1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Gendered nouns, nonstandard and otherwise

Discussion in 'General' started by Valette-Serafina, Jul 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garahs

Garahs Soil Surveyor

And Anita doesn't why? Because she's a woman? She does spout the same shit as Thompson. All she's doing is swapping out violence for sexism and it's the same argument, which has been disproven.

Also, what failure to analyze? I don't see anything from you in the last few pages.

2. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

But she didn't attack it for that(she was talking about fucking mario). No, she just said it was sexist.

3. 1986ctcel

1986ctcel Connoisseur.

Except Thompson was flat out lying and telling everyone it made kids into carjacking mass shooters, Anita just points out shit and the problematic interpretations/implications and wants games to improve

In my post you quoted above that section, yes you TECHNICALLY get penalized (don't get the highest rank or something) but you can easily go guns blazing if you just want to have fun killing people. I mean GTA technically penalizes you for going on killing sprees but Rampage challenges with bonuses and shit still exist and if you tell me that just getting sent to the hospital without you're huns and a small amount of cash missing is really dissuade people from doing that then you're a liar

Thompson flat out tried to ban games while Anita has REPEATEDLY stated that just because you like a game that has problems with DOESN'T mean you like sexism and stuff.
    It is, because Peach almost NEVER does anything except get captured she's fucking USELESS.

tighearnach and daimahou like this.
  4. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

It's fascinating discussion and all, but I believe it's rather off-topic?

daimahou and pepperjack like this.
  5. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

She was attacking the original. That's also wrong, see: the rpgs.

6. 1986ctcel

1986ctcel Connoisseur.

Well then its true, she does nothing in the original except wait to be rescued Are we REALLY debating this? Look at the freaking trope name and how many times its appeared in games and myths plus its a freaking 80s game.

And what does Peach ACTUALLY accomplish in the RPGs without needing Mario to save her? Hell how many RPG games where she does shit are there versus all the OTHER ones where she's the equivalent of Mario's stolen lawn gnome?

7. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Well, there's the Hitman thing of course.

Oh, and Assassin's Creed. Apparently she really hated those courtesans. Never mind the fact that it's a historically accurate (well, for video game standards) and these women probably do more to save the main character's ass than the main character does. Strong female characters who are confident in their sexuality and more useful at times than the main character? That's sexism, now? Did I miss a memo?

Princess Peach is an icon of sexism. Riiiight.

Sending death threats *to herself*... then tweeting about them... yeup, there's that...

Oh, and I'll just link this article to her showing on Colbert's show

http://realgamernewz.com/41779/anita-sarkeesian-gets-exposed-as-a-fraud-by-stephen-colbert

More because I truly love Colbert than anything else. The man is funny, and his researchers *actually do research*, instead of the typical lazy news journalism. Granted, I wish he'd be more serious, but there's few if any that are more dedicated to getting to the truth.

And it's not so much that she does these things. That makes her a pathetic brat who got lucky at best, and a despicable con artist at worst. What bothers me is that it's this obvious, and still people jump to her defense.

That's where the problem lies in modern feminism. They're not willing to stand up and say "this is wrong" when their own pull this kind of bullshit. And until they are, they are deserving of the contempt they receive.

EDIT: Anyway, going to sleep now. This discussion doesn't trump my brief respite from consciousness.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  8. Master of Squirrel-fu

Master of Squirrel-fu The Original

The Merriam-Webster definition which equates it to Sex as defined "The male/female gender" and simply put "The state of being [either] male or female." You're definition is listed on there as the last entry but it seems likely that it's to define the the use of the word as an adjective rather than a noun.

Edit: Ugh, as much as I love etymology and learning more about the English language it really is a no win situation to argue it. Again, as has been said before. When you argue English you are always wrong.

9. pepperjack

pepperjack A Variety of Cheese

Well, you're half right.

10. powerofvoid

powerofvoid Versed in the lewd.

Here's the only part of this post that's maybe even slightly relevant, IMO, and only in the context of your also unsubstantiated claims that the social justice movement defends her doing this.

Because we're not talking about whether Anita Sarkeesian is worth listening to, we're talking about your claim that she damns the entire social justice movement.

11. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

Megaolix, could you split this discussion into its own thread for us, please?

12. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Ah, but I didn't say that, and if you listened instead of deciding I'm the enemy and looking for ways to attack me, you'd know that.

13. powerofvoid

Here's what I saw:

14. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Only if you cherry pick my, and others', words to ignore the actual points.

Oh, and of course the shit that I was *personally on the receiving end of* for writing a story which portrayed a female-on-male rape in both a serious and sympathetic light for the male victim. Where I was told repeatedly and in no uncertain terms that it was impossible for women to rape men, and by saying otherwise it was an attack on women.

It's an endemic problem, with symptoms everywhere. Acknowledge it as such. And don't play the whitewash game on me.

15. powerofvoid

According to Anita Sarkeesian's wikipedia page, she merely talked about sexism in videogames, while Jack Thompson engaged in lawsuits and political campaigns to have videogames banned.

One of these things is not like the other.

tighearnach likes this.
  16. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Jesus. Tapdancing. Christ. It's literally the last thing I said on the post right above yours.

17. powerofvoid

"If they believed in that, they'd be defending Thompson as well," implies that Anita Sarkeesian and Jack Thompson did similar things, and therefore defending Sarkeesian but not Thompson is bias.

tighearnach likes this.
  18. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

First- you're wrong.

Second- I note you deliberately ignoring all the other points made. So still whitewashing.

19. powerofvoid

I'm focusing on one point at a time, and you've called this the biggest problem.

What are you saying I'm wrong about?
    • Are you saying Sarkeesian did lobby and sue for certain games to be banned?
    • Are you saying that defending someone who did X but not someone who did Y is hypocritical?
    • >_______ ?

tighearnach and pepperjack like this.
  20. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

I did not call it the "biggest" problem. I called it a symptom of the disease, and that said disease is the biggest problem. But since you can't actually address that, I'm going to operate on the assumption that you know I'm right and want to avoid others figuring it out.

You're wrong that the lobbying or lack thereof makes a difference. It does not. The lying, misrepresentations and attention seeking- then playing the victim card when being called out on those actions- are the flaws in both Sarkeesian and Thompson. The flaw in the SJWs and neo-feminists is that they're defending these actions and playing the victim card themselves.

21. powerofvoid

Would you say that the "disease" is "defending all members of the in-group under all circumstances no matter what"?

tighearnach likes this.
  22. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Gentlemen, Ladies, and Assorted Creatures, I get that some discussions can get heated, be it online or in real life. I really do, it is human nature.

That said, this discussion is not in the rants subforum and as such I am going to ask that you keep this discussion polite and be excellent to each other, also please don't startle the tanuki or the mods....

23. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

I'll ask even better than that.

Guys, if discussions is headed that way, do make a thread for Gamergate. The topic is volatile enough that it should have its own thread and remains there.

24. Garahs

Garahs Soil Surveyor

And done

Are you able to move it over, Mega? I don't know how much Mods are able to do.

25. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Is it REALLY needed? Seems this started since a few pages ago. That's rather a lot of posts to move...

26. Garahs

Garahs Soil Surveyor

If you need to move them one at a time, don't bother. I'll just link to where it begins. As I said, I don't know how much you guys can do. I was hoping you could multi-select and move them easily.

27. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Far too specific and absolutist for my tastes. Any step toward rejecting the concept of "us vs them" is always a step in the right direction, and "defending the in group" runs contrary to that goal. But so does absolutist statements. So I have mixed feelings... but I'll consider this a reasonable guideline at first glance

Let's add in promoting hate speech. Dehumanizing victims of crime, and indeed claiming certain horrific crimes cannot be crimes if men are the victims. It's not like Sarkeesian is anywhere near the only example. Just one of the most currently visible.

We'll see how it survives the battlefield.

28. Dakkaface

Dakkaface Magical Defender of Justice

Shakespeare & Jane Austen disagree:

There's not a man I meet but doth salute me
    As if I were their well-acquainted friend

"Who is in love with her? Who makes you their confidant?"

29. snthsnth

snthsnth Versed in the lewd.

In the first I'd argue that it's probable that 'man' refers to mankind, but let's ignore that for now. In both these examples the individual the pronoun refers to is abstracted. It's not, 'Is John in love with her? What makes you their confidant?' which clearly is lesser for the use of 'their' instead of 'his'.

I suppose that the use of 'them' and 'their' is acceptable when referring to an abstracted individual, but when dealing with a specific individual gendered nouns are superior.

Dakkaface likes this.
  30. Subrosian Smithy

Subrosian Smithy Lady of the Mysteries

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.