1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking Thread~ Recipes & Things

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, May 1, 2013.

1. heralding_bubble

heralding_bubble Liar and Hypocrite

I meant more the laying out the instructions

kinglugia likes this.
  2. Threadmarks: This is what I eat instead of candy - Youtube
    QQmember2021

QQmember2021 Well worn.

3. Threadmarks: Iron Chef Dad Turns $0.99 Noodle Gourmet - Youtube
    Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

4. Threadmarks: Chicken-Vegetable Soup - UrsaTempest
    UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

Chicken-Vegetable Soup

I've binged Bourdain (rest in peace, you bastard) and Ruhlman's books this past few days. So when I made today's soup I tried to apply some of the technique and the result is much better than expected. I decided to write it down, but who knows - maybe it'll be useful to you, too.

Serve three to five meals.

INGREDIENTS:

Stock:
    1 piece of chicken. I use a thigh, both lower and upper.
    1 small onion. I use red onion - I honestly don't know if it's onion that just happened to be colored red or an enlarged small shallot.

Starch:
    1 potato, small-medium.
    1 carrot, small-medium.

Fibers:
    4 sheets of big napa cabbage - feel free to swap with other brassica, as needed.
    1 large chinese celery. Probably possible to replace with other celery, as needed.
    1 small sweet(?) corn.

Seasoning:
    3 small shallots.
    4 cloves of garlic.
    2 bay leaves.
    Fish sauce, as needed.
    Salt, as needed.
    Pepper, as needed.
    MSG, as needed.

Make Stock:
    1. Wash chicken. Roast 'em until they just beginning to caramelize - thirty minutes on my air fryer, at 200C, but do it however you like it.
    2. Put roasted chicken to pan. Cover with water. Doesn't have to be cold, but it shouldn't be hot.
    3. Add salt. It can be hard to determine how much is needed at this stage unless you have experience, so err on being cautious.
    4. Put pan to the stove. Turn it on. You want to aim temperature where it's hot enough you can't hold the pan, but not hot enough it'll boil. On my gas stove, it's literally the lowest setting short of turning it off.
    5. Leave it for 3-4 hours.
    6. The water will be reduced; you can add more to previous level as needed. I did it once, but after it got reduced again I decided it's sufficient and take the pan off the stove.
    7. Take the chicken, set aside; if you want to store the stock, wait until it's cool before pouring it on convenient container.

Make stock, redux:
    1. Put/keep your chicken stock on the pan.
    2. Chop onion. Put chopped onion to the stock.
    3. Strip chicken meat from bone. Cut meat, roughly. Put both meat and bone to the pan.
    4. Put bay leaves to the pan.
    5. Put pan to the stove. Same instruction as above - keep it hot, but not boiling (it's best to use drinkable water for this)
    6. While stock is being made, it's time to prepare everything else:

Mise-en-Place:
    1. Take other ingredients - make sure they're within reach.
    2. Wash, clean, and peel everything, as needed. You want to do chopping/crushing later, however.
    3. Put washed, cleaned, and peeled veggies and seasoning nearby.

Starches:
    1. Cut potato and carrot. You can just add them to the pan immediately, if you want.
    2. Set the stove to higher temperature. Aim for simmering.

Fibers:
    1. Dehull corns. Set aside.
    2. Chop cabbage. Set aside.
    3. Cut shallots. Set aside.
    4. Crush and cut garlic. Set aside.
    5. Cut celery. Set aside.

Finishing:
    1. Check on potato and carrot in the pan. If they are fork-soft, then put the rest of vegetables.
    2. Taste the broth. Add salt, MSG, fish sauce, as necessary.
    3. After it's boiled once, the soup is done. Turn off stove.
    4. Take the bay leaves and chicken bones out (unless you want to eat/suck on the bones, I suppose).
    5. Taste the broth. Add pepper, or other seasoning as needed.

Imabot, Ilikebob and Sydonai like this.
  5. Threadmarks: Cosmic Brownie - YiteWrite
    YiteWrite

YiteWrite TALI ASS TALI ASS TALI ASS Moderator

Just found this if anyone's interested:

Cosmic Brownie Recipe:
    1/2 cup flour.
    1/4 cup cocoa powder.
    1/4 teaspoon of salt.
    3/4 cup of brown sugar.
    5 tablespoons of unsalted butter.
    one egg and one egg yolk. (both room temperature)
    one tablespoon of honey.
    one teaspoon of vanilla.

FROSTING:
    one and a 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
    1/2 cup of heavy cream.
    sprinkles.

Sydonai likes this.
  6. Threadmarks: Origins: Mac and Cheese - Youtube
    QQmember2021

QQmember2021 Well worn.

7. Somebody

Somebody Experienced.

To the foodies of QQ, how accurate is the hype for Raclette cheese?

8. Gaemnomut

Gaemnomut Well worn.

I quite like it to Raclette. It has a nice consistency and taste if melted and I think it fits well to the roasted meat and vegetables and such, but I don't use it too much for other things.

Somebody likes this.
  9. Threadmarks: Some South-East Asia-nised Meat sauce - Evillevi
    Evillevi

Evillevi Shadow Pika!

Here's a recipe for some South-East Asia-nised Meat sauce for pasta

Tomato n Chilly meat sauce.

Ingredient Proportion based on the meat component
    • 1X Minced Meat, Pork in my case(Salt+oregano+Oyster sauce marinade for 1 hour)
    • 0.3 -0.5X minced Onion/Garlic , personally put it in blender it's easier that way
    • 0.4X Carrots
    • 0.2X of quartered tomato,
    • 0.1X of canned Tomato purree
    • 0.1-0.2X Chilly sauce as preferred
    • Oregano + Thyme + Water + Sugar + Salt + any other herbs + Vinegar for seasoning to taste at the end
    Bottled Chilly sauce for reference
    [​IMG]

Steps
    1. Fry the onion/Garlic for a minute
    2. Add n Stir the carrots for a couple of minute
    3. Add , Stir, and break apart the meat for another 2-3 minutes
    4. Add and stir the tomato Puree for a couple of minutes
    5. Add n stir quartered tomatoes, you can immediately proceed to
    6. Add water until it reached your desired ratio/thiccness of liquid to Solid
    7. Add n Stir Chilly sauce , Proceed immediately to next step
    8. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until everything is well cooked, stir occasionally as needed.
      1. Add additional seasoning/ingredients as prefered.
      2. Typically I add more sugar.
    9. Sauce is now ready to serve with pasta.
    Background
    Chili Sos is the most accessible form of concetrated flavour, especially in the case in Malaysia where tomato quality is not consistent.

Canned tomato + Sugar+ Cut tomato gives it some of that tomato flavour without overspending on tomatoes.

You can technically replace the meat with any type of protein that breaks down into that pebbles of protein for texture as the oyster sauce adds the umami.

This is a very chinese way of cooking since it relies on adding premade sauces/purees to up complexity without spending on expensive/non-native ingredients.

Sydonai, Ilikebob, vyor and 3 others like this.
  10. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

I imagine you cook the meat separately, or is it cooked in this step?

11. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

No, no, from the looks of it you cook them together.

12. Evillevi

Evillevi Shadow Pika!

It's a one pot sauce.

Edit: Everything is added into one at a time, combining the flavours as best as possible

Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
    da3monh0st3d, kinglugia and vyor like this.
  13. Threadmarks: Homemade Raita to cut curry spice heat - Biigoh
    Biigoh

Makes some raita with fine strips of cucumber, finely diced onion, finiely dice spring onion, pinch of salt and ground cumin.... and plain yogurt.

You can use any cucumber, be it long english, fat field cukes, small japanese cucumber. But must be sliced into very thin strips/straws, about the length of a finger worth of cucumber.
    A single fine slice of onion that is then diced up.
    A single spring onion or cilantro sliced up finely.

Mix ingredients into a large bowl of yogart.

Add salt and cumin to taste.

Mix and let it rest in the fridge for an hour plus.

It'll be good for 1-2 days. Goes well with curry and rice.

wasprider, Ilikebob, Sydonai and 2 others like this.
  14. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Nice salad recipe bro.

15. Biigoh

Erm... it's more yogurt flavored with veggies and spices.

kinglugia likes this.
  16. obojaiu

obojaiu Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Just stumbled upon this yogurt-flavored adventure with veggies and spices – sounds like a taste explosion! Got any tips or secret ingredients to share? Also, thinking about brunch near me, any must-try recipes that would make my weekend brunch a hit? Let's keep the kitchen vibes alive!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
    kinglugia, vyor and wasprider like this.
  17. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

So post the recipe!

18. GLH

GLH Really?

For me, the pasta shape and style I dislike the most is Angelhair Pasta. Mostly because I dislike the texture of it when it is cooked.

On another note, I have recently learned how to make spaghetti pasta turn out more like ramen noodles. How? 1/2 to 1 tablespoon baking soda in the boiling water as the pasta cooks, before draining and quickly rinsing them off and then placing it in a seperate pot with broth water.

Somebody and kinglugia like this.
  19. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

...what would you call broth water?

Somebody likes this.
  20. YiteWrite

YiteWrite TALI ASS TALI ASS TALI ASS Moderator

Water that has been broth'd.

Somebody likes this.
  21. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

*checks*
    Oh, nvm I get it now.

Somebody likes this.
  22. Threadmarks: Daikon "steak" - Youtube
    Biigoh

23. Threadmarks: Basic bitch Indian-style omelet - Somebody
    Somebody

Somebody Experienced.

Thought I'd toss my hat in the ring with:

Basic bitch Indian-style omelet

Ingredients (For one egg. Scaling up is easier than scaling down)

- 1 Tablespoon oil, butter, or whatever fat you use for cooking. If you have a nonstick, use the fat anyways, just drop it down to a teaspoon instead. The oil is as much for flavor as lubrication
    - 1/8 to 1/6 onion, diced small works best, but sliced is fine too. My own recommendation is to go with a mild onion, or if using a red onion then to brown it first to cook off the raw onion taste.
    - 1 green chilli, sliced
    - 1/8 to 1/6 tomato, diced into small cubes. Note, you're making an omelet with stuff in it, not stuff with an egg binding.
    - A small bunch of coriander leaves, plucked from their stems (you can leave these out if you like:V)
    - Pinch of red chilli powder (that's 1/8th of a teaspoon for those pinchically challenged like myself)
    - Up to 1/4 teaspoon of salt (adjust as per preference)
    - 1 egg. Of course
    - Splash of water

Recipe

- Those ingredients owe you money (except for the oil, he's good on his debts, never misses a payment or is late). Toss 'em in a bowl and beat them until everything's mixed thoroughly together. There should be no streaks of whites left in there. The water helps loosen things up.
    - Heat up the oil on medium heat. In the pan, of course—we don't want any reports of arson.
    - Once the oil is hot, turn the heat down to low and add in the egg mixture. Don't pour from too high up, that'll force the oil out from underneath and lead to stickage. Try to bring the bowl as close to the pan as possible. Using a spoon, wooden or otherwise, try to distribute the mixture as evenly as you can manage. Trying the French method of "push the edges and tilt the pan" won't work here, since it'll just smoosh all the ingredients in the center and leave you with a sad omelet. Also, try not to spread the omelet too thin—this needs to flip, and if it's too thin then it'll rip.
    - Fry the omelet until the top seems set, then flip. Cook the other side as well. Note that the eggs need to be set before you can flip, or else the omelet rips. Also, lightly jiggling the pan helps keep
    - Cook both sides brown. Think "milk coffee", not "loam". You want color here, don't be scared to lift the eggs slightly to check for doneness. Black is burnt. Black is bitter. Black is bad.
    - Serve hot with a paratha and tea. Eat with your hands, you can wash 'em later.

Notes

- This is basically a flat frittatta. It just tastes more "Indian" because we're using red chilli powder instead of black pepper, and there's green chillis and coriander leaves in there.
    - You can adjust the salt as you please, just don't try to undersalt it. The salt helps balance out the bite of the red chilli powder. Without it, the chilli powder just makes the thing taste horribly sharp.
    - This tastes absolutely heavenly with pickled green mangoes, but exercise caution when eating Indian style pickles. These are made in mustard oil, not vinegar, and they tend to smell. While not as sour smelling as vinegar, and in my opinion much more pleasant, the smell from these pickles lingers horribly, and even washing your hands with soap and brushing your teeth can't remove the smell. If you want to try them, make sure to handle them at a distance, and make sure you're not gonna be meeting company afterwards—even for people here in the subcontinent, that smell is just impolite.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  24. Threadmarks: Peanut Butter Bread - Youtube
    Nenshou Yuuki

Nenshou Yuuki Experienced.

I found this recipe online and it's pretty good

I usually make the 30's version but I make the 40's one every now and then.

People got really creative with peanut butter and potatoes during the depression

25. Threadmarks: Radish steak - Aleh
    Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

If you use watermelon radish instead of daikon, substitute vegetable bouillon for chicken, and use a teaspoon or so of miso instead of the butter, you wind up with a result that looks and tastes an awful like a beef steak despite being entirely vegetarian.

Just confirmed. It was delicious.

Imabot, Ilikebob, aquinas and 3 others like this.
  26. Threadmarks: Korean Corn Cheese - Serious Eats
    TheGrog

TheGrog In the number mines

https://www.seriouseats.com/korean-corn-cheese-5196495

You don't really need a cast iron skillet. Broiling it is nice but hardly required. I do strongly recommend adding some processed cheese or sodium citrate.

I prefer making mine with gochugang, which is the pepper version of doenjang, but it's still not all that hot.

Adding some meat is also pretty good and there is a somewhat related recipe using chicken, but you have to brown & cook the meat separately.

If nothing else, some doenjang or gochugang combined with 'real' cheese and a bit of process cheese makes a flavorful cheese sauce.

Sydonai, Biigoh and kinglugia like this.
  27. Hellhound_dow

Hellhound_dow Getting sticky.

Broccoli & Cheese Soup

Ingredients:
    5 Cups Water
    1 Can Milk
    1 Large Head Fresh Broccoli Washed and Chopped Coarse
    1 Teaspoon Salt
    ¼ Teaspoon Pepper
    4 Tablespoons Cornstarch (For Cornstarch Mixture)
    ¼ Cup Water (For Cornstarch Mixture)
    1 Pound Easy Melt Cheese (Or Velveeta Cheese)

Directions:
    Combine 5 Cups water, 1 Can Milk, and Broccoli to a pot. Simmer until Broccoli is done.
    Cut cheese into one inch cubes.
    Add in Salt, Pepper, and Easy Melt Cheese to pot.
    Add the Cornstarch to the ¼ Cup Water and stir until thoroughly mixed, then stir into the pot.
    Heat until thickened.

wasprider, Dozla and Sydonai like this.
  28. seeing_octarine

seeing_octarine Unverified Colour

More generally, any sort of broccoli plus cheese sauce is good. Throw in some pasta too somehow if you want to make a proper meal of it.

Cheese and broccoli soup? Great.
    Broccoli alfredo? Super.
    Broccoli pasta with mornay sauce? Fantastic.
    Some sort of baked macaroni cheese broccoli dish? Why not, sounds delicious.

Just don't overcook the broccoli. Anything beyond blanched semi-crispness is bad civilisation.

29. Hellhound_dow

Hellhound_dow Getting sticky.

I prefer mine in a fresh baked bread bowl. Sometimes adding cubed baked ham and corn, also. My mother likes to add cauliflower to hers sometimes.

I agree on the broccoli crispness, too. I hate overcooked vegetables.

As for macaroni and cheese, chop up some steamed broccoli and grilled chicken breast and mix together for a cheap and easy meal.

kinglugia likes this.
  30. Highlord

Highlord Versed in the lewd.

Just put what will be a late dinner in the crock pot. A simple chuck roast with onions and apples in sweet red wine and worcestershire sauce with fresh garlic and cracked black pepper.

Also put some fresh wheat dough in the bread maker, and will be steaming some broccoli with sea salt and butter.

Thus begins my quest to eat better in 2024. Started out okay in January, but fell off when I supplemented with off the shelf granola bars loaded with extra sugar.

Ilikebob, Biigoh, wasprider and 3 others like this.