1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Exalted 3E Discussion

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Feb 4, 2015.

1. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

Arise!

Arms of the Chosen's advance PDF has landed in DriveThruRPG. Lots of examples, not as much guidelines in creating them as people may have wanted. Artifacts are all semi-aware and bond with their owners. Binary affinity has been replaced with a trinary resonant/neutral/dissonant system, with Solars retaining their wonderful universal resonance. Artifacts are more powerful than we thought. Warstriders! ...and an Evangelion.

Only $15, pretty cheap for a 173pg splat.

2. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

I will be buying this posthaste and sharing my impressions as soon as I have time to make them.

3. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

$15 for an 'advance' copy?

4. Sydonai

Sydonai Versed in the lewd.

$15 for a "we have not yet errata'd this thing" copy.

5. Valette-Serafina

Valette-Serafina Shameless Shadow

Literally a year and a half for part 2 of the core rulebook. Jokes are supposed to be funny.

I'm not going to spend money on it, but I'd rather like to see a list of the things from the core rulebook that AotC directly contradicts.

I'm also going to put odds on Manual: Dragonblooded taking at least another year, leaving Ex3's creation functionally unplayable for two and a half years.

1986ctcel and Prince Charon like this.
  6. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Been hearing surprisingly good things about Arms on SV of all places, so I've picked it up and will see for myself.

7. Sydonai

Apparently the Craft rules in the Corebook got errata'd here, but that's all I've heard about so far.

1986ctcel and Valette-Serafina like this.
  8. Valette-Serafina

Well. I'm shocked, and slightly disbelieving that they managed.
    Of course, it remains to be seen if they made anything better.

9. tehelgee

No, two Charms got errata'd. The Craft system is still the same.

Sydonai likes this.
  10. Valette-Serafina

Which is to say, practically useless?

Also, nice to see that they're adding errata to the second book in the edition. Really showing the quality there, Onyx Path.

11. tehelgee

So... why not just walk away, then? You've already said you were done with 3E, yet here you are, shitposting about it again.

UrsaTempest and Smuthunter like this.
  12. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

So as it turns out I still have $10 credited to me on Drivethru RPG because they goofed something up with my order of the core rulebook way back when, so I get to buy Arms for $5. Lucky!

Bre Karn, Biigoh and Sydonai like this.
  13. tehelgee

Get to reading!

Also, the last two warstriders are strongly inspired by anime, see if you can tell what they are.

14. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Gib img plz.

15. tehelgee

Piracy rule prevents me. Besides, one of them doesn't have an image, only a description.

16. Valette-Serafina

Criticism is not shitposting. This is a discussion thread.

Sydonai likes this.
  17. tehelgee

Constant criticism is, though. Every time you enter this thread, it's some variant of 'this game sucks, you guys'.

18. Valette-Serafina

No, it isn't. I am speaking my mind on information relating to Ex3. Honest opinions from someone who backed the kickstarter and has been playing exalted for eight years now.

I think the game has problems. I think the release schedule cripples any game set in creation, and that they would have been better off leading with Dragonblooded for once. I think that errata showing up in the second book is a sign that core is half-assed.

These are things worth discussing and this is a discussion thread.

If you'd prefer nothing but positivity about this system, perhaps you should make a news thread, or an appreciation thread.

Sydonai likes this.
  19. backtoback

backtoback Getting sticky.

While I usually lurk, here's my two cents...

Criticism is fine but your constant negativity is the equivalent of someone at exg saying DEAD GAEM every thread.

Yes we know that the Craft system sucks, the release schedule is fucked(though considering the sheer shit happening at OPP I can give the new dev some slack), and charm bloat and yes we know

Most of these things used to be worth discussing now it's just beating a horse's skeleton.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  20. Bre Karn

Bre Karn (Very Slow) Writer of Glorious Smut

Are these the Charms that pertain to awakening Evocations?

21. backtoback

backtoback Getting sticky.

Yeah, the one that allows you to give(or awaken) one and another that changes the Artifact's evocations

Sydonai and Bre Karn like this.
  22. Bre Karn

Bre Karn (Very Slow) Writer of Glorious Smut

What about wastriders? Do they have specific rules due to scale or something, is it better than the Ex2 warstriders?

23. tehelgee

Yep. In summary, pilot has to train to use warstriders, but they get bonuses to Strength(like... a 4 Str character that's trained will have 7 Str in the warstrider and can do Str 15 Feats of Strength), the pilot can't be attacked without someone pulling off a difficulty 9 gambit, warstriders come with 30 HLs(-0*5/-1*5/-2*10/-4*10), have a unique 'devestating action' each turn in addition to their regular attack+move actions, and have the benefit of the Legendary Size merit. Downside is that against single human size targets, they suffer a -4 to hit/see them, and warstriders require maintenance every ten hours of operation(requires Craft(First Age Artifice) 5, Craft(Artifacts) 5, Lore 5, Occult 5, and Terrestrial Circle Sorcery for repairs and maintenance).

Warstrider evocations can fairly well lead to weapons of mass destruction, but fall short in duels. You don't take a warstrider to fight an Anathema, you take it to fight his army and hope the Immaculate monks can handle him themselves.

1986ctcel, Bre Karn and Sydonai like this.
  24. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Mmmkay, only had a bit of time to read the new stuff, just plowed through the first chapter while I was killing time at work. Here's my initial thoughts:

The cover art is nice, but the weapon designs all look pretty generic. The pic is obviously supposed to be someone stumbling on a treasure trove of ancient artifacts but they just look like mastercraft normal weapons. Eh, too nitpicky to dock points for it.

Tessaiga gets a namedrop in the obligatory inspirations blurb three paragraphs into the introduction. The recommended media section includes a snarky jab at Tite Kubo's shit writing in the same sentence that it recommends Bleach on the basis of Zanpakuto designs. Fate/Zero gets a mention for noble phantasms but then surprisingly they mention Sailor Moon as an inspiration too, I guess for non-weapon artifacts. And of course there's Vision of Escaflowne for warstrider stuff.

Chapter 1 gets my attention almost immediately with a mention of artifacts made by the primordials, "Many are of such bizarre configuration that only Lunars, by dint of shapeshifting prowess, might wield them unmodified." Suck it Solars! /s The rest is mostly just history stuff, lots of sample tales of Exalted legends and the artifacts they wielded and lots more namedrops of new/old stuff mentioned in passing, like an atlas owned by Brigid. Then there's a brief recap of the rules for magical materials, what they're good at, who has good and bad synergy with what, etc. I think the only new thing here is that un-Exalted creatures are either dissonant or neutrally-aligned with most artifacts save for storyteller-specific exceptions.

The Craft errata deals specifically with two charms: Design Beyond Limit now lets you spend a few hours to reforge an artifact in order to unlock an evocation you qualify for beyond the usual limit of evocations per artifact without spending EXP, but can only be done once per story per artifact. Celestial Reforging Technique now lets you respec your purchased evocations on an artifact, but again only once per story per artifact.

Chapter 2 is just a big list of weapon artifacts and evocations and I'm still plowing through this section. Items of note include:

Courante and Galliard, twin swords meant to be wielded by best friends or lovers, whose evocations encourage combo attacks and defend other actions aimed at each other and whose capstone charm lets them do the fusion dance and become a ten foot asura thing.

Gnomon, a starmetal wrackstaff, grants the user the power to slow and stop time and a bunch of tricks to do while time is stopped. Its capstone charm causes the staff to sprout a peach of immortality once a decade but you can speed it up by committing a legendary heist or crime. Its creator also had balls of pure titanium.

There's some neat weapon ideas in here: a dragon sigh wand with fire element evocations ("Fire that Burns Flame" sums this up nicely), a siege crossbow, Shipbreaker, meant to be used as an aquatic weapon, and of course Stormcaller, the sword that conjures a hurricane as you fight with it.

25. tehelgee

This is the one weapon I didn't like because it WILL break in a fight, maybe even very early.

26. Valette-Serafina

Oh, hey. Unity of the closed fist. I wonder if they've worked out the issues with that concept.

1986ctcel, kinglugia and Sydonai like this.
  27. Sydonai

What I dislike about it is that it goes directly against their previous stance of "Every Artifact/Daiklave is a unique and special treasure" by showing off an armory of dozens of generic Artifact weapons.
    Hey, there were more weapons than you might think; http://sailormoon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Attack_Items

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    1986ctcel and Valette-Serafina like this.
  28. Stroth

Stroth Definitely not an AI

29. Sydonai

You mean like how Exalts use Artifacts to channel offensive Evocations?
    Meaning that they count as weapons just as much as those Artifacts do.

30. Stroth

Stroth Definitely not an AI

If an artifact's primary purpose is acting as a divination focus, then the fact that you can use one of its evocations to throw blasts of water at someone doesn't make it a weapon, it makes it a divination artifact whose creator apparently had weird issues.