1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Are basic and general deductions considered doxxing?

Discussion in 'Announcements and Rules' started by magic9mushroom, Sep 5, 2017.

1. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

When I hear or see the word "doxxing", I think of either a) specific contact/identification details (name, address, phone number, photograph), or b) information gained through RL acquaintance with the person behind the pseudonym (for instance, responding to someone saying "I'm a teacher" with "I know this person in RL, he's not a teacher"). I'm pretty solidly against both of those, though I'm ashamed to admit that in the distant past (I'm talking 2007/2008, here) I've done b) a couple of times.

What I'm wondering about is the stuff that can be figured out from forum posts (i.e. not from an IP trace, RL methods, or even digging through other sites), and doesn't uniquely identify the person in question. Stuff like continental assignment based on timezone analysis (people don't generally post in the wee hours of the morning, if someone says they're tired it's probably late there, etc.), deductions from word choices and the names of bureaucracy ("the FBI", for instance, is a US term), and sex-specific figures of speech (if someone says they "wouldn't stick their dick in crazy", it's very likely that they do in fact possess a penis). This isn't the sort of thing that's particularly threatening to anonymity, a betrayal of confidence, or indeed necessarily indicative of malice, but it does technically qualify as doxxing under some broad definitions. So I'm wondering what position the QQ administration takes on paying attention to this stuff.

Inspired by a dream I had last night which went something like this:

Random QQer: <statement whose context depends on their location>
    *one timezone check later*
    m9m: You're from Europe, right? <response assuming Random QQer is European>
    Mod: Doxxing. *permaban*

Dragon God and Ddmkm122 like this.
  2. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

Saying someone is from a certain time zone isn't doxxing.

What makes doxxing isn't the actual information, imo, it's the unwanted sharing of it. A person can put their own information where ever they want, but if someone else posts that's person's info somewhere against the owner's wishes, then it's doxxing.

A note, though, about posting your own info. We'd still have to treat it as doxxing, simply because we cannot know for sure that the person posting the info is the same as the person the info is about.

Merlin, Dragon God, Ddmkm122 and 2 others like this.
  3. daniel_gudman

daniel_gudman KING (in land of blind)

I feel like another consideration is something like, "unwitting accessory to doxxing".

Asking someone to confirm Y/N that they're from some time zone in particular or whatever is probably pretty harmless, but the way doxxing works is by piling up a bunch of little details, until all that stuff added together can be used to positively identify someone.

So even if you personally are just chillaxing as a friend, you have to be aware that once it's in a post, and exists as a datapoint on the interwebs, it's theoretically usable by some, like, Malevolent Lurker.

I mean I'm saying this from the perspective of I don't want my Internet Buddies to get harassed or doxxed, so I try to cultivate habits that protect my Buddies, you know?

4. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

Most doxxing I've seen involves invasive stuff like email hacking or IP-trace; clues (besides the gotcha stuff like photos and links between real-name and pseudonymous web presence) are too much work. Particularly if they're buried in a forum somewhere rather than being listed on a profile.

Then again, it's not like I'm experienced at doing it, so I could be mistaken.

Ddmkm122 and Scherazade like this.