his mouth longer than simple refuelling would require. "What happened at S.T.A.R. Philadelphia?"

"When the..? Anti-Life hit?" I nod. "Everyone freaked out. I kept-. I mean, we don't get trained for that exact thing, but I've been attacked telepathically before. I got to the senior researcher, snapped her out of it, and we started up lockdown procedures. I was… At the time, I assumed that it was a limited attack against S.T.A.R. Philadelphia rather than..."

He takes another small scoop and stares at it morosely for a moment.

"Guess we all got used to the Justice League just.. fixing stuff. I mean, right away."

"The Sheeda rather demonstrated that it doesn't just happen."

"We were still looking into how we needed to change after the Sheeda." He hiss-laughs with feigned humour. "In case you're wondering, 'increase organizational resources available to non-League superheroes' was on the list."

"And I'd have agreed with it. But please, I need to know-."

He shakes his head. "We didn't-. Nothing much happened for about… Three hours? Most of the staff were… Kind of functioning by then. I thought they were shaking off the attack. Heh."

"Were they?"

He stares into my eyes. "You know the Anti-Life doesn't work like that. You don't overcome it. You either learn to live with the feeling or you get-. Pulled under by it."

"And your… Regulator?"

"I can't get pulled under. That's all. It doesn't make it go away. And every time I nearly…" He shudders. "It's pretty obvious I got the beta test version."

"It's not common issue to S.H.A.D.E. agents?"

"I don't think I'm technically a S.H.A.D.E. agent… It says 'N.S.A.' on my badge.." He shakes his head and takes another scoop. "Doesn't matter. Anyway. Three hours. After the first hour I started making calls. Didn't get an intelligent response from anywhere. The next step was to arrange a transfer to a vault, but I didn't know how possible that was. With everything that was going on…"

I nod. "A reasonable decision, under the circumstances."

"Yeah. So, a couple of superheroes turned up. We were in lockdown, so even with them being on the authorised list they weren't allowed in. Shouldn't have been allowed in." He shakes his head again. "People inside opened the doors. Head of Research removed the lockdown."

"It didn't require your authorisation?"

"That's S.H.A.D.E. for you. We don't have a lot of official power, but people listen to us because we know what we're talking about. But my name wasn't on the list of required authorizations." He shakes his head. "You've seen what they're like. A word from someone… Higher up the Anti-Life chain, and they just do it. I don't-."

He takes another scoop of stew.

"Don't what?"

"America. Americans. I always figured that we'd do better if something like this happened. More independent, more independently minded than other people. Less prone to groupthink. So are we?"

"Not so you'd notice, though that might be because Mannheim is focusing on America. Thanks to Teth Adom, Kahndaq's probably doing the best. What happened after the researchers let the Justifiers in?"

"What do you think happened? Security was working for them. The scientists were working for them. My regulator kept me out of it… Don't know why they didn't kill me. I grabbed that gun and… Fled. Couldn't secure any of the artefacts. As… Far as I know they're all still there."

"Are they secure?"

He shakes his head. "They've got the run of the place. And that was more than a month ago. I don't… I've stuck my head out a few times, but the place is locked down by… Justifiers, you call them?"

"The ones with the helmets. It transmits Anti-Life signals right into their heads, like one-person transmitters. While it's on, you can't talk them around. The Justice League's been destroying the factories where they make them, but removing them in a fight isn't a simple matter."

He nods.

"So is the equipment still on-site?"

"As far as I know. But it's not like I can keep the place under constant watch. For all I know they've moved the equipment all around the country by now."

I nod. "We'll still have to check. Is there a secret way in?"

"The aim of a good security procedure is to stop people sneaking in. Best I can do…" He gets up and rummages around in a briefcase. "Here." He turns back with a couple of lanyards. "These are security passes. Assuming that they haven't gone through the whole system with a fine toothed comb they should still let you in. You'll still have to come up with something for human security yourself, but that'll handle the automated systems."

I take them from him and hand one to Tuppence.

"Thank you. Are they just carrying on their work?"

He shakes his head, picking up the stew again. "I don't know. They knew my face, so I couldn't risk getting back inside."

"Any particularly notable objects I should know about?"

"There were a couple of Sheeda weapons. This isn't the main site for Sheeda equipment, but there was so much that some things ended up here. Ah… Some samples of Scarecrow's fear toxins and… Drug-related things. Sorry, I only… I don't remember everything."

"That's fine, we'll make do. Do you need anything else?"

He shakes his head. "No. And there's nothing else I can do in Philadelphia anyway. If you're going to take care of S.T.A.R., then I think I'll try getting to Fawcett. Or away from the cities, anyway."

"That's probably a good plan. But don't risk yourself unnecessarily. I'm planning to have this resolved in a couple of weeks, and as long as you've got potable water you can survive that long in here."

"Yeah, I don't like the idea of hanging around and waiting for someone else to take care of things. It's un-American. Even if all I can actually do is get myself out of the way, I'll take that over sitting on my ass."

I nod. "I can respect that. Best of luck to you. Tuppence, we've got an infiltration to plan."

Last edited: Aug 6, 2023
  6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'used'.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"While it's on"

Maybe they thought you weren't worth it, or thought letting you live in despair knowing you can't do anything was a suitable fate.

"portable water"

8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Sorry, LePaul had to run off into space to help fight a war instead of staying around and freeing the most important planet in the universe from the Anti-Life.

Cool10007 likes this.
  9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

'Potable water' is correct, as it means water that's safe to drink.

10. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Probably a good option, given how long it's been since he's had what his body consider real food. Honestly, something more drinkable might have been good, but if he wolfs it down too fast, it'll go to waste when his gut decides it's too much... So a chunky soup might be best.

Small bites, remember. Your stomach will thank you... And probably your intestines too, later. :oops:

Easy assumption to make. All that high-tech and exotic stuff in one place? Star Labs sites do seem to look like pinata to supervillains.

Ah, the old 'complacent bystander' instinct of Superhero universes in play. 'Oh, it'll be fine. A superhero'll turn up soon.'

Preferably well-vetted ones, I hope. After all, surely it's easy to change costumes and stage a few 'rescues' to pose as a hero to get into places like this.

More likely internalising and accepting the 'lessons' of the Anti-Life. Turncoats in your midst and you didn't even realise.

...Unless you have a metaphorical life-preserver to help keep you afloat. Like Enlightenment.

So it's not 100% effective, then. He's slowly sliding down into the abyss, even as the figurative crampons of the regulator hold him in place.

By that point, the secure vaults would have been corrupted too.

Not even necessarily following Anti-Life orders. After all, in this universe, seeing a person in a colourful costume is likely to invoke the same relief as seeing a police officer or firefighter. ...Depending on the colours, anyway...

So he was stuck more as an observer and junior staff manager...

Give him a moment, OL. Surely this is dredging up bad memories.

Honestly? Americans seem more inclined to follow a charismatic person with a nice suit and a friendly smile... Just look at people like Maxwell Lord or Lex Luthor.

It's likely they had no orders concerning those not affected. Or they assumed you'd succumb eventually.

Especially depending on how personal-space-invasive the connections are.

...OL, he just said he hasn't been inside in a month. I doubt the secure areas are visible through the windows. :rolleyes:

See? And while keeping it where it was is easy, it's not necessarily what Mannheim would want. Perhaps he wants to hang the strange stuff on the walls of his throne room.

Chance of them actually working... Next to none, then.

Again with the question you already know the answer to.

Best not to ask directly about the Mask, even if Carlyle isn't likely to talk if captured.

...Out of curiosity, how's he been managing the other end of the digestive process? I doubt the Museum's facilities are working, so... :confused:

A crate of water bottles and military rations might make a fine parting gift, perhaps.

Of course, trying to leave makes it more likely he'll get captured. Especially if OL stirs the hornet's nest.

All right, OL's got a way in to STAR Labs. I don't fancy the chances of making it actually work, but at least he's well-equipped enough to go loud if needed. So, he gets inside, checks whether or not the Mask is still there, swipes it if present and gets out. Hopefully without leaving a trail of destruction that will make it clear what he was there for. Easy-peasy. :sneaky:

He hiss-laughs with feigned humour.
    Shouldn't have been allowed in."
    "America. Americans.

11. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Potable water.

'Potable' from the Latin potare, which translates to "to drink".

12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

13. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’un-American’?

14. DeathReaperZ

I wonder if Paul's pseudo-Godspeech is similar to his actual voice or not.
    I guess the absence of Lyssa Drak lets his ring scan it?
    Interesting that he has an accent despite his ring's translation. Unless he should have an accent according to the ring.
    Mini-Infinity Man? Isn't that a bit disrespectful?
    Sneaky Paul.
    You can probably chalk it up to them using Shadowlands magic along with some arcane tech.
    What's the translation for this?
    Could the Yellow infusion be reversed somehow?
    Wonder what they think about a "mortal" being able to somewhat use Godspeech.
    Speaking of Godspeech, how do you always manage to find it? I doubt you always have the entire text of the post selected or highlighted
    Assuming they just don't use robots.
    Thanks for the post.

Xmaster3000 and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  15. DeathReaperZ

That must get annoying at times.
    Uh oh.

Thanks for the post, it's been a while since we've seen Grayven.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Xmaster3000 like this.
  16. DeathReaperZ

You're welcome.
    Well, it might be better to tell people like Batman, for example, so that he can prepare.
    You should play Skyrim too some day. Although, a Morrowind crossover would work as well.
    "Oobix" might work, although they could probably use their teeth to produce the [click] in "Ub-[click]".
    Yep, just as I thought. Thanks for the reminder.
    Heh.

Ardy, Mr Zoat and Xmaster3000 like this.
  17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I have a user script installed in my browser that shows invisitext (That is, text set to colour 'Transparent') in a black mouse-over box when reading. It effectively makes it's presence known but leaves it optional to read.

'Xenforo Invisitext Handler' is a typical name for them, if you want to look it up, though how to install it varies by browser. Not sure if it even works on a mobile phone, though.

18. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Prepare for what, and how, exactly? Most of the things that trip or fuck them over are things that the Illustres doesn't know if they exist in this universe and as such has to verify them. He can't just tell them about Infinite Crisis when that doesn't seem to apply, or Jason Todd's death, the guy isn't even Robin; so why come out and say "yeah, where I come from you guys are characters in comic books"? I disagree with SIs that do that kind of stuff.

If needed, he usually provides information if a situation appears similar to something that he knows and that he can corroborate. And I believe he also told Controller Hinon when she specifically asked for how he knew stuff, for example, so I don't see the need to just tell anyone.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Let me know when they fix the bugs.
    Well, flying would be legal. That's nice. But I don't know what Daedra the SI would have to make a deal with to keep his ring, and there aren't really enough medium scale enemies to occupy him. This is a game that regular characters can complete in under three minutes.

20. DeathReaperZ

Thanks for the post.

21. DeathReaperZ

Did Infinity Man send her to wherever the base of operations for the Yellow Lantern corps is, or to Lysis?
    Heh.

Thanks for the post.

Ardy likes this.
  22. DeathReaperZ

Speaking of which, does Paul wear it on his left hand because he's left-handed, or is it a more refined way of wearing a ring?
    Short answer: Yes.
    Who?

Thanks for the post.

23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

If I remember correctly, he puts it on his left hand with the sigil facing inwards so that it won't be too obvious to those who aren't aware of who he is that he's wearing a power ring.

Ardy likes this.
  24. DeathReaperZ

That won't end well for anybody on the receiving end of Batman's wrath.
    Do you have a picture? I can visualize it, but I'm not sure if it's what you're describing.
    "Access denied. Access denied"
    Oh? He's enlightened too?
    Lmao. Crag probably thought Paul did this intentionally, little does he know that it was just another average Tuesday for Paul .
    He's either confused at what seems to be a friendly gesture for some reason, or that Paul just threatened him.
    I doubt he even shows up as a human any more, probably more like a "snake man" or something.
    Thanks for the post.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  25. DeathReaperZ

Huh.
    While I do agree that he probably shouldn't tell anybody willy-nilly, he should still probably give some information about possible threats in this universe.
    There is a mod for that which fixes almost every bug in the game. Although if you want Bethesda to fix it, you're better off playing Morrowind.
    It would be fun for a post or two nonetheless.
    While I do know that he has the sigil face inwards to obscure the fact that's he wearing a power ring, I wanted to know why he wears it on his left hand. And besides, who on earth is going to wear armour with the sigil of the Orange Lantern Corps and not have a ring?
    Thanks for the post.

Ngamer11 likes this.
  26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I believe he puts it on his non dominant hand so that if he were to instinctively grab something and someone reacts by incapacitating/dismembering his hand, his ring hand would stay uninjured/attached.

Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  27. DeathReaperZ

I find the inevitability of oblivion quite peaceful, actually, assuming some kind of afterlife doesn't exist.
    Natu would most likely look at him weirdly if the latter did show up.
    Since the last time, the ring said, "Zon Nar" was in reference to Lysis attempting to charge the ring without modifying it first and the word "Zon" was repeated here, I'm going to assume that "Zon" means "Access" and so "Zon Nar" most likely means "Access denied" and "Zon tak" means "Accessing fear", which would make sense seeing that the ring most likely still operates on Indigo Tribe code.
    Just because he's a bad guy, doesn't mean he's a bad guy.

Chojin Patriarch and Xmaster3000 like this.
  28. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Should probably be 'at the start' here.

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Nam-Ek.
    They've had years. If they can't be bothered to even pay the fans for fixes they've already made, I can't be bothered to buy it.
    It would probably be a few posts of him wandering around with no idea what's going on, then running out of ring power and doing a normal blind Morrowind run. If he actually remembered Morrowind, he'd fly to Dagoth Ur and assimilate the Heart of Lorkhan. After that, play preblivion while trying to fix the Empire?
    Just to be different, really. Green Lanterns wear them on the right.
    Thank you, corrected.

Cuchulin, Ngamer11, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I professes extreme doubt in concerns to his ability to actually do that.

Cuchulin likes this.