1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with the recent annoyance

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by Master of Squirrel-fu, May 17, 2014.

1. Master of Squirrel-fu

Master of Squirrel-fu The Original

So as a few of you may have noticed Seadart, our own personal troll has taken it upon himself to try and fuck with us yet again. Honestly it's not a major problem as of yet but it can probably and likely will just get worse. Right now it's just a bit of annoyance and some extra work from me and Greyon. We are currently attempting to find a way to put a stop to his shit.

Neither me nor Teh Elgee are perfect, and while I can't speak for LG I myself am a bit new to this whole forum management thing and a few things about the internet that most people know about I'm still a bit ignorant on. So any suggestions or information that could help in this endeavor would be much appreciated.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  2. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

Seadart was making noises in IRC about how the site attempted to ban Tor, but was unsuccessful. I'm not sure how the current ban is worked, but doing an actual IP ban on all Tor exits should be possible; it might have to dynamically query here. If that's put in place, then a similar IP ban on his own machine should also tell (modulo ISP dynamic IPs, but those aren't as easy to rotate as Tor exits).

There's also the possibility of blocking his temp-email provider, which per his screenshots is guerrillamail.com. That website also says that it forwards from guerillamailblock.com, sharklasers.com, guerrillamail.net, guerillamail.org, guerillamail.biz, spam4.me, grr.la, and guerrillamail.de. If you disallow any E-mail under any of those domains, it should do something.

Also, is this subforum visible to guests?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  3. noahgab1133

noahgab1133 Don't you trust me?

you can also set 24 hour wait period for new mems to post.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. Master of Squirrel-fu

Right now a member needs to be approved by either me or LG to post

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  5. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

Yes.

And I'm trying to find a way to ban Tor that's not dependent on host names.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  6. Jiven

Jiven Most Excellent Lurker

I could appreciate if you don't generally ban Tor, as I might have to use it in the close future.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  7. nightblade

nightblade Gone for Good

School?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  8. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

Unfortunately, there's no other choice. It's either ban all of Tor's servers, or none.

You can thank Seadart for it.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  9. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

Jiven: if you don't actually need anonymization, but just a proxy, it's pretty easy to set up your own home computer (if it's on all the time) to act as a proxy such that you can forward a Web session through it like you can Tor. This just makes your traffic appear to come from your home computer, even when you're elsewhere.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  10. Jiven

Jiven Most Excellent Lurker

It's actually a project with a friend, a experience to give someone total anonymity on the internet.
    Tor was a possible solution.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  11. the_robot

the_robot Gone for Good

His response?
    [​IMG]

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  12. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Wait, we have our own personal full-time troll? Cool. We must be moving up in the world. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  13. nightblade

nightblade Gone for Good

You really want to fuck with seadart give the mods and admins on sb the ip and emails he has been using to get on qq. He will then have all the sockpuppets he has on sb banned and probably get a several day ban on sb as well. That's what the mods on SV did to set.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  14. nightblade

nightblade Gone for Good

Also how the fuck is he getting past needing admin approval? Is he hacking the site?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  15. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Easily. Spam 350 registration requests and have 325 be obvious Seadart expies with the other 25 looking normal.

Just curious, isn't there a method to get the his computer's MAC address and then just ban that?

As far as I know the MAC is hardcoded into the hardware itself, changing it would require buying new hardware.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  16. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

More like he popped up on IRC to ask for access... but am fairly certain it's not SeaDart... but I could be wrong.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  17. Selias

Selias Well worn.

We have a troll? Good thing I'm not a goat-farmer.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  18. nightblade

nightblade Gone for Good

This doesn't scream seadart making a new account to troll at all Bi?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  19. nightblade

nightblade Gone for Good

Hate to break it to you but if that happened I would ban all of them. Cause that's a really obvious attempt by seadart to get on this forum.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  20. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

That is the most general description of the process. The idea is to flood the mods with invites and keep their attention on the obvious ones so that the ones that look like a normal request slip by. It would involve multiple email providers, lots of proxies, and some real dedication if he doesn't have the knowledge to make a program to automate it.

If he doesn't, his dedication to being a troll is rather impressive. Annoying as all hell and makes me wish I had the knowledge for a counterhack to alter his BIOS settings to make his comp fry itself, but still impressive.

Note that it should be obvious that I have no relevant knowledge in how hacking works or if that's possible to do remotely, I mention it because I fried my own comp in doing so without knowing what I was doing. Luckily it was a fairly cheap one, but I know it can be done on accident so doing it on purpose should be nasty.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  21. nightblade

nightblade Gone for Good

Is anyone besides me kind of pissed that Bii let seadart on the forum? I mean look at his email at his latest account and what he posted. Pretty damn obvious it's him.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  22. ChandraMagic

ChandraMagic Just a Bit Ditzy Moderator

Enh, if Seadart wants to be an asshole, than that's what he's going to be (and yes, I know, he doesn't like being called an asshole, but his trolling is pretty assholish, so...). I'm not going to advocate Bii, or anyone else, to ban a suspected sockpuppet account, just on 'well, it's obviously him' type shit. When he does something assholish, and he will (or he has, if the post you are talking about is him), then you ban him and you start looking at those other accounts that came in around that time.

Frankly, let SeaDart waste the energy and prove his sockpuppet accounts. He isn't worth wasting our energy over.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  23. nightblade

nightblade Gone for Good

Look at this. Look! This is obviously seadart.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  24. DuskAtDawn

DuskAtDawn Of the Thousand Faces

Which account is it?

Also, the mods have to be careful about not blanket-denying applications. It's one thing to not be allowed to post, but membership allows read privileges for the NSFW section, by far the most popular part of the site, judging by the recent topics section. A good portion of the members here have 0 posts, and only sign up so they can read the quests here. It's why I joined, at first.

@Nightblade
    Who? Robot? I doubt it, for some reason. Not sure why... but it's just too obvious, if that makes any sense.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  25. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

Refuge in Audacity. Make it so blatantly obvious that it can't be him because it just too obvious. Like registering a new account named Dart_of_the_Sea or something similar.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  26. Master of Squirrel-fu

There is a method that could mark his computer for us but it seemed to invasive since it would mark everyone else's too. Security for liberty and all that.

I suppose we could possibly start contacting the new members and ask for existing past accounts on other sites to contact to help verify identity as not being Seaderp...

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  27. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

[me=theweepingman]scratches head[/me]
    I'm happy admin/mod is serious in their works, of course, but background check? Really? I mean, it seems like it will inconvenience you as well..

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  28. Silversun17

Silversun17 Connoisseur.

if you do that make sure to explain why it's being done. people will be less offended and/or more cooperative if you explain the situation.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  29. ReinZero

ReinZero QQ voters, geniuses at opposing their own goals.

For some reason, I can't access the irc... is something going on with that regard?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  30. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Why does Seadart even want to do this? It honestly seems like a lot of trouble for very little "reward."

Ddmkm122 likes this.