1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Good to see the sane… well, the benevolent and functional insane Paul again.

I think the unofficial plan is to wait for the Orange Lanterns to solve the issue. Shouldn’t take more than a millennia or two at current rate of progress.

2. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Lets hope the orange lanters have better luck than the green lanterns did.

"How bad is it?"

"The real Darkseid can bitch slap superman through a planet just by looking at him."

"Please tell me you're joking."

"Omega effect is no joke."

3. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Don't they know about New Gods being vulnerable to Radion or something like that? Because honestly, new agenda should be get allied with New Genesis, considering the importance of Earth, or do what villains and people did once Superman's vulnerability was known, develop a plethora of weapons using said vulnerability as basis and build up an arsenal of them.

Anyway, glad we are back to our regular, insane but endearing, Illustres shenanigans. I want some proper update on how this unrecognizable Earth is looking.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Xmaster3000 like this.
  4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's a consistent part of the mythos that Superman does in fact beat Darkseid when he stops holding himself back.

Impartial Panic and Cuchulin like this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No. Nor would they know how to get/make any.

6. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

The only reason Grayven was able to get a radion blaster was because he stole one from the thanagarians on Earth 50. I can't imagine New Genesis would be eager to share any.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    Silveraith, Cuchulin, Jaron and 3 others like this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Savage also had one.

How he got it wasn't answered, but maybe Mordru, who can travel through space and may know a lot about New Gods, could have given it to him.

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  8. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I mean, is it that mysterious or unknown? I didn't like nor remember much of Final Crisis but I do recall that Batman shot Darkseid with a bullet made of "New God kryptonite". And where are Mr. Miracle and Barda, wouldn't they know of it?

Dr. Sivana, Sr. developed a humongous one to ambush and threaten Grayven with prior to the Sheeda Invasion, under the belief that he didn't need to be particularly clever with it, just have one big enough to bypass defenses since the energy was already so noxious to Grayven's kind. I don't know where he found out about it or how he made it (did Grayven spill something of it?) but wouldn't the Maltusians know of it as well? And if one Dr. Sivana, Sr. managed to create that weapon in the Renegade timeline, the one that since the Sheeda Invasion was being consulted by world governments should be able to as well, no?

I'm just saying, after what happened, getting invaded by Apokolips should be enough of a fear for Earth to look into proper defenses, once they have recuperated enough, instead of trying to behave like an ostrich.

9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Keep in mind, what Paul thinks is happening, and what is actually happening, are often two wildly different things.

And well, Darkseid scares Paul, because he can completely shut his rings down.

Silveraith likes this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe he found it in another universe.

He did mention that he once met up with multiple versions of himself, so he could have asked if any of them know about it.

I'm not so sure about where Barda is.

Last time she was mentioned she was abducted by Manheim, so she may now be free on Earth or she's on Apokalips.

But the two of them may not know about it.

Other New Gods may not know about it since it could be something like mutually assured destruction and if one sides uses it then the other will also use it.

Assuming he's still consulting, or that he'd be interested in making it.

Ardy likes this.
  11. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yes they do? Paul mentioned it during the lead-up to returning to earth. Something about Mr miracle knowing they exist and they work but having never seen one

12. Mr Zoat

Oh. My mistake.

Duke Long, Ardy, boo600 and 1 other person like this.
  13. ThatDamnPaladin

ThatDamnPaladin Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Hey! I wanted to thank you Mr. Zoat for quite literally making one of the few series of Fanfics that I have trouble putting down. This has gotten me through many terrible events in my life and I am always delighted to restart reading your work when I forget my place in your immense work.

So, once again- thanks man.

MasterMeowMeow, Ardy and DAT_NOOB like this.
  14. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

This is the only real indication of radion in the paragon timeline. If he's asked Hinon about it, it wasn't on screen.

Because why would an X-Pit fighter be given something like radion. I find it a little odd that the head of Darkseids bodyguards has never seen one either but /shrug.

Duke Long, Ardy and Lord Ernest like this.
  15. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

That’s exactly what I was thinking of. Thank you

16. Threadmarks: Starring (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

14th August 2013
    Morning

The force field emitters spark and fail as my construct blade cuts into them.

Charge?

Ninety two percent maximum power remaining.

Okay. Okay. I've got no idea where I am or what the hell's going on-. I mean, those weren't Earth's continents I saw on the way down, but at least the air's breathable, and… And there were settlements, civilisation, and they almost certainly don't speak English.

Why do I have a power ring and no lantern?

The light goes out, and I freeze, listening, peering into the blackness of the underground complex that the ring says has a lantern in it. The walls are covered in mosaics made of precious stones and the ceiling is gold-plated, so if there was any light down here it would be reflected. It isn't. It's pitch black now that the faint glow of the force field is gone, and-.

I need to focus, yes, that's better. The faint orange glow of my environmental shield is enough to show me the… Mosaic appears to show… A king or god handing a scroll to a… Noble? Who then goes around taking precious things from other people. Lesser nobles? And then… And then yes, that's an orange personal lantern give me!

WOOMPF!

Agh!

Block block block!

WOOMPF! WOOMPF! WOOMPF!

Energy bolts hit my barrier and it doesn't look like it's going to last! Fire back! Fire back!

Orange beams flash into the treasure room, slicing through some sort of gun built into the wall. There's a quick flare of flame as it's destroyed, then… Nothing.

Ah… Armour. And scan for more guns.

None detected.

Other weapons?

None detected.

Force field or other things that aren't walls?

Awareness expanded.

Aaaagarhgah.

Awareness contracted.

That was-. That was unpleasant, but at least I know there aren't any more guns. I walk past the area that was blocked by the force field and-.

Something glowy appears in front of me and I immediately shoot it. The energy bolt goes right through and slams into a pile of gold jewellery on the far side, scattering it. The glowy-. It's a hologram, the translucent image of a man dressed in… Ancient Middle Eastern clothing? Plenty of jewellery from what I can tell, but the colour is fairly washed out. The image flickers, disappearing entirely for half a second and then reappearing.

"Interloper! You trespass on the territory of the Great God Mammon!"

His eyes seem to glow for a moment.

"You have already earned-"

The image starts jerking.

"-earned earned earned-."

It disappears.

Ah.

"God Mammon!" Glow. "You have already earned your death. Surrender to my guards and it shall be swift."

I walk around it and ignore the rest of its spiel. If there were any guards when this place was buried, they've either left or died. I haven't seen any bodies, so… Hopefully, they got away.

Ah, where's the lantern already?

Displayed.

Ah. Either through that wall, or in a concealed compartment inside that wall. Can I..? Ring, open it.

Light strobes out, focusing on an oblong outline. The glow caries on for a moment, then there's a click and the panel pulls in and then rises up and there's the orange personal lantern! I-! I scan for weapons again and find nothing. Then I make a construct hand and grab it and pull it over to me.

Safe.

My light goes out again, but the glow from the lantern and the hologram still illuminates the room.

"God Mammon!"

Safe.

On an alien planet with no idea where I am. I never learned to spot constellations, much less how to actually navigate in space! I've got work…

I glance at the pile of jewellery on the ground.

I've got work tomorrow, though between that and the power ring I can probably afford to resign. Need to train a replacement, as -management aside- I've liked working at the company and don't want to be an arse about it. I don't think I'll have to worry about finding something to do with my time instead of work-.

But that all presupposes that I can get back. Mum and Dad will stop by on Sunday for our walk, and… That's probably when they'll first notice that I'm gone. Unless work phones them. Me not turning up without notice should make them try phoning me, but they might not try phoning other listed contacts for-.

That doesn't help.

In theory, if this is an orange power ring like in the comics, I should be able to find Earth eventually. Just check every star in the galaxy, and if that doesn't work, pick another spiral galaxy and try there. Eventually I should find some sort of spacefaring civilisation and get them to tell me how to narrow it down. I should be able to detect main sequence stars with rocky worlds from a distance… Hopefully.

So do I start immediately, or do something else?

I'm on a planet with aliens.

I didn't get a close look on the way in. None of the settlements I saw were in this area. I realise that they're almost certainly not humanoid, and… Seeing me will probably be very disturbing for them. I remember seeing a report on a Call of Cthulhu game on 4Chan where a character is teleported to an alien world. He looks around, passes his sanity check for seeing their 'strange geometries' and then fixes the teleporter and returns to Earth. Then the players ask why the GM is still rolling dice.

The aliens needed sanity checks for seeing the player.

But… I have a power ring. It shouldn't be difficult for me to look down on them from space. See how they live. And it would be a long shot, but maybe they've got records of whoever built this and got this lantern.

And since I don't need to conserve power anymore…

I rise off the ground.

Heh.

Ring, do I have a subspace pocket?

Confirmed.

A strobe of orange light deposits every valuable object in the room into that pocket. I leave the images on the wall with their precious stones. They might have archaeological value, and I can always take them to the British Museum once I know where it is.

And then I fly back towards the entrance.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
  17. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Anyone have any idea where this version of the SI ended up? Because I'm drawing a blank.

18. Azzy Rael

Azzy Rael Know what you're doing yet?

“Yoink! Mine!” -average Orange Light enjoyer.

19. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

The fact that there's a preexisting orange lantern would seem to indicate it's a DC continuity even if I have no idea which one. But if there's some explanation for an orange lantern to exist outside DC then "Great God Mammon" isn't a lot to go on.

20. Impatient_Quill

Impatient_Quill Versed in the lewd.

Kill Six Billion Demons?

21. kedgisgo

kedgisgo Semi-Professional Lurker

ahahaha he's in Stargate! haha oh goodie the goa'uld are going to get a very rude awakening

even a fresh lantern (with a lantern) can steamroll most of the setting.. ahh this could be quite cathartic :)
    unless he ticks off an ascended enough to make them act.. then he's doomed.

Minars90, Duke Long, Doccer and 24 others like this.
  22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Interesting. A new Alt!Paul? And one just starting out, it seems. I see he's still calculating dates based on his original displacement time. So then: Ideas on where this one may be? I suppose we'll have to find clues within the chapter.

Not that that will slow you down, given you have a Power Ring. And as you'll find out, they are awesome. :p

Heh. Still learning to focus on his wants, I see. Wonder if he's had the self-improvement moment yet or not?

Hmm... A culture of acquisitiveness. Not a lot of clues there.

Good, right frame of mind. Don't fear the threat, want it gone.

Ah, desperation, the mother of invention... And violence.

He'll be wanting to get something more protective than flannel pyjamas soon.

It's a poor tomb that only has one trap.

Yeah, never assume that the AI understands what you mean. Though Orange Rings to tend to be smart that way.

Ooh, that must have stung. Especially as a rookie.

Twitchy, but understandable. It's been quite the morning.

Hmm... As in the same demon of Earth? o_O Well, Hell is supposedly universal. But according to his comment about the continents, this isn't Earth itself.

Glitchy from age, or from Paul's little barrage earlier? No telling for sure at this stage.

Okay, it's a junker.

So, is this guy Mammon, or merely a priest of him? The joy of a blind introduction...

Hmm... So it's likely this is either a DC Universe or one adjacent enough to have Maltusian Spectrum technology. Which could be anything from a sub-imprint to a licensed property.

Ah, good. Already getting into the habit of having the Ring 'do the thing'.

Feeling a lot safer, I bet. We've seen how desperate other Pauls were to get personal lanterns.

Focus, Paul. Don't want to get caught with your defences down...

To be fair, most people wouldn't know the latter skill. Hell, I don't think many would bother learning about constellations, especially if they live in big cities. Light pollution, you know?

Easier than asteroid mining, but probably less profitable.

Getting home may take some time.

...Heh. Sounds a bit more the Greenies' type of process, but with a little 'get it done', it shouldn't take that long.

Green Alien Space Babes, captain. Or Blue. Or Yellow. Or Pink. A whole technicolour galaxy. :D

Ah. A GM rolling dice is never good for the players. Especially if they're not doing anything that needs rolls.

Ah, yes. The 'Humans are Cthulu' trope. When we're too weird for the spacemen to understand. Or that one 'Powers' page with the interdimensional traveller popping in, rendered in full 3D, and someone pukes upon seeing them. Or maybe it was 'Top 10'? (Sadly, it's really hard to search for something that generic.)

Don't go too power-mad now, Paul...

...Especially since you have functionally unlimited inventory.

Ah, Archaeology in the finest British fashion: Loot everything that's not nailed down, and come back with a crowbar... :V

Well, still no obvious clues, at least to my limited knowledge. But then, I'm not read up on a lot of sci-fi franchises. Though the likelihood of the locals being human-adjacent is pretty high based on that hologram. ;) Unless it's some distant post-apocalyptic world inhabited by animal people. I guess we're stuck waiting for upcoming chapters to find out.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Seeing as this takes place in 2013 the Goa'uld may be already defeated.

24. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

The eyes are a bit of a hint, the woomph noise fits with Staff Weapon blasts.....hologram and god comments would fit....don't think I've ever heard Mammon as a name for one of the snakes....huh.

If it is SG-1 I'm honestly kinda shocked....I just recently stumbled on a stargate fic around here, that sounds odd in premise seems to work.

25. Mr Zoat

That's just the date the SI thinks it is. Check when this story started.

mossconfig, Kiden, kerleth and 15 others like this.
  26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Unless this is some Zoat made up continuity with barely any connection to the actual setting this isn't Stargate.

Though you're actually not accurate about that second part. The only thing he would actually be a threat to in the setting would be the Goa'uld.

Nothing he could do would stop the Replicators.

Nothing he could do would stop the Ori.

Nothing he could do would stop the Wraith.

Nothing he could do would stop the renegade Ancients.

Thrackerzod likes this.
  27. Galler

Galler Not too sore, are you?

Good show.

Duke Long, Cuchulin, DAT_NOOB and 5 others like this.
  28. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

A new Paul.

The things shown in the update are fairly generic to nail it down, but the presence of a lantern should mean its tied to standard DC or a cross over verse.

Now if it's a power source that could function as a lantern that is a much broader category, star gate zero point modules could recharge a ring for a limited number of charges (even we are talking about centuries) and look like orange Lantern as they glow orange, so this could very well be a Paul left in Stargate and his lantern could be a ZPM the random goalud looted from an ancient outpost.

In short, need more information, but Stargate doesn't seem to be a long shot guess even if we don't have enough evidence to make an accurate guess.

29. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

"Valuable archeological artifacts from another civilization? That's right! They go in the square hole British Musem!"

Anyway, I wonder if this is Earth, just far enough into the future or past that the continents have shifted (or been rearranged by cataclysmic fighting, if its the future).

30. Clell65619

Clell65619 Making the rounds.

A strobe of orange light deposits every valuable object in the room into that pocket. I leave the images on the wall with their precious stones. They might have archaeological value, and I can always take them to the British Museum once I know where it is.

- Not sure if it's all that much the Orange Light, or just the historical Brit Penchant for Strategically Transfering Equipment to Alternate Locations, whether the locals like it or not.