1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He honestly may not care all that much.

Plus, he may not want to advertise the existence of the Life Entity on Earth since that could attracts more attention from the likes of Darkseid.

He already did it once.

That's assuming the Lasso would even work on Zauriel.

Also, it's assuming that Zauriel knew about the rape.

He may honestly think that it was all consensual, or that there was no sex involved and Gabriel just waved his hand and Mary was pregnant.

Ehh, he might, if only to potentially help clearing up any misconceptions people may have that could lead to religious conflicts.

Prince Charon and KenNM like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

He didn't manage to break it. He just put the dead cat in formaldehyde so that it stopped decaying, then after his father died he set it on fire to destroy it because it was anchoring his father's soul to the world.

Turns out that was a mistake, but it's not like Gemma could read lips.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, but in a post below that one he mentioned that he forgot about Susanoo.

And after Zeus was deposed Billy couldn't turn back into a kid until after Susanoo went to the Wizard and offered his power.

After that Billy could change back easily.

Plus, even if Zeus could still sponsor Billy, why would he do it?

Billy is an ally of the guy that helped overthrow him.

Helping him could put him into the good graces of his new king, but he may be too prideful for that, and Heph never said anything about him needing to sponsor Billy.

When they were still fighting the Anti-Life, Dr. Mist mentioned that Zeus may fight Manheim due to pride, but the Shinto may ally with him.

Not sure why he'd mention that unless one of their own was helping them.

Though I'm sorry but I can't find the page where he said it.

KenNM and Ardy like this.
  4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Ironically Zauriel, and via him the Silver City, are the only one's who would have been actively seen as doing anything.

That's not actually Hellblazers take on it, it's solely Mr Zoat's.

Hellblazers actual take, is that the only thing keeping a Soul in Hell, is their own belief that they don't deserve to be anywhere else. And actual good people, only go to hell if they are dragged there by a demon, or they sold their soul.

KenNM likes this.
  5. HeroineRule34Guy

HeroineRule34Guy Know what you're doing yet?

In this guy's defense, if you're going to sell your soul for a temporary succubus GF, Akeno isn't the worst choice.

6. KenNM

KenNM Actually 23

We have multiple confirmations from several angels during the arc where Paul got killed that Jesus was a nephilim. Zoat’s going with Hellblazer’s take, and it explicitly mentions Gabriel raped Mary, in his own internal narration too

And Zauriel knew about Jesus, I doubt they’d be kept in the dark about it.

Potato, potahto. But, looks like I misspoke

Or, did you mean the Jack Napier thing?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
    Ardy likes this.
  7. Wannareaditdang

Wannareaditdang Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Hey this is kind of random but I just wanted to pop in and say thank you for continuing to write this story (at least I think you are from a quick skim; I didn't look too deep to avoid any potential spoilers but seeing the OP last edited in November 2023 and you posting here gives me good vibes.)

I'm kind of behind but I'm a good chunk of chapters in. Page 26 on the SV site. It's kind of lame how they banned you for an opinion (at least from what it seems, didn't look much into this since it seemed like uninteresting drama); I don't necessarily agree with a lot of your SI's actions but that doesn't stop me from reading the story, as it's still interesting and entertaining. Although, it's kind of frustrating seeing how he approaches romance thus far and how it feels like certain allies disrespect him too much and he just rolls with it... But I can gloss over it because the other stuff is fun.

Anyways I'm rambling so I'll stop and go back to lurking. Thank you again and sorry if I bugged you. :)

8. Threadmarks: Reconstruction (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

26th February 2013
    10:57 GMT -6

Wallace frowns in distaste as we watch the news broadcast of Superman and Lex Luthor shaking hands on his arm computer. Mr. Luthor… Two days ago he appeared from wherever it was that he was hiding, and has been marshalling LexCorp's resources to aid in reconstruction efforts since then. Which means he's actually been back for at least a week, if he was ever completely out of contact. The only plus side is that unlike just about everyone who stayed, he didn’t get any contact with the Life Entity.

"Are we supposed to take that seriously?"

I float a new batch of cars off the road onto the ersatz car park around him

"'There is no profit in the end of the world.'"

I get a small smile from him as he starts opening the doors and… Recovering the people inside.

"What's that quote from?"

"Spider-Man. A guy with the ability to make portals lets one get out of control to the point where it threatens to suck the entire planet through. Once he realises what's happening, the main supervillain of the story stops trying to blackmail him and starts offering him the use of his resources at no cost. When he asks 'why', the supervillain explains by saying 'There is no profit in the end of the world'."

Wallace nods. "I wish real supervillains said stuff like that."

The bodies appear in a line, laying on their back. There's a slight blur in the air as he pauses and takes a picture of their faces to be submitted to Mr Atom's facial recognition system, along with their driving licence if a quick rummage through their possessions located one. Not all that many people decided to die in their cars on major highways, but the shock of the initial Anti-Life broadcast was so intense that a lot of people crashed.

These bodies are mostly intact, deaths coming from the collision itself. There's a pile-up with fire-damaged remains a little way ahead. I study it for a moment, then return my attention to him as he finishes the current batch.

"Are you..? Going to be okay with..?"

He sighs, spotting what I was looking at. "No. But I can-. I can cope. I saw enough people during the Sheeda…" He looks away for a moment. "I've seen it before."

I nod, and pick up the crashed cars with a construct claw.

"How 'bout you?"

I move the empty cars off to the side and pick up the fire-damaged vehicles ahead of us.

"Barely register it."

"Huh." He frowns as I set the cars down next to him. "When was your..? First?"

"The first time I saw a human corpse?"

"Yeah."

The first car appears to have had a slow fire. I hope that the people inside were dead before it.. caught them, but blackened bones are all that's left of them now. Wallace sprays what's left of each of them with a quick-setting foam before moving on to the next vehicle.

"The Santa Prisca mission. Fresh, and riddled with bullets. You?"

"About a month after I started."

Oh? My eyebrows rise. "Was Flash trying to put you off?"

"Yeah, but not like that. You know how Snart avoids killing people?"

"Yes."

"Right. So someone goes around with a freeze-. I mean, a cold gun, and we thought it was him. Turns out it was some guy called Chillblaine who got one of Snart's old cold guns. He used it on full power." He completes a circuit and I snip through the roll cages with construct shears to give him easier access. "I didn't even realise the guy was dead to start with. Not until Flash started freaking out."

"'Freaking out'?"

"Not because of the body. Because I was there. He didn't want me anywhere near it. And I argued about it with him, because I didn't know why he wanted to get rid of me, and I didn't know why we weren't just breaking him out of the ice."

"And you were… Fourteen?"

"Yeah. Once I worked it out I just did what he said and left. Compared to Santa Prisca, I didn't really see all that much."

"You were younger."

"Your world doesn't have superheroes though. You weren't used to seeing violence in the streets."

"True."

The wrecks cleared, I shift them off to the side again, my eyes momentarily alighting on a small pile of solidified foam before moving on to our next objective, the road bridge. Several cars crashed into the support pillars, badly cracking the concrete cladding. Combined with the fire damage, it's not safe for travel at the moment.

I fly over to it and begin analysing.

"What's Mister Atom had you doing?"

"Running town to town, telling people what's happened. I didn't realise how many places had bad phone signal." He walks over, watching me work. "How about you?"

"Reactivating nuclear power plants."

"Was he hungry?"

"Coal needs regular shipments of coal. Gas plants need gas pumped into them. Oil needs shipments-."

"Yeah, and nuclear reactors just need someone keeping an eye on them. I guess I'm just surprised you didn't replace them with something."

"What, like hydrogen? Hydrogen plants would need a whole new infrastructure base to keep them supplied."

"How about wind power?"

"Not reliable. And they need grease to keep them from jamming. And when it gets cold they freeze up and the standard method for de-icing them involved spraying them with a flamethrower."

"Huh."

"Yeah, they keep quiet about the amount of oil those things use."

"What about those.. bleed torsion generators? They don't need any fuel."

"It would be a little harder to integrate them into the power network. And no one could maintain them."

"So? Just take them out once things get going again."

"And then there's the issue of one government or another half-inching them and doing something stupid with them. I'd rather not put temptation in their way."

"I don't think anyone would do that. Governments… Most countries barely have governments. And… A lot of people saw the Life Entity at the end, and… People are behaving differently."

"Maybe. But then there's the question of why I didn't just release them in places other than New York."

"You want to improve the world. Maybe you need to take the risk?"

Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
  9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I don't know where this is from. Can you clarify what comic/tv show/movie this comes from?

That should say 'town'.

Minars90, Mr Zoat, Bud-E and 4 others like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Vogans may disagree with that.

"of the"

Well, they kinda do.

Weird that someone is saying this to Paul.

pervyshyguy, Mr Zoat, Bud-E and 6 others like this.
  11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yowch.

Even the team is realizing Paul's been hit by the Reed Richards is Useless bug at this point.

Minars90, sagemo, kraryal and 10 others like this.
  12. KenNM

KenNM Actually 23

Agreed…it’s really weird. I actually thought he’d be gung ho about the rebuilding and upgrading. Plus…this is exactly why Paul chose Eris as a patron, change and progress, no matter who’s stomped on and what industry is destroyed or the negative consequences if the overall change is a net positive no matter the chaos it causes

Mr Zoat Paul has no hesitation telling transportation businesses that he doesn’t give a crap about their complaints or how many jobs will be lost with the implementation of Dolmen Gates since the end result is better for the overall transport infrastructure , why the sudden hesitation? Isn’t he doing a disservice to Eris? Being too cautious and not making the most of the chaos to bring about better infrastructure? Let no crisis go to waste and all that?

Yeah, it’s really weird to see. I would’ve thought he’d be full on “let no crisis go to waste” mode and replacing all these “obsolete” systems.

On the bright side, nice to see OL hang out with Kid Flash again.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
    Minars90, sagemo, kraryal and 9 others like this.
  13. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

90's era spiderman cartoon....episode that introduced The Spot back then, had a portal grow too big, and spiderman needed some extra tech to help close it.

Minars90, CTrees, JoTa34 and 6 others like this.
  14. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Remember that Paul lost his fight with Smiley and then had a massive personality shift towards what Smiley wanted, which was a much slower change to status quo. He was out with Smiley having direct access to his soul for an unknown period of time and then woke up in one of Heaven's experimental soul washers.

15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Amusing. Lex completely misses out on the most profound experience all of humanity has shared thus far. Though most didn't experience all that much, I suspect. Still, at least he's doing the right thing, even if he stands to profit from it. And I don't doubt he has so many plans to buy up real estate and other things cheap before things get settled.

Clearing roads choked by abandoned or wrecked cars, I see. It'll make shipping easier, of course.

...Ah, right. Because plenty of people would have been on the road when the signal went live. And not all of them would have stopped safely.

I assume that's a comic plotline involving the Spot. Wonder what the kids think of OL just dropping random-sounding superhero names like that, though. o_O "Spider Man? What, is he all Batman-but-spiders or something?"

So the death toll from this sort of thing isn't going to be huge, but the aftermath will be nasty. Think about it: two months of decay...

Because the sidekicks here are just teenagers, and while Robin may have seen a corpse or two in Gotham City, well...

Growing up a lot faster than he needed to, I guess. Still, he chose this life.

One thing Wally can't do, I guess. Joy of taking a speedster build rather than a powerhouse. :p

Oh, now this is a morbid line of discussion...

And funerals don't count. Much too much stage-management and dressing there. If they were even open-casket types anyway.

Probably a good thing he could control his normal reactions by then.

Because that seems kind of an extreme way to do it. And the Rogues usually try to minimise body counts anyway.

Because charges like theft and public affray are one thing but manslaughter or murder? Not what he wants to deal with.

Heh. A literal copycat. But without the more reserved moral code of Captain Cold...

It could have been worse. Some Wally Wests got started younger than that.

Though I bet he spent quite a bit of time thinking about it later.

Not the super-powered kind, anyway. Sports riots or political stuff, maybe, but not in person, I hope.

Because if there's one thing OL is good at, it's repairing infrastructure.

I guess the word has to get out somehow, and speedsters seem a good way to manage it.

Ha! and after the discussion about Atom eating that fuel rod after his last appearance, that's made even more amusing.

I mean, are there enough reactor technicians available right now to handle the job? Some of them might have died or decided to get a new line of work after the event.

Because those plants can't make the hydrogen themselves that easily.

Seriously, that shit's more complicated than it seems...

And if something goes wrong? Who do they get to fix it? Because OL is a busy man and he can't come running very time there's an issue.

And if someone prefers the 'flash gordon' stuff? Honestly, think about it: clean energy for minimal cost and even if they have exotic requirements for maintenance, the engineers will start to learn.

Plus, I seem to remember that the generators are the ultimate in fail-safe designs. Mess them up and the worst you get is a 'blorch' noise as the field collapses.

...He's got a point, OL. Now would be a damn good time to kick Humanity in the arse about their power sources.

Honestly, there's also the other big super-science elephant in the room: The Knight technology. How has OL not though of the Cosmic Converter devices yet? I mean, sure, Vandal Savage or someone had the patents on lockdown, but after all this, I don't think anyone's going to object to them becoming public.Though I suppose finding engineers trained to operate either kind of super-generator is an issue...

...with a quick setting of foam before moving on to the next vehicle.

16. Tbryan

Tbryan Know what you're doing yet?

Spider-Man: The Animated Series

The quote itself is at 2:00

17. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Found another error. That should say 'the'.

18. KenNM

KenNM Actually 23

Fair enough, that is a plausible reason for that.

Though what about the much vaunted “Orange Enlightenment”? Want the ends, want the means. Shouldn’t Paul be aware that his desires have been tampered with?

19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I believe he only gained that after the tampering would have occured.

BartlettMagic likes this.
  20. KenNM

KenNM Actually 23

What? He gained orange enlightenment literally after being freed from Ophidian's first possession of him.

Are you telling me Mr Smiley was tampering with his non existent soul? Because Paul didn't have a soul back then

21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Ah. You're right. Never mind then.

22. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

That's what he says, but he actually isn't all that gung-ho about how he does stuff to progress. He even consulted a God disguised as a Greek Minister (can't recall his name) to find out if what he was implementing would have too many negative effects. When he fills he has to do stuff by himself because nobody else will, then he might be more blatant, like the refreezing of the ice caps or cleaning the plastic patch. But when it's a concerted or group effort, he usually just does his part.

That would be interesting, and plausible, but thr Illustres has had his even his soul obliterated since then, I think? That Qwa bomb the disintagrated him also blew his soul away, so much that he had to reconstruct it and regather his parts to recuperate his Enlightment I believe.

If that didn't remove any manipulation or noxious elements, he might have lost even some normal parts of his soul, then I don't know if there would even be a fix for it.

23. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘quick-setting foam’
    Is the flamethrower bit actually true? I tried looking it up and I couldn’t see anything about use of flamethrowers for deicing.

Mr Zoat and Ardy like this.
  24. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

um, excuse me. You’re supposed to be Vaermina: when you make an incorrect conclusion, you ignore contrary evidence or double down. This is weird

25. Firewillreign

Firewillreign Know what you're doing yet?

Personally, I think it's because Paul is a lot nicer than most people
    Give him credit for and he's sick and tired of harmful chaos and all that. People as a whole are in a really bad spot in-canon and he’s deliveratley attempting to not make it worse or do something that blows up in his face like the Batman situation no matter how good of would be long term, so treating the world with kiddie gloves it is.

On the bright, I think a lot of people are going to start seeing things his way real soon, so that's all good on that front

Ardy, KenNM and Ngamer11 like this.
  26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I hope Paul gets a good amount of credit for resolving this disaster, enough for some people to openly ask why he hasn't either been made a member of the Justice League or make his own organization that can act as less of a rapid response team that the JL is suited for and more of a preventative task force that does its best to improve Earth's defenses so that things never get this bad again.

27. Mr Zoat

I tried to to find a video clip but failed. It's from Spider-Man.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Comes up later. Basically, because forcing powerful groups to accept major changes to their lives would involve conquering the world first.
    Thank you, corrected.
    I haven't watched it myself, but I believe so.

Prince Charon, Ardy, KenNM and 2 others like this.
  28. KenNM

KenNM Actually 23

Fair enough, corporations are one thing, whole nations are an entirely different matter.

Well, if nothing else, I'm sure Teth Adom wouldn't mind OL giving some assistance.

29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Considering Paul is largely responsible for many of the armaments that Kahndaq currently has, that's already a given. I'm just waiting for the announcement that Kahndaq will be considered one of the most prosperous nations thanks to coming out relatively unscathed compared to the rest of the world in addition to Teth Adom giving Paul permission to give as many kinds of technological advancements to his beloved nation as possible.

Cuchulin, Ardy, KenNM and 2 others like this.
  30. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

this was my daily confirmation that Paul could still be reckless and morally questionable- in other words, same old OL. and i mean that affectionately.

it makes sense that things are different for almost everyone (Luthor? interesting) because they got directly 'purified' by the Life Entity... including OL. i could only imagine what that kind of emotional recharge feels like.

OL's clone got purified too, so there's an extra one of those floating around somewhere, which is neat.

between the world just starting to rebuild after the Sheeda crisis, and the Euanthe/Ivy situation down in Brazil, and now the Anti-life Crisis doing even more damage to infrastructure, i have very, very high hopes for what we see the world doing as far as rebuilding goes, and it seems like there is going to be significant rebuilding needed. with the hopefully newfound appreciation for life and naturalism and magic, it almost feels like Paul, with his part in creating Dolman gates and therefore the Anti-Life crisis, has helped to usher in a reverse-Sheeda future. like for some reason i always imagined the Sheeda future looking like Morrowind. now the world is going to be Valenwood.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon, Ardy and 3 others like this.