1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Priests being able to use low powered spells was after my edition, and as such will not be included. If they want magic they can learn to use the WInds of Magic properly.

2. Patrick Holt

Patrick Holt Getting sticky.

Did Mr. Zoat ever explain how Paol is resistant to magic here? If magic is produced by winds from the polar gates, (again I barely understand how Warhammer works) shouldn't he be contently drunk? Has he just become a functioning alcoholic? Or did the dark elf give him some protection?

Can anyone point me to the first few posts of the Warhammer side story?

3. Mr Zoat

Basically, the ring powers itself using the winds. He'd only have a problem if he tried hanging around the poles without using power.
    This one, I think?

4. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Probably the pre-Fall Eldar shtick - eternal reincarnation retaining your memories.

Cuchulin and Tzeentch like this.
  5. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Should we also use those rare mortals, like Sigmar, who manage to acquire divinity somewhat as an additional example, able to exist in the Aethyr on their own without being consumed by daemons?

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

In addition to what's already been said, it's anointed with every bodily fluid and excretion available.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

, instead of ; (or maybe : if you prefer that)

8. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

No they can't.

The Jade Casket just animates the corpse for a couple hours.

And Apotheosis just restores health to the living, it doesn't bring someone back from the dead.

Tzeentch likes this.
  10. Tzeentch

Well, regardless, as the citizenry of Nehekhara are bound in soul to their bodies and Paol can do most of the work in restoring their bodies, it seems reasonable that Jade Casket and Apotheosis would be able to finish the job.

Continuing one of my previous trains of thought, it's somewhat amusing to think that despite having a potentially great source of Ghyran or Earthbound Magic to experiment with on hand the whole time for hundreds of years in the form of the Great Vitae River, (at least before Nagash polluted it, turning it into the Great Mortis River), that could have provided a HUGE boost in their researching physical immortality, the Liche Priests undoubtedly focused only on Shyish and Hysh, (in addition to the blessings granted by their gods), to provide healing magics and the workings which once bestowed incredible longevity on the Nehekharan people.

Perhaps they assumed the Jade Wind was only useful for matters concerning agriculture and water, rather than ALL of physical life in it's entirety?

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  11. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

My understanding is that he continues to have forgotten the details of the specific version of whatever reality he is in. So any information he ahs on vampires is either what he knows from other editions or personal inquiry.

Vorian, moralrelativity and Ardy like this.
  12. Tzeentch

In regards to the Warhammer 40k questline, given how much information Paul has given the T'au regarding each faction, I wonder how unnerving it might for Imperials when a Water Caste is able to understand their mannerisms, idioms and sarcasm better than expected.

Hell, the T'au becoming just as genre savvy as Paul is due to his influence would pretty much unnerve anyone.

ETHEREAL: Asuryani Aeldari are attacking? Oh, for the love of- this isn't one of their precious "Maiden Worlds", and I fail to see how we threaten any of the Craftworlds just by being here! Is it Biel-Tan? This seems like something the Biel-Tan would do.

On a different, though related note, if The Leagues of Votann turn out to be a thing, I look forward to Paul finding out about their faction, given his preconceived notions regards to "Squats" thanks to previous editions.

Cuchulin likes this.
  13. Threadmarks: Wait Time (part 19)
    Mr Zoat

17th February 2013
    16:36 GMT

The clay man with the unusually large head and eyes nods slowly.

"Yes, they came here. They purchased a few drops of divine blood from me."

I nod. "What sort of things can that be used for?"

As far as I can tell the majority of his body is made of unfired clay, with fired plates positioned like armour on his larger surfaces. His body is blockier and squarer in proportions than a living human, as if he was some sort of prototype for humans when our shared creator didn't quite know what he was going for.

"It is a powerful way to invoke the power or presence of that god. It has uses in any one of a million magics."

He gestures to a table of alchemical equipment with a sweeping gesture of his right arm, small cracks visible at the joints. The cracks are emphasised in several places by the fact that they're bleeding.

Cernunnos frowns at it.

"These are just a few of the ones I know."

Kon nods. "Did they say which ones they wanted it for?"

The clay man looks at the panther for a moment before returning his attention to us. Yes, he's only talking to us because Bast has okayed it, but I doubt that he's more loyal to one customer than he is to himself.

"Travel. A god of travellers."

"Which god?"

The clay man shakes his head. "An old, forgotten god, nearly faded from existence, little more than a bundle of ideas. Active gods are not so easy to take things from."

"Ghoulish."

"It's an existence."

"Were there any other elves around? White skin, riding insects?"

"Not that I saw." The clay man brings his right hand to his chin in the classical thinker pose. "Though I do remember seeing some large beetles in the area. I didn't think anything of it at the time. Beetle-themes are common amongst Kahndaqi gods, so it may be nothing."

It may have been, if several other interviewees hadn't mentioned it as well, while other merchants who we spoke to didn't.

"Thank you. I believe that's everything we need. Is there anything that we can do to repay you for your help?"

"Oh." He sounds surprised. "I thought that I was answering you under threat of expulsion."

"You are, but I might want to come back here at some point and I'd rather have better relations with people."

"That is wise. There is one thing I would like from you."

"Yes?"

"I am pursuing a project of self-improvement. I believe that your patron's blood would add colour to my life. I ask only for a small amount, and it will be purely for personal use."

"I don't know how to get blood from the Ophidian. But if you'll draw a contract with a personal use limitation you can have a few drops of mine."

"You are not a font of primordial power."

I reach inside and feel the lines and flows. Shapes corresponding to the tattoos on my body and to the power they were designed to evoke appear on my outer surface. And some I don't remember getting or can't identify. That's… I suppose that's working as intended, but it might be worth getting a check-up once this is over anyway.

The clay man's eyes widen further "Oh."

"Acceptable?"

He nods. "I will write the contract and seal it with appropriate blood." He walks over to his counter and takes up a piece of parchment and… He squeezes his right forefinger into a point, the very tip extruding blood as a pen extrudes ink.

I let my tattoos fade as his finger scratches out the terms and conditions. Kon walks over to me with a frown on his face.

"Giving someone your blood?"

"Not a good idea generally, but the contract will be bound with both our blood. The penalties for using it outside the agreed terms will be nasty."

The clay man nods. "My reserves boiling and baking my core from within?"

"I was thinking more along the lines of your reserves denaturing."

"How merciful." He scratches some more, then jabs his finger. "There." He walks over with the contract, and… Yes, plain language, and a quick ring analysis suggests that there isn't anything I'm missing other than the lack of an obvious explanation as to what the personal use is.

But that's his business. I open my snake-mouth and extend my fangs, then raise my right hand and prick the end of my middle finger. One spot of blood goes in the indicated spot on the contract, and-

"Here." He points to his forehead, the hard brow plate merging with the rest of his soft head clay.

I nod and reach out, resting my finger in a shallow divot on his forehead for a moment before pulling it away. The red-orange of my blood marks the centre point for a moment before the clay oozes up to envelop it.

"Aah. Thank you." His eyes shine a weak orange. "You are welcome to return to my shop again. I wish you the best of fortune with your elf-hunt."

"Thank you." I nod, and then lead the way out of the shop.

We convene in a huddle outside.

"Beetles. Cluracan said his sister was taken by insects, and insects were following them."

Kon and I nod.

"Who around here keeps track of insects?"

"They're probably Khepri's thing, and…" Some parts of Ancient Kahndaqi mythology are a little… Confused. "He and Atum are… Related, somehow, and so he'll probably speak to me."

"What about the god-blood? The blood of a god of travellers could be used to access places and bypass guards, but I don't think there's anything particularly terrible it could be used for."

"I'm sure that Mannheim's come up with something. There are all sorts of places we don't want him to get."

Kon nods. "Like the Tower of Fate?"

"Among other places. Ms. Panther, where is Atum's court?"

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
  14. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

So are we gonna see an avarice golem in the future what would that even look like?

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  15. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I think the speech should be bolded.
    What does Cernunnos mean by this? He’s looking at a table of alchemy stuff, is he saying that the alchemy stuff only represents a few of the possible uses he knows for divine blood?
    ’Kahndaqi’?

I liked the clay man. Cool dude. I wonder if the bleeding is aesthetic or if he needs to replenish his reserves.

16. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think that's the golem talking and Cernunnos is just frowning for some reason?

Cuchulin, Ardy, Mr Zoat and 2 others like this.
  17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, a golem of some kind. Or something much like one, since humans aren't always forged perfectly first time in many creation myths. And I can't help but picture them as some sort of mudman lookalike. Or someone wearing a simple prosopon.

Or perhaps they waked out of a dream of fiction. :D Getting definite Discworld vibes from that description now.

That seems annoying. I assume the ooze is reabsorbed via contact or proximity.

What, oh horned one? Feeling a little uncomfortable? Not every hunt is a wild ride through the woods with your friends, your hounds and a keg of ale.

And they're unwilling to incriminate themself in something illegal, of course.

Okay. No doubt looking for some manner of guarantee of safe journeys or passage, then. That tends to be a common theme amongst the worship of such deities.

But ultimately efficient. The circle of life, and all that. For deities, anyway.

Hmm... I expect the Sheeda would have stood out, if they'd been allowing themselves to be seen. Stealth might not have been an option, though.

Scarabs in particular. Though many insects can play parts in myths.

...I mean, that could still be out there as a threat. It's not like they have a say in whether Bast lets you stay. Beyond 'they did help.'

...There's always a catch, isn't there? Maybe OL should have added 'within limits' to his offer.

Honestly not unexpected. I doubt their soul is as complex as a fully-developed human's, and the colours probably shine much less brighter in it.

Not yet. But he's been exposed to some interesting metaphysical essences.

...Okay, new patterns definitely sounds like a cause for concern, OL. Especially if any of them are Anti-Life-related.

Useful trick. Saves on feather nibs, at least.

Yes, it does seem a bit foolhardy, OL. No matter how much they claim it's for 'personal use', there's bound to be someone willing to commit atrocities to get a bit of someone like you.

Doesn't really sound that permanent for you, really. Work a bit of water back in and you might revive comfortably.

Gee, how convenient. You really sure about this, OL?

A significant location in golem mythology. For instance, in Abrahamic golems, that's usually where the animating magic is centred, typically on a tablet, scroll or other written object within the skull or mouth. Or the location of the Brow chakra point is such systems, the 'third eye'.

So now their desires burn brightly. Wonder if that'll include seeking out the blood of other Spectrum-empowered beings to even out the influences.

Still not conclusive evidence pointing to any particular culprit, but the Sheeda are still front-runners.

The joy of myths evolving over some five thousand-odd years. (Five at the minimum, as some myths may predate even Kahndaq.)

Like just about anywhere that's a sanctuary for his opponents. Presumably the Narrative has rules about how he can break into such places, and when he can't.

:confused: ...The panther's female? Well, I suppose without close examination of their undercarriage, it'd be hard to be sure...

So, off to one of the older dieties of the great river's nations. Things are about to get especially esoteric, given the sheer primordial nature of such a being. I suppose he's most likely to have an in with Khepri, then. ...Things really are confusing about mythology that old. Wonder how the other teams are doing on their ends, though? Even if their jobs are probably much less exotic than OL's team.

18. PepeTheFrog

PepeTheFrog Not too sore, are you?

Is the foul fate for the one eating the unicorn or the unicorn itself?

Cuchulin likes this.
  19. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Golem man now has desires. And lacks the other colours for balance.

Also, I am confused: are they in a section of the Dream still?

Cuchulin, Istaran and FeepingCreature like this.
  20. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Gonna try to corrupt the Source?
    Or gonna try to corrupt the orange light?

21. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

They're in a section of the divine realm of the Ennead, the Egyptian/Kahndaqi Gods. Can't recall the name that Cernunnos mentioned this place is called, but it's essentially the city of Bast/Sekhmet.

22. Mr Zoat

Ah, no. That's not Cernunnos speaking. That's the proto-man. Cernunnos just isn't comfortable with people using a god's blood as a reagent.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Autumn Willow was describing the act of eating a unicorn as foul.

No one's managed to work out who the shopkeeper is. Perhaps I should have included a link.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not necessarily.

This place has all sorts of weird looking individuals, so the Sheeda may not have been that special.

And they may predate them by like tens of thousands of years.

Overly Sarcastic Productions had a video where they explain how two stars drifted close together and can't be distinguished as two separate ones with the naked eye, but were once able to be seen as separate.

That was a 100.000 years ago.

The myths surrounding the constellation in which these stars belong states that one of the stars went missing or is dead.

A piece of knowledge from a 100.000 years ago was able to make it into relatively recent myths.

Themyscira and potentially Olympus.

The Olympians are a very powerful pantheon and have access to Titans.

Also the Khandaqi gods since Adom is opposing him and he may not be able to enter their realm.

Cuchulin, Chojin Patriarch and Ardy like this.
  24. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

You really gotta wonder some times wtf humans got up to in the ten million years since physically modern humans appeared...

25. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

Huh, I didn't realize he was a established character. My guess would be Golem from Primal Force, but I don't think it really fits.

26. Mr Zoat

It's an established character from mythology. I don't think they've ever been in DC.

Chojin Patriarch, Bud-E, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  27. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well if Khepri is showing up, I’m gonna guess it’s Weld’s muddy cousin or something.

and they said a worm crossover would never work

Cuchulin and Zig like this.
  28. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

I've been doing research off and on when I can today, but there are just so many man out of clay myths I just can't narrow it down.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  29. Threadmarks: War Mastered (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

4th Sigmarzeit 2512
    Late Morning

"…revolver design doesn't jam, but the automatic and semi-automatic pistol are more popular due to the greater magazine size."

I'm not a gun expert or an American, but I've been able to dredge up enough about gun design to interest a small number of engineers and the Imperial Gunnery School in Nuln. From above I could still make out the damage caused during the attack by the Chaos Lord Tamurkhan two years ago. I've also seen that they've made fairly significant efforts to improve public health, because they know perfectly well that Nurgle doesn't lose just because his war leader dies. Every germ in the world will be his herald and champion given the chance, and Elector Countess Emmanuelle von Liebwitz did not want to lose the peace.

"The great advantage of the cartridge design is that the time-consuming business of loading powder and shot are handled well before the battle starts, leaving the soldier with the simple job of removing one twelve-shot magazine and inserting another one." I have the construct demonstrate, though I can only remember roughly what it looks like myself. Not a lot of guns in suburban Britain. "Even having to slot in individual rounds in a revolver is far faster than using a powder horn."

My audience has grown from the small number of relatively junior engineers who came to listen mostly as an excuse to bunk off work to a larger group including a few more senior men. And they're actually listening rather than just scoffing.

"Now, for long arms, this is the most popular option just about everywhere."

An image of the AK-47 floats at the front of the lecture hall. Thanks to Jeremy Clarkson I do actually know a little about how this one works, though I've never personally seen one.

"Thirty round magazine, and there's a switch on the side to change from single shot to full automatic. The recoil from one shot resets the mechanism to the ready position and ejects the rear part of the round to clear the barrel. Anyone here left handed?"

A slight hesitation, then a couple of left hands go up.

"Do you see the problem?"

"Heh."

One of the senior engineers nods, smiling to himself.

I nod to him. "The problem with the ejection system is that while it throws the spent cartridge free if you're right handed, if you're left handed it ejects it right into your eye."

The sinister members of the audience smile awkwardly.

"Which isn't great, but the aim when they made this was to make it as mechanically simply as possible. A variable ejection mechanism would have been too complicated. Now, as for larger guns-"

I generate an image of a field gun from… World War Two, I think?

"-you can see similar principles maintained. The shells are made in a factory so that the crew can load and fire them faster. The gun has a mechanism for absorbing the recoil, and there are hand cranks for altering the angle and elevation built into the mechanism. Note also the armoured shield for the crew to duck behind and the spades anchoring the gun in place."

A senior engineer points at the image. "What are those wheels?"

"While thin wheels allow better speed over cobble stones, fat wheels of hardened rubber prevent the gun sinking in the mud while also letting them grip uneven ground better."

He frowns. "Rubber?"

I take a rubber ball I acquired in Lustria out of subspace and toss it to him. He reaches out to catch it, then starts in surprise as it bounces over his hand and into the row behind him.

"It compresses and bounces back. Where I'm from we use those as children's toys."

The junior engineer who fielded it bounces it twice, then notices his senior glaring at him and hands it over.

"Of course, heavier versions of the automatic rifle are also used at shorter ranges."

I don't know machine guns well, but I did see a picture of a Maxim gun at some point so I generate an image of that and add one of a Gatling gun.

"These feed rounds in on a belt, which also carries away spent cases. More advanced versions include a water-based system for cooling the barrel, because continuous firing like this causes it to get extremely hot."

That's nothing they don't know, but they're used to thinking of it in terms of warping the interior of the barrel if a cannon fires for hours, or making the impurities of the metal in the barrel cause an explosive misfire. Not in terms of the barrel setting fire to the people operating it.

I'm really not sure how much of what I'm saying is something that they can put into use. The revolver looks a little like Von Meinkopt's Micro-Mainspring of Multitudinous Precipitation of Pernicious Lead, aka the repeater pistol, but that still needs to have powder and shot loaded each time. But they understand the revolving mechanism. The round on the other hand with bullet and cartridge integrated into a single piece of metal is a genuinely new concept but it's one they can grasp. The British Empire started using the Maxim gun in the… Late nineteenth century? But the Empire isn't that far behind in its more advanced places.

I don't know. Maybe they can make it now, and maybe it's something that they can work towards while I check out whatever steam tanks they've got in the workshops. With a little applied ring power I've dredged up memories of how the early steam engine worked, so assuming that they're at least a little like traction engines I can probably talk the engineers through building them.

The door at the rear of the lecture theatre opens, and a few guards, Richilde and… A woman in her… Middle years wearing an excess of makeup and an open-fronted skirt. A prostitute, presumably, perhaps here to service senior engineers during their lunch break? I'd have thought that they'd pop out for that sort of thing, but perhaps they find the cost of delivery is worth it for the time they save?

Richilde beckons me as the prostitute walks to the edge of the upper deck and looks down at the engineers who… Are frantically muttering to one another, drawing diagrams or playing with my rubber ball. "If you gentlemen will excuse me, urgent business calls. I will be available for the rest of the day should you need me."

I dismiss my constructs and fly up-. She didn't get a local prostitute for me, did she? Or a courtesan? I know… In some places those are held in high regard, but I really-.

"Sir Paolo, may I present Grand Countess Emmanuelle von Liebwitz."

Seriously? Someone as rich as her should be able to pay someone to attach a drawstring to her skirt. Or advise her that a woman her age shouldn’t show that much upper thigh in public. But I float in front of the railing she's leaning against and bow politely.

"Countess. A pleasure to meet you."

And your horribly horribly ill-advised dress.

"A new generation of firearms, Sir Paolo. I was under the impression that the Bretonni considered such weapons dishonourable."

"Knights of the Lady forswear the use of all ranged weapons, my lady. Fortunately, I have taken no such oath. Otherwise I wouldn't-" I wave my left hand. "-be able to fly."

"My engineers seem quite taken with your ideas."

"I don't know if they'll actually help, or if they'll just tear apart their workshops trying to build them."

She looks away, exhaling sharply. "'Tear apart their workshops'? It must be Bezahltag already. No, don't concern yourself with that. Concern yourself with explaining why you expect me to replace my province's entire road network."

"I would be happy to."

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
  30. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Shouldn't this chapter be marked as War Mastered instead of Wait Time? Or are these Pauls doing a crossover this arc?