1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anything At All (Worm v1 CYOA, Kaleidoscope, SI, one-shot)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by cliffc999, Jun 3, 2023.

Tags:
  1. CmirDarthanna

CmirDarthanna Connoisseur.

Kinda funny people kept whining about being too op when the setting is full of suck.

I wouldn't touch the place without assurances and being op is just the mandatory opening offer.

Like wasn't there around 10^85th-87th power alternate Earth's that got quarantined by the two entities?

That's a bullshit number of alternate universes under their lock and key.

2. NorthSouthGorem

NorthSouthGorem Versed in the lewd.

This. All of this. Also, I just like extreme amounts of power that can be applied creatively. :)

Poe Darkly, anirocks, Jswb and 11 others like this.
  3. TroyX

TroyX Connoisseur.

This is why you are the Duke of Cheese.

Maybe we should upgrade that title to Grand Duke of Cheese?

4. Setras

Setras I trust you know where the happy button is?

Alexandria and Legend are traps - they're completely useless unless you also take a power with the means to actually access zion's body... Which would ironically make them the best for a story because you'd need to use something like the methods from Canon to attack him.

For shaper you just need to remember to spread backups around the globe asap in case your body gets killed, at that point the only real threats are the endbringers and scion - the machine army has biological components connecting to the Shard, so you could just axe those at range, as well as all parahumans (possible exception of Alexandria). You'd need to make some kind of dimension breaching organism, but the shards prove that's possible, and Shaper is vague on whether that kind of tinkeresque knowledge is within its ability, so it'd be up to the writer.

Psychokinesis is basically God mode, you'd just need to hand around Alexandria and study any Doors she uses. Study her power to mimic it while you are there. My personal choices would be PK with II. Because the only real limit to PK is how much you know, and II neatly let's you know practically everything :V

5. Zerak

Zerak Well worn.

I was just thinking didn’t you do this a while back.

Perpetual Tim and Prince Chrom like this.
  6. CmirDarthanna

Ah, yeah. With the supernatural skills and knowledge of II reality becomes clay with PK.

Jswb, Silor, Grimrr and 2 others like this.
  7. Setras

It works in reverse too - because you can use PK to create II inventions ex nihilo

Jswb, Silor, Asdercol and 4 others like this.
  8. TroyX

TroyX Connoisseur.

PK/II user: "Build the tools to build the tools to build the tools? Sounds like something a pleb would do."

:p

9. CmirDarthanna

In stories with II there are a lot of people throwing suggestions on settings and tech that the writer might not be invested in and don't want to spend the effort to trawl through wikis and source material which is fair.

However here's an in universe way of getting some meta knowledge.

Put a charge or two in:
    [Pop Culture: Sci-fi (Earth of Origin)]
    [Pop Culture: Fantasy (Earth of Origin)]

10. Subsdry

Subsdry Not too sore, are you?

Personally Kaleidoscope always felt too meta for me, technically it is just manipulation of Space and Time limited only by your Experience, Imagination and Creativity. But with the entire Multiverse or Omniverse as i prefer (considering the sheer scale) at your fingertips, the ability to time travel to your future and give yourself Millenia of Experience with it and borrowing the Imagination and Creativity of the Omniverses greatest it practically obliterates those limitations.
    So where does it End unlike Power Manipulator and to a lesser extent Inspired Inventor which are both capped only at the the initial Rate of Power Gain and otherwise completely and explicitly unlimited, but can for example Kaleidoscope reach back and chose an alternate Version of yourself that took a different Option in the CYOA?
    Can it give you the abilities of literally any fictional character or are some so Powerful they notice and erase you before you know it?

Eh. That not really true, as you yourself mentioned Eidolon gives you the ability to give yourself a Power that makes temporary Trump based Abilities Permanent, but that isn’t the End.
    The CYOA says „any Power you wish, and may be swapped out at will“ and „your Power will automatically provide abilities that aid you in surviving and achieving your goals“. Even with your least favorable interpretation that still leaves you strong enough to throw yourself at literally any Earth Bet Threat with Zero Thought or Preparation because you gain those at Will.
    Considering that for example Combat Knowledge, Tactics and Synergy and other knowledge would aid you in surviving, an Author would have to be either entirely uncreative with something that gives you instant access to any Power or actively limit and nerf the ability

Not to mention with that Temporary Trump Affects become Permanent Ability you can easily and instantly become Capital G God, just slot it in and let the other 4 charges you have cycle through every single imaginable Power with the only limiter being how fast you Interpret at Will (for me that’s the speed of your thought something that gets hugely accelerated with the right Powers) and how fast the Power itself can cycle because if your goal is to get as many Powers and Strength in general as you can, it will simply do all the heavy lifting for you.
    When you take a Googolplex amount of Powers which range form literally anything like boost other temporary gained Powers, merge all Power into cohesive massive whole that can affect itself, unlimited creativity, the collective knowledge of Humanity (take Victor Skill Stealing and take it up a Notch) to any other conceivable Power.
    Why does it matter if you start at your weakest at redrawing Global Maps level if you can freely combine, merge and do whatever with your abilities?
    And that’s just the weakest interpretation it only says at the weakest level a Power is at a Threat Level of 8 with 9-10 being the Norm but there in no given Upper Limit.

Eidolon is the only Power in the CYOA that could be slapped on the most moronic idiot and still leave them able to tear through everything in Worm the instant they dropped in, even if they got ambushed by Zion the Planck-Second they emerged into Reality.
    Any other Power except maybe Emps (wouldn’t surprise me if he had some automatic response to Personal Danger that teleports him away or something similar that allow him to get his bearings) requires Conscious Thought or leaves you vulnerable to Exile (like Shaper and Alexandria) where you can simply be dealt with by being thrown into an alternate completely barren Universe.

You don’t even have to worry about unconsciously wishing for a good fight because 1. That is pretty much impossible to achieve without depowering yourself to hell and back and 2. The Power helps you in surviving and achieving your Goals which probably doesn’t include finding out you manipulated an entire Earth/Multiverse and caused untold suffering just because you have a fighting boner.

The more you think about these abilities the more ridiculous they get and honestly I am glad as I would never willing visit Earth Bet without such an „I Win“ Button.

Jswb and CmirDarthanna like this.
  11. cliffc999

cliffc999 Connoisseur.

Eidolon starts with a cap on the magnitude of any one ability.

Silor, Ramuthra, ArKFallen and 5 others like this.
  12. FlameOfTheVoid

FlameOfTheVoid Making the rounds.

Another v1 "cheat":

If you win, you get a power to open portals to the wormverse. So with a PM charge spent on that power, or an Eidolon trump power directed at it, or Shattered Limiter, or even regular power growth ( v1 powers grow in strength and versatility ), you can get multiverse travel without Kaleidoscope level of fanfic-destroying op-ness.

13. ursinethemadbear

ursinethemadbear Know what you're doing yet?

Grand High Duke of Cheese, Count of Cheddar, Prince of Pepper-Jack, Sultan of Swiss, Viscount of Vieux Boulogne.

14. TroyX

TroyX Connoisseur.

Well, I suspect pepperjack, the King of Cheese, will object to one of those, but yeah :D

15. CmirDarthanna

Don't forget the descendant of the Lineage Most Ancient of House White Meat.

Gregory Crey likes this.
  16. Gregory Crey

Gregory Crey Magic is of wonder and terror. Life is so magical.

Pork or Chicken branch? You mentioned "the" so it seems to be only one or the other...

CmirDarthanna likes this.
  17. CmirDarthanna

The even older one. Cheese! Cheese used to be called white mete(food).

Gregory Crey likes this.
  18. anirocks

anirocks always lurking

cliffc999 and others for me what i do is to pick power manipulator, Inspired inventor shattered limiter, endbringer and world breaker at minimum, emerge at cauldron main base where the main members of cauldron i.e. alexandria, eidolon. legend, contessa, doctor mother and number man are having a meeting at the base where the eden's body is stored. transfer their powers, deactivate the endbringers and upgrade it to the alexandria, eidolon and legend version of the worm v1 and upgrade contessa's power to allmighty by spending 10 charges on each. connect with the eden shards there to become a new entity. Kill the core shards of zion and assimilate his shards as well and wait until i go to my home universe. after that become the god king of my universe

Secondary Tasks to be done in priority order
    1. Combine Strider and Doormaker and upgrade it to the worm v1 kaleidoscope
    2. Copy amy's power and upgrade it to the shaper power from worm cyoa v1
    3. Copy Taylor power and upgrade it to khepri+ (Control any and all sapient and sentient on an planet simultaneously)
    4. copy simurgh's telekinetic power and upgrade it to psychokinetic power of worm cyoa v1
    5. use kaleidoscope after its creaded to visit any fanfics which has the celestials (celestial forge, grimoire, menagerie and inventory) and their variants as well as tinker of fiction and projection power from projection quest and its variants. copy them as well
    6. visit every worm crossover fics and obtain its crossover elements for me

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
    Odd1todd89 and Ferrujado like this.
  19. Ferrujado

Ferrujado Know what you're doing yet?

Would this help to discover if feng shui works in the current universe?

20. cliffc999

cliffc999 Connoisseur.

It should, yes.

21. Ramuthra

Ramuthra Dabbler

Alexandria, yes.

Legend can fire Sting shots with the energy release of 1000 Hiroshima bombs a second. Combine with Blank and you could solo Scion right out the gate, since thats what killed him canonically.

One fanfic I read had someone invest in Bene Gesserit Disciplines and Mentat Training. Without Spice, precog is severely limited, but it still gave the protag extreme control over their mind and body, along with access to the Weirding Way and other powerful benefits.

22. Prince Chrom

Prince Chrom Experienced.

I remember that Cliff's II fanfic does most of that, though I don't remember if it had the precog or the Weirding Way, because from memory that's not actually Bene Gesserit stuff.

Setras, Ramuthra and Odd1todd89 like this.
  23. Setras

You are mistaken my friend. Legend could indeed kill his avatar for a few seconds, the problem however is that his real body is in another dimension that Legend has no means to reach. The problem isn't a lack of fire power, but the fact that there's just no means to target him without first hitting him with Sting. Which he has defences for, meaning you have to play out Gold Morning.

Edit: I somehow missed the part where you said it could fire sting shots admittedly, but the CYOA says nothing about being able to fire sting shots. It says you can manipulate their properties like legend can, like make freezing or matter destroying blasts etc. You're stretching that pretty far to assume it can use sting, which is a whole separate power.

Admittedly, it still wouldn't work. Scion has autododge on sting, they only hit him because he let them, because they first broke his spirit. They essentially bullied him into committing suicide

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
  24. Ramuthra

Ramuthra Dabbler

Legend also says "You can fire blasts of light whose properties and effects are within your control."

It does not say "You are limited to what Legend can do."

For more information, try the Legend Guide posted earlier.

25. Setras

By your logic legend can make you a Harry potter style wizard with rapid fire super spells that can do nearly anything...

marsolino and CmirDarthanna like this.
  26. Ramuthra

Ramuthra Dabbler

I mean. . . Yes? You were probably trying for reductio ad absurdum, but you're not wrong. Have you seen the other powers on this list? Sting shots are perfectly reasonable things to fire compared to what Power Manipulation can get you after a single day's charges, so when it says 'the powers and effects are yours to control' its perfectly reasonable to assume they can, at the very least, be the kind of weaponized blast you want them to be.

There's a reason that Alexandria's 'invulnerable to literally everything strong enough to do anything' power is the weakest one, and thats because of its lack of variety and the fact that Scion isn't vulnerable to physical force.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  27. CmirDarthanna

Not quite. You can pull of sidereal martial arts bullshit like punching monsters into completely well adjusted human beings, pull off xianxia cultivator fuckery of warping reality through brute force, and expand the field responsible for Alexandria outwards and alter reality that way.

Really Alexandria reminds me of the ki option to a magic cyoa.

NorthSouthGorem likes this.
  28. Moldy Guacamole

Moldy Guacamole Fermented

Technically, traveling through alternate timelines is time travel, just horizontally.

Not necessarily. The Alexandria force field allow you to ignore physics, you can quite literally fly into Zion's pocket dimension if you know where it is. Legend can imbue any property on it's lasers, so just fire off a Gae Bolg/Sting laser beam at the golden dude.

29. Esper

Esper Eat My Pixelated Shorts

Man I love Power Manipulation.

Make a charge catcher so you can collect excess charges, increase PM's range so you don’t have to take a bus tour to copy all the things, when paired with Inspired Inventor copying Miss Militia's power and then tweaking it so you always have tools any tools you want is a hell of a combo, make a ghost power for intangibility and most things in the city can't even touch you.

It's full of so much win.